What speaking habits have you picked up from the GB crew?

• 141 results
fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I linked a friend of mine to a best of GB video recently and asked him what he thought. He came back with an unexpected reply, "They sound like you."

I'm Australian, so he clearly wasn't talking about the accents (Brad Shoemaker aside) so I thought about it and realised I have definitely incorporated a bunch of little ticks and habits into my dialogue. Two major ones - the rising two-syllable "uuu-uuummm" (you know the one) when thinking about something, and a good solid "huh" upon hearing something interesting. New recruit Austin Walker is a fantastic proponent of "huh". HUH.

Has anyone else noticed something like this? Surely YEARS of listening to these folks talk has rubbed off on a few others?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

They have added heavily to my random assortment of english phrases and mannerisms. It's super weird to live so distanced from where these actually originate, because I jump from west coast slang, to glasgow slang to new york slang... All of that just by osmosis from american media and english speaking friends on VOIP.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

There are more but few that comes to mind are : "Hot garbage" , "..... you guys!", "Opinions how do they work?", "Sure".

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

"Hot garbage" gets used a lot.

MikeW1980UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When Ass Cree 3 came out, I said to someone "Oh, the third Ass Cree game"

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

ostensibly

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, hey, hi.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Brad have an accent? O_o I guess I never noticed. I'm from the same part of the world as him (about 2 states south of his haha) so maybe thats why. I've found myself saying twister as 'tweester' as a joke sometimes after hearing Dan at the most recent Mario party party live.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Jeff and Ryan taught me a bunch of classic NorCal sass.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Describing something as "super ___". I try to catch myself before doing it as I'm not much a fan of it, but it slips out.

I definitely throw out a "Huh." every now and then as well.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Honkalot

Most recently I say hot minute ostensibly every hot minute.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I still use the word Dumb as an affectionate adjective for something with charm but less serious significance - I got this from Ryan.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@tobbrobb said:

They have added heavily to my random assortment of english phrases and mannerisms. It's super weird to live so distanced from where these actually originate, because I jump from west coast slang, to glasgow slang to new york slang... All of that just by osmosis from american media and english speaking friends on VOIP.

Hah! Me too, it must be really weird hearing us Glasgow folks saying yeah instead of aye constantly ^_^ I use the word super too often when trying to highlight stuff and use the words jank and jankey a lot. I probably use more than i realise but im not concious of anything until people point it out.

SketchAEtch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Hot garbage" is forever in my lexicon.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sinusoidal

I used the term "hot garbage" before I ever heard it on Giant Bomb (it's a music thing I think) but I'm pretty sure I use it more now. Jeff just enunciates it so well.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

They have increased my use of the word "ostensibly" by quite a lot.

Avatar image for terminallychill
terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By terminallychill

Using "you're not wrong" to agree with people. I also picked up hot minute from Austin as well, but I had to google it to realize it meant a long time as opposed to short haha

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By fram

@cale:That's pretty good! Almost goes into New Zealand for a moment, but passable for sure. Regarding Brad, I was referencing this beautiful thing:

Loading Video...

@redyoshi: Oh man, I totally missed super. I use that all the time! I think Idle Thumbs got me saying super too.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few over the years

Recently, "Hot minute" Thanks Austin.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've regrettably picked up some of Rykert's sayings. Profound phrases like do a thing. Or do an "adjectivey" thing. I've also been partial to "hot garbage". My favorite that i use is "dark business".

retrometal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fram:

Saying "Fuck" all the time?

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I use 'rad' a lot more than I used to and have caught myself often describing things as 'dumb' in a very Jeff-esque way.

tackystuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tackystuff

From Jeff, which he says probably once every five minutes: "It's one of those things where..."

From Dan: "Do a thing."

From Austin, and my favorite phrase: "<Subject> got dunked on."

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By glots

"Who knows? No one ever." I don't know if that has been uttered more than once, but it really stuck to my mind.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Carryboy

Whenever I hear someone say Huh very pronounced I tend to automatically assume they are a nobhead

WelshCleats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WelshCleats

I work with a lot of people who I often have to speak to quick in person. "Duder" has slowly creeped in to replace "buddy" much of the time (I had inherited "buddy" from some of previous cooks).

"Hot garbage" definitely gets thrown around, interesting to see so many other people have picked it up.

"Broken,"or at least the parlance of it - i.e. "that shit is broken" in the way of Jeff or Ryan gets thrown around a lot. I'm sure there's at least a couple more examples than this..

On a somewhat related note, I feel I've gotten better about listening to people and then forming a response by listening to the duders so much - Drew and Vinny are especially good in this regard. Austin as well.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god, I don't even know at this point. Reading responses from others here all I can say is I didn't even know I picked most of these up from here. Well, except Hot Garbage. That one is pretty rad.

