Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Don't Starve

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Apr 09, 2013

A roguelike exploration/survival game from the creators of Shank and Mark of the Ninja.

Anyone else playing Don't Starve?

• 67 results
    Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
    No Caption Provided

I played the demo last night then paid to get in on the beta. Anybody else playing this?

If you're unfamiliar it's the new game by Klei (Shank, Mark of the Ninja) and it's essentially a sorta Minecraft-esque survival game where you're dropped in a randomly generated world with no instructions and no tools and you have to see how long you survive. You harvest and craft things like Minecraft but there's less of a focus on building and more of a focus on not dying. You need to eat or you die (hence the title) and at night you need to build a fire and keep it fueled or some big scary monster kills you. You also research new items to build which persists through multiple playthroughs.

No Caption Provided

So far I'm really enjoying it, Klei does a great job with art style and this is no exception, it's got a sorta dark gothic look to it. Lots of personality. The game itself is fun to play although I've found through multiple playthroughs the initial few minutes feel a little grind-y when you're trying to find the basics. The game is in beta and they're planning to keep updating it on a schedule, kinda strange that these paid beta's are becoming a regular thing but it'll be interesting to see what gets added.

No Caption Provided

Anyone else tried it? I'd totally recommend at least trying the demo, you can play it on Steam or on Chrome, which is where I'm playing it.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ares42

Been playing it quite a bit the last few days, and I have mixed feelings about it. It's sorta hard to tell, but it seems like they're going for a toybox feeling atm (which I'm not really into), but then again it's just a beta so maybe it'll turn into more of a game as they get further along. I do worry about the fact that it's on an "early 2013" release window though. If they really plan on launching within a few months the amount of content and the current balance of it won't really satisfy people very long, and there's only so much you can really get done in a few months time.

I like the idea though, and the artstyle is great, but it's not really much more than a stylized shallow farm simulator atm.

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Gantrathor

Man, this game looks cool. I saw it on Steam, but I had no idea that Klei are developing it. The art style looks reminds me of something that Tim Burton would come up with. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this. I might even shell out some cash to get into the beta.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By TruthTellah

@TheSouthernDandy: I have watched about three hours of the professional livestreamer and all around dapper fellow LethalFrag streaming it. Seems interesting. Glad to hear that it will continue to see a lot of development. Could end up being something quite special.

Laurentech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Laurentech

The title led me to assume this was going to be some sort of awesomely offensive game about bulimia. Kinda disappointed. I don't really want more Minecraft. D:

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Levius

I had read about this game a few weeks ago and it seemed really cool, thanks for the reminder as I had completely forgot about it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jimbo

I've been playing it my whole life. Very, very successfully.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By onarum

Yep, got it at the beginning of the week, and yeah it' s pretty much topdown minecraft with a very cool artstyle and no digging or building blocks, hard as all hell too and the progression is SLOOOWWWW, at first every single bolder you mined gave you at least 1 gold nugget and I used to put a lot of gold nuggets on science machines to get lots of science points fast but after the last update the incidence of gold nuggets decreased considerably.... now my main source of science points is wood, which is 2 a pop... but that fells obviously deliberate since all upgrades and science points are persistent between plays, so the goal is to always get as far as you can and the next time you would, theoretically, get a little bit farther.

Also I happen to have an extra copy of it, anyone that want's it send me a pm saying so, I'll put your names on a random name picker of sorts and let it decide :p

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deskp

@onarum: dig up graves and feed the result to the science machine for 80 points per piece!

feed the pig king meat to get more gold!

I love this game, steam tells me I already played 32 hours of it!

Anyone think this could possibly be on Spookin' with Scoops?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By onarum
    @deskp said:

@onarum: dig up graves and feed the result to the science machine for 80 points per piece!

feed the pig king meat to get more gold!

I love this game, steam tells me I already played 32 hours of it!

Anyone think this could possibly be on Spookin' with Scoops?

O wow, I don't know how I never thought about digging the graves, I was actually wondering what was the purpose of the shovel.

Also I don't think this is scary enough for Spookin' with Scoops, they should do a quick look of it though.
    deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deskp

@onarum said:

O wow, I don't know how I never thought about digging the graves, I was actually wondering what was the purpose of the shovel.

you can also dig up some stuff and replant it wherever you want ;)

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@TruthTellah: Yeah if they commit to updating it, it could be a pretty awesome game. Even at this stage I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I love the game's style. Reminds me of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By Atwa

I'll pick it up this friday when I get money. Love everything about this game, from the looks to the concept. I just love trying to survive for as long as possible, its just fun to me. 

