Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening is a full retail expansion pack for Dragon Age: Origins.

A post mass effect 2 bioware game.

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

I can't seem to bring myself to play Dragon age again after finishing Mass effect 2. I don't know why. Is it the polish? graphics, animation, design or what not. Dragon age was without a doubt a fine game when it came out but it pretty much got pushed into the shadows by its younger brother in Bioware. With the new trailers trickling out from bioware of the expansion recently, I just don't feel any sense of awesomeness from dragon age anymore.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hourai

After playing ME2 it just feels wrong without the protagonist speaking. 

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NoXious

Personally it's the Sci-Fi setting that made Mass Effect 2 that much better. I don't care about my character speaking - since half the goddamn time he wouldn't shout out the line I picked, just something else with a good/bad tone.

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kitsune_conundrum
    @NoXious: The genre setting is solely preferential but the thing I brought up is that those two games share so many similar mechanics and story elements but the ones in ME2 was just tighter, more polished and generally superior to Dragon age. Thus when I look back, I'm just gonna sigh and say 'what happened man?'.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Skald

You realize these games are almost completely different, right?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB

They're very different games. I can see where you're coming from, though. As much as I loved Dragon Age, I'd say that Mass Effect 2 raised the bar again for Bioware games. I also find myself more drawn to shooter-type games these days because every now and then I need something more fast paced.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#7  Edited By delta_ass

Yea dude, I'm with you. I was totally looking forward to Awakening, but now having played ME2, there really isn't a desire to go back.

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kitsune_conundrum
    @extremeradical: But they are very similar in design. Dragon age is more of a tactical and automated dice-rolling battle system where your team is put into an environment with special powers with cooldown times while ME2 is a reflex-based third person shooter where your team is put into an environment with special powers with cooldown times. 

@AndrewB: Not just the shooting, character conversations are similar and yet so different as well. Back in Dragon age, you've just got the dude looking at you all slouchy and twitching as you spoke to him while everything looks so much more alive in ME2. Take the latest trailer for Dragon age. Compare the Velanna trailer to the Samara trailer and you'll get what I mean.  

Two different teams worked on ME2 and DAO right? They're both great but obviously one of them is better.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By AndrewB
    @kitsune_conundrum:  Yeah, I already knew what you meant. A lot of it is down to the quality of animation, I think, even if Mass Effect 2 could still stand for a little improvement in that regard, as well. But that's a by-product of the type of game Mass Effect 2 is more than anything. It's very cimematic. Camera shots are basically what their counterparts would be in a real life movie. This carries over into the conversation system, which is better also because the main character can be more emotive and actually voiced.

Someone else put it very succinctly (can't remember who off the top of my head). Dragon Age is an answer to Bioware games past (built unapologetically like Baldur's Gate), and Mass Effect 2 is Bioware's answer to the future.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By Skald

The two are about as close as Starcraft and Rock 'n Roll Racing. Maybe your just more into shooters than RPGs.

@kitsune_conundrum said:

" the ones in ME2 was just tighter, more polished and generally superior to Dragon age. "

@kitsune_conundrum said:

" Two different teams worked on ME2 and DAO right? They're both great but obviously one of them is better. "

Wow, did you even want a differing opinion?
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Rowr

i like both differently.

I definitely prefer to choose what i want to say and not be acted out by a third person; It all feels very direct in dragon age. 

Mass effect is kind of the fun fact paced blockbuster, but it lacks that connection that i feel with every other bioware game when i make decisions.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By korwin

Both are awesome in their own right, playing through both of them again soon.

