• 67 results
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I like The HotSpot a lot, especially the old episodes. And the current podcast is pretty good as well. But the old HotSpot is quite easily my favorite podcast of all time, only because it combines all of my favorite personalities -- Rich, Bob, Carrie, Alex, Ryan, and Jeff. Rather than go ahead and listen to the episodes repetitively to get to my favorite parts I elected to snip out the parts I liked. And then a while ago it struck me that I should compile it into a podcast that others might want for the same reasons as I. So here it is:

You can visit the blog where I'm going to stick these things here (where you might elect to subscribe to the RSS feed or dump the feed into iTunes where you can forget about it until more stuff turns up), or you can go ahead and download the MP3 of the show here

It's encoded at 128kbp/s which I think is a bit much; I might do a second version later on that's mastered at 64kbp/s for those that have less space on their MP3 players. I think I'll go on and do the rest of the HotSpot as well as the early Bombcast and 1UP Yours, provided the original content providers have no problem with this. I also started to do the same for the old Adam Carolla Show (the morning driveshow), so those that enjoy the voice of God himself can look forward to that soon.

Timestamps:

The debut year of a seminal gaming podcast hosted by Rich Gallup and featuring talents Bob Colayco and Jeff Gerstmann. Rather than a diffuse discussion about the games everybody was playing, with Gallup at the helm The HotSpot spoke exclusively about the news. The personalities of the cast filled in the blanks and made this unique show special.

0:02:15 - Introduction
0:06:00 - Perfect Dark: Initial Vector
0:12:30 - Splinter Cell: Double Agent
0:19:00 - Nintendo
0:26:00 - The Halo movie
0:32:30 - Xbox 360
1:12:00 - Jack Thompson and video game violence
1:32:00 - Freeform discussion and random clips 

It's worth noting that there's some pretty eerie discussion from the video game violence era in 2005 that's bizarrely appropriate today. Also, the 360 discussion from the launch is quite interesting to listen to retrospectively. But my favorite parts from the first year of the HotSpot -- that is, 2005 -- bookends this show: Perfect Dark Initial Vector talk, and Hideo Kojima's sappy, poorly written blog.

Enjoy! I hope some of you can get just as much out of it as I do.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By zombie2011

Brings me back to high school, god i miss the sluts at my school.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PillClinton
@ZanzibarBreeze: Wow!  Thanks for doing this!  As someone who didn't discover the delightful antics that are Giant Bomb until mid 2009, this history lesson is quite appreciated.  And by the way, you have a good radio voice.  Thought I might throw that out there. 
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Vinchenzo

I JUST STARTED LISTENING AND THIS MUSIC AT THE BEGINNING WHILE YOU TALK IS REALLY RELAXING. I MAY HAVE A HALFIE BUT THIS MUSIC IS CALMING IT DOWN. 

THANK YOU.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Rhaknar

i never listened to the hotspot or know much about gamespot from the old days, but is this Carrie perhaps one...Carrie Gouskous, now at EA? because in the bombcasts she was in, she always seemed close to guys (jeff in particular) and this would explain why
raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By raidingkvatch
@ZanzibarBreeze: I haven't listened yet, but this sounds like a really great idea (despite the fact that I went back and listened to all the old Hotspots recently, having only been listening since 2008) and I've subscribed to the RSS.
FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By FesteringNeon
@zombie2011 said:
" Brings me back to high school, god i miss the sluts at my school. "
win.
dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By dragonzord
@Vinchenzo said:
" I JUST STARTED LISTENING AND THIS MUSIC AT THE BEGINNING WHILE YOU TALK IS REALLY RELAXING. I MAY HAVE A HALFIE BUT THIS MUSIC IS CALMING IT DOWN.  THANK YOU. "
It's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEeuetOsxKg 

YW
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Vinchenzo said:
" I JUST STARTED LISTENING AND THIS MUSIC AT THE BEGINNING WHILE YOU TALK IS REALLY RELAXING. I MAY HAVE A HALFIE BUT THIS MUSIC IS CALMING IT DOWN.  THANK YOU. "
There is nothing like elevator music, Sir.

@zoner said:
" @Vinchenzo said:
It's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEeuetOsxKg  YW "

Good ears. Jesus Christ, how did you pick that out?

@100_Hertz said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze: Wow!  Thanks for doing this!  As someone who didn't discover the delightful antics that are Giant Bomb until mid 2009, this history lesson is quite appreciated.  And by the way, you have a good radio voice.  Thought I might throw that out there.  "
I was hoping that this would serve that purpose too. Hopefully those that are missing a little context can get some use out of it. :) And thanks for the compliment. :)
benitobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By benitobb
@Rhaknar:
It sure is.
sterbacblu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sterbacblu

This is too hot to jaywalk.  For about eight months I had to drive every weekend a total of 12 hours and I listened to The Hotspot, and would even relisten to old episodes so I'm excited to hear this.  Btw if you ever get to a clip where Jeff describes machinima by saying something to the effect of "I'm gonna put this Linkin Park song under the shot of the warthog getting his head blown off and it's gonna be RUDE" be sure to include it.  Or, if you already did include it...awesome.  I'll be listening to this in a few minutes.

