Seperate Pokemon Red and Blue, and others

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Can Pokemon Red and Blue be seperated please, they are seperate games that were released seperately and have seperate box art. Its just not right for them to have to share a page, as similar as they are.

Can the same also be done for the other merged Pokemon games too, like FireRed and LeafGreen... and I suspect Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl probably have the same problem.

I can understand Blue and Green sharing the same page, since they were infact the same game released under a different name for different regions. But the others are seperate games so I think it would be proper for them to have seperate pages.

Thanks!

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Can someone atleast post their thoughts on this?

logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By logson

There are different pokemon in the games, but that can be worked into the game's article on the site (perhaps under a "Differences Between Red and Blue" title.) They ARE different games, but in this case where the only difference is a handful of pokemon, I think it's appropriate for the games to be merged.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Well personally I think they are different games, no matter how small the differences, and should be treated as such. It's not like Giant Bomb cant have pages to accomodate the games seperately.

Oh and thanks for posting and I totally understand where your coming from, I just think they need their own pages thats all.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By twenty0ne

I think they should definitely have different wiki pages. They're different games, and I'd want to add both of them separately when our "collections" start working.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Alex_V

Yes I definitely think they should be on different pages.

capitanm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By capitanm1

I donno, this game is pretty much the same.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By twenty0ne
capitanm1 said:
"I donno, this game is pretty much the same.
"
But they are still two separate games, are they not? Just because they're similar doesn't mean they're the same.
Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Blubba

No, because having 2 forums for essentially the same game is kinda dumb. All discussion about the game would be easier to find on one page.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Yeah, I dont think the content differences in each game is really substantial enough to warrant two seperate pages.

Falkien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Falkien

true and the rest of the Pokemon handheld such as Diamond and Pearl, Gold and Silver

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By twenty0ne
Blubba said:
"No, because having 2 forums for essentially the same game is kinda dumb. All discussion about the game would be easier to find on one page.
"
But still, it's two different games.

This would be like combining NBA Live and NBA 2k games. They're pretty much the exact same, but they're two different games, and therefore have different pages.

Pokemon games shouldn't be an exception.
Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Blubba
twenty0ne said:
"Blubba said:
"No, because having 2 forums for essentially the same game is kinda dumb. All discussion about the game would be easier to find on one page.
"
But still, it's two different games.

This would be like combining NBA Live and NBA 2k games. They're pretty much the exact same, but they're two different games, and therefore have different pages.

Pokemon games shouldn't be an exception.
"
No not really. Those are two different games, developed by two different companies, with two different groups of fans.

The Pokemon games should stay together because they are really just 2 different versions of the same game. Red and Blue are built around just one game, both are made by 1 company, and they have the same fanbase. Oh, and the games are completely compatible with each other, despite being "different". Why would they need two different forums? Unless, someone really wants to talk about how they like red-tinted rooms, there is no reason. Think about Diamond and Pearl for a moment. Do we seriously need people jumping through two different pages to swap friend codes?

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
twenty0ne said:
"I think they should definitely have different wiki pages. They're different games, and I'd want to add both of them separately when our "collections" start working.
"

I think thats a very good point. If our collections list starts working that is. Whats up with that?
duckofdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By duckofdoom

This is a though call but I think I agree with keeping the games together. I understand the desire to seperate them for collection purposes but I think keeping duscussion about the game to one wiki is more important. Besides you can note in the collection list that you own both versions. Let's be honest here, they are pretty much the same game. Same plot, same locations, same ending. A hand full of pokemon doesn't make that big a difference.

legend_cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By legend_cloud

The games are kinda the same to me, except with different pokemon.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By twenty0ne
DuckofDoom said:
"This is a though call but I think I agree with keeping the games together. I understand the desire to seperate them for collection purposes but I think keeping duscussion about the game to one wiki is more important. Besides you can note in the collection list that you own both versions. Let's be honest here, they are pretty much the same game. Same plot, same locations, same ending. A hand full of pokemon doesn't make that big a difference.
"
But it makes a small difference, which warrants a different wiki page, does it not?

See? Two different games.
See? Two different games.

capitanm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By capitanm1

They are completly the same, if that would be the case then they would have create wiki pages for each game even if it is the same but released in different consoles. For example, Zelda Twilight Princess, GC and Wii versions are different, wii has the wii controlers 16.8 allowed (I think) widescreen support, and im sure im missing some other stuff. Whats the point of creating 2 different pages for games like this if in the end its just the same.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By twenty0ne
capitanm1 said:
"They are completly the same, if that would be the case then they would have create wiki pages for each game even if it is the same but released in different consoles. For example, Zelda Twilight Princess, GC and Wii versions are different, wii has the wii controlers 16.8 allowed (I think) widescreen support, and im sure im missing some other stuff. Whats the point of creating 2 different pages for games like this if in the end its just the same.
"
Because they're different games, on the same system. You can't compare that to two games on two different systems.

There's graphical differences, and certain Pokemon can be seen in certain games.
legend_cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By legend_cloud

Does it really matter? They probably did it to save time and space.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By twenty0ne
legend_cloud said:
"Does it really matter? They probably did it to save time and space.
"
Yes, it matters. What's the point of a Wiki feature without community feedback?
Adrenaline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 170

User Lists: 39

#22  Edited By Adrenaline

They're the same game.  Small differences between versions are not different games.

logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By logson
twenty0ne said:
"I think they should definitely have different wiki pages. They're different games, and I'd want to add both of them separately when our "collections" start working.
"
Good point. However, I worry that the articles for each respective wiki page might come out radically different for games that can be differentiated ONLY by the pokemon in them. Perhaps if there was a way to have the articles on their wiki pages update as one, so if one is changed, the other is as well.
CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Well, after reading through all of the responses, I think it would actually be best to keep them together. That way we can:

• keep the conversations in the same forum
  • have one article covering both games and the differences between them, this avoids 2 radically different articles

I'm gunna go and edit the Red/Blue page to add the different versions to the release list, that way we can add them to our collections seperately.

That should solve everything I think ^_^

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They are the same game apart from a few differences. Keeping them together makes the wiki much more manageable.

De5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By De5

They are the same game with two different versions.  Every set of games like this should stay merged (Pokemon, Mega Man Battle Network/Star Force, etc.).

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Brad

We discussed this extensively before launching the site, with both Pokemon and Battle Network/Star Force coming up as examples. These games are essentially identical with only a handful of different collectible characters distinguishing them from each other. All the other information about them you would write would be the same, so it's more effective to collect all that info (including a section on the differences) in the same page where it's more easily accessible to anyone with either version of the game.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Luke

To expand on what Brad said, I also think another good reason is that both the Pokemon Red and Blue games share the same story (as well as the rest of the games in the Franchise), and thus should stay all together on 1 single page.

The Wiki Section is not some in-depth Strategy Guide, but more of an Overview with some Strategy/Trivia Elements thrown-in.  Someone can easy input the differences between these 2 Pokemon games on this 1 single page.

For a great example, you could even look at a game like Final Fantasy IV.  It has just 1 single page, but its remakes are even more vastly different between each other than the Pokemon games. The main thing here is that it's plot is the same between the 5 different remakes, thus the reason for only having 1 single page.

In situations like this, I believe it is more helpful that these games stay on 1 single page, so that there is a more focused repository of information.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Daniel

organizational bump!