Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2010

Concept »

The 2010 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 15-17.

E3 Thoughts

Avatar image for deactivated-57c23600813c8
    deactivated-57c23600813c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

With the electronic three finally coming to it's sad but inevitable end, I figured I would sputter out my belligerent ramblings as to what I thought was awesome.  Each of the big three had some great things to offer this year. Grades seem like a nice, however inflexible, way to give my thoughts on how each company did individually, while also pointing out what my highlights of each were.  

Nintendo 
    First off, holy shit. I had no expectations coming into this year for Nintendo, they had disappointed me continually in years past and I had no reason to hope for otherwise. There was one focus in this conference, games. Nintendo pulled out a handful of awesome looking titles for the Wii to excite the hardcore. Then the 3DS came out, and it worked. Not only did it work well, but  there was a massive amount of games announced for it. Once again proving that software drives hardware, Nintendo knocked me out with all of the awesome 3DS demos and first party Wii games. 

GRADE: A 
    Three Highlights:  
    #1) 3DS (Including the shit ton of games announced for it.)   

No Caption Provided

#2) Kirby and DK  
    No Caption Provided

#3) The legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Expected, but still awesome.)  
    No Caption Provided

Sony 
     While Sony seemed to lack a bit of direction or focus in particular areas, I still throughly enjoyed what they had to show. I do feel there conference would have been more well received had they kept infamous 2, LBP2 and killzone 3 secret, but thats just me. I appreciate that they didn't dwell on move or 3D for two long, and really tried to cycle through a lot of games in a short period of time. All of the aforementioned games looked awesome, couple those with a new twisted metal and I am quite the happy camper as far as Sony goes. However, I would have liked to have seen what insomniac/naughty dog are working on as well as the last guardian.  

GRADE: B 
    Three Highlights:  
    #1) Twisted Metal  
    No Caption Provided

#2) LittleBigPlanet 2 
    He's got the whole world in his hands

#3) Killzone 3

Microsoft

If I hadn't known any better, I would have thought I was watching last years Nintendo conference. While kinect seemed to work decently well, it just didn't seem to have the software that would peak my interest.  Halo Reach looks fun, but just feels a bit dated at this point. Gears 3 was easily the highlight of the show for me, as it showed a real conscientious effort to change things within the franchise to make it feel fresh. Overall, I felt they focused way too much on the casual market, that of which I don't think this will reach, and almost completely ignored their best consumer. 

GRADE: C 
    Three Highlights: 
    #1) Gears of War 3 
    No Caption Provided

#2) Halo: Reach  
    No Caption Provided

#3) Codename: Kingdom (It was hard to find a third thing that was interesting) 
    No Caption Provided

Exciting Multiplatform Games

#1) Dead Space 2  
    No Caption Provided

#2) Portal 2 
    No Caption Provided

#3) Mortal Kombat  
    No Caption Provided

This year's E3 was great for gamers; Nintendo came out throwing hay-makers to reassert their foot in the core gaming realm, Sony had a few uppercuts to throw in while also missing a few punches, and then Microsoft, well they seemed to lack direction and got their neck broken like Hillary Swank in Million Dollar Baby. But at the end of the day, all of the stellar multiplatform titles gave all of us something to be happy about.

Can I get a w00t w00t for mortal kombat!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the electronic three finally coming to it's sad but inevitable end, I figured I would sputter out my belligerent ramblings as to what I thought was awesome.  Each of the big three had some great things to offer this year. Grades seem like a nice, however inflexible, way to give my thoughts on how each company did individually, while also pointing out what my highlights of each were.  

Nintendo 
    First off, holy shit. I had no expectations coming into this year for Nintendo, they had disappointed me continually in years past and I had no reason to hope for otherwise. There was one focus in this conference, games. Nintendo pulled out a handful of awesome looking titles for the Wii to excite the hardcore. Then the 3DS came out, and it worked. Not only did it work well, but  there was a massive amount of games announced for it. Once again proving that software drives hardware, Nintendo knocked me out with all of the awesome 3DS demos and first party Wii games. 

GRADE: A 
    Three Highlights:  
    #1) 3DS (Including the shit ton of games announced for it.)   

No Caption Provided

#2) Kirby and DK  
    No Caption Provided

#3) The legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Expected, but still awesome.)  
    No Caption Provided

Sony 
     While Sony seemed to lack a bit of direction or focus in particular areas, I still throughly enjoyed what they had to show. I do feel there conference would have been more well received had they kept infamous 2, LBP2 and killzone 3 secret, but thats just me. I appreciate that they didn't dwell on move or 3D for two long, and really tried to cycle through a lot of games in a short period of time. All of the aforementioned games looked awesome, couple those with a new twisted metal and I am quite the happy camper as far as Sony goes. However, I would have liked to have seen what insomniac/naughty dog are working on as well as the last guardian.  

GRADE: B 
    Three Highlights:  
    #1) Twisted Metal  
    No Caption Provided

#2) LittleBigPlanet 2 

#3) Killzone 3

Microsoft

If I hadn't known any better, I would have thought I was watching last years Nintendo conference. While kinect seemed to work decently well, it just didn't seem to have the software that would peak my interest.  Halo Reach looks fun, but just feels a bit dated at this point. Gears 3 was easily the highlight of the show for me, as it showed a real conscientious effort to change things within the franchise to make it feel fresh. Overall, I felt they focused way too much on the casual market, that of which I don't think this will reach, and almost completely ignored their best consumer. 

