• 132 results
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Grumbel

A questions to all those that have gamed at least 15 or so years: Are you happy with today's games? Are there any advancements in gaming that you imagined to come true back then, but that are still not here? Is there anything that you consider to be "lost" from the "good old days" that is no longer findable in today's games? Is there anything in gaming today that surpasses your expectations you had back then?

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SpiralStairs

They're ok I suppose. The only game from this gen that I would give a 10/10 is MGS4 probably.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CaptainObvious

Of course, why wouldn't I be?    

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bravetoaster

Yes.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mrskidders

Yes

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm very happy with video games today. It seems like there are less really good ones, but that's probably just because I didn't have very high standards when I was younger.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zeforgotten

Sure, I do miss the longer games because there's a lot of games today that have a ton of promise but when they finally come out they're just pretty looking and over in 4-6 hours.  
But there are many good games still, so I'm happy

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By MichaelBach

Games are awesome today especially games like Dragon Age, Mass Effect and modern shooters. Can't wait to see what's next!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iam3green

the only thing i wish there were more time in games. they release a game that is only like 5-8 hours long. i wish they were longer like the other games. i don't think there are as memory games this generation than last one.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond

Happy enough, but I miss some of the old ways of doing things.  There's not enough genre variety.  Japanese and PC games development has dropped off, too.  Where are the games like Jumping Flash and Wing Commander and Tie Fighter and Chrono Trigger today?  It's hard to even imagine something that awesome existing today.  Still, awesome things happen, but now even the smallest thing is like an amazing breakthrough.

In 1996 the future of games seemed infinite in every respect.  Every genre was growing, every company and platform was growing.  New gaming companies were popping up all over the place.

Still, there's a lot of things better about gaming now.  Virtually every action game today is miles better than the action games of yesteryear.  The amount of options games have today is stunning.

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By commandercup

I've got a bit less than 15 years of playing games, but I can still remember playing old games (even if newer systems and games had already come out) and I really enjoyed them. As a kid I had very few games and I spent a lot of time at stores playing display systems and merely looking at game boxes which was exciting in its own right. Nowadays, I have a significantly larger library and get to play a whole lot more, which is both good and bad. 

That being said, the standouts that I can remember are Starcraft and surprisingly Pokemon (Shows you my approximate age). Starcraft is the game that got me addicted to gaming as I played for long hours and even dealt with 28k Dial-Up to play multiplayer matches.

I think that gaming today is significantly better than it was before and even if it doesn't seem that way (since there was more obvious innovation and creativity as there were many games yet) I know that games are improving and getting better even if the iterations have less difference between them.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By trophyhunter

Hell yeah mofo

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By trophyhunter
@MichaelBach said:
" Games are awesome today especially games like Dragon Age, Mass Effect and modern shooters. Can't wait to see what's next! "
*high five*
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By JoeyRavn
@CaptainObvious said:
" Of course, why wouldn't I be?     "
This. And if I ever want to play yesterday's games, I go and play them. If you're not happy with gaming is because you don't want to be happy. There's fun for everyone.
Khantael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By Khantael

I'm less of a fan of modern games than I was with the games that came out in the 90s when I was a kid. Mostly because my favourite game genre is considerably downsized (adventure games). I don't play shooters generally, so I don't really care about advancements there to be honest, same with most fighting games. I like RPGs, but it feels like less are being made, certainly for the consoles that I own anyway... and I see ones for other consoles and I'm very hesitant.

So, 'm not as happy, but that's a personal thing as it doesn't cater so well for me. I'm sure for people who do love shooters etc. it's great.

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

Absolutely. Although some questionable decisions have been made these past few years IMO (ex. DLC, and how it's used), I have not become bitter and hateful of where gaming stands today. I look forward to what tomorrow brings!