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremeradical:

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By endaround

Given that DA:O is by far superior no I don't understand this at all.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gike987

Dragon Age is an old-school RPG and ME2 is a shooter mixed with RPG, therefore completely different games.
    It's like comparing Civilization 3 to DoW 2.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#16  Edited By sarahsdad

Reading through this thread, I realized something I miss in ME that saved me a few times in DA; the ability to switch party members. Shepard only dies when I do something boneheaded in ME, but I wish in those cases that the game would auto-switch to the next character so I could potentially revive Shepard instead of going back to the last check-point. On the flip side, I think the party AI in ME generally worked better than in DA, so it's a bit of a toss-up.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By BawlZINmotion

Dragone Age Origins is a much slower game than Mass Effect 2. Both in game-play and plot. In fact there really aren't many games around that have the pacing ME2 does.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By sickVisionz

I'm not suffering from the OPs feeling.  ME2 is like a shooter with RPG elements.  Dragon Age is a RPG with no qualms or hesitations about being an RPG and revels in everything that entails.  I can go back and forth because to me they don't scratch the same gaming itch at all. 

Comparing DA to ME2 is like comparing Madden to Dragon Age and saying they're kinda the same since they both have a heavy reliance on stats and team building.  I see where you're coming from, but no.

Avatar image for buchinylordoftaco
    BuchinyLordOfTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@endaround said:
    " Given that DA:O is by far superior no I don't understand this at all. "
    QFT, DA:O is FAR superior to ME2 IMHO, and no amount of facepalm pictures will make me think you actually put this up to get a different opinion or change my mind, just to say that ME2 was better
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Dustpan
    @BuchinyLordOfTaco:  I have to disagree.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @AndrewB said:
    " They're very different games. I can see where you're coming from, though. As much as I loved Dragon Age, I'd say that Mass Effect 2 raised the bar again for Bioware games. I also find myself more drawn to shooter-type games these days because every now and then I need something more fast paced. "
    I don't understand what you mean by "going back" to Dragon Age.  One is fantasy & the other is sci-fi.  They're entirely different games.  How many times do you have to play ME2 & complete it to feel you are done?  At least there is new story in the Dragon Age Expansion.  It sounds more to me that you just burned out on video games or maybe you need a break from Bioware games.  I think Deadly Premonition is the shot in the arm you need to kick you out of your rut.

I think today I'll order me up some DA:O Awakening for my 360 & take a break from Mass Effect for a bit.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Semition
    @extremeradical said:
    " You realize these games are almost completely different, right? "
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Supermarius

Yeah. Played both. Mas Effect 2 is a prettier game and a more stylish package, but I honestly think dragon age is alot deeper in terms of gameplay mechanics, combat, sqaud control, and lore. They are both amazing games that are among the best i have ever played, but DAO beats out mass effect 2. I also like fallout 3 more than mass effect.  I actually like the pausing gameplay.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By emkeighcameron

You can have gay dwarf-elf sex in DA:O.

You can't in ME2.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Whisperkill

I've said from the beginning that Dragon Age feels like a step back from Mass Effect 1

sexy_nipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sexy_nipples

ME2 isn't even a WRPG.  

I mean most ME fans started WRPGs with what? Oblivion? Fable? LOL 

Dragon Age is shit on consoles. But if you played it on PC, and have been playing WRPGs for a long time, like Baldurs Gate 2, then Dragon Age blows Mass Effect out of the water in terms of RPG depth. 

ME1 was more of a cinematic  action RPG with a story ripped from Star Trek. ME2 was an action game with RPG elements with far more polished combat, but with a terrible story and a terminator as a final boss. ME2 is one of the most over rated games this gen. The dialogue choices are a joke, the missions structure is just going to a planet and recruiting someone, it is filled with cliches "HUMANITYS LAST HOPE!" "No one has ever returned from the Omega 4 Relay!". The story is ILlusive Man telling you the situation and you just recruiting people. The combat gets repetitive because of the lack of set pieces. The characters in ME1 were also terrible. I mean in Dragon Age, your characters have so much more personality, and you could talk to them for such a long time and find out about their personality. How much could you talk to your team mates in ME1 or 2? Not to mention that your party actually reacts to your decisions in Dragon Age.  

ME is a great game if you've never played WRPGs before. 

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By amir90

Both are great games.

if you meant by graphics, then yes ME 2 is better, but a lot smaller game then Dragon Age. 
    I never would compare the games thou, because my advice would be to pick up both, if you feel burned out by games (bioware has a tendency to do that a person), then go play something mindless, usually helps me!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.