• 72 results
Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

So what do you guys think? There hasnt been one since Heavy Rain. I'm not really complaining, per-say, since we get a slew of other video content, like QL, ER, and the occasional special event (xboxalypse). Even though their video reviews were great, you realize that they were just saying what was already written down. So I guess maybe they felt there was no point for it? What do you duders think?

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Castiel

I don't complain, cause I really enjoy they're ER of Deadly Premonition.

HeyLookIJust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By HeyLookIJust

Heavy Rain doesn't seem like too long ago really relative to how often they normally do video reviews.  They never really did super tons anyway.  I do enjoy them though and actually would not mind having some more.

rathantoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By rathantoras

I don't think theres any point, quicklooks give me all the info i need.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By I_smell

I don't read written reviews at all, so I wish they'd just allways do videos.
Also they SO should've called it "Xbocalypse".

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nail1080

meh I don't care much for video reviews on this site. The first ones they made were the best but I think they got boring and less creative as time went on. Anyway with the extensive talk on the bombcast and the well made written reviews I really don't miss them and I would only click on a video review of a really hyped game like MGS4 or GTA4 at this stage, but still I'd prob. end up bored.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ChickenPants

They usually did them pretty sporadically anyways..

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Cwaff

There will be more video reviews in due time I'm sure. 
Patience is a virtue.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

When they do them they're professionaly done, but the thing is they're almost redundant. Its almost always games they were interested in enough to do QLs for (I honestly can't remember the last game with a VR that didn't get an QL beforehand) and QLs require very little comparative editing and preparation and honestly tell you more about the game. And they tend to come out days or even over a week after the proper review. Between the QL and the print review (and possibly Bombcast commentary) you've got all you need to make a decision.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Trilogy

The video reviews are just the guys reading directly from their written review so there's no point really. That doesn't mean I'm against video reviews. I remember loving Jeff's video review of the orange box back when the guys worked at gamespot. He didn't seem to be reading from a script or anything weird like that. It just felt natural.

mdslac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By mdslac

I think video reviews are a waste of resources. Quick looks save human resources because they need very little production and editing time. I also think that when coupled with written reviews, quick looks tend to give more information then if Giantbomb was just to rehash its written statements.

Malchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Malchom

It probably has something to do with the ERs and that there aren't many good games coming out right now. They seem to make video reviews for really good and important games.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Rhaknar

a video review of Splinter Cell is coming so no they are not done... and must we have a topic about video reviews every day now >_>

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By spaceturtle
@I_smell said:

" I don't read written reviews at all, so I wish they'd just allways do videos. Also they SO should've called it "Xbocalypse". "

No no no... Xboxalypse has a much better ring to it!

I don't think the video reviews go that in depth of the game, while the written review does. So I really don't need the video reviews. If I want to see some footage of the game, QL's are much better for that anyways.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By armaan8014
@I_smell said:
" I don't read written reviews at all, so I wish they'd just allways do videos. Also they SO should've called it "Xbocalypse". "
I thought so too, sounds better. But then it would have been the apocalypse of Xboc, not Xbox
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo

They're pretty redundant.  Given the choice, I'd rather see more group discussion about games / issues - 'Spoilercasts' etc.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#17  Edited By citizenkane

What games that have come out recently have deserved video reviews?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho
@CitizenKane said:
" What games that have come out recently have deserved video reviews? "
The point of a video review isn't to preach to the choir. The fuck does "deserve" mean? If a game is already a proven quantity, a video review is even more redundant.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Ineedaname

They've done quick looks of half alot of games they've review, they can only dedicate so much to one game without it taking up time that could be spent elsewhere.

Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Zaph

Try to remember that a video review requires the reviewer to record gameplay, write a script (they don't just read the review) and film it. Then a video editor spends at least a day cutting the whole thing.

When you're four guys working in a basement, that is a lot of resources to commit to one video review. I'm not saying they shouldn't do them, but that they shouldn't be prioritised.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#21  Edited By citizenkane
@ryanwho said:
" @CitizenKane said:
The point of a video review isn't to preach to the choir. The fuck does "deserve" mean? If a game is already a proven quantity, a video review is even more redundant. "
Video reviews take a lot of time to produce.  They aren't going to waste time on making them for games nobody cares about.  Outside of the recently release Splinter Cell: Conviction, there haven't been any games in a while that are worth spending time on a video review.
SquadBroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SquadBroken

The video content is the best thing on the site and, along with the bombcast, is what keeps me coming back.  The guys are such natural and charismatic performers and speakers that being in front of the camera is the best place for them.  You really get a feel for their personality and  camaraderie that you can't get from text content.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By damswedon

jeff tweeted that he had written his script for the Splinter Cell video review a couple of days back.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ

There's been nothing out worth a video review, it's a pretty slow patch at the moment.  

