Is the Dualshock 2 the Best Controller Ever Made?

• 113 results
BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BubbleBobble

It's very sturdy and well built. Not too light, not too heavy. The buttons are responsive and it has rumble function built in. The D-pad works nicely & the rubber analog sticks are comfortable, as are the handle grippings. What do you think?
Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Pezen

It got an edge on the bottom of the analog sticks part of the controller that never was that comfortable. Personally, I think the 360 has the most comfortable controller thusfar.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

No, the Xbox 360 one is.

The dualshock has awkward analogue placements, still using the d-pad as the primary method of control and they're made out of a nasty material that's hard to grip. It has the worst triggers of any system at the moment, they're absolutely horrible for racing games. And the overall shape doesn't fit your hand that well, and also seems to constantly slide off surfaces because of how the weight is distributed.

I hate the dualshock, I would rather Sony released that boomarang pad with the PS3.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By JoeyRavn

I find the 360 gamepad much more confortable. I can barely hold the Dualshock without getting my hands cramped due to the position of the analogue sticks. The D-Pad is nicer than the 360's, but since I don't use it much, it's just a minor advantage to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree. I think the 360 controller is pretty awful but at least it's an improvement from the original Xbox's controller.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Crash_Happy

The 360 controller is a barely rejigged Dualshock. Although it's certainly possible to prefer the 360 controller.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UnrealDP

Im one of "those guys" who loves the original xbox controller even though it had the mass of ten thousand suns....
MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MideonNViscera

360 controller is my favorite one ever. Playstation ones have always been awkward.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By imsh_pl

Why not Dualshock 3? It's just DS2 but wireless and with sixaxis.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Sturdy? Are you kidding? The shoulder buttons aren't, at least. Seriously, back in my PS2 days, I literally went through about 4 PS2 controllers that all had broken shoulder buttons. The d-pad is in an awkward position. I remember I had a very difficult time using the d-pad back when I first got the console, because the left analog stick was totally in the way of my thumb, so I had to learn to adapt to that and had to deal with hand cramps until I got the hang of it. It's shape is kind of weird, also. The analog placement isn't as ideal for shooters. Also, dude, the grip wore off on one of my analogs, and I don't know what the heck was going on there, but it's like the place where you put the thumb on the analog had become like... all oily. It wouldn't wash off either, it was like literally something from the rubber. Totally weird and gross. I guess they were sturdy in the sense that you could probably drop it a few times and not expect it to break, but when I have shoulder buttons breaking in my own hands from just casually playing games, it's a problem. With that said, the controller has some good things about it too, but I'm not going to go over them here. Instead, I'm just gonna to say that I think all of last gen's controllers had some major faults. Gamecube and Xbox certainly did too. 

If we're gonna name the best ever, I think the 360 controller ranks up there. If only they had fixed the d-pad before releasing it. I know they've changed it since, but I'm not crazy enough to buy the new one for $60. Honestly, I've always been incredibly fond of the SNES controller.

sharkeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sharkeh

No.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MisterChief

@imsh_pl said:

The DS3 has the worst triggers on anything, ever.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MideonNViscera
@TheGreatGuero said:
Honestly, I've always been incredibly fond of the SNES controller.

SNES is so classic. You can still see its influence today.
theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By theoldhouse

Im a big fan of the ps3 but the 360 controller is better in every way minus the horrible d-pad (seriously would never buy a fighting game for 360)

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I can't really decide between the 360 gamepad and the DS3 to be honest. I probably spend an equal time using both (I use the 360 controller on my PC for racing and action games) and I find both of them equally comfortable, light and sturdy in my hands.

