Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Emulation

Concept »

Emulation is the means by which games intended for one platform are rendered playable on another. Emulation is used for various purposes, ranging from allowing older games to be playable on newer hardware to software development for various platforms.

ThinkGeek's Pocket Retro Game Emulator, Someone talk me out of it

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By toowalrus

I kinda have a love/hate thing going on with Think Geek. I bought something from them at one point, and now I can't seem to remember what it is, but ever since, I've been getting advertising fliers from them in the mail. And the thing I hate about it is, I look through them, and constantly say to myself "dude, I need that." While these temptations are extremely cool (like a green laser pointer so powerful that it's illegal in some states, because it can blind a pilot if pointed at the sky) I've been able to avoid making too many dumb purchases from them. However, this time they may have gone too far...

THIS is a device, similar to a GBA Micro. However, it doesn't have a cartridge slot. Instead, it's got 4GB of internal memory, an SD card slot, and built-in emulation software. It can play NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA and Neo Geo roms*. (You know, your legal backups of games you own.) Why would I want one? Well, for one, I've got a buddy who's still yet to play Super Mario World, there are some crazy Japanese games I've always wanted to play (but not on a keyboard or Xbox controller), and I've always wanted a perfect version of Super Mario 3 to carry around with me (I've got a long plane ride coming up...)

Anyway, this device is going to drain $100 bucks from my pocket, but I think it's going to be well worth it. A perfectly emulated,well controlled, portable NES/SNES/Whatever is something I've always wanted...  

EDIT: If Nintendo would give it's customers their DSi virtual console, I wouldn't have to give my business to someone else.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pazy

That sounds like one of the best things ever! I tend to use DS+FlaIsh Cart (side note, legal says France!) for this sort of stuff but it only es up go Snes/Mega Drive, no GBA or NeoGeo (cept pocket) sadly.  After christmas im totally looking into this.

Avatar image for fancifulunicorn
    fancifulunicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheMustacheHero

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

Now that's something I want for Christmas. I know you can get emulators for the DS and PSP but not very polished from what I seen. Besides, this is pretty retro.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hot_Karl
    @TooWalrus: 

I looked at this yesterday; Destructoid is running a contest where you can win one of these.

Although it is a little shady (because you'll definitely be tempted to download roms of games you don't own), I think it's pretty awesome just to have a system capable of playing those games. You can rig up something if you want to get a Flash Card for your DS or if you want to hack your PSP, but otherwise this might be worth the price.

I say, it's almost Christmas time, and you deserve to get yourself something nice!
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By toowalrus
    @fancifulunicorn: I'm not going down that route. I honestly don't condone piracy, especially of new games that are still making Nintendo money. I've got a NES/SNES/ Genesis collection dozens of carts deep, most everything I would want to play again would be the carts stashed in boxes away in my garage.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @TooWalrus said:

" I kinda have a love/hate thing going on with Think Geek. I bought something from them at one point, and now I can't seem to remember what it is, but ever since, I've been getting advertising fliers from them in the mail. And the thing I hate about it is, I look through them, and constantly say to myself "dude, I need that." While these temptations are extremely cool (like a green laser pointer so powerful that it's illegal in some states, because it can blind a pilot if pointed at the sky) I've been able to avoid making too many dumb purchases from them. However, this time they may have gone too far...

THIS is a device, similar to a GBA Micro. However, it doesn't have a cartridge slot. Instead, it's got 4GB of internal memory, an SD card slot, and built-in emulation software. It can play NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA and Neo Geo roms*. (You know, your legal backups of games you own.) Why would I want one? Well, for one, I've got a buddy who's still yet to play Super Mario World, there are some crazy Japanese games I've always wanted to play (but not on a keyboard or Xbox controller), and I've always wanted a perfect version of Super Mario 3 to carry around with me (I've got a long plane ride coming up...)

Anyway, this device is going to drain $100 bucks from my pocket, but I think it's going to be well worth it. A perfectly emulated,well controlled, portable NES/SNES/Whatever is something I've always wanted...  

EDIT: If Nintendo would give it's customers their DSi virtual console, I wouldn't have to give my business to someone else.

"
    That is really cool . Nintendo should probably get on this idea .
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By TheHBK
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By toowalrus
    @TheMustacheHero: That's unfortunate...  but I suppose I should thank you for bringing it's flaws to my attention.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @TooWalrus said:
    " @TheMustacheHero: That's unfortunate...  but I suppose I should thank you for bringing it's flaws to my attention. "
    No problem.  I remember watching that video a while back and when I saw this I was like "Oh snap!" and had to dig it up again.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond

I got the idea of buying a portable device for emulation before, bought PDAs.  It's always a mistake IMO.

The SNES emulation seems really bad.  Makes me wonder how many other games aren't emulated well (probably tons).  Display resolution should also be considered, as handheld devices rarely scale well at all.

Avatar image for fancifulunicorn
    fancifulunicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fancifulunicorn
    @TooWalrus:
    Yes, piracy is bad.  This device you're showing, however, has the potential to pirate games just as well as any card for the ds.  In fact, I wonder how legal this thing is?  Surely Nintendo , Sega, and all the other companies didn't just let them sell all their games along with this device? 

I have a card for my ds so I can use homebrew and use a nifty little painting program that I like a lot.  I was just suggesting something to you that's pretty cheap and could provide some great handheld fun.  Also, the snes emulation on that thinkgeek thing looks a little crummy, which is what I would be most concerned about.  It does look kinda neat, though.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rallier

Flash cart is the way to go as far as emulation is concerned really (For the DSi that is) The Iplayer for instance actually is capable of emulating GBA games thanks to some extra power in the cart itself. Plus there are emulators that you can put on it for every for about every home console:  http://filetrip.net/c95-Emulators-for-NDS.html  

This here is the "Iplayer" in action playing Super Mario World (gba)

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hot_Karl
    @Rallier: 

At the risk of sounding like a dumbass, I have to say this: I didn't know they made a flash cart that worked with the DSi!! I gotta get me one of those...uh, I mean I gotta go and not support this and only buy games. Legally. From Nintendo. Who puts out amazing games. All the time.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rallier
    @VinceNotVance: Do some research before you buy one, there are quite some out there and some have rahter impressive feutures like slowdown, speedup, instant saves, screenshots etc...

Antway i went and check if there were actually NeoGeo emulators for the DS and i stumbled upon a youtube video of someone demonstrating a new emulator that is still not perfect but runs a fair amount of games 

When you think of it it is odd that despite the DS being around for quite a long time there has not been a serious 2D fighting game on it.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Rallier: The PSP has a full speed flawless Neo Geo emulator. If you want handheld homebrew, go with the PSP.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @TheMustacheHero:  You beat me too it =/ Well atleast im not the only Ashens fan on here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.