GRADE: C 
    Three Highlights: 
    #1) Gears of War 3 
    No Caption Provided

#2) Halo: Reach  
    No Caption Provided

#3) Codename: Kingdom (It was hard to find a third thing that was interesting) 
    No Caption Provided

Exciting Multiplatform Games

#1) Dead Space 2  
    No Caption Provided

#2) Portal 2 
    No Caption Provided

#3) Mortal Kombat  
    No Caption Provided

This year's E3 was great for gamers; Nintendo came out throwing hay-makers to reassert their foot in the core gaming realm, Sony had a few uppercuts to throw in while also missing a few punches, and then Microsoft, well they seemed to lack direction and got their neck broken like Hillary Swank in Million Dollar Baby. But at the end of the day, all of the stellar multiplatform titles gave all of us something to be happy about.

Can I get a w00t w00t for mortal kombat!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

woot for no comments 

lulz

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SolemnOaf

I think that a person's opinion on this year's E3 is solely dependent on their ability to still get excitited about Nintendo games.  Nintendo had the only unknown quantities this year, it seems like.  Myself, I am no longer able to find the appeal in Nintendo's software and so for me this years E3 was the worst I had seen since I started following them in the first place, when the first Xbox was launched.  It was also the first year I actually said to myself "I wish I had gotten a PS3 instead".  This year's E3 was when the levee containing all the motion-controlled bullshit burst, and all I can think about is how grateful I am that just a few weeks ago I bailed on the console market.  An act that practically borders on precognition.   

I guess if you can be satisfied with having a bunch of old information regurgitated back at you, or tolerate the Wii as a videogame-capable machine, then my outlook must appear to be overly bleak to you.  Perhaps you think me tainted by fanboyism, whatever.  Everything I found interesting I already had known about, and to me this E3 was massively dissapointing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No man, those are some very valid points and I agree in some aspects. I also wish Nintendo had a more powerful system and were creating new IPs for it. I just took solace in the fact that they at least weren't shoving around shuffel-ware like the last few years lol. Lesser of two evils type deals lol. 

RBolduc625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RBolduc625

Sony tore it up!!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude
    @SolemnOaf said:
    "

I think that a person's opinion on this year's E3 is solely dependent on their ability to still get excitited about Nintendo games.  Nintendo had the only unknown quantities this year, it seems like.  Myself, I am no longer able to find the appeal in Nintendo's software and so for me this years E3 was the worst I had seen since I started following them in the first place, when the first Xbox was launched.  It was also the first year I actually said to myself "I wish I had gotten a PS3 instead".  This year's E3 was when the levee containing all the motion-controlled bullshit burst, and all I can think about is how grateful I am that just a few weeks ago I bailed on the console market.  An act that practically borders on precognition.   

I guess if you can be satisfied with having a bunch of old information regurgitated back at you, or tolerate the Wii as a videogame-capable machine, then my outlook must appear to be overly bleak to you.  Perhaps you think me tainted by fanboyism, whatever.  Everything I found interesting I already had known about, and to me this E3 was massively dissapointing.

"
    Damn, you're full of piss and vinegar. Video games of the future are going to pretty much suck huh? Video games can be played on many different platforms and on many different levels. So sad that your hobby has gone mainstream. Sucks ballz, but hey, maybe the hardcore can get a taste from the monies made.
    SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By SolemnOaf
    @Claude:
    Y'know I've spent time trying to think of a situation to compare this to.  I can't.  I can't think of another time in history that an industry has turned its back on its existing fanbase to try to attract the attention of another type of consumer.  Some people have an attitude of "the more the merrier" concerning the influx of casual games and gamers.  I'm not one of those people, sorry.  When watching Microsoft's conference this year, I couldn't help but get the impression that they've pretty much dropped their focus on creating or funding first-party studio games, and are going to rely on third party support to get them through the rest of this generation while they put all their own efforts into Kinect.  As somebody who has helped support Microsoft's venture into the console market almost from day one, I do not support this decision.  I feel neglected and betrayed. 

I also recognize the fact that if Kinect and Move are anywhere near as successful as the Wii, the videogame industry as I know and love it is dead.  Not in a bad place, not dealt a serious blow, fucking dead.  The software patterns that dominated the Wii's library for the first years of its release will be widespread across all platforms.  Developers will ignore gamer's games in favor of churning out crap for the casuals to consume.  It will be easier for them, less risky, and the market they will be able to reach will be much larger.  If suddently 90% of the videogame industry goes casual motion controls, then suddently 90% of games made don't interest me whatsoever.  Much the same way that 90% of Microsoft's conference this year did nothing but piss me off.  Basically, if you think that the success of Kinect or Move would be a good thing, you are not a true gamer.  If you can tolerate the companies you've been supporting for years abandoning you and your interests because they want to chase a different market, then congratulations.  I can't do it, I won't do it, and I can't do it.  If it doesn't cater to my interests, it might as well not exist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I totally get where you are coming from SolemnOaf, but I do think there was a lot of great things for the hardcore amidst the motion control bullshit. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.