Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy

Franchise »

Final Fantasy is Square Enix's most famous and successful franchise and has been going for more than 35 years. With the impending release of Final Fantasy XVI, there are sixteen numbered mainline games, with dozens of spin-offs.

What's the deal with Phoenix Down?

• 54 results
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

"Ohhhhhhh! Down....?!"

God, I still remember listening to this podcast and I was laughing so hard. Not at Jeff for not knowing, but the stark realization of it.

Avatar image for bernard_bernoulli
    Bernard_Bernoulli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"Down" isn't a common enough word for it to be immediately recognizable as a tuft of bird plumage.

Also, what the hell is a "Buster" Sword? A Turbo Ether? Atomic Scissors? Materia? A Soft? FFVII is filled with things that don't make sense or at least are strange uses of terms we don't normally come across. Phoenix Down, as it turns out, is one of the more straight-forward uses of language in the entire series. That's probably why most people don't notice.

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bernard_bernoulli: This has been a common word for the US since probably the early 70's. Buying a pillow, a comforter, any fluffy bed clothes - what down is it and later is it synthethic.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@superkenon said:

Growing up, I never heard anyone say "down" when referring to plumage, so my mind didn't immediately make that connection when introduced to that item. Just wrote it off as random nonsense like 75% of most item names were in that era. Then I just stopped thinking about it until the item iconography made it overt enough to refresh my conclusion.

So no down jackets? No down pillows? Down comforter? My father has a goose feather pillow, which was referred to in my house as as a 'down pillow'. But even knowing what 'down' was on fowl, I never made the connection. The English language is weird because it has so many 'true homonyms' (spelled and pronounced the same, but have different meanings.)

Yeah, 'down pillows' were just 'pillows' around my parts. Down comforters? Comforters. 'Down comforter' I might've heard at my grandmother's or something, but never with the context of "IT'S CALLED THIS BECAUSE IT HAS FEATHERS IN IT." Basically, I wasn't ever told or taught that 'down' could have that meaning until I eventually absorbed the knowledge somewhere in my teen years.

And I'm still not even sure how that happened. It just never comes up!

Avatar image for bernard_bernoulli
    Bernard_Bernoulli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cid798 said:

@bernard_bernoulli: This has been a common word for the US since probably the early 70's. Buying a pillow, a comforter, any fluffy bed clothes - what down is it and later is it synthethic.

It's mostly all "synthethic." It was probably a common word in the area you lived when you were growing up. Not so most places.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ohhhh... Damn what a beautiful thread.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.