User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By hwarang

www.gamerpocket.com 
Here is the summary:  
- It's a peer-to-peer service  
- No membership fees, you pay per rental 
- Game owners get $5 for each rented game 
- Each game rental is $7.50 for 30 days 

Let me know what you think, and please sign up for the beta if you're interested.  

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bravetoaster

$7.50 for each game? 

Fuck that shit.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

I don't want to be a downer, but have you contacted Whiskey Media about this? The Giant Bomb API terms of use state that you need Whiskey Media's permission if you're going to do anything commercial with it.

hwarang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hwarang
@LordAndrew said:
" I don't want to be a downer, but have you contacted Whiskey Media about this? The Giant Bomb API terms of use state that you need Whiskey Media's permission if you're going to do anything commercial with it. "
Of course I did. 
hwarang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hwarang
@Axxol said:
" $7.50 for each game?  Fuck that shit. "
Please elaborate. Too expensive? How many games per month do you rent from GameFly? 
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jimbo

Doesn't every retail game box say that rental is strictly prohibited?  I'm surprised Giant Bomb wants anything to do with this.

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bravetoaster
@hwarang: I rent 2 at a time and I've never had a game for 30 days. I rent 4-6 games a month (PS3, 360, DS, PSP).
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LordAndrew
@hwarang said:
" @LordAndrew said:
" I don't want to be a downer, but have you contacted Whiskey Media about this? The Giant Bomb API terms of use state that you need Whiskey Media's permission if you're going to do anything commercial with it. "
Of course I did.  "
Okay, cool. :)
hwarang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hwarang
@Jimbo said:
" Doesn't every retail game box say that rental is strictly prohibited?  I'm surprised Giant Bomb wants anything to do with this. "
GiantBomb has nothing to do with this. Our company just uses the API. If the a box says it's prohibited it doesn't necessarily make it illegal. Customers have their own rights after they purchase something.  Here is some info on what's called the First Sale Doctrine. It's not a very simple issue though. 
hwarang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hwarang
@Axxol said:
" @hwarang: I rent 2 at a time and I've never had a game for 30 days. I rent 4-6 games a month (PS3, 360, DS, PSP). "  
So you are a pretty high end renter. This is probably not for you. But say if you are on a 1-game plan and you only rent a couple games a month (which I used to do),  $7.50 is pretty reasonable.  
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

I was completely confused until I went to the home site.  It'd probably be better to link the home page, as it made me understand things far easier. 

http://www.gamerpocket.com/index.php

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

I will point out one problem in your ToU section.  You point out that if a renter's game is damaged upon return, they need to contact you within seven days, and that you guys will handle the claim for resolution.  You then later say that GamerPocket cannot be held responsible for damages.  If you are not to be held responsible for damages, then you cannot legally handle any claims of damage.  Otherwise, you CAN be sued if someone doesn't feel that their claim hasn't been handled properly. 

Moreover, what does "damaged" mean?  I mean, personally, I want my games to be as scratchless as possible.  If someone is renting my game for 30 days, then it's definitely going to get scratched up.  Moreover, as I've seen with most renting services, discs get pretty fucked up. 

You also point out that there is a monthly usage charge somewhere in all of that, yet on your front page say "no monthly fees".  I'm not understanding how that works.

hwarang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hwarang
@jakob187:  
Thanks for pointing that out. We will handle damages of the discs themselves but we we are not liable for any other damages. Damage means that there is some significant damage that affects game play or can be reasonably expected to affect game play. Having said that, there will probably be normal "wear and tear" which is what you are being compensated for (i.e. $5 rental). This service is probably not suitable for a game "collector" - i.e. someone who likes to keep their games on the shelf, preferably in a sealed box - but or someone who wants a return on the investment without selling the game. The way we compensate a damaged disc is by purchasing a game in a similar condition for the user in question.  