Fascism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fascism

This reminds me of when i used to torment Calbear back on the old GX forums in like '98, I havent thought of Colayco in years.

zameer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By zameer

This is awesome, I never got into the Gamespot podcasts back then so this is a nice history lesson. Cheers mate!

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@sterbacblu said:

" Btw if you ever get to a clip where Jeff describes machinima by saying something to the effect of "I'm gonna put this Linkin Park song under the shot of the warthog getting his head blown off and it's gonna be RUDE" be sure to include it.  Or, if you already did include it...awesome.  I'll be listening to this in a few minutes. "

If I recall correctly -- and I remember the phrase you speak of -- that's sometime in 2006, which we'll be getting to very soon. I actually can't wait, because the whole Dietrich/Gizmondo saga is some of my favorite HotSpot material.

Damn you Dietrich!

@zameer said:

" This is awesome, I never got into the Gamespot podcasts back then so this is a nice history lesson Cheers mate! "

Sure thing, friend. :)

By the way, when you guys finish listening, I'd like to know what some of your favorite moments were. Mine are:

• The brilliance that is Perfect Dark Initial Vector
  • Jeff dissing Crime Life: Gang Wars
  • Jeff doing the voice of the guy that sued Microsoft over 360 malfunctions
  • Jeff doing the voice of the guy that claimed he invented the Madden superstar mode
  • Carrie getting annoyed over the guys mocking Hideo Kojima's blog
TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By TomA

I love you for this. I seriously do man.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude

This shit ain't casual. It's hardcore. Traditional can suck ma ballz.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By dagas

Thanks. I still expect Rich Gallup "Still your only audio source for all the hot topics from the world of video games" every time I start listen to an episode of the Hotspot ^^

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Lautaro

How do I put this into iTunes?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I, I think I love you.

sterbacblu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sterbacblu
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @sterbacblu said:

" Btw if you ever get to a clip where Jeff describes machinima by saying something to the effect of "I'm gonna put this Linkin Park song under the shot of the warthog getting his head blown off and it's gonna be RUDE" be sure to include it.  Or, if you already did include it...awesome.  I'll be listening to this in a few minutes. "

If I recall correctly -- and I remember the phrase you speak of -- that's sometime in 2006, which we'll be getting to very soon. I actually can't wait, because the whole Dietrich/Gizmondo saga is some of my favorite HotSpot material.

Damn you Dietrich!

Very awesome, and from what I've heard so far, I'm really enjoying this, thanks for putting it together.  Oh man I totally forgot about the Gizmondo saga.  Looking forward to reliving that as well.
Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Oh god... they are still calling wii the revolution. Totally forgot about that.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zero_

This is pretty sweet, cheers for that. I can't wait for the 1UP Yours one, that was definitely my favourite podcast back in the day, Luke and Shane arguing were the highlights of my week.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By dagas

"I don't think Xbox Live Arcade will do very well" - Jeff Gerstmann 

Not a great prediction there ^^ 

Rich Gallup predicting that people will buy games just for easy points even if the game is crap. That's a good prediction ^^

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Lautaro said:

" How do I put this into iTunes? "

I don't use iTunes myself, but I imagine there's some kind of facility where you can add an RSS feed.

@TomA:@LordXavierBritish: Thank you for your confessions of love (purely platonic, I assume).

@Green_Incarnate said:
" Oh god... they are still calling wii the revolution. Totally forgot about that. "

@dagas said:
" "I don't think Xbox Live Arcade will do very well" - Jeff Gerstmann  Not a great prediction there ^^ "

Stuff like that is why I added that stuff in there -- it's cool to see what they thought and where they went wrong. And they got a good deal right, too.
shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By shadyspace

Great intro, man. Very NPR.

sterbacblu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sterbacblu
@dagas said:

" "I don't think Xbox Live Arcade will do very well" - Jeff Gerstmann  Not a great prediction there ^^  

You know back then I thought XBLA was going to fail too.  The launch lineup was horrid and a year after there were still less than 40 games for the service, most of which were just arcade ports or Popcap style casual games.  I remember when Cloning Clyde was a big deal.  Now I buy the majority of my games each year off XBLA, and last year two of my top three games of the year were on the service.  Shows you how far it's come.  Still it is hilarious to hear them talk about predictions when we know what will happen six years later.  
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By tebbit

I was going to yell "DAMN YOU DIEDRICH" at the top of my internet-lungs, but...   

Apart from the kissing part. 