The only distinction I could really draw between them is that the 360 d-pad is atrocious compared to the DS3 d-pad but it has more comfortable triggers to make up for that.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By MEATBALL

I would say the 360 controller is my favourite, rubbish D-pad and all (although the transforming d-pad is at least a slight improvement). Functionally the Dual Shock 2 - and to a lesser extent the DS3, spoiled by its horrible triggers - has some great buttons (though I went through a few back in the day thanks to the R2 buttons regularly crapping out), but it's just not as comfortable to hold as it could be. I'd also prefer the d-pad and left control stick were switched, but it's not a big deal. Basically, give me a 360 controller with Dual Shock face buttons and you'd have a goddamn amazing controller.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gunslingerNZ

@MEATBALL: Ok yeah that's another thing I'd like to change about the 360 controller. The ABXY buttons should be flat rather than curved gem type things and should have a slightly shorter throw.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Slaker117

It feels way too small in my hands and my thumbs hit when working the dual analogs often enough for it to be annoying. I have to side with the people saying the 360 pad is better.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@WinterSnowblind said:

No, the Xbox 360 one is.

The dualshock has awkward analogue placements, still using the d-pad as the primary method of control and they're made out of a nasty material that's hard to grip. It has the worst triggers of any system at the moment, they're absolutely horrible for racing games. And the overall shape doesn't fit your hand that well, and also seems to constantly slide off surfaces because of how the weight is distributed.

I hate the dualshock, I would rather Sony released that boomarang pad with the PS3.

Yep yep yep and yep

rav84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rav84

I don't know about the DS2 being sturdy and all, at least not compared to the 360's. That controller is built about as sturdy as one can be. I don't play fighting games, so for me the dpad is a non issue.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jack268
@imsh_pl said:
and with crappy triggers and more loose analogs
boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By boboblaw

I prefer the 360 for this gen, it's much more comfortable and easier to use.

Also I never had a problem with the PS3 controller till lately where my fingers get caught in those shitty shoulder buttons and fuck does it hurt.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#23  Edited By Danteveli

DS2 is greatest analog controller.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Xbox 360 controller, diagonal analogue sticks with thumb grooves, triggers and comfortable palm grips are the reasons why I love it. My only gripe is the D-pad but I get use to it. One of the DS2 controller I had something wrong with the left analogue stick where it caused the character to slight veer off and the same happened to the original Xbox controller so I don't think they're built completely sturdy.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

NIntendo Gamecube / end thread
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Hizang

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Willy105

Despite it's unmatched functionality, the Dual Shock is a very poor controller. Very uncomfortable, awkward, and backwards. 

It was understandable back in the 90's, since Sony needed to add analog sticks to their controller without making it incompatible with every PS1 game released at that time, but three generations later it's just inexcusable to have an analog stick under the D-Pad, having convex analog sticks and triggers, and having handles that stab your hand everytime you have to hold it.

@xaLieNxGrEyx: @Hizang: It's a shame that despite all the hate those controllers got from being different from the Dual Shock, they are actually a lot better designed, and certainly much more comfortable to use.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust

Not in my opinion.  The thing is flimsy, I don't like the analogue stick placement, the L2 and R2 buttons are too squishy, the grips don't contour to my hands and it's not wireless.  The DualShock 3 is slightly better since it's wireless and has a little more weight to it.  The 360 is the best one from the console makers but it's D-Pad is pretty bad. 

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By MEATBALL

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

NIntendo Gamecube / end thread

The Gamecube controller really isn't very good, it only worked because Nintendo create hardware based on functionality they might want for some of their games. I really liked the Wavebird in its heyday, but going back to it now, the thing is a goddamn monstrosity with ridiculous button placement, a d-pad that is far too small and things like the c-"stick" and z button are horrendous. The d-pad is also far too small.

Nintendo made it work in the games they had made specifically with its quirks in mind, but outside of that environment it's just not a good controller at all.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By laserbolts

Not even close.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Brendan

I personally prefer the feel of the Xbox 360 pad. It fits like a glove with buttons for my hands.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By shinigami420

NO the 360 controller is the best ever the ps3/ps2 controller is mediocre at best

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Sooty

No it's not, the original Xbox came along and blew it away for comfort and FPS games with far superior hand fitting, analog sticks and placement. The 360 pad is the best, its only shortcoming is that damn dpad.

