Do you find yourself modeling your life after Dan?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@geirr said:

Challenging your preconceptions and trying the things that seem stupid or "hippy dippy" to you is usually only a good thing. Don't be afraid to experience things for yourself.

The irony of this statement when Dan is dismissive of anything he considers "not for cool people" is palpable.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@newhuman said:
@undeadpool said:

He's a truly fascinating man. He's ignorant without being hateful, and that alone makes him strange in a wonderful way. I've never heard someone say in one breath that everyone at Burning Man should be arrested while talking about how he fundamentally doesn't understand things like slut shaming and homophobia.

Ignorance isn't that charming when Trump and Clinton are the presidential nominees

Well, making them equivalent is the first step to calming. And that's what I mean: Dan is ACTUALLY the Idiocracy moron (without the uncomfortable eugenics undercurrent that movie has that people handily ignore): he's a dumb guy who KNOWS he's a dumb guy. And unlike Trump: he has no bigotry and hatefulness behind it (and isn't as dumb as he pretends to be, but now I'm breaking precious kayfabe).

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The only aspect of Dan that he makes public that I think is good practice is having a good workout regimen. You could also argue the meditation is good, but eh, not my thing. He also seem like the kind of guy to try new things that challenge him, which is always good practice. (Edit: This sometimes strikes me as a tad bit hypocritical, since he always seems to dismiss a lot of things that he's never seen/experienced because he assumes it's "uncool" or "for children").

Other than that, the played up "blissful ignorance", the Taco Bell, the wrestling, the competitiveness that leads to me just finding his on camera persona generally annoying, the unexplained objective statements? No thanks.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No. My life would be much worse if I tried to be like Dan. Besides that I'm old enough to already know who I am and trying to pretend to be someone else would just be frustrating.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo said:

Before I make any decision, I think to myself, "What would Dan do?"

And then I do the opposite.

No Caption Provided

In some situations he can give not bad advise. Still, I wouldn't take him as an expert on anything. Except for maybe how to execute the nosiest silent kills.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I certainly wouldn't say I model my life on him, but there are certainly things to be learned from Dan. He has a really admirable positive attitude and seems to cram a ton into his daily routine. Especially of late with his more open-minded attitude to trying new stuff. I said earlier this week, "Y'know, if Dan can try mayonnaise after all these years then I can eat a Subway." Sure that's a dumb, tiny thing - but his willingness of late to accept his failings and attempt to address them and improve himself is admirable.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The "reexamine your habits and get out your shell" thing has been the most positive thing I've seen out of New Dan and all joking aside I think that's something that's good for anyone to do. I also appreciate that he's good about recognizing the positive influences around him.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

There are aspects of Dan I find legitimately admirable... but I'm going to be totally honest when I say that I hold him and his "ignoramus man-child" on-camera persona to be the exact opposite of what I strive for in my daily life. I don't think he'd consider that much of an insult.

Avatar image for endlessobsidian
EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No lol. I learned pretty early on in life that I didn't have a horseshoe up my ass.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

First time a giant bomb forum topic title has coexisted as a great premise for a horror film.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the hell is this OldDan/NuDan stuff I keep reading?

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By huser

@bisonhero said:

@blackblade500 said:

Yes, I kinda would like to start. Because once you look past his character that he plays, he is a person that has incredible drive, that tried really hard to accomplish want he wanted and got a shot in his chosen industry through blind luck. I am college student that could use some of what he has to keep me going and use some of that drive to push me where I know I belong and want to be (a job in media production). So yes I would love to be more like Dan

He has a good work ethic and all, but let's not pretend that Dan is any formula for success. There are thousands of bright young people working at Gamestops, with competent game writing skills, that will have trouble ever breaking into the game industry unless they similarly happen to get wildly lucky and have a shot at getting steady editorial work.

They came THIS close on a Danswers to getting to this point, but I think that was the one with Glaser. So the lesson was don't leave an out or safety net and drive yourself to your goal. On the one hand, it makes a certain amount of sense in a limited resources of time and effort kind of way. On the other hand, O'Dwyer got real close to saying there is probably a pile of people we DON'T hear about who did the same, that didn't work out, and didn't have anything to fall back on.

EDIT - And to answer the OP, not really. As an older person, the life of one Vinny Caravella is something I might find more worthy of emulation. Guy's no less accomplished in the field he seems to love, seems to be doing well outside of work, and doesn't delve into a trollish on screen persona.

buttle826

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By buttle826
@bisonhero said:

@blackblade500 said:

Yes, I kinda would like to start. Because once you look past his character that he plays, he is a person that has incredible drive, that tried really hard to accomplish want he wanted and got a shot in his chosen industry through blind luck. I am college student that could use some of what he has to keep me going and use some of that drive to push me where I know I belong and want to be (a job in media production). So yes I would love to be more like Dan

He has a good work ethic and all, but let's not pretend that Dan is any formula for success. There are thousands of bright young people working at Gamestops, with competent game writing skills, that will have trouble ever breaking into the game industry unless they similarly happen to get wildly lucky and have a shot at getting steady editorial work.

But that's not quite true, though, is it? The "blind luck" part, I mean.

The way Dan tells it, he applied to Game Informer (and other video game outlets) many, many times, and went out of his way to introduce himself to the Game Informer staff. He also wrote hundreds of game reviews for no pay to get experience. He even found a way to get into the Game Informer office to shoot a commercial.

That doesn't sound to me like "blind luck". It sounds to me like he worked his ass off, and created opportunities for success.

Not to say that he wasn't extremely lucky. He was, and hard work doesn't guarantee that you'll get what you want. But Dan works as a formula for success because for a lot of people the only way you even get an opportunity to be lucky is to work as hard as he does.

EDIT: And this is all not to mention the number of advantages he had outside of his work ethic. The fact that he's white, and a guy, and straight, etc. I just wanted to mention that I know those are all factors, and that the deck is inherently stacked against some people. I still stand by point, though.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I ask myself, what would Dan Ryckert do? then I do the EXACT opposite.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Goofyness aside, there is a lot about Dan that is really inspiring. He has made a lot happen for himself and he has gotten me to start facing and overcoming my anxiety and depression issues so I really credit him a lot.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#67  Edited By Sessh

I...what...no? I like Dan and respect his determination in getting the dream job he wanted/how he handles his axiety, but just...no.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 thatpinguino  Staff

This thread has run it's course. While this thread was probably started with good intentions, it's getting a bit too personal and negative for the forums. When in doubt, remember this part of the community rules.

Posting negative threads about staff members: All members of staff are receptive to valid, actionable criticism about site content. Threads intended to demean or insult staff members will be deleted, however.