Video problems (including Roku/Chromecast/etc)? Get in here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@kenma said:

Sorry if it's already been mentioned.

Watching the live streams (Free / Premium) via Chromecast works absolutely fine if the GB video player is Twitch...

Watching the live streams via Chromecast if the GB video player is not Twitch, does not work for me – constant hitching / stuttering after 5 minutes of being relatively fine.

That's been my experience for the past few months with no change in performance.

I can watch an archived stream via Chromecast if I set the Quality to High rather than HD.

What model of chromecast are you using?

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@rorie: Yep, that totally fixed that, tyty.

Picto_Obscure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Hi Rorie,

Using a second generation Chromecast. Manufacturer No: GA3A00094-A04-Z01

HDMI 1080p

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rorie: It is for the VODs. I'll do a little digging and see what I can find. Thanks.

Sojak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I just started rocking a pi-hole, so I'm back to having issues. Would it be possible to get a list of domains from the engineers that I should whitelist in order to get site-hosted videos working again?

Hurricrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've been running into ridiculous hitching problems with the GB player. It'll play for less than a second, then hitch for several seconds. It's unwatchable and I can't figure out why.

It's happening right now in Jeff's most recent stream

I'm using Firefox and it persists no matter what extensions I'm using including Adblock, Privacy Badger, and Video DownloadHelper. I've tried it with private mode and switching to progressive streaming and quality levels. My IP is 173.23.47.10

Thanks!

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Basically since lockdown started I've had audio desync issues when watching livestreams on the Twitch player. It's not my internet connection, since it works fine on my desktop, but it really doesn't like my Surface Laptop 3.

I don't think it's my computer being unable to keep up with the stream (it's the version with the Ryzen 5 3550U/8GB RAM). I'm on Windows 10 10.0.18362 Build 18362.

I get the desync both on Chrome and the new version of Edge.

hermitation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New here so sorry if I'm not doing it right. From the start I had problems with your embedded videos no matter live or archived.. hitting the play button does nothing. Download works by starting the archived file in a new tab.

Right now I wanted to watch The HotSpot .. all I got was "Loading Video". With my default Chrome (84.0.4147.89), Chromium Edge (84.0.522.40), Brave and then I stopped trying but digging in the frame source and checking chromiums console. I saw a lot of blocked by client because auf autoplay and tracking. Didn't see what URL though... digging deeper I found the embed:

<iframe id="js-iframe-player-1" src="/videos/embed/15945/?allow_gb=yes&ad_campaign_id=15945&autoplay=1&tracking=1"

As soon I used the full url without the tracking and autoplay the stream worked without probs. Those parameters seem to be the problem here in my amateur opinion.

Client side I tried mentioned Browsers, with and without Extensions (uBlock) and diabled piHole on my gateway. The stream worked on the android client btw.

Maybe this is a temporary prob in chromium base and is gone with the next version or it's all about them browser fighting tracking or wehatever. I can get it to work somehow but also I don't want my account to be flagged bypassing anything if you know what I mean. Just thought I leave this here if of interest for staff maybe?

GarlicRagu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermitation: Wanted to mention I'm having the exact same problem you are as well.

hermitation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dinofan01: Okay so it is not just me *phew .. reading a lot in the forums, catching up etc. just saw how to proper bug report here, next time ;)

I installed Firefox (78.0.2) with default settings and only uBlock (all default here as well) and everything works so far, guess FF it is for a while.

sod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1111  Edited By sod

I am having the same 'video just doesn't load in the GB player' issue. (Firefox 79.0). Everything is whitelisted and all of that.

Edit: FWIW, the 'download' method works for me.

GoombaAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Hi rorie, my reply is to your post #709 from my original #707.. I'll paste here again for convenience:

"I'm posting here as I've recently started having issues watching Premium Videos on my laptop. I have a fast connection which is able to handle HD streaming on my Xbox One X, using the Giant Bomb App for the exact same videos/content, so speed is not issue for me. I used to be able to watch these videos with no problem, HOWEVER I recently began using a VPN and this started the issue.. I have attempted to rectify the issue through disabling the VPN, hoping for things to reset, however the damage looks to have been done and I'm having the same issues. It should be noted that I have tried clearing the cache/cookies from the Giant Bomb Website and this hasn't helped.

