Jeff Gerstmann's Rant on "Gank"

daltimond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys, I need some help. I hope it's ok that I'm asking.

With Gerstmann leaving, people have been talking about their favorite Jeff moments. I've been a member of the site since 2010 but had definitely been around before then. I have one favorite moment but have not been able to find the source anymore.

In, I think a Bombcast, probably near the CBSI buyout, Jeff goes on a rant about the term "Gank" and how it started in hip hop with people like Eazy-E and somehow slowly made its way to being regularly used by DOTA players. I also knew this history and thought it was an insane trajectory for the world.

Unless I made this up in some weird fever dream, does anyone remember this or know where he said this? I'd love just to download it for posterity or clip it out and put it on Youtube since it's my favorite Jeff Moment.

Believe me, I've looked and my last resort is to just listen to the Bombcast archives, which I've done before and rather not have to do again. If anyone can help me find this, it would mean a lot. People need to hear it anyway.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Where have you looked? All the UPFs where Brad plays Dota, etc?

Avatar image for bigdaddygamebot
bigdaddygamebot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His rants were ever so enjoyable.

Duke Nukem Forever.

It was on the Hotspot and not Giant Bomb but it absolutely was a highlight for me.

Still and always a threat.

<3

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daltimond: It definitely happened. I don't remember it as a rant though. Just him noting that it was weird that the term had been appropriated in that way.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By indiana_jenkins

It was on a Bombcast episode in 2014 after dan joined. I'm afraid that's as specific as I can get. The reason I know it's that timeframe is because it appears on the 2014 episode of the "This Year" podcast. That podcast is a bunch of segments taken from various episodes and stitched together to resemble one (very) large episode of the Bombcast. 2014 was the last year that the person did one.

If you want to listen through over 12 hours of podcast that 2014 episode definitely has the segment in question. It's a good listen in general, and there are a few from various years of Bombcast.

The podcast is still available on archive.org here: https://archive.org/details/this-year-collection

It's a two parter, episode 146 and 147.

EDIT: I just quickly scrubbed through and the segment starts in episode 146 part a, at around 3:15:45. The rant itself starts at 3:28:30.

stevenmbrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice post, thank you

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I included that section in a clip I put on YouTube around TI4 - it was the first Bombcast Brad hosted :)

https://youtu.be/QdRPk6l6DsY

daltimond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@himsteveo: Thanks for this. This is the first time I've seen someone post it online. Definitely saving this for later.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigdaddygamebot: agreed. His rant about the folks that complained about the windwaker art style where he yelled “I wanna be a wolf, and fuck” is still one of the funniest moments in Bombcast history for me.

daltimond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By daltimond

So with everyone's help, including a couple of people on Reddit, I found the actual podcast.

Here's the Bombcast it was actually from. Giant Bombcast 07/22/2014 if you rather not click the link.

Happens around the 1 h 22 m mark.

Thanks for the help. I've already downloaded it to my computer and uploaded it to my Google drive so I won't have to search for it again.