I'm not a robot, but these captchas sure seem to think so

DoctorFaust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Not necessarily a bug on GB's part, but for a while now, the captcha process to log in has been uncooperative. I'm getting a version where the images disappear and reappear incredibly slowly, and even after accurately identifying everything, it says "Please try again" and proceeds to give me a set of about six-to-eight additional tests. Like, isn't the whole point of this to teach their robots what shit looks like because they're not sure in the first place?

In recent days, I've occasionally (rarely) gotten a captcha that works properly, with either quickly refreshing images or only being required to do a single screen of testing. Not sure what causes these different versions to appear, though, if anything. This could certainly just be neglect on Google's part (and the cynic in me says it's an intentional oversight that provides them more information than normal), but it's regularly taking me 10 minutes just to log in regardless.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By rorie

Not necessarily a bug on GB's part, but for a while now, the captcha process to log in has been uncooperative. I'm getting a version where the images disappear and reappear incredibly slowly, and even after accurately identifying everything, it says "Please try again" and proceeds to give me a set of about six-to-eight additional tests. Like, isn't the whole point of this to teach their robots what shit looks like because they're not sure in the first place?

In recent days, I've occasionally (rarely) gotten a captcha that works properly, with either quickly refreshing images or only being required to do a single screen of testing. Not sure what causes these different versions to appear, though, if anything. This could certainly just be neglect on Google's part (and the cynic in me says it's an intentional oversight that provides them more information than normal), but it's regularly taking me 10 minutes just to log in regardless.

What browser/device are you using? Is it doing this for you across all browsers?

DoctorFaust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: This is in Chrome on a desktop. I've tried it on Firefox, Edge, and Opera, and it seems to happen across all the browsers. I've noticed it's the disappearing/reappearing image version of the test that fails every time. The version where the images remain after being selected only seems to fail whenever one of the screens involves a picture that needs to be skipped (i.e., a picture of a motorcycle when they're asking for bicycles). Regardless of browser, I always get the "refreshing images" version of the test first, though. But it looks like Chrome is the only browser where the follow-up tests are consistently problematic. All the others seem okay after the initial failure.

owlnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

OMG THESE CAPTCHAS ARE THE WOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!1

seriously, wtf is going on? I've been having _exactly_ the same experience as @doctorfaust, and it's insufferable. Captchas are bad and dumb to to start with, but this is a whole other level of awful.

Sorry for the shouting, but it should never require 5 minutes of a voight-kampff test to log into a website.

I'm on firefox. I could try it on brave or something else, but honestly I shouldn't have to. Internet. Standards.