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By armaan8014

Games like The Witcher (EE), Dragon Age, Oblivion etc keep me really happy!
Also, Deadly premonition :D

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By time allen

i'll be happy when i can come out of more games being as affected as i have been after watching a great movie or reading a great book, without the need to take me out of the game via cutscenes or such things of that nature. some games are at that level now, but video games on the whole are still pretty shallow. when more games marry gameplay and storytelling successfully, i'll be a happy man.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Honestly games today sucks, I like the ps2 days where they didn't have great graphics, so they focused only on gameplay. I feel these days there are alot of the same type of games and alot of mediocrity. Last gen ps2 had nothing but games scoring over 90% on gamerankings. Of course we have some decent games today like mass effect 2 and stuff, we have a lot of medicore games like far cry 2 and other generic crap.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Yeah games are still great today but because we have the internet and are able to get more games people think it sucks.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#21  Edited By alistercat

I've been gaming for almost 17 years and I think games are getting better and better. I just think my enjoyment of games is shrinking, because I'm changing as I grow up. It's not the fault of the games.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By time allen
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Honestly games today sucks, I like the ps2 days where they didn't have great graphics, so they focused only on gameplay. 

"

did you ACTUALLY just type those words? i find it somewhat hard to believe that hitmanagent47 would write those words under normal conditions.

Noxpectius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Noxpectius

I dont get into them as much as in the SNES/N64 days. Maybe its because I can now afford to buy more of them, so I only spend around a week per game, maybe its because on average there's less content (not counting stuff like Dragon Age offcourse). But I cant amagine spending months on a game like I used to. I played Ocarina Of Time like 6 times in a row discovering every nook and cranny. That was even before I spoke a word of english, so I didnt even get anything from it storywise.

gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By gabha

Not as happy as with the previous 3 generations, but yeah happy enough.

bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By bibledoctor

No complaints here. The storylines in most games are getting better as the years come and go.

Maxynator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Maxynator

I miss games like the first Gears and Super Mario 64, games that looked great for their time and where innovative and renewing, except for MW2 and GTA4, the last few years haven't had any real good games

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By donwoogie
Nope.  As you get older, you get less surprised by the leaps in gaming tech as you come to expect them.  Back in the day, games would make me fall to my knees and weep for joy (and frustration).  Now, it's fun, but no where near as surprising.
sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By sixpin

I'm happy with where games are today. I don't see a reason not to be happy with them, unless I choose to become so overwhelmed with nostalgia that I refuse to enjoy anything new.

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MichaelBach

Go back and play the games you think fondly off and you will see... they kinda suck now that you are used to todays games.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I love contemporary video games, apart from the ones that aren't good -- like Tomb Raider Underworld.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31  Edited By galiant

I've had some great gaming experiences in my adult years, I really enjoy the direction it's taken. What I'm not sure about is DLC - I like it when you can add extra content to an already finished game (like Fallout 3), but I hate it when there's stuff already on disc that they make you pay extra to use. That, and exclusive pre-order DLC that you can't get anywhere else - I don't enjoy that =/

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JoeyRavn
@HitmanAgent47 said: 
"Honestly games today sucks, I like the ps2 days where they didn't have great graphics, so they focused only on gameplay. I feel these days there are alot of the same type of games and alot of mediocrity. Last gen ps2 had nothing but games scoring over 90% on gamerankings."

That...  is not true, sorry. Maybe nostalgia is a factor here, but the PS2 library is full of shovelware. And obviously PS2 graphics may seem "not great" nowadays, but five years ago they were certainly great. And for lack of originality in today's games... well, how many JRPGs are there for PS2? Mind you, I'm not bashing the PS2 at all. But what you're saying strikes me as... odd, at least.
galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#33  Edited By galiant
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Honestly games today sucks, I like the ps2 days where they didn't have great graphics, so they focused only on gameplay. I feel these days there are alot of the same type of games and alot of mediocrity. Last gen ps2 had nothing but games scoring over 90% on gamerankings. Of course we have some decent games today like mass effect 2 and stuff, we have a lot of medicore games like far cry 2 and other generic crap.

"
There has always been "alot of the same type of games and alot of mediocrity". That hasn't changed one bit. The PS2 library is huge, and I can assure you that the majority of those games are CRAP. I'm saying this as someone who loved the PS2 as well. Saying that  the "last gen ps2 had nothing but games scoring over 90% on gamerankings" is an outright fabrication!
jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jozzy

20 years ago I imagined games would be way more into the virtual reality territory by now. We should all be sporting holodecs by now, what went wrong :(

Games have always been a big part of my life, and I still enjoy it in the same unhealthy way as I did way back when.

Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Glak

I like good games, and there are a lot this gen
Doesn't matter what generation, each gen is filled with crap games and good games

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By AndrewB

I'm disappointed that no one is making what are seen as "traditional eastern RPGs." anymore. Where Japan sticks with a formula many of us easterners are calling derivative, here we have a formula that wasn't anywhere near tired and it just disappeared. 

And when I think of traditional eastern RPG, I think of strategic gameplay with an isometric camera and the ability to pause to issue commands. Everything these days seems to go for the broad appeal of "action RPG," where you'll be fine as long as you keep mashing a button and/or keep clicking. I'm not saying there's no room for that or that it isn't also fun, but not every game has to be like that.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By trophyhunter
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

"
Wow If I didn't think you were an idiot before.
SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SteamPunkJin

For the most part games are too easy now - and generally can't throw together something that's a challenge without making it overly cheap. 
I hate regenerating health.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jimbo

The industry doesn't have the spark that it used to have, but there's enough to keep my interest, and I still have faith we'll get out of this rut eventually.  

What we need are independent studios making AAA games and owning their own IP again.  We need some 'artistic integrity' (for want of a better term) back in the top end of the industry.  The likes of Respawn and Bungie - who have now effectively transcended the modern 'Publisher > Dev' relationship - have a real opportunity to set a precedent and change things for the better.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By BigBoss1911

I miss the days when developers spent more time building a more memorable single player game instead of focusing so much on online play.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@trophyhunter: Your a ps3 fanboy, you will like almost anything today imo just because it's on your favorite console. I mean the ps3 didn't have a 90% or more game on gamerankings for a few years since launch. Don't worry, I always thought you were an idiot with your anti pc rhetoric, it makes me laugh.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Galiant: Of course not every game was over 90%, however I can list you all the 90% and over games if necessary, trust me there are like triple the amount of 90% and more games on gamerankings on the ps2 compared to today and there were a ton of exclusives too. If you don't belive me I can write out all the 90% game, i'm just saying there was alot more than this gen.
ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By ATrevelan
@BigBoss1911 said:
" I miss the days when developers spent more time building a more memorable single player game instead of focusing so much on online play. "
This. Some devs still manage to deliver on both fronts, but I'm also peeved at the shift towards multiplayer. Bungie and Infinity Ward were two devs who consistently delivered on both fronts, but both ODST and MW2 were a step backwards in terms of their singleplayer campaigns. It's looking like Reach will be a return to form, though, and I'm interested to see (years from now) what Respawn will bring to the table.
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Coombs

I do miss the good old leaderboard days, 
But many of the arcade titles fill this need for me (Trials HD) 
 Even though I could never hope to get to the top of the world boards, Competing with my friends list is still good fun.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Grumbel

For me it is a bit of a mixed bag. Some things have definitively improved in gaming, user interfaces in old games for example basically range from really bad to unimaginatively horrible (including famous issues such as not being able to use up/down to select your save in Zelda or RTS that don't make proper use of both buttons, X-Wing not giving you separate rudder control, etc.), making it sometimes hard to enjoy older games. In today's games on the other side the user interface is in general rather polished and even a bad interface is generally better then a good one from 15 years ago. Some of that user interface polish however goes to far, for example I am rather tired of cover based third person shooters following always the exact same mechnaics, they work and are fun, but they just get boring when almost every of your games plays kind of the same. A little more experimentation and risk taking, even if it doesn't always pen out, would be welcome.

The overall trend to sequels in todays games however is more then a little annoying and even if there is a new game every once in a while, you can almost be certain that it will be turned into a franchise with multiple sequels, ports and stuff to follow. It is sometimes rather depressing to look through the top10 of a console and basically only see stuff that is in its fourth or fifths iteration. I don't mind a good triology every once in a while, but sometimes they should really put a series to rest and move on. I really don't need series that run for 15 years spanning all kinds of different platforms.

Another thing that bothers  me is that some limitations are still there. Why for example do we still have invisible walls in games? I can understand when my Amiga had to cheat around, I can much less understand it when a Playstation 3 has to do it. Ironically, Amiga or early PC games often offered more freedom, for example you won't really find an invisible wall in your old school flightsim, yet many modern ones have them. This applies to many issues, same with time-limited replays. My C64 had limited memory, so replay in a soccer game was limited, but why dose GRID have such a short limited replay? Why don't you have more camera control in that game? By today such limitations really shouldn't exist and they should be basically on every developers "Things I must fix before I release" list.

