Match Game from PSN API to Giant Bomb API

joekw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Basically, i've got some data from the PSN API (game title, game platform, trophy progress, that's pretty much it) and i'd like to grab the corresponding meta data (genre, release date, etc) from giant bomb but i'm struggling to think of a way to do this. Is there something i'm missing here or is the only way to search on the PSN game title and just assume the first result is correct? Maybe with a button 'This data is incorrect' which grabs the 2nd result...

pacMakaveli90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pacMakaveli90

Unfortunately there's nothing out of the box that'll do that for you.

Before I started using ElasticSearch which has it's own matching algorithm, and with pretty good results might I add!, I used the Levenshtein Algorithm which measures the distance between two strings ( names ) .

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16323571/measure-the-distance-between-two-strings-with-ruby

( Ruby is my language of choice )

Now, this won't return very accurate results due to many games having the same name or very very similar. My experience with this has been with Destiny, the 1978 version (I think) and the 2015 one.

To bypass this issue, I also used to do, and still do with ES, if there are more than 2-3 results returned by my query with a very similar score, pass the release date or any other attribute (platform) that might help me in reducing the number of results.

It's not perfect, but without human interaction this method helps me in matching my games pretty good!