Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Ball Xenoverse

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Feb 05, 2015

A fighting game for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC set in the Dragon Ball Z universe.

Dragonball Xenoverse Discussion

• 70 results
    Thatguy060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thatguy060

So I drunkenly bought this game the other day with having no idea what it was. I use to play the old fighting games when I was a kid so I guess my guess my drunken self really wanted too spirit bomb some fools. I had nooooo idea that this game was a Dragon ball z RPG with monster hunter and destiny influences. Holy shit is this game addicting, the whole premise is that someone is messing with the timeline and you have go through time fixing it. So you create a character by picking from 5 races and what specialty you are. Then you are hired by Trunks to become a FUCKING TIME COP, and go across time wrecking stuff. There is a hub area very much like destiny with shops, mentors for your character, and the different game mode lobbies. Speaking of mentors, you can pick what character you want too train under so naturally I picked Vegeta, and now I have him screaming at me every time I finish a quest about how pathetic I am. The combat system is not a traditional fighting game system and has more in common with an arena fighter, but it does a great job at making the fights feel like a Dragon ball Z fight. I'm really surprised by this game and was wondering if anyone else has been playing it. If so my PSN is nukem060 and I'm on the PS4; add me so we can grind for some loot.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I made a human named Cornetto because everyone is named for food or instruments or clothes in Dragon Ball so I wanted to fit in and I really wish the servers were better because it's always a challenge doing an online quest. I think it's kind of funny that you can farm quests for loot so it's like, hey let me run this quest until Goku drops the Kamehameha.

It's like the DBZ game you always wanted as a kid, where you get to be Original The Character and run around with DBZ characters and being better than they are. At least that's how it was with my childhood fantasies.

Thatguy060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Thatguy060

@donchipotle: What I've been using to get around the servers is that the hub servers are down but the parallel quest servers aren't so go into a single player hub and then go into quest matchmaking and you should be fine.....well it works for me at least.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow, that sounds great actually.

Does it actually play good? like how are the controls and stuff? is the PC version competent for anyone playing that?

Thatguy060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Thatguy060

@onarum: pretty much you've got light, heavy, and ranged attacks on the face buttons with varying combos involving all three. On the right trigger you bring up your ultimate skills which you can customize to fit the type of character your playing with the main types being melee, Ki, evasive, and transformation. if you hold down both triggers you bring up your super ultimate which is where all your most powerful moves are. Your character has 6 main stats which are Health, Stamina, Max Ki, Base attack, Melee ultimate, and Ki ultimate. You get attribute points every time you level up to be able to upgrade stats Fights can range from 1v1 too 3v3 and are really chaotic. for instance I was playing with two of my friends and we were fighting a great ape. one of my friends proceeded to grab the great ape's tail and fling him around like bowser in Mario 64 only to throw him in the air. While in the air my friend and I proceeded to launch Kamehamehas at him causing him to fly across the whole map, slam into a mountain and die. You get skills by running quests and completing secret objectives in each one. It can be a bit grindy but it hasn't been to bad so far.

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the game, I just wish it didn't have such an inane rng element to the drops. I spent hours replaying the same 30 second mission trying to get one particular item of clothing.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust

I hope Vinny and Alex (although Dan and Jeff would be good, too) do a Quick Look. I am kind of interested in this game the more I hear. It sounds kind of what I always wanted from a Naruto game which is basically Phantasy Star Online but with Naruto characters.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Has anyone noticed that the game looks super dark? Playing on ps4, menus and cinematics look fine, but actual gameplay looks like someone cranked the brightness waaaaaay down...

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatguy060: sounds good, i'll definetely get it at some point.

Thatguy060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@altonbrown: Yeah I've noticed that too, especially on namek

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Yeah this looks really fun actually. Waiting for a price drop but I'm excited to play it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wait so this game is like MH and Destiny? So what drops is it a mixture of moves and cosmetics?

Thatguy060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: Special attacks, cosmetics that give stat increases, dragon balls that if you collect them you can make a wish, and Z-souls which are kinda of like perks for your character.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apart from some wank servers and a few achievements not unlocking properly, I'm enjoying it so far. It's definitely more of an RPG than anything, which isn't a bad thing but the fighting is pretty simplistic.