I filled out the template you posted Rorie, please let me know if you can help, cheers! :)

• What kind of issue are you running into?: Videos load for 8 seconds, play for 4 seconds, then buffer for another 8 seconds... repeat repeat :(
  • Any specific videos where it’s occurring?: Every Premium / Non Youtube video
  • Browser where issues are occurring (have you tried another one?): Chrome, Firefox and Edge
  • Are the issues the same in incognito mode or when you disable extensions?: Yes
  • If not, what extensions are you running?: N/A
  • Have you tried switching from HTML5 to Progressive streaming? Did this help your issue?: Yes, No it does not.
  • Have you tried switching from Auto quality to one of the other options? Did this help?: No
  • What’s your IP address (in case it’s an Akamai issue)?: 58.173.181.186"

I tried turning off the VPN but it hasn't fixed anything after 24 hrs and still have the same issue. I don't know what to do here, please help.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Hi rorie, my reply is to your post #709 from my original #707.. I'll paste here again for convenience:

"I'm posting here as I've recently started having issues watching Premium Videos on my laptop. I have a fast connection which is able to handle HD streaming on my Xbox One X, using the Giant Bomb App for the exact same videos/content, so speed is not issue for me. I used to be able to watch these videos with no problem, HOWEVER I recently began using a VPN and this started the issue.. I have attempted to rectify the issue through disabling the VPN, hoping for things to reset, however the damage looks to have been done and I'm having the same issues. It should be noted that I have tried clearing the cache/cookies from the Giant Bomb Website and this hasn't helped.

I filled out the template you posted Rorie, please let me know if you can help, cheers! :)

• What kind of issue are you running into?: Videos load for 8 seconds, play for 4 seconds, then buffer for another 8 seconds... repeat repeat :(
  • Any specific videos where it’s occurring?: Every Premium / Non Youtube video
  • Browser where issues are occurring (have you tried another one?): Chrome, Firefox and Edge
  • Are the issues the same in incognito mode or when you disable extensions?: Yes
  • If not, what extensions are you running?: N/A
  • Have you tried switching from HTML5 to Progressive streaming? Did this help your issue?: Yes, No it does not.
  • Have you tried switching from Auto quality to one of the other options? Did this help?: No
  • What’s your IP address (in case it’s an Akamai issue)?: 58.173.181.186"

I tried turning off the VPN but it hasn't fixed anything after 24 hrs and still have the same issue. I don't know what to do here, please help.

Hey, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'm not sure how flipping on a VPN and flipping it off could impact our video player, but is this still happening for you? Maybe @wcarle might be able to shed some light.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1114  Edited By Cagliostro88

Hello,

The video player on the site suddenly started to go into conflict with Ublock Origin (I'm with Firefox 79.0 on Windows). If I try to load a video from the site it simply gives me a black window with nothing on it I can interact with. If I go through the download the player loads without any issue. I've updated Ublock to the latest version but I still have the same issue, either I disable it or I can't see anything on the site (the audio player has no issues tho).

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same problem as the above, but with Adblock Plus instead. Disabling Adblock Plus allows videos to play normally, but enabled the player just won't load.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

@cagliostro88: Ublock origin fixed it, force update your filters and it should be fine.

Click this "purge" thing:

No Caption Provided

@noblenerf I would recommend you or anyone use ublock origin instead of adblock plus. It's faster, works better and it doesn't get paid to allow some ads.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: it worked, thank you very much :))))

Biddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: Thanks! The update seemed to work for me.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1120  Edited By Forcen

I've been having some problems getting videos to fully load recently, it relates to ublock origin but it's not a filter issue it seems or at least it's not only a filter issue. I can't really wrap my head around it..

Firefox 80.0.1 (64-bit), uBlock Origin v1.29.2. Not many other addons, I can sometimes reproduce it in a new default firefox profile with just the ublock origin at default settings plus these two extra filter lists checked in the settings: AdGuard Annoyance and Fanboy’s Annoyance. (they are under the annoyance section, expand it with the +)

The main weird thing is: I notice a premium video video wont load, so I open the network monitor thing in firefox (Ctrl+Shift+E) and then do a refresh or a Ctrl+F5 and then it will load without problems..

Or for not premium videos, this video: https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/quick-look-persona-5/2970-12116 won't load without the trick above but it will if i do it in private browsing while logged out (still ublock). Sometimes it feels like a coin flip but the Ctrl+Shift+E trick always works.

Here is a gif of it happening:

No Caption Provided

Notice that most of the site loads at 13:12:12 but the last important bit happens at 13:12:16 in the console log above.

Here is the text version of that console log above: https://bin.snopyta.org/?bb0042dcba086e5f#2w3ZT3xEKoALuBULA14fVZ5qGzRYgVtqrtNQMaLh3MYd (link should last for a year)

I normally block most stuff like third party but i allowed so much stuff and it works fine if I pull up that network manager.

I'm not saying ublock origin is blameless in this but the site is acting a bit weird still. Just check if something is funky on your end...

Thanks for reading all this.

