User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By spoodie
mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Well that's just silly. The price, not the cauliflower steak.

I love making cauliflower steak.

Slice it, coat it with some olive oil and spices and bake it.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, never thought of cooking cauliflower in steak form. I'll have to give it a try.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Cauliflower is so delicious and versatile. Roast for finger food; puree as base for dairy free creamed spinach (or other creamed foods); puree and add to mac and cheese to thicken in a healthy way. It's very forgiving in taste and is imperceptible in most recipes when used for its texture.

Johnny_Sailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A fool and his money...

oopprraahh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@flashflood_29: I used it as a meat substitute in enchiladas and loved it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Umm, I don't get it. The link just goes to a twitter account that's protected. I hope that's not a bad sign.

To answer the question; I like cauliflower, so if someone cooked it to pretend it's a steak I would definitely give it a try.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Cauliflower is the worst vegetable. It has no real flavour and you need to add other things to it just to make it tolerable. Eating cauliflower is like eating crunchy paper.

GoodEyeClosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Umm, I don't get it. The link just goes to a twitter account that's protected. I hope that's not a bad sign.

To answer the question; I like cauliflower, so if someone cooked it to pretend it's a steak I would definitely give it a try.

It's not really a pretend steak, as the taste and texture are obviously very different. It's just a thick cut of cauliflower with some spices. Delicious, but not trying to be something it's not.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cauliflower is a global atrocity masquerading in Brocolli’s shoes.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it sort of hilarious that this has blown up so much, even if it is stupid to pay £2.50 for something you could pretty easily make 4 of yourself for £1.

Like, is it really any more ridiculous than buying, eg, carrot batons at £2.13/kg when loose carrots cost 60p/kg? That premium for convenience tradeoff isn't new. I'm not sure this is even the most ridiculous example of it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan said:

It's not really a pretend steak, as the taste and texture are obviously very different. It's just a thick cut of cauliflower with some spices. Delicious, but not trying to be something it's not.

Oh, I didn't mean that as a slight against the food or the people eating it. Sorry if it came off that way. It sounds really good steak or no steak.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yep, that's a really stupid twitter discussion. I occassionally like getting a taste of that drivel. Should be good for at least a year now.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By monkeyking1969

I like how advertising tries to sell us anything.

I remember the first Robin Williams comedy album, "Reality... What A Concept" (1979), he said, "…when I wanna blow a buck on a bottle of water, I buy Perrier!" I'm sure he would have something pithy to say about the Raw Water movement, my less pithy take is raw water is 'raw sewage' with a markup.

GoodEyeClosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodeyeclosed said:
@themanwithnoplan said:

Oh, I didn't mean that as a slight against the food or the people eating it. Sorry if it came off that way. It sounds really good steak or no steak.

Haha, no worries. Didn't come off that way at all! Now that I think of it, my post was pretty stupid and unnecessary, as hopefully nobody would think that a cauliflower steak would taste like or have a similar texture to a real steak. I guess, as a vegetarian, I just assume omnivores might assume anything with "steak" in the name would be an imitation beef steak, which is obviously not the case.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do enjoy some cabbage steak, even though I don't care for cabbage in other forms. Might have to give this a try.

It's silly to me to pay 3 times the cost for a fifth of an item, but there are plenty of people that have either little time or little knowledge of food prep whom have the means to pay for the convenience. Or maybe they just have a sharp enough knife that's actually dull and instead of making neat steaks, you end up with fleurettes all over the kitchen. It's more convenient to just buy precut things than spend the money on a good knife and learn how to maintain it.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Currently pretty obsessed with cauliflower, which as a former meticulously picky eater is perhaps the most shocking progression of my journey through eating yet! I'd love to try this; my current favorite food are some cauliflower "wings" in a thai sauce at the bar down the street.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had cauliflower steak one time at a restaurant with other roasted vegetables off the vegetarian menu, not bad, and I'll get buffalo cauliflower whenever I see it on a menu. You'll never confuse it for a boneless wing, but when fried or roasted and buffalo'd it is a pretty good imitation.

ElectricViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@nodima: Hell yeah, cauliflower nugs done up like wings are a dandy thing.

My personal go to for cauliflower is to take a whole damn head of it, mix together greek yogurt with cumin, cayenne and lime, lather that shit all over the top, and roast it for about 40 minutes. It's good enough to impress people coming over, and basically idiot proof to make.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Our Marks and Spencers moved out of the city. This is why they fail. Plus it's Tesco Town.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, someone's gotta pay the person who sliced and packaged the cauliflower steak.

Also, roasted cauliflower is the best! Can't say I've sliced it as a steak.... yet.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By mike

If a Cauliflower Steak is just a seasoned and cooked slice of cauliflower, if you sliced and seasoned a carrot would those become little Carrot Steaks?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Cauliflower is absolute garbage, but I had some cauliflower tempura recently and it was actually ok.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stupid hippies, screwing everything up.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I dream of the day where I finally get to not see the cauliflower steak thread.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like cauliflower just fine. As a side dish.

I clicked this thinking it was going to be some kind of tasty beef steak with cauliflower recipe. So much disappointment.