Cache Giant Bomb Data in own database then monetize app?

ethanny2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If I cache the game data from the Giant Bomb site could I potentially monetize my app? (Amazon referral Links?) I thought it was off the tables but I have heard of a lot of mobile apps with ads, paid versions etc... using multiple APIs include GB's..

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

You should contact @rorie about this by PM or sending an email to support@giantbomb.com. I believe the rules regarding commercial use have been relaxed slightly, but it may depend on exactly how you plan to monetize your app. You should definitely check in before you do anything so that you make sure you don't have to wrangle with CBSi corporate lawyers.

I will say though that regardless of the monetization, you should cache the data that you use to reduce API calls and avoid issues due to rate limits.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By damnboyadvance

Straight from the API page:

"You can make some great things with our API, but unfortunately money isn't one of them. The API is strictly for non-commercial use only. Commercial use will result in your API key being revoked."

I'm guessing the answer is no.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4 chaser324  Moderator

@damnboyadvance: That page is a bit outdated. They're slightly more relaxed about it now in some cases. You can't do anything like selling access to the data of course but some less obtrusive monetization may be allowed.

Check with the staff for details as it pertains to your specific situation.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ethanny2 said:

If I cache the game data from the Giant Bomb site could I potentially monetize my app? (Amazon referral Links?) I thought it was off the tables but I have heard of a lot of mobile apps with ads, paid versions etc... using multiple APIs include GB's..

I'm more interested in knowing what other places us GB's API I've always wondered this.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ethanny2 said:

I'm more interested in knowing what other places us GB's API I've always wondered this.

The Android app I use to catalog my physical and digital game purchases uses it. A few updates ago they added a couple of more publicly editable and unmoderated sources, but GB was the sole database hook for a long time.

subkamran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've asked about Amazon referral links and I was told that would be okay. However, offering a subscription, ads, pay-for-access stuff, that's not allowed still.

ethanny2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've asked about Amazon referral links and I was told that would be okay. However, offering a subscription, ads, pay-for-access stuff, that's not allowed still.

Thanks! I messaged the people in charge to ask just in case.