EDIT: I fixed this with an exception in ublock:

@@||cdn.cookielaw.org/scripttemplates/otSDKStub.js$script,domain=www.giantbomb.com

@@||cdn.cookielaw.org/scripttemplates/6.5.0/otBannerSdk.js$script,domain=www.giantbomb.com

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1122  Edited By Forcen

This video right here: https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/super-mario-bros-the-lost-levels-v/2970-20669

It won't play unless you manually pick html5 - high. Basically, "auto" doesn't work. Looks like Progressive also works.

It should work it self out later on when the video processes or something but still, the player should be able to handle this in someway. This seems to happen with newly uploaded videos now and then.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is still happening with the video above, also each time it happens it seems to reset the progress it remembered for the video.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: @forcen: Hey I think this should be solved now, but let me know if it's not!

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just gonna post and say that it works now! Thank you all for your hard work!

Avatar image for plethomacademia
plethomacademia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of the roku apps are loading videos, they just spin loading. This includes beta and bombermin.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chromecast using the website stops working after a bit.

I got a generation 2 chromecast. At first it plays ok on lower quality, then it starts raising quality and it gets too high for the device and it starts stuttering.

bacontacosyum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, there is some kind of issue on roku with the clue crew playlist. It’s not available in the section with all the shows, though I can see some of the videos when I go into one when it’s recent enough to be on the main carousel. Even then though, many videos are missing from the playlist. Thanks for all your work guys.

Thorzdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently added the GB app to my Roku StreamingStick+, and all that happens is the GB logo appears, then it drops back to the Roku homescreen.

Apologies if this belongs elsewhere in the forums. I joined looking for help. Looks like I'm not alone with this issue.

vonsoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Still rocking the same Roku bug after months here. Any ETA on fix? App doesn't work on any of my Rokus (TCL TV / Roku 4K UHD /Roku Stick x2)

hiimmikecruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The Bombermin app isn’t working now either.

Ichi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorzdad: having the same issue, see the logo for a second then crashes to home page.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ichi_ said:

@thorzdad: having the same issue, see the logo for a second then crashes to home page.

Hmm I'm not familiar with the Roku StreamingStick but I will see if an engineer can poke around with it.

Ichi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: just to clarify mine is a roku premiere+ if that makes any difference. The GB app asked to be updated but that made no difference.

Thanks!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone here NOT having problems with their Rokus?

Ichi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: unrelated but there is also a redirect bug on the email notifications when it lets me know someone has responded.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ichi_ said:

@rorie: unrelated but there is also a redirect bug on the email notifications when it lets me know someone has responded.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I believe there is a ticket in for that!

Thorzdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:
@ichi_ said:

Hmm I'm not familiar with the Roku StreamingStick but I will see if an engineer can poke around with it.

On the advice of a friend, I deleted the GB channel, then sideloaded GB beta channel. Problem solved.

pearsonpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had the hitching problem with a 4K Apple TV. Switching to a higher capacity HDMI cable seemed to fix it, but then my Apple TV stopped working (specifically the TV just displays solid colors now while audio remains unchanged). I’m talking to Apple to fix the issue and will post again here when I know.

Ichi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

llero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1142  Edited By llero

I just started having the Apple TV hitching on a 4K AppleTV. Noticed it today, though I haven't watched any GB content in the two weeks or so. Noticed it on Miles Morales and Yakuza Like A Dragon quicklooks.

Edit: Also Breaking Brad XI. To be clear, this is through the app, and these did work a few weeks ago.

Screen-mirroring works fine.

ThomasVivaldi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only having trouble watching live streams on Roku, both the regular app and Bombermin. The archived stuff runs fine.

vonsoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Still not working on Roku, which I use primarily to watch premium content, now I just watch non-premium content on YT, going to drop my sub sadly for now. GL, streaming hardware wars suck :( (e.g. HBO Max)

Avatar image for jeff__the__great
Jeff__The__Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roku not working for me either. App keeps crashing on launch.

GrayFoxbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Web browser(Firefox) user here: GB Live streams via twitch are working fine for me but when it's a live stream(usually premium) going through the GB player I get a lot of buffering no matter the quality. Viewing archived content is fine.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1148  Edited By Forcen

Ive been having some issues watching videos on the site in the last day or two, videos switch to low quality constantly and they even stop to buffer multiple times per video.

Screenshot of the network and wait times:

No Caption Provided

As you can see i get two +60s buffering waits in about 3 min.

I'm using the Firefox 83.0 (64-bit) on Windows 10. I saved a HAR file from that log if you need it.

Robitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#1149  Edited By Robitt

Same issue as user above for the last two days. Constant buffering on videos. All my other streaming services works fine so I don't think there are any issues on my end. Its been getting worse and worse. Tried on Chrome in browser, and the PS4 browser. Same issue on both.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems to work better now, haven't had any problems in the last 12h or so.