Also, they never did a lot of them, there's been longer hiatuses, and they're a lot of work for a team that small to make, so I can see why they wouldn't.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#25  Edited By LordAndrew

Video reviews take time. They can't do them regularly, especially with all the other stuff they do.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e
deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@I_smell said:
" I don't read written reviews at all, so I wish they'd just allways do videos.
This is why video reviews are kind of necessary. Not everyone is willing to take the time to read a review.
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By I_smell
@armaan8014 said:
" @I_smell said:
I thought so too, sounds better. But then it would have been the apocalypse of Xboc, not Xbox "
Yeah but I don't think anyone on this site would get confused like HUH WHAT'S AN XBOC??
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CptBedlam

I don't really need them.

However; I'd like to see more quicklooks.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By armaan8014
@I_smell said:
" @armaan8014 said:
" @I_smell said:
I thought so too, sounds better. But then it would have been the apocalypse of Xboc, not Xbox "
Yeah but I don't think anyone on this site would get confused like HUH WHAT'S AN XBOC?? "
Your avatar matches your feelings PERFECTLY!
count_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By count_zero

I like the video reviews, but I don't think every review needs them. I'd say that they only need the video reviews for games that are either really major releases (like Splinter Cell or Heavy Rain or Final Fantasy XIII), or are horrifically god-awful and the the GB Crew feels that they really need to get across that we shouldn't be playing that game.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Brake
@brooksee said:
" @I_smell said:
This is why video reviews are kind of necessary. Not everyone is willing to take the time to read a review. "
You guys make it sound like such an investment.
Avatar image for deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e
deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ChineseTea said:
" @brooksee said:
" @I_smell said:
This is why video reviews are kind of necessary. Not everyone is willing to take the time to read a review. "
You guys make it sound like such an investment. "
It really isn't a huge investment and I'll take a written review over a video any day. But, it seems like the majority of people, when given the choice, would opt for a video that requires less time and breaks down the most important points of a more in-depth written review.
themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By themartyr

I think it's a case that we're in a bit of a release lull at the moment. They'll be back before you know it. In the meantime, enjoy your Endurance Run.

grayhulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By grayhulk
@arab_prince: NEVER!!! The video reviews will never die. Just take Mel Gibson's word on the matter: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im3S8PRWjeg
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I actually prefer quick looks over reviews.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iam3green

i think they only do video reviews when the game is going to be great. in ur say heavy rain got some hype. what was the last game that had hype? they should do splinter cell conviction as it has some hype to it.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PillClinton
@arab_prince: 

I guess I'm okay with them stopping video reviews, but I think they at least owe us all a solid explanation.  I don't like how they seem to be just ignoring the fact that they haven't had a video review in ages.
eljay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By eljay

Echoing the choir, quick looks are far superior to reviews, and I have to assume they can pump out more of those than they can traditional video reviews.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Akeldama

I really enjoyed the video supplement portion of the reviews. I would like to see them continue. 

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

No.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By Coombs

I don't care about ER or video reviews.
I would like to see alot more QL though

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Djeffers03

I wish they did more video reviews, I never read written ones.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I just want one thing.... 

Persona 3 Endurance Run. 

But that's about as likely as Jessica Alba paying me for sex.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HandsomeDead

None of the video reviews have been worthwhile. They just repeat what's in the written review and it's even worse when we've seen a quick look.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think there's much of a point to them, you can get the information you need in their written reviews, and they do quick looks of a bunch of games which is a lot of times more helpful than a video review in letting you know whether or not you may be into the game.

Demonstride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Demonstride
@CitizenKane said:

This. I think they only go for the ones the staff find worthy. Plus, are people really crying out for video reviews for every game? If you find the need to watch them then go to some other game sites that I will not mention.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why's a game have to be "worthy" of a video review? Like Uncharted 2 isn't widely seen everywhere else.

If anything, they should be doing video reviews for the games not so big, so people can actually see more of them.

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

i liked having a quick look for Alan Wake rather than a video review... then again, that's because gameplay hasn't been shown a lot. I guess they killed two birds with one stone there. 

ku-fucking-dos

mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mshaw006

Quick looks are nice, but sometimes I feel like they are a bit too, not sloppy, but casual. Sometimes I just want to hear someone concisely tell me what's cool and not so cool about a game, while mixing in some footage. It's great to be able to watch a 4-5 minute video and be able to decide whether or not you like a game, rather than watch a half hour of interspersed commentary, silence, and jokes.