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deskp

@Atwa said:

I'll pick it up this friday when I get money. Love everything about this game, from the looks to the concept. I just love trying to survive for as long as possible, its just fun to me.

I recomend buying it through their website, you get 2 steam keys and 2 chrome keys... THATS 4 COPIES!

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Atwa
    @deskp said:

@Atwa said:

I recomend buying it through their website, you get 2 steam keys and 2 chrome keys... THATS 4 COPIES!

Wow really? You get steam keys from them as well? Very cool, will definitely do that. 
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jozzy

This game is a lot of fun! Got up to day 16 and I just keep finding little new things to learn, really curious what other crazy stuff they are going to put in.

I have an extra key too, anybody wants to trade it for another indie game?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By AlexW00d

I saw some screenshots of it yesterday and thought "Huh, that art style looks a lot like Ice Pick Lodge's new game they kickstarted back in July, oh and it's a supposed horror game, oh and it's essentially the same game but set outside instead of in a house and you need to stop being hungry instead of insane, cool!" Hopefully it's just a coincidence, but it does look cool either way.

jaxjaggywires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By jaxjaggywires

Well, after the QL, I played for the first time tonight...got up to day 7 got mauled by dogs. Had previously gone to day 6 and tried my luck at a huge spider nest, with poor results.

Not a bad little game...

vegoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By vegoku

I picked it up after the QL. Its great. Apparently it came with a copy to send to someone. PM me if you want to trade or something.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ravelle

I always get slaughtered by night demons because I can't find the right stuff before it gets dark haha, great game though. It's pretty solid for a beta.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By davidwitten22

I saw the QL and now I'm very interested in this game, waiting on buying it though. Trying to see if anyone is interested in joining in on buying it with me. Then it would only cost us $6 each. PM me if you're interested, otherwise I'll probably just splurge and buy it anyways

commonoutlier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By commonoutlier

I saw it when it popped up on Steam, it's got a charming visual style (the same thing that drew me into Mark of the Ninja). I didn't bother looking to see if there was a demo, but now that I know there is one, I'll have to give it a try...I need a break from finals studying/work anyway.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bishna

After I watched the quick look I liked what I saw so I decided to bookmark it until it goes full release. But everyone's positive words about it in this thread is starting to change my mind about waiting.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#25  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Yeah, saw half of the QL (only half since the damn videos load like crap when not on Youtube) and decided I needed it. I am on my second dude right now, managed six days the first time, on day 17 now. Got a small base going, now I just need to find a reliable way of getting gold. It's really fun, looking forward to see what more they do with it.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By John1912

Are tier 2 items as far as the beta goes? Also I noticed the OP's screen shot shows the pigman with a spear and a helmet. There something I have to do to allow him to equip items? Mine wouldnt take anything from me. Game is really addicting ><

Cerevisiae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cerevisiae

It looks so good to me that I don't want to play the Beta. I'd rather wait for the full game to come out.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xxNBxx

@Jaqen_HGhar said:

Yeah, saw half of the QL (only half since the damn videos load like crap when not on Youtube) and decided I needed it. I am on my second dude right now, managed six days the first time, on day 17 now. Got a small base going, now I just need to find a reliable way of getting gold. It's really fun, looking forward to see what more they do with it.

same thing happened to me, but on the 17th day i found a spider nest and made a camp relatively close hoping that i could just let them come to me and kill them by my fire. Then I got mass attacked by like 30 of them and could only fight off 10 before they got me.

NickNotch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NickNotch

Anyone interested in my second copy of the game?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ghostiet

@NickNotch said:

Me!

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By eroticfishcake

Reminds me of Schiffbruch, anyone ever played that? Worth a look if you're interested in the concept. Old and simple but fun for ten minutes.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Ghostiet said:

@NickNotch said:

Me!

DAMN YOU!
    jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#33  Edited By jaqen_hghar

@xxNBxx: Been keeping away from the nests after almost dying my first day due to one of them. I did get jumped by around five from a nearby one during day 16, but I just made it. Luckily I had my spear ready, just in case.

