Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 30, 1997

A critically acclaimed role-playing game developed by Black Isle Studios and Tim Cain in 1997, Fallout established itself as a prominent post-apocalyptic universe with a dark sense of humor.

Fallout and playing old games on fancy new computers.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

Seeing as I have a quad core computer, Windows Vista, a 1920 by 1080 monitor and this is a game from the mid 90's, Im kinda having crazy issues with trying to make Fallout work. The screen goes black sometimes and when i move my cursor the screen begins to reappear but only in the area of my cursor.  Theres a post about color issues on vista for this game but im not sure thats what im having issues with so I don't know if thats what I need to try and fix

So im wondering what I'm supposed to do. I think I need DOSbox to throttle my CPU, but I'd like to be sure thats what I need to get. If anyone could tell me what to do, i'd love some help.    
    Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Tasus

Some old games cant run on newer systems, so yeah, DOSBox would be my guess.

gexecuter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By gexecuter

Fallout runs fine without DOSBOX, at least on the Windows XP machine i have. Have you tried the gog version? those guys do some stuff to make old games playable on modern systems.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fallen189

Run it in compatability mode, with 256 colours, or look for a fan patch.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By tmthomsen
    @gexecuter said:
    "  Fallout runs fine without DOSBOX, at least on the Windows XP machine i have. Have you tried the gog version? those guys do some stuff to make old games playable on modern systems. "
    GoG.com games are emulated through DOSBOX.
    ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ectoplasma

I bought mine on GOG and it runs fine. With old games like these its much less of an hassle if you just buy a version from steam or GOG instead of downloading it / getting our dusty old cd out of the drawer.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Tennmuerti

I would dual boot WinXP.
    But that's just me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.