Halo was the first FPS on a console that controlled really, really well. Goldeneye did ok but Halo trounced it. The analog sticks of the PS3 still have a pretty bad deadzone.

(I don't really even like Halo, but credit where its due)

Edit: the Dualshock 2 is better than the DS3 though, my PS2 pad feels way more sturdy than my DS3 and it doesn't have them horrible 'triggers'

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By herocide
No. 
No. 
Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vexxan

@Rufi91 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

No, the Xbox 360 one is.

Yep yep yep and yep

Pretty much this.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I think the Xbox 360 control is just perfection aside from the D-Pad. The Dual Shock controllers always felt weird, especially the DS 3, the analog sticks on that thing are way too loose.

I do love the gamecube controller though, I found it to be the most comfortable controller I have ever used.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#37  Edited By Icemael

Hell no. Whenever I use a Sony controller I feel like it was designed by a midget with deformed hands.

The 360 gamepad is the best. It fits into my hands like it was hand-made just for me. The face buttons, the shoulder buttons and the triggers feel amazing. The analogue sticks are positioned perfectly, and have concave surfaces for grip and comfort. The only thing that isn't great is the D-pad, which you pretty much only use for things like weapon switching.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the Dualshock controllers are some of the worst controllers ever made.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bybeach

I don't like the lack of triggers. Othwise it is cirtaintly good enough. I intuitively work the analogue sticks in either config.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Loose

I'm really fond of the Dual Shock, but I can see why people prefer the 360 controller. Ultimately I think the Dual Shock was a bigger step forward for controllers, but the 360 controller is an incredible refinement of the dual-analog stick controller (even if the D-Pad is garbage).

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By FesteringNeon

I loved the original xbox's contour and design the best.. so I can't imagine me not loving the x360 controllers. (honestly haven't played more than 30 mins on a 360) period.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By Rhaknar

the 360 controler is the best controler ever imo, i'll be sad when / if its replaced

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By christ0phe

yes...also, stop making these threads

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Anund

I prefer the 360 controller except for the placement of the left stick. Move that to where it is on the Dualshock and I'd be much happier. Having to hold my thumb up in such an awkward position for any length of time is painful. The 360 is better mainly because I like the weight and size of it, it feels good in my hands, but I have no real issue with the DS either, except for the triggers.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Akrid

DS2? Have you used one of those things recently? They're kind of awful all-round in comparison to the DS3. 

But yeah, 360 controller is the best. Add some pressure sensitive face buttons and a decent d-pad and it'd be pretty much be the best thing ever.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Otacon

besides the awful d pad, the 360 definitely is the sturdiest and most comfortable controller.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MikkaQ

No, definitely not. It's made for midget japanese schoolchildren, and has been way too tiny for my hands since about the PS2's launch. Also having the two sticks on the bottom is horrendous, and an archaic holdover from the first stick-less PS1 controller design.

The 360 controllers is the right size just about, feels comfortable, has the right thumbstick where the thumb would rest naturally, plus the triggers are worlds better.

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By willylo
@MideonNViscera said:
@TheGreatGuero said:
Honestly, I've always been incredibly fond of the SNES controller.
 SNES is so classic. You can still see its influence today.
That! Though with modern controllers I've never really experienced a prefered controller between Xbox or Playstation, but back in the day the SNES controller ruled all.
MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MideonNViscera

I like my 360 controllers so much that I will be shocked and pissed if they change it next gen. Fortunately they have virtually no reason to do so unless they decide they need a fucking screen in it too or something. 

Sony on the other hand, well, I had to laugh when they used the same controller for the third time. It was a great invention in its time, but that time was like 1997 or something.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I hate it.
The sticks feel weird and buttons are flat.

Gamecube controller is my fav, X360 close second.