Ryan definitely got me to use 'dumb' to be affectionate. Like Just Cause or similar games, they're the best kind of dumb. The kind of thing where you see something real dumb happen and can't help but grin with happiness, like shooting a propane tank and then grappling onto it before it flies off in the air, riding it up until you parachute away. I really think Ryan did a lot to make me just enjoy video games almost no matter what.

Maybe jank, too? Like Open-World jank specifically. I think GB (and Jeff in particular) might have been the first place I heard that used in such a way. I also use 'Huh.' a good amount as well. And while not really the same, speaking with some friends I met through GB over Teamspeak or something will usually get me compared to Brad (deep-ish, mono-tone-y voice).

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know how I've already managed to pick this up but Austin has got me to say "Yo," before exclamatory sentences. Egh.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Huh?/!"

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By atomicoldman

I am starting to pick up Dan's "to where" habit, or at least I'm starting to notice how much I say it already. Like others, "hot garbage" or "hot trash" has worked its way into my vocabulary.

Because my job involves a tremendous amount of listening to others speak, I've begun to notice (and as a consequence, get infuriated by) the phrase "you know." Jeff says "you know" a LOT and it is slowly inching me towards madness. It's the opposite of this thread in that I've tried to ease "you know" out of my vocabulary as much as possible.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually thought about this recently. I'm not from an english speaking country and I don't speak english regularly but I have noticed that my tone when describing something or having an argument about why something is good or bad has changed lately. In those situations I speak a lot more like they do on the Bombcast and, in some cases, I use expressions similar to theirs but in my native language. I've also noticed that most of the new mannerisms I got (both verbal and physical) came from Jeff, probably because he has a stronger presence but also because I feel like my personality is kinda similar to his (and also similar to Alex's).

I work from home as a freelancer in a very small and somewhat remote town, so in days with a heavy load of work where I don't leave home or don't go to the city, I don't hear or see much people besides the Giant Bomb crew, I think that also helps in the influence they have on me. I've read somewhere that our own personalities are a mix of the people we're in contact with or something like that, that's probably what's happening in these situations.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Probably a lot more than I realize. At this point I'm saying "sWord" pretty unironically, respond to things with "oh, word" and describe a lot of questionably-endearing things I'm into as "suuuuper duuuumb." In video game contexts, I'm pretty inclined to throw out phrases like "smoke that fool," which I'm entirely certain I picked up from Jeff. Shockingly though, I seem to be among the few here who hasn't added HOT GARBAGE to their rotation, even though I really enjoy that term.

I end a lot things with "...you guys!" too, but I'm pretty sure I was doing that long before Giant Bomb.

Cloudleet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

"Do a thing".

I refer to things as "PIMP" much more often now.

"Hot garbage"

Freakily enough, I've started murmuring "Do you wanna ride the rollercoaster" way to often...

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By The_Nubster

Like others have said, "garbage" and variations on it sneak into my phrases a lot. And calling things "stupid" or "dumb" but in a good way, as well. Dan saying "Do a [noun]/[verb]-y thingy/thing" has also rubbed off on me in a big way, but that's probably because I used that very specific terminology before and hearing him use it so much has just brought it up. Do a drivy thingy, do a worky thingy, go to a fast food thingy, etc.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To the point where I wonder if it could be considered a dialect of English

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda love the term "janky" which I heard first from the guys.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I say "garbage" and "hot garbage" a lot because of them. Back in 2009 when I first joined GB I started saying "that's bananas" a lot back when they were saying that at the time.

m2thek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(Hot) Garbage

Suuuuper

Hey hi

(Very unenthusiastically) Great

Dumb

It's preeeeeetty good

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TwoLines

@sdoots said:

"Hot garbage" gets used a lot.

Yup, same here.

steevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I also have found myself using "You're not wrong!" from time to time, although I last remember Jeff using that phrase during one podcast years ago. It just really stuck with me for some reason.

Colt45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ranked:

1) Hot garbage

2) Yang

3) Dog (in the Molyneux voice)

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"in this day and age"

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SeanFoster

"Man, you throw dark."

mrblobby64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mrblobby64

There's this one time in a podcast where they're talking about Longmont Potion Castle and Ryan just keeps saying "It's the best. It's the best" and every now and then I find myself talking about stuff I'm excited about in that exact way.

That and the obligatory "Hot garbage" and using the word "dumb" a lot.

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I could remember which podcast it was but Jeff was ranting about a game and called it Ba-Dumb. it cracked ryan up and I've caught myself using it to describe shit.

iambeaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I subconsciously picked up Jeff's nodding his head up and down, saying "That's how its supposed to work." when a game breaks or glitches out.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By planetfunksquad

Hella.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Janky and hot garbage, i think thats it. Both very solid.

gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't say it out loud, but I always think "That's an x ass x right there."