What is the most tedious, boring game you have played?

• 195 results
Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Mine is Dragon Age Inquisition

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Myst.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By VierasTalo

Work Time Fun is the correct answer. A game composed of you doing monotonous, menial tasks so you can eventually buy more monotonous, menial tasks. Want an example? Putting caps on pencils. Some times the pencils might be upside down so you have to flip them first. Our own Jeff Gerstmann gave this a solid 8.0 on GameSpot.

It is The beautiful game.

Avatar image for cairnsythebeard
CairnsyTheBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 22

Deadly premonition, it's also one of the most interesting games I've ever played but oh the driving! The game crashing! The lack of fast travel! OH!

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Borderlands 2.

I enjoyed no part of it and it went on forever.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World of Warcraft. And I couldn't stop for years

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dear Esther. I really liked Gone Home and especially The Stanley Parable but Dear Esther drove me crazy with its tedium.

Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vitefish

@pinner458: I think the reason I enjoyed Dear Esther as much as I did was because of its length. At what, like 45 minutes? I could tolerate the lack of concrete story or objectives and appreciate the scenery. I remember playing through that game being absolutely floored by how gorgeous and atmospheric it was, which at the very least made it worth it to me.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Probably Civilization Revolution. I recognize people can get a lot of enjoyment out of Civ games, I guess they just aren't for me.

dobedobedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dobedobedo

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes: I've been a huge Metal Gear fan but this game just did not feel like Metal Gear to me. It was like I was playing something more along the lines of SOCOM. I always took my time with MGS games and tried to play stealthy but this game made it almost impossible. Maybe I'm just becoming more terrible at newer games but as hard as I tried to play it like the old games, I always got caught and always ended up in a huge shootout. I started to wonder if the game was trying to encourage me to play guns blazing. I bought the game on X1 and got rid of it within a few days. I gave it another shot on PSPlus and pushed through it for the sake of being able to say I finished it.

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood: There was nothing that could save this game from its broken platforming and inconvenient placement of the marker when you needed to pull it up quickly. I wanna say I made it about half way before I just gave up.

Assassin's Creed 3: The entire first section of the game was like an incredibly long boring tutorial. Once I finally got into the main game, I couldn't get into the story at all and the whole thing just felt like more of the same. Nothing in the game gave me a reason to care about any of the characters or what they were doing. Also pushed through this one to the end just so I can say I finished it and could judge it.

Ninety Nine Nights: Wave after wave of mindless hacking and slashing at tons of enemies with no real purpose.

God of War 3: I guess I got all of the thrill of decapitations, blood and gore everywhere, from the first two GOW games. By the time I got to the third game, it felt too much like it was more of the same with nothing interesting added to it and the excessive gore was just dumb. I ended up finishing it just because of how short it was.

Watch Dogs: I really like doing side missions in open world games and this didn't really have anything too fun to do outside of the main storyline. The main story was OK but about halfway through it, I had pretty much gotten what I wanted out of this game. I forget what the last mission I did was but I remember thinking "man they could have just ended the game right there and it would have been fine." Instead the story dragged on and on like they were just adding filler material to make it last longer.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Ninety Nine Nights

This is the right answer, couldn't even bother finishing the demo.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too Human

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I can't choose between Borderlands 2 and FFXIII. Oddly enough, I feel like I could have powered through both if not for the fact that on top of the tedious gameplay, the writing and characters in both were shockingly uninteresting. Like...they went out of their way to make sure I wouldn't like anything.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By liquiddragon

Although it's delightful for the first hour and I absolutely want to love it...Doko Doko Universe holy fucking shit

Also FF13. Jesus, how did Square think that design was ok for a RPG. Fucking embarrassing.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So are we just listing games we don't like?

If your not going to explain your choice I don't see the point of this.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By flasaltine

Mine is DAI too.

dobedobedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dobedobedo

@bradbrains: You're right. I went back and edited my post.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Dragon Age 2, fucking terrible and reused the same boring shitty zones the whole time through. It felt like everything you did meant LITERALLY fuck all.
  • Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, Lightning, again for obvious reasons. I would say that Lightning is the worst though.
  • AC III, mostly cause the main character is just a boring unlikable twat.
  • Borderlands 1 & 2, just barren, uninteresting, empty zones with shit driving mechanics built around a loot whore game.
  • Every MMO I've ever played, from WoW to SWTOR to EVE. Rectal cancer at this point in my life seems like it would be more enjoyable.
  • Thief (the new one). Holy fuck, it is BAD.
  • Far Cry 2. I'd rather have malaria over play this again. I never even finished it. Furthest I got was to the second map zone area.
  • Just Cause 1. 2 is a masterpiece of how to be fun, 1 just... sucks.
  • The Last Remnant. So boring I can't even put it into words. It's just terrible. As is Infinite Undiscovery. Avoid both like the plague.

