Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By vinny
Netflix is not a cure for space herpes
Like many of you, I still have a stack of games that I would like to play. Far Cry 2, Saints Row 2, Fallout 3, Prince of Persia, and even Persona 4 are sitting idle while my Xbox 360 spends time serving up movies and tv shows via Netflix. I've already burned through a season of Heroes, two and a half seasons of The Office, Ice Pirates, The Day the Earth Stood Still and Transmorphers. Granted, most of the time, I'm doing something else while I'm streaming a movie, but it doesn't change the fact that my 360 has been pushing as much video as games the last few days.

Sadly, the ability to stream your Netflix movies through your game console appears to be an Xbox 360 exclusive. Sony's John Kohler recently said the following:
We've concentrated most of our efforts on our download service, both rentals and downloads of movies and TV shows. Our efforts will continue to be there, because our customers want to own the content...
Yeah, it gets a little confusing in there with the whole "rentals and downloads of movies" and "our customers want to own the content," but I guess Sony feels like their infrastructure for delivering video is solid enough to compete without the aid of Netflix. Personally, I think it's kind of a bummer.  Considering how much time I've spent with Netflix on my 360, I have come to the conclusion that it is faaaaaantastic. On a positive note, maybe this means I will spend more time playing games on my PS3 than getting up to speed on this whole Battlestar Galactica thing...

Thanks to Gizmodo for the news.
vinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By vinny
Like many of you, I still have a stack of games that I would like to play. Far Cry 2, Saints Row 2, Fallout 3, Prince of Persia, and even Persona 4 are sitting idle while my Xbox 360 spends time serving up movies and tv shows via Netflix. I've already burned through a season of Heroes, two and a half seasons of The Office, Ice Pirates, The Day the Earth Stood Still and Transmorphers. Granted, most of the time, I'm doing something else while I'm streaming a movie, but it doesn't change the fact that my 360 has been pushing as much video as games the last few days.

Sadly, the ability to stream your Netflix movies through your game console appears to be an Xbox 360 exclusive. Sony's John Kohler recently said the following:
We've concentrated most of our efforts on our download service, both rentals and downloads of movies and TV shows. Our efforts will continue to be there, because our customers want to own the content...
Yeah, it gets a little confusing in there with the whole "rentals and downloads of movies" and "our customers want to own the content," but I guess Sony feels like their infrastructure for delivering video is solid enough to compete without the aid of Netflix. Personally, I think it's kind of a bummer.  Considering how much time I've spent with Netflix on my 360, I have come to the conclusion that it is faaaaaantastic. On a positive note, maybe this means I will spend more time playing games on my PS3 than getting up to speed on this whole Battlestar Galactica thing...

Thanks to Gizmodo for the news.
DBZ_Fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DBZ_Fanatic

good. i live in canada and even if the ps3 had netflix i wouldn't be able to use it

TaintedSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By TaintedSun

Better get up to speed quick sir, Battlestar Galactica is starting soon enough!

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pause422

Excellent, I couldn't care a less if it ever got Netflix.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Vinny, don't forget about Burn Notice. That's an awesome show.

Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Dan

To the comments above mine: It's not a good thing that the PS3 will never get Netflix. It might not effect you, but championing this as some sort of triumph makes you look pretty fucking stupid.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fr0br0

Aw dammit :( I loathe 360 owners for Netflix. Damn you M$ for most likely paying off Netflix to skimp out on PS3 (again)

dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dtran1212

honestly, i don't give a fuck about Netflix on a ps3

Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By Spencer

No game can compete with Battlestar Galactica.

Valke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Valke

Vinny, I have to ask...did you actually manage to get all the way through Transmorphers in a single sitting? I'm usually a big fan of bad sci-fi, but that movie was just TERRIBLE.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By BlackWaterCO

One more reason to NOT buy a piece of shit 3

pikadeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pikadeth

I like how Sony NOT doing something is news. If they're content  to let give their customers less services then so be it. They'll reap what they sow.

PsYuSoFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PsYuSoFly

Netflix would of been awesome on the PS3.

dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dtran1212
hwarang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hwarang

There is a way to watch Netflix on the PS3 - it's called PlayOn. It's an add-on that you install on your PC, which uses PS3's DLNA capability to stream Netflix movies from your account. It's not the best ever quality but it's good enough and it also allows to stream your YouTube videos and even Hulu. 

I liked it while I had the free trial. Not sure if it's worth the 30 bucks. 

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Phished0ne

i dont really care anyway, most of the stuff i watch i will either rent off my ps3, or if its a tv show watch online (hulu, cbs.com, etc)

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By PufferFiz
dtran1212 said:
"honestly, i don't give a fuck about Netflix on a ps3"
this

and besides i don't want to go and get another movie service.
MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By MrRedwine

If Sony let you watch netflix over the PS3, who would buy any Blu Ray Discs?

I haven't bought in to netflix on my 360 yet simply due to a lack of funds and a crappy internet connection to boot, but it seems like the best possible solution for watching movies in my home without having stacks of rarely watched media.  Yay for digital!

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shorap

Ha, when I signed up for Netflix 2 weeks ago, Ice Pirates was one of the first movies I watched!  

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TwoOneFive

I have a PS3, i like the video service they already provide. 

But I also have a netflix account and even though you can download the videos in hd, and sometimes stream others, i'd much rather get my blu-rays in the mail. the picture and sound is unmatched and it comes with all the special features, you don't get jack squat by streaming net flix except for a less than stellar version of the film. 

anyways, how was watching all the lost shows?! i did that last year. and i want to do the same with Battlestar Galactica, anytime i see it on TV, it looks like its definitely above average and i always wish i knew what the heck was goin on!
godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By godzilla_sushi

I love it! I wish everyone could have it....I guess you could with the right hardware. It's awesome. I would buy a standalone anything just so I could use it honestly. It just so happened that I use the 360. If I didn't, I'd find a way to get it.