One of the biggest issues with todays games for me is probably the  lack of progress in what I would call "interactive complexity". Take an old adventure game, you could pick up stuff, could use it, talk to people, etc. Yet in many modern games you are basically limited to shooting people in the face. Even in RPGs that allow you do to some more stuff, you are basically limited to the same things you could do some 10 or 15 years ago. A dialog tree today is still pretty much the same thing as dialog tree 15 years ago. Things like freeform dialog have existed to some extend in text adventures for quite a while and in other more experimental games such as Facade or Storytron, but that stuff really never made it into today mainstream gaming. This issues extends of course to basically all scripted events, you can literally look at SCUMM scripting from back in 1987 and compare it to your latest Uncharted2 and it is pretty much the exact same thing, a few minor syntax changes aside. By today we really should have proper AI to drive our dynamic NPCs, not the static "if condition() then play_animation()" style of scripting. Of course there are a few games that try, but those hardly reach anything one could call satisfying results.

Then there are also some gaming trends that have reached a tend end. The good old VR helmets for example, they where kind of a big deal 15 years ago, but then just fade away never to be seen again. Today it should be possible to build those things much less bulky, with better resolution and solid head tracking, yet we don't see those things, instead we get stereoscopic 3D, which by the way also already existed 15 years ago, so its not exactly a new thing.

The mystery in games has also faded away with walk throughs  and FAQs easily available. Even the most obscure glitch is now well documented in some Youtube video, while back then it was all a lot more driven by rumors and you might have to wait months to get your hands at a walkthrough, if you got one at all. That made even simple games feel a lot more interesting then they really where. But of course it is a trade off, while lack of easy available FAQs added mystery, being stuck on some issue for month wasn't fun. So I'll probably prefer things today and there is always the option to not peek at walkthrough.

Overall I am happy with todays games, but the lack of new things or at least different things can be annoying. If I want the best space sim available, jump'n run, mech sim or the best adventure I'd have to pick a game that is at least a decade old if not more, as those kinds of games is hardly made anymore. Now those genre are of course nothing "new" by the hard definition of the word, but a genre that hasn't been in used for 10 years, certainly feels a lot more interesting then yet another third person shooter.

For now I better end it, its already kind of tl;dr.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lunar_Aura
@Grumbel said:
"A questions to all those that have gamed at least 15 or so years: Are you happy with today's games? Are there any advancements in gaming that you imagined to come true back then, but that are still not here? Is there anything that you consider to be "lost" from the "good old days" that is no longer findable in today's games? Is there anything in gaming today that surpasses your expectations you had back then? "

Time didn't change things much because there are many diamonds in the rough in gaming today more than ever with the advent of internet distribution. Back in the day you had extremely limited budgets and limited technology. People really had to squeeze every last drop out of both to have a worthwhile game on their hands. 

Nowadays, studios with near infinite budgets and awesome graphics card and CPU tech are given so much more freedom at the price of the creativity that comes with the sense of urgency and risk birthed from limits. Many of the games I'd go back to do not stand the test of time as one would easily find a free flash game nowadays that does it better but that's not a fair comparison. My point is that these might not be the "good old days" to somebody who is so tied to gaming nostalgia, but today will be somebody's "good old days" in its own right.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I find games a little easier to get into these days.

They do however, tend to have less soul than the games of old.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

They're awesome, thanks for asking.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Grumbel
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" I love contemporary video games, apart from the ones that aren't good -- like Tomb Raider Underworld. "
I really liked Tomb Raider: Underworld, because it goes back to the basics. It just throws you in a huge level that you can then go and explore, without being handhold all the way through like in almost all other games. Now of course it wasn't a perfect game, it was full of bugs and glitches and generally felt like it could have spend another few month in development, but what it tried really was something different then pretty much all the other contemporary games. Also the rope was really cool. I wanna see more games with dynamic ropes, aside from the 2D Worms and Tomb Raider:UW, I really can't think of any.