I started my first playthrough as a Frieza Clansman despite them being the worst race to start off with. I kept losing to Frieza so I'm leveling up and learning some new attacks. It kind of goes without saying, but don't train under Krillin for too long. I wanted to learn the Destructo Disc and when I finally did, the move turned out to be complete shit. Apparently only the ultimate Destructo Disc barrage is the good one.

@onarum I think the PC version might honestly be the best one to get. It looks and plays just as good as the PS4/Xbox One versions, is $10 cheaper, no need to pay for PS+ or Gold to play online, and has much easier access to mods.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Corevi

I've been watching someone stream it playing as Captain Planet and this game is hilarious. There's no filter at all on character names, the poses are amazing and the voice acting is terrible.

Also the preorder bonus gold pants are astoundingly perfect.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MezZa

It's pretty fun. I do feel a little bit lost at times in figuring out some of the rpg side of things. I haven't played much but I don't feel like the game has explained much about some of the mechanics going on. Luckily its pretty straight forward in just telling you to do parallel and time missions, so I've just been doing that and seeing what happens along the way. Also some of it is hilariously bad in a good way.

xXCrazyCostaXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enjoying the hell out of this game. My buddy made lord voldemort and decided that special beam cannon is his avada kadavra

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How familiar do you need to be with Dragon Ball for this game? I've never seen any of the anime, read any of the manga, or even played any of the games. Only thing I've seem was the questionable Dragon Ball Evolution movie.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathtrap: You don't need to know it at all. It's even funnier if you don't. You will appreciate the AU scenarios more if you are a fan though.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: anything in particular I should watch? Seems to be quite a few Dragon Ball anime.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I had completely written this game off until I saw Team Fourstar do a Let's Play (Dumplin Is Love. Dumplin is Life.) of it and now I MUST have it in my life.

Seems like the perfect, mindless game to play while listening to a podcast or watching Rifftrax on another screen.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Corevi

@deathtrap: I've heard Kai is quite good but I dunno. DBZ as a whole is not great and there's a lot of it. There are a lot of shounen shows that are better animated, more entertaining and more concise.

xXCrazyCostaXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathtrap: dragon ball z. You can watch dragon ball if you want but this covers z. Gt is not important to this game besides a couple of costumes and characters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: anything in particular I should watch? Seems to be quite a few Dragon Ball anime.

Watch the original Dragon Ball. It's still one of the best shonen anime of all time. Dragon Ball Z is still a fun watch, though you may want to watch the Kai version if you've never seen it before since it cuts a lot of the fat. (It also doesn't have the vastly superior Bruce Falconer soundtrack, and it made some bad dubbing switches) I would avoid GT just because it's not canon, but it's really not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

If you just want to play Xenoverse, you could probably just not watch any of it. (Though you definitely should)

@undeadpool One of the voices you can choose for your custom character is actually one of the TFS dudes. It's pretty awesome.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really enjoying it so far. The fighting system is a bit simple but using a created character and the story built around the original story with some what-ifs is pretty great.

Metalman781

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I could stay connected for more than 15 minutes that would be awesome :)

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@deathtrap: I'm pretty sure most of these games were probably intended for Dragonball fans in mind. I personally think the game would be more fun if you came into it not knowing anything cause alot of the story stuff they take from the anime has been beaten to a pulp in the previous Fifteen Dimps Dragonball games. The one big difference is the game is technically an all new story line.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never would I have imagined myself spending 60 bones on a damn DBZ game, but all these positive impressions have pushed me over the edge. Sorry, Hardline.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@mustainium: yeah dude, everybody saying how good it is, and the fighting looks legitimately interesting. Can't wait to pick up my copy. Do we have a list/table of giantbomb users on the different plagforms. I'll be getting it for PC in a few days prolly!

Thatguy060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow: Yeah I was thinking aabout making a table but didn't know if should make a new thread or edit it on to here

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Anyone have the PC version? Wanted to know if the port is good. I'm bummed that the gameplay won't ever be as tight as it used to be in the Budokai games but I guess having the ability to play it as close to the actual anime is a decent compromise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone have the PC version? Wanted to know if the port is good. I'm bummed that the gameplay won't ever be as tight as it used to be in the Budokai games but I guess having the ability to play it as close to the actual anime is a decent compromise

It's a pretty good port. Some achievements are bugged and the servers are fucking trash (though that's probably true for all platforms) but it runs easily at 1080p 120+ fps on pretty much anything.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatguy060: i think it could warrant a new thread, sure.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Wait, what? I think this was going to be just like budokai. This sounds amazing?