I love you anyway, though.
Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lautaro

It's hilarious hearing them defend the Xbox 360 and its overheating problems knowing what we know now.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jothel
@Rhaknar said:
" i never listened to the hotspot or know much about gamespot from the old days, but is this Carrie perhaps one...Carrie Gouskous, now at EA? because in the bombcasts she was in, she always seemed close to guys (jeff in particular) and this would explain why "
yep thats the same carrie, they all used to work together at gamespot.
those old days were awesome, hot spot, on the spot, button mashing etc....good times
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@shadyspace said:
" Great intro, man. Very NPR. "
That was actually what I was going for there. :)
Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ChickenPants

Just want to extend my appreciation good sir. Didn't listen to the Hotspot back in the day and I can't stand it now but I loved this. Look forward to listening to your future best ofs.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By Evilsbane

Wow great work dude, really digging this.

Edit: Also Great intro dude, if that was you great job very professional.

Avatar image for christiancastillo
ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is awesome since I had never listened to any hotspot episodes since I wasn't into podcasts back then but now I am and having these somewhere where I can easily access them is great.  thanks! 

Update: I just finished listening to the podcast and I must say you did an amazing job.  I couldn't stop laughing (smiling) throughout, the editing between skits made the podcast run very smoothly.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dany

oh jack thompson, what the hell what up with him?

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidSwords

Creepy

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Evilsbane said:
" Edit: Also Great intro dude, if that was you great job very professional. "
Yep, that's me.

Thanks for all the compliments, guys.

@Dany said:
" oh jack thompson, what the hell what up with him? "

I believe he was disbarred a few years ago, which means that he can no longer practice law. I hear he's now a tester for Treyarch.
RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By RagingLion

That stuff on Spielberg's link up with EA is actually pretty interesting now given the stuff that was uncovered in the last few months about project LMNO.  Some of the guy's prediction's about what kind of game it were be were pretty spot on from what we know about what that was intentioned to be, i.e. yes there was basically going to be an alien in it and yes there was a whole government conspiracy involved in it all.

It's kind of crazy how you need at least 5 years to appreciate that kind of stuff but I guess that's just the nature given the long development time of games.

Nice compilation by the well.  I only listened to The Hotspot a bit for maybe a few months before everyone followed Jeff in leaving and it's a pretty good thing to turn if I have surplus podcast listening time.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kingzetta

thank you  
and remember the other  Adam Carolla Show I think it was called "too late"

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By X19

Great work. 

I listened to them all during my temp job last summer. I made it till Tom Mc Shea started coming on every week and finally gave up listening to it.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@kingzetta said:

" thank you   and remember the other  Adam Carolla Show I think it was called "too late" "

You mean Too Late with Adam Carolla? It was okay. I don't think it really suit him that well, and from what Adam said he was basically fighting Comedy Central every night for what he could and couldn't do. I guess all anybody remembers of that show is the time when Steve-O turned up drunk.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sixghost
@RagingLion said:
" That stuff on Spielberg's link up with EA is actually pretty interesting now given the stuff that was uncovered in the last few months about project LMNO.  Some of the guy's prediction's about what kind of game it were be were pretty spot on from what we know about what that was intentioned to be, i.e. yes there was basically going to be an alien in it and yes there was a whole government conspiracy involved in it all.  It's kind of crazy how you need at least 5 years to appreciate that kind of stuff but I guess that's just the nature given the long development time of games.  Nice compilation by the well.  I only listened to The Hotspot a bit for maybe a few months before everyone followed Jeff in leaving and it's a pretty good thing to turn if I have surplus podcast listening time. "
There were some pretty wrong predictions on there as well, like Jeff saying "I don't think this XBLA thing is going to do very well".  This stuff was awesome though, is there anyway to listen to old episodes?
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kingzetta
@ZanzibarBreeze: No what I remember is when  he would make fun of movies like Conair.
I thought that was the funniest thing ever.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By Gav47
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LiquidSwords

Wow! It was almost 3 hours long and I enjoyed every minute of it, ending was great! Thanks!

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@LiquidSwords said:
" Wow! It was almost 3 hours long and I enjoyed every minute of it, ending was great! Thanks! "

MIA I AM WAITING IN LINE. I WONDER IF. I WONDER IF MY FATHER IS IN THERE.

:)
ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ViciousReiven

DLing now, I love the 'best of' stuff because I don't have the time to go back and listen to all those old podcasts.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ViciousReiven

Also might I suggest a different host? 
The speed from the link is atrocious.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By Trilogy

I listened to the whole thing while I played pacman DX last night and I really enjoyed it. I was a bit creeped out when they were talking about HD as a new thing. Also, the xbox 360 discussions were very interesting. It's funny to hear Jeff's burgeoning addiction to Gamerscore as well. Makes me want to go dig up some old episodes.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#50  Edited By Vinchenzo

I know I already posted here but I wanted to bump it and say something. I listened to it twice while doing my Zombie Genocider achievement in Dead Rising. It peaked my interest to hear some more classic Hotspot stuff, because I never really listened to it, and so I did some YouTube searches. In somebody's video they used the newer episodes with Tom Mc Shea and all of those people I hate. What I'm trying to say is I hope you don't go into the present, and stop when all of the key problem have gone. Looks like you should only be going into 2007 though so it looks like it'll be fine.