I've played some real shit lol

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadly premonition, it's also one of the most interesting games I've ever played but oh the driving! The game crashing! The lack of fast travel! OH!

And how about the waypoints and the mini map being useless and not talking to each other? You have both, but they don't speak to each other in any meaningful way so it is like every two miles you have to check the pause screen map to make sure you are going the right way until your memorize the town.
Buuuuut it is evened out by the great 'Talk to Zach" moments.
"Remember Remo Williams?"
HELL YES I DO.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Assassin's Creed Revelations

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You say tedious and boring together, which means it has to be both tedious, and boring. A lot of games are boring, but I think the perfect game that fits the 'tedious and boring' category would be Knack to me. The most recent Thief game is up there as well. Some have mentioned games like God of War 3, AC3, and so on, and to me, those are kind of boring, but not so much tedious overall.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a game that started feeling more like a chore the longer I played it. It has a lot of great ideas! But maaaan is it dragged down by its own ultra-generic world and single-player MMO structure.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

@aiurflux: I have played Infinite Undiscovery worst tri-ace game ever

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Dragon Age: Origins

The extensive and derivate story, the padded quests, and boring combat, made for one taxing experience.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tossup between El Shaddai, Fighting Force 2, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on Master Ninja.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jeust

@aiurflux said:

• The Last Remnant. So boring I can't even put it into words. It's just terrible. As is Infinite Undiscovery. Avoid both like the plague.

@Chocobodude3 said:

@aiurflux: I have played Infinite Undiscovery worst tri-ace game ever

I liked it. To me it was a interesting small budgeted jrpg, with some novel mechanics.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Spoonman671

I tried playing Ether One recently and I couldn't stand the pace at which you move in that game. It's infuriating to know the solution to a puzzle and have your only obstacle be the absurd amount of time it takes to travel from where the key object is to where the lock object is.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's been a few which I quickly abandoned due to them being tedious and boring, but Final Fantasy XIII is probably the worst offender.

IceNDice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Link To The Past, every time I thought the game would end, it just would never stop and that's when I realized I just wanted the game to be over and just was not having fun. Probably my least favourite Zelda to date.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kasaioni

Final Fantasy II. I don't know if people understand the true feeling of tediousness and being bored of a video game until one has had to deal with the skill-up system in that game.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a game that started feeling more like a chore the longer I played it. It has a lot of great ideas! But maaaan is it dragged down by its own ultra-generic world and single-player MMO structure.

This is up there for me. Absolutely nothing about that game grabbed me at all. By the time I was a couple hours in, I was just skipping all the dialogue, which is something I pretty much never, ever do.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#34 sweep  Moderator

I've sunk over 150 hours into Eve online and, looking back on that time, I can think of very little I've accomplished in that game other than efficient management of my skill training and flying from A to B. I went on a couple of PVP roams which were fun, but ultimately the majority of my time with Eve was spent feeling completely overwhelmed and lost, or docked in a space station waiting for someone to tell me what I should be doing.

I still have a bizarre fondness for it, though. It's very mellow, and sometimes that's what you need.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tears to Tiara II. You do a lot of reading. Eventually, a fight breaks out. Then its back to more reading.

Pushtoclose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watch dogs, I don't think I've ever been as bored with a game before. Didn't care for any part of the game at all.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Probably Civilization Revolution. I recognize people can get a lot of enjoyment out of Civ games, I guess they just aren't for me.

You should try the PC games! Civ: Rev was simplified! there's alot more going on in IV and V which might make it more engaging. Not for everyone though.

Alpha Protocol was both boring and tedious, the main challenge in that game was dealing with controls, the story went nowhere so fast it's incredible. The timed dialog choices were cool but the story was so lackluster they had very little impact on me. I fought through to try and understand what drew people to it, but I never found out what was so enjoyable about it.

jackburtonme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jackburtonme

Mine is infamous second son. I don't know if I was just in the wrong mindset or what, but I played for about 3 hours and the whole time it just felt like, "Welp, here I am playing a video game."