I really like the style of the game. The graphics and the sounds fits it perfectly.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aviar

Picked it up yesterday after watching the quick look. Played the demo in the browser and loaded up steam immediately and purchased it.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By BBAlpert

A quick tip for getting research points relatively quickly/easily: Start up a new game, make a shovel, and dig up every patch of grass you come across. Use the grass to make ropes, then throw all your ropes and grass tuft/root things into the research machine for about 20-30 points each. I'd only recommend doing this in a throwaway game, since you're destroying your only source of grass in this process, but you can knock out a big chunk of the research over the course of one or two game days, and not have to worry about it any more.

Although I think I heard that they may be doing away with the research system altogether in one of the upcoming updates, so you could also just wait for that instead.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BisonHero
    @BBAlpert Isn't that kind of the only thing to work toward? It sounds like people can come up with a pretty sustainable homestead after learning the ropes for a bit. How easy is that to pull off? Is it just a matter of moving enough berry bushes, planting pinecones near your base, etc.?
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ravenlight

Are there any other Steam keys floating around that people would like to trade? I've got a few gift copies of Steam games I'd be willing to swap for a key.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By M_Shini

I kinda don't want to play it till its out of beta because i know i wont come back after ive spent my time with it

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BBAlpert

@BisonHero said:

@BBAlpert Isn't that kind of the only thing to work toward? It sounds like people can come up with a pretty sustainable homestead after learning the ropes for a bit. How easy is that to pull off? Is it just a matter of moving enough berry bushes, planting pinecones near your base, etc.?

Planting pine cones works, but berry bushes, saplings, and grass tufts don't grow anything if dug up and replanted unless you fertilize them with manure (which I have yet to find in any of my games). But you're right, beyond just unlocking stuff, getting to "sustainable" seems to be the biggest draw of the game as it is now. And once you figure out what you're doing, it's not all that difficult to set up a steady supply of food and fuel for the fire (note: you can use things other than logs to sustain a fire or start one in a fire pit).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried the demo, I thought it looked neat but it's basically minecraft without the building, and that's the best bit.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#41  Edited By Kidavenger
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By awesomeusername

I'd pay $7 max for it. I ain't crazy enough to spend $15 on a game where you just survive. That's insane.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By yoshimitz707

@awesomeusername: Well, it's currently $12 on steam and you get an extra copy when you buy it so you could split the cost with a friend.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By awesomeusername

@yoshimitz707: I don't know anyone who uses Steam besides my brother and I'm not that interested in it anyways. It looks like fun for a couple minutes and then *fart noise*.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BBAlpert

In the game's defense, there is a bit more content than the stuff that's available where you start out. If you travel far enough out, you should eventually hit some other environments, some with different plants and monsters. It's not a huge change to the game, and you could still probably get by almost indefinitely in the starting area if you wanted to, but it does open up a little bit more than I was giving it credit for.

seanvail99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By seanvail99

I would love to see an ios port of this. Could see myself wasting all kinds of time with it on the ipad while watching tv. On the desktop? Not so much.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AssInAss

@AlexW00d said:

I saw some screenshots of it yesterday and thought "Huh, that art style looks a lot like Ice Pick Lodge's new game they kickstarted back in July, oh and it's a supposed horror game, oh and it's essentially the same game but set outside instead of in a house and you need to stop being hungry instead of insane, cool!" Hopefully it's just a coincidence, but it does look cool either way.

So I wasn't crazy for thinking the same, although this looks a lot cuter :)

Mark of the Ninja is my early GOTY, so I'll definitely check it out. I've been playing Miasmata too, similar survival horror vibe.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#48  Edited By D_W

This game is pretty interesting. Though I'm not sure why I enjoy it so much. If you think about it you're not doing much more than clicking on stuff. Not Starving is actually really easy. Getting and maintaining resources outside of stone isn't all that hard depending on your map. The only real danger from monsters is the random hog creatures that hunt you down, but usually you can kite them to other creatures and deal with them that way.

But there's something really enjoyable about this game. I don't know what it is exactly.

Mercer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mercer

freaking awesome to discover all the weird things they packed in this game. it's like playing a Tim Burton movie

PS I just realized i could turn the camera and my mind broke

PPS Built a permanent settlement near spider nest....can't get their little rawring sound out of my head

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#50  Edited By D_W

@Mercer: How do you turn the camera?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.