Avatar image for groovinupslowly
GroovinUpSlowly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi!

I've recently started a project to apply Japanese variety show style headers and subtitles to videos from the Giant Bomb archive. The next two videos will also include picture-in-picture reaction shots.

Here is my first experiment:

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I approve!

Keep going with this.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please. Make. More.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By citizencoffeecake

This is just the best!

'Brad tempers his hopes in disbelief'

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WynnDuffy
No Caption Provided

I don't think the fonts are similar enough in style to Japanese TV...which is hard to do of course considering the language differences. Caps lock might work better?

GroovinUpSlowly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GroovinUpSlowly

Thank you for the encouragement!

It's true that the fonts are too thin. Especially for longer sentences, I stretched the subtitles taller so they'd take up more vertical screen space. Japanese text is very square and the fonts they use for TV are much thicker so their subtitles are much clearer. Not to mention the amount of space saved by kanji. I'll have to keep looking for closer matches and try caps lock in the next one.

Gaki no Tsukai and Shabekuri 007 were my main references for color and...I guess mood? Emotion? I'm not a native speaker, not even fluent, but half of the project is discerning cultural equivalents. In the meantime, this YouTube video is compilation of clips from Shabekuri 007 that include English text at the start. It looks like they're using a book-like serif font to maybe emphasize the stilted English. Would the equivalent of that be an English speaker saying a set Japanese phrase with the book-like font Gainax used for Eva's title screens? ( an example from ANN ) That's my interpretation.

*cough* so yeah anyway I appreciate criticism because it's a chance for a dialogue on an obsession *cough*

P.S. My old faithful stream sources have started dying one by one. YouTube will always come through one way or another but it's not quite the same. R.I.P.

Geralt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched a lot of Japanese TV shows in my day. So a little input, there's a specific sound cue that they used, a chime, a drum (taiko? mokugyu?) when certain comedy beat happens.

Good jobs, I'll keep an eye out for your next video!

GroovinUpSlowly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hadn't even thought of adding sound! Thank you!

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Really cool.