Regarding the monthly fee - there is no membership fee, but if you rent a game you can only keep it for 30 days. If you keep it longer you get charged for the next 30 days and the owner receives the second commission. However, we generally do not tolerate members who continuously keep games for longer than 30 days. In our view, 30 days is enough to complete a game and it should be returned to the owner. Of course these conditions will be modified based on the feedback from the members. 
hwarang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hwarang
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LordAndrew
Kato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kato

This is a great idea and I'm excited to start using it, but I've got to bring up a point: 

Registration was pretty simple, but I went to search for the first game I was willing to rent out (LittleBigPlanet) and was immedately confused by "Add to List," "Rent," and "Submit." To me, adding it to the list would definitely mean that i own it. Submitting it makes sense as well but that's not what I thought at first. Why is there a "List" separate of what you've rented and what you've submitted? I don't see the need for it and it's very confusing.

hwarang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hwarang
@Kato: Thanks Kato. We definitely heard this from several users. At one point we wanted to have the "Add to List" feature in case somebody wants to rent games automatically like you would in GameFly. We see there is no need for it and we will probably get rid of it. I appreciate the feedback.  
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By benjaebe

$7.50 per game to rent or $5 dollars for renting your game for "about 30 days." I don't know, that sounds kind of steep to me and there's not much incentive for people to rent their games in the first place. $5 dollars a month is jack in comparison to a $60 retail cost for a new game.

yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By yorick
@hwarang:
You spelled "independent" incorrectly as "independant" under "Our Mission." I just thought you would like to know =)
Kato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kato
@benjaebe: What service is $5 a month? GameFly damn sure isn't.
yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By yorick
@Kato:
He is referring to receiving 5 dollars for renting your game out to this service.
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By benjaebe
@Kato said:
" @benjaebe: What service is $5 a month? GameFly damn sure isn't. "
There isn't a service that's five dollars a month. They're saying that they'll give you $5 dollars a month to rent your game, and that seems really goddamn low if you're planning on renting out new games or even older titles. You could get way more selling your game used.
hwarang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hwarang
@Yorick said:
" @hwarang:
You spelled "independent" incorrectly as "independant" under "Our Mission." I just thought you would like to know =) "
Well that's embarrassing. Thanks for pointing that out.
yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By yorick
@hwarang:
No problem
hwarang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hwarang
@benjaebe said:
" @Kato said:
" @benjaebe: What service is $5 a month? GameFly damn sure isn't. "
There isn't a service that's five dollars a month. They're saying that they'll give you $5 dollars a month to rent your game, and that seems really goddamn low if you're planning on renting out new games or even older titles. You could get way more selling your game used. "
Fair enough, but that depends on what you compare it to. Our service is specifically for people who want to continue to own their game collection and not sell the games. So if you compare to selling games - $5 is low.  But if you compare it to a game just sitting on your shelf, $5 is pretty good. This by no means is a money making scheme. It's just a little extra reason to keep your games and help you buy your next game at the same time. 
Notso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Notso

This idea is really intriguing to me. I like the concept assuming you have a the legalities taken care of, as it sounds like you do. Nevertheless, the payment system does seem worrisome to me. How much research have you done on how Netflix and Gamefly work? I would assume you have done a lot. (maybe you address this one your blog. I will take a look.) Anyway, one of the big reasons Netflix has thwamped companies like Blockbuster was because of the subscription service. Even if users end up paying more (because the game sits forgotten on the shelf or etc) they like the fact that a subscription: 

1) has a constant, consistent payment they can budget for 

2) allows them to get as many games as they want without additional cost (so, it makes it seem like they can save a lot of money that way, which they can; however, most don't save much if any)

It ends up being good for Netflix for many reasons, 2 of which being 

1) They can count on those subscriptions and better project what their revenues will be in coming months, allowing them to get a good gauge on how much they can expand or accelerate their business  

2) Users often end up forgetting the still have the game (or they are just to busy or lazy to send it back). Netflix ends up making their most money when users forget about the disc on their shelf because they are still getting the subscription money and don't have to pay any shipping or etc. Companies like Blockbuster can lose money when it sits on someone else's shelf because  

a) late fees drive users away (to subscription services) 

b) they don't have the disc on their shelves to rent to someone else 

So, I understand that a $7.50 per game charge seems nice because you don't pay more if you have a month where you rent less games. However, I really wonder if you can succeed with that model because of the reasons above detailing how subscription services have been the winners lately and "charge per rent" services seem to be dying (at least in terms of games and movies). 

I'd love to hear your thoughts if you can reply here or point me to a blog post.