StarwindX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By StarwindX9

Netflix is too expensive for me. When they first announced Netflix for the 360, I thought it came with any gold membership and I thought, "finally something worth the monthly fee" and alas it would only require more money. Rentals are nice for impulse viewing, but I am still not a huge fan of video content on a game system. I have my computer for all my video needs. My consoles are for games.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By StaticFalconar

If only Sony offered Netflix pricing structure.

Jason_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jason_Miami

Well the Netflix player uses Windows Media codecs to work anyway, I'm pretty sure, so it seemed unlikely that Netflix would be on PS3, whether they wanted to or not.  Sucks because steaming movies is awesome; paying $50 to MS and $96 to Netflix a year is not.

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ocdog45

who cares about nexflix. IMO streaming does work that well anyway. i would rather keep what i pay for too. im a blockbuster guy anyway.

RodneythePom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RodneythePom

Dumb dumb dumb. I was hoping they'd bring a Netflix like service to the PS3 and considering that digital downloads are the future, a rental service like this would be great. I love Netflix and so what if I don't own it, I can just get online, put it on my queue and gasp, watch it as many times as I want when I want! Couple that with HD movie downloads in the future and you have a medium killer.

Avatar image for deactivated-590e87b419de4
deactivated-590e87b419de4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony have a video service via the PSN Store.. give it some time.. it has the potential to be better then Netflix online services imo.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tekmojo

Bittorrents, streaming, PSN video downloads, internet browser, blu-ray, external hard-drives. I'm sorry if that's not enough for the typical consumer to play their favorite movies then you fooled me.

Hasselhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hasselhoff

Another reason why Sony is falling behind.

TomServo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By TomServo

Well microsoft's got some money to spend and netflix likes money so what do you expect?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Milkman

Even if Sony wanted Netflix on the PS3, I couldn't see it happening after what a huge deal Netflix signed with Microsoft.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By AndrewGaspar
hwarang said:
"There is a way to watch Netflix on the PS3 - it's called PlayOn. It's an add-on that you install on your PC, which uses PS3's DLNA capability to stream Netflix movies from your account. It's not the best ever quality but it's good enough and it also allows to stream your YouTube videos and even Hulu. 

"
THIS!

Netflix has actually been on PS3 just as long as it has been on 360. ;-)
count_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By count_zero

I was gonna mention PlayOn Media Server, but hwarang beat me to it. Ahh well. As it is, I've got a Media Center PC set up anyway, so I can use that to watch video from NetFlix as well, so either way, there's no skin off my nose.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36  Edited By BawlZINmotion

Living in Canada I have no experience with Netflix, but correct me if I'm wrong, couldn't one just use the PS3's web browser to stream it? If so why would Sony (or any of you) give two shits about setting up some kind of deal to have a fancy UI with a name on it?

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Junpei

I don't really care about the movies either way. I still prefer to have a disc in my hand compared to digital ownership of them. Rentals maybe, but even then, only 24 hours is not worth the price for either system in my opinion.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By irishjohn

Same old Sony.  They completely blew it with the advent of iPods and online music purchases, and here they go again.  We'd rather do it our way, which is... um... non-existent.

I guess Sony is hoping we'll use a Sony-approved service to rent movies for 2 dollars each and watch them at (Playstation) Home.
Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Kyle

sure, Sony SAYS they're not interested. I'm sure the what's closer to the truth is Sony's pulling their hair out and banging their heads against a wall because Netflix has some kind of exclusive deal with Microsoft.

jamBOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jamBOT
RodneythePom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RodneythePom
bshirk said:
"I did the two-week Netflix trial and streamed videos to my 360, but the quality was terrible.  First of all, the videos weren't wide screen.  Second, they look worse than regular DVDs.  Before it came out, I was under the impression that you could stream HD movies to the 360.  I'm not gonna pay for the service to see grainy, crappy old videos.  They barely even have any good movies available for download."
It's actually determined by your quality of connection. I've had really good looking ones while a friend on a slower connection had eh ones.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TwoOneFive
RodneythePom said:
"Dumb dumb dumb. I was hoping they'd bring a Netflix like service to the PS3 and considering that digital downloads are the future, a rental service like this would be great. I love Netflix and so what if I don't own it, I can just get online, put it on my queue and gasp, watch it as many times as I want when I want! Couple that with HD movie downloads in the future and you have a medium killer."
do you have a ps3, it already has a video rental service and its got a great library of movies. 
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By artofwar420

Sony... come on!

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By smallville123

I know blockbusters in talks with streaming movies and having the ps3 be its catalyst

nickystixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By nickystixx

wow that is a bummer. too bad.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46  Edited By yellownumber5

The Netflix thing is the first feature that I feel jealous of a 360 being only owning a ps3.  sony's video service is good but is also as costly as a Blockbuster account, but a monthly account as Netflix would destroy what Sony is getting cash off of their service.

BranDong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By BranDong

Netflix on the 360 is the fucking shit.. end of story

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48  Edited By yellownumber5
BranDong said:
"Netflix on the 360 is the fucking shit.. end of story"
Yes, but hopefully not end of story.  This better be the beginning of the story.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By KamasamaK
hwarang said:
"There is a way to watch Netflix on the PS3 - it's called PlayOn. It's an add-on that you install on your PC, which uses PS3's DLNA capability to stream Netflix movies from your account. It's not the best ever quality but it's good enough and it also allows to stream your YouTube videos and even Hulu. 

"
Yup. I've used this and it works well.