Avatar image for deactivated-66361f5b4a584
    deactivated-66361f5b4a584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man this game so rad but holy crap that RNG, spent like 3 hours farming for a single z soul.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FYI ya'll, there's a new thread created to share which platform you're playing on and your ID!

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The game is pretty good but the difficulty is super uneaven, been stuck on the battle against Vegeta and Nappa for hours yet playing at my bros house i can have been able to easily get past battles following that one. Just takes a bit of getting used to i guess...still love how authentic it is to the show.

Thatguy060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So who's considered the best mentor. I just maxed out Vegeta and trying to figure out who to sign up with next

Scottjay01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Scottjay01

@thatguy060 said:

So who's considered the best mentor. I just maxed out Vegeta and trying to figure out who to sign up with next

I just finished freeza a few days ago the equip he gives you when you finish, is excellent imo.

I was hoping this would get a quick look. Finally a good dbz game comes out after the last flopped 3 and allot of the big sites don't review it :/

Thatguy060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scottjay01: It's not surprising, I mean I didn't even know it existed until I woke up hungover with it on my PS4

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scottjay01: It's not surprising, I mean I didn't even know it existed until I woke up hungover with it on my PS4

I want this marked in the history books. A drunken decision that was not regretted!

Thatguy060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@budwyzer: This just means I'm due for a lot of very regrettable decisions.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@thatguy060 said:

I just finished freeza a few days ago the equip he gives you when you finish, is excellent imo.

I was hoping this would get a quick look. Finally a good dbz game comes out after the last flopped 3 and allot of the big sites don't review it :/

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By kerse

I bought this game because I haven't bought one in a while and Final Fantasy Type 0 and Bloodborne aren't out so I needed something to do. But man am I having a ton of fun with this game. I always wanted some sort of DBZ rpg that just went through the whole story and while this isn't that it does satisfy that desire a little bit. It may be because I haven't played a DBZ game since probably Boudokai 2, but the combat is also a ton of fun for me even though it does have some problems.

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By triplestan

Are the rewards from the parallel quests available anywhere other than getting a Z rank? I've tried that goddamn super saiyan parallel quest so many times to try to get it for my created character, and it's really souring me on the game. I just got past the Cell Games portion so I feel like I should just keep powering through the main missions, but I really want that super saiyan skill.

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am having a really hard time beating some parts of the game, I am playing a sayan woman and I am trying to do range attacks but they don't do enough damage to really be worth doing. I am stuck on Namek after you turn into the purple guy and have to go to the space ship.

Are there equivalents to super sayans for other races? I picked sayan mostly because they can turn super sayan.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@triplestan said:

Are the rewards from the parallel quests available anywhere other than getting a Z rank? I've tried that goddamn super saiyan parallel quest so many times to try to get it for my created character, and it's really souring me on the game. I just got past the Cell Games portion so I feel like I should just keep powering through the main missions, but I really want that super saiyan skill.

If you want, you can just buy it from the skill shop. Not sure how far you need to be for it to appear but I recall that and Super Saiyan 2 showing up pretty early for me.

@katimanic Every race can use different levels of the Kaioken. It's pretty similar to the Super Saiyan but it drains Stamina instead of Ki.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kerse: are you telling me you haven't played budokai 3? You should probably stop playing this game and just go play that. They even have a remaster for last gen.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I'm having a terrible time trying to get x20 Kaioken in the Saiyan's Pride Parallel Quest, x20 kaioken Goku keeps killing Vegeta before I can kill Goku, very annoying.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MindBullet

I can't tell if it's been mentioned yet, but if you've beaten the story mode already go ahead and collect those time shards. Not only does it unlock a "secret boss" type thing, but you also get access to a PQ called "Great Ape Festival" (I think it's PQ53?). It is the single best PQ for grinding in the game. I took a freshly made Saiyan from level 1 to 46 in a matter of minutes. Also you get a slight chance of spawning a rival Time Patroller who may or may not drop a dragon ball.

On that note, dumping a ton of points in Strike Supers, going SSJ2 and spamming Blue Hurricane has single-handedly trivialized most of the notoriously difficult PQs for me. I'd feel dirty if I wasn't so relieved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.