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@dobedobedo: it was still possible to play ground zeroes stleathly. It was just way harder, all about those guerrilla tactics :-)

For me, at least recently, it was destiny. Besides that, something like Buffy: chaos bleeds springs to mind.

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Roger_Klotz

It has to be Legend of Zelda: skyward sword for me. As a fan of the series and especially windwaker, I was looking foward to it at the time. However it was boring with little deviation from the same formula in past games. Nintendo was pushing too heavy on motion controls.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Eloquent Fist... Would have never happened if it weren't for custom firmware.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a couple of F2P MMOs; Tera had good combat, but boring quests and a lifeless, unnecessarily spread out world, Forsaken World had bad combat and nothing but fetch quests, however the group quests were fun, and DC Universe Online didn't feel at all like you were playing through a comic adventure. Marvel Heroes 2015 is a Diablo clone, but at least it is a fun comic adventure. I wish the DC game was more like the Marvel F2P

As for games I paid for, I got really bored with SMT Digital Devil Saga. I loved the Persona games, but this one lacked the Persona charm to keep it moving through the rough parts. I like Dragon Quest games, so I am okay with grindy stuff, but DDS was unable to hold my attention.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is sort of an unfair answer since I barely even know/remember anything about it, but Baroque is probably that game. Like, I've played some bad games but I can at least remember stuff about them. Baroque bored me so much I forgot about its existence the day after I played it and the only reason I know of its existence now is because it's on my game shelf and I have no idea how or when it got there.

I wouldn't call it tedious though... I literally couldn't call it that because I still don't know what the fuck it is.

Magris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny, mine would probably be Dying Light. I was bored with the world, bored with the mechanics, and bored with the story.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I like Too Human but it is tedious as hell.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Watch Dogs, can't say enough about how bored I was with this game. I felt like every moment I played it, I was just saying in my head "oh it will pick up later... this stuff just seems like tutorial stuff." I think I said that up until the very end. Sometimes, having big set pieces in a video game is more important than having the player "make their own fun". Also having decent voice actors and writing is even more important. I literally don't even remember the main characters name. That's how boring every aspect of this game was.

Borderlands 2, playing this by yourself is the equivalent of masturbating without something to help you out. The writing is cringe worthy and it's full of fucking dank memes. I really hate gathering loot in this game and the whacky gun design was dumb. I don't want a gun that I throw like a grenade every time I reload or a gun that makes retarded noises each time I shoot something. It's even more irritating when you don't have a choice to use these guns because they have higher stats.

Destiny, I felt so cheated when I bought this game. I thought the beta was interesting because I liked the aspect of going around exploring in first person in this post apocalyptic galaxy. Well when I beat the single player in less then a few days and found myself in a shallow kiddie pool instead of a bountiful ocean like we were promised... I was pretty upset. Bungie does not give a flying shit for anyone that plays this game ontop of that with all this DLC nonsense and they don't really care about the world that they have created either. It's again just a mindless loot gathering simulator like Borderlands except made worse by the engrams or whatever.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

For me, it's probably a tie between Rage and Duke Nukem Forever. Both those games send you through boring levels with boring guns over and over with little to no narrative hooks to keep you moving forward.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Giant_Gamer

For me it's Mirrors Edge, talk about a game that have been kicked out of the door during development. It sufferes from uninteresting story and story direction, immature gameplay mechanics and repetitive missions. This was enough for me to call it quits.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine is infamous second son. I don't know if I was just in the wrong mindset or what, but I played for about 3 hours and the whole time it just felt like, "Welp, here I am playing a video game."

Yikes. Its not a particularly long game, either. I enjoyed it but it definitely felt bare.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By two_socks

Resident Evil 5. I played it co-op with a buddy in one sitting over the course of a night. It started boring and only got worse. All the terrible enemy designs and boss encounters. Every boss felt the exact same. Not being able to move and shoot, having to share items, etc. Split-screen didn't help. Ridiculous story (but its Resident Evil so I guess thats a given). At the end when Chris punched the boulder we broke down laughing and had to stop for half an hour. Just a dumb, boring game.