Can I have a new API key generated?

Calvinball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For years, the API page has reported weird results for my API usage. It reports a crazy high number that never (or very rarely) resets, and says my "request rate is fine" despite that.

No Caption Provided

I have reported this previously, but it was never that big a deal because I was never actually blocked from using the API. But as of today, all my API requests are now returning a "Rate limit exceeded" error. I only use the API to make a request to the /chats endpoint every two minutes. That should be 30 requests per hour, well below rate limits.

Would it be possible to have a new API key generated for my account? I am hoping that would fix the strange API key behavior I have been experiencing for years now.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dtoast  Staff

@calvinball: Hey there, I pinged the engineering team about this and will follow up with you.

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dtoast  Staff

@calvinball: Hey there, the engineering team is asking for your API key.

Calvinball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Calvinball

@dtoast: Hi dtoast, thanks for your help. My API key is *redacted now that issue is fixed*

__david__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi, I'm also noticing that my API key is getting constantly rate limited. My app hits the /videos endpoint once every 15 minutes or so. It seems like the API number that's reported is cumulative forever—mine says:

You have used 946 requests in the last hour for API Path '/videos' ...a tad bit gluttonous don't you think? (reset in -0 minutes)

Your request rate is fine

I've had the key since 2016 so the number is pretty low, considering. I'm not sure why it's being rate limited…

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Hi, I'm also noticing that my API key is getting constantly rate limited. My app hits the /videos endpoint once every 15 minutes or so. It seems like the API number that's reported is cumulative forever—mine says:

You have used 946 requests in the last hour for API Path '/videos' ...a tad bit gluttonous don't you think? (reset in -0 minutes)

I've had the key since 2016 so the number is pretty low, considering. I'm not sure why it's being rate limited…

I can ping @dtoast to look at this for you.

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dtoast  Staff

@calvinball: When did the key last work for you? The specific day if possible please.

Calvinball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dtoast: Pretty sure it last worked for me on 2024-01-23. I can tell you that the last video to play on GB Infinite while the API worked for me is 2016 - Jason & Fam. So if you have GB Infinite video history logs that should narrow it down pretty good.

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dtoast  Staff

Thanks, sent this to the engineering manager

peteace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By peteace

Did they change the rate limits in the last week or so @dtoast ? Now they're set at around 200 requests per hour per endpoint. My app pulls in changes to the database every 8 hours and caches it all, but if there's a decent amount of changes, I get rate limited on the /releases endpoint. My app hasn't been able to complete an update in about 5 days it looks like.

__david__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FWIW, I've disabled my app since the rate-limiting started and I've been running one single test request per day and they've all returned a rate limit response. Here's today's:

$ curl -i 'https://www.giantbomb.com/api/videos/?api_key=<my-api-key>&format=json&limit=1'

HTTP/2 420

content-type: application/json; charset=utf-8

cache-control: no-cache, private

set-cookie: sptg=%5B%5D; expires=Tue, 13-Feb-2024 17:41:52 GMT; Max-Age=1209600; path=/; httponly

set-cookie: device_view=full; expires=Fri, 01-Mar-2024 17:41:52 GMT; Max-Age=2678400; path=/; httponly

date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:41:52 GMT

x-timer: S1706636513.639091,VS0,VE281

accept-ranges: bytes

vary: Accept-Encoding, User-Agent

referrer-policy: no-referrer-when-downgrade

strict-transport-security: max-age=63072000; includeSubDomains; preload

content-length: 158

{"error":"Rate limit exceeded. Slow down cowboy.","limit":0,"offset":0,"number_of_page_results":0,"number_of_total_results":0,"status_code":107,"results":[]}

Some more info from looking at my cron logs:

The last working run was at 2024-01-24T02:00:02.073-08:00

It started failing for me at 2024-01-24T02:15:01.479-08:00

Calvinball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow, so it's not just me that is having issues? Thanks for providing further details!

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dtoast  Staff
dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dtoast  Staff

@calvinball: They can't seem to find any logs for that key but are investigating.

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dtoast  Staff

Just as an update, they're still looking into this. But I'll mention it again in-case.

Calvinball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for the update.

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dtoast  Staff

Just heard back from the engineering manager and this should be fixed now.

__david__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can confirm that my API key is working again. The API key page now says

You have used 2 requests in the last hour for API Path '/videos' (reset in 60 minutes)

Thanks!

Calvinball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you so much! I can also confirm my API key is working again. Great work by the engineers!

__david__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there might have been a regression: my API key is now acting up again. I'm getting the exact same symptoms: 420 http code on api endpoints and an ever increasing number on my /api page:

You have used 560 requests in the last hour for API Path '/videos' ...a tad bit gluttonous don't you think? (reset in -0 minutes)