Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 07, 2008

The original Fire Emblem is remade and released for territories outside Japan with enhanced graphics, updated gameplay, and Wi-Fi Connectivity.

My First Fire Emblem

• 63 results
    Avatar image for fire_marshall_bill
    Fire_Marshall_Bill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

never played fire emblem, but i always liken it to the first two Shining Force games

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's similar, the combat is better (but not better than in Shining Force 3 imo) and they don't have any wandering around JRPG style, it's all combat and then dialogue scenes and more combat, though in the middle of combat you can visit shops, talk to some NPCs, and cause other interactions actually, so it's not quite as limited as say Final Fantasy Tactics (which I love also, but it's one of those complex games, not like FE or SF).

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#53  Edited By LordAndrew
    Media_Master said:
    "I guess thats good, but I cannot stand to spend my free time managing "stats" and watch the same battle animations over and over."
    Battle animations can be turned off, but then there isn't much to look at.
    Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Navster

I only played the first Fire Emblem game for the GBA. After that I wouldn't touch the series with a ten foot pole. It is waaay to hardcore for me. Like Brad, I too had the perfectionist tendency to save all my units and that drove me up the wall. I ended up finding a step-by-step strategy guide that helped preserve quite a few of my guys, but I was still losing lower level foot soldiers with uncomfortable regularity. All I can say is that this world is divided into two types of people: the ones that love Fire Emblem and the ones that fear it. I am sad to say I am one of the latter.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Milkman

I put a huge amount of time into the original U.S. release on the GBA but I haven't touched another since.

heavymtlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By heavymtlhead

I also played a lot of the Fire Emblem GBA game and really enjoyed it. I would love to play this one two as soon as I man up and buy a DS.

kardon16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By kardon16

i hope this is as good or better than the first fire emblem gba title, i had a great time playing it

Avatar image for lightwarrior179
    lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By lightwarrior179

I haven't gotten into the Fire Emblem series but I am interested in getting it someday as strategy-RPGs are interesting to play now and then.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#59  Edited By LordAndrew
    kardon16 said:
    "i hope this is as good or better than the first fire emblem gba title, i had a great time playing it"
    I'm not going in expecting a better experience, because I would be surely disappointed. You have to remember that this a remake of the first game in the series, which was released on the Famicom (NES).
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Al3xand3r

Indeed, in fact I think it would be a bad move to even try and add new features or greatly improve it over previously released FE games. This particular title, as the first in the franchise, might very well get newcomers to the game, and they may want the story sequels afterwards. I can imagine they'd be disappointed with lesser games than this one if it was so vastly improved. On the other hand, this is still an improvement over the original version bringing it closer to the quality of the sequels for people who wanted to play that.

jasonlblair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#61  Edited By jasonlblair

Thank you for this article, Brad. I've been interested in Fire Emblem for about a year but didn't know where to jump in or if it was really possible without being buried by the compounded complexity that a long-running series can accumulate over a few titles. I'm horrible at strategy games but continue to play them (see also: Advance Wars and StarCraft) and Fire Emblem seems like a fine addition to my library.

Avatar image for hypotheticalsolution76
    HypotheticalSolution76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

My first Fire Emblem is/was Path of Radiance on the GCN. Present tense because I'm playing it right now, and past tense because I bought the game a few years ago. Because I get caught up in other games/phases or what-have-you, I never got around to finishing it. And so when I decided to try it again, of course I had no idea where I was in the story, and I had this nagging feeling that somebody died that I really wanted to keep. But starting over was not a difficult process, and the game didn't feel like a curse to try and start over. Or bore me to tears.

Most likely once I'm done with PoR, I will pick up Shadow Dragon. I have begun to like the series for that punishing move that takes away your dead character for good. True though, I may not finish the game in any kind of record time, but finding the links between characters and having the option to use them in battle seem like a better course of action. I definitely have the desire to finish without anybody permanently dying.

So Brad, as a fellow newcomer to the Fire Emblem series, albeit by a few years but still the same number of titles, welcome to the club. I don't think your experience with the series will waver, and after playing many other titles that require split-second timing and fast reflexes, it's nice to have a game that rewards you for some strategy by sitting back and thinking about the next move. I applaud you on your decision, and I hope it works out for you.

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63  Edited By vendetta

I'm waaayyyy late to this, but my suggestion is to get into the series with Path of Radiance for Gamecube. That game is a bit more forgiving and a bit easier to manage than any of the other North American games.

rogue_agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By rogue_agent

I think Brad should play Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword after you've finished with Shadow Dragon.

Fire Emblem had amazing character development, powerful story and an engaging musical score. It also had what I feel was one of the best modes ever: HECTOR HARD MODE - countless hours can be lost while playing that.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65  Edited By Kohe321

I remember this article. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.