Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Disgaea DS

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 23, 2008

Disgaea DS is a port of the PSP game Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness.

I don't get this game

yyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By yyninja

I enjoy the Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics and Advance Wars games but Disgaea isn't clicking for me. 
    I have nothing wrong with the Anime stuff or the "hardcore" gameplay mechanics. What's bothering me is the amount of grinding needed to get anywhere done. 
    My main guys are okay, but all my new recruits die in one to three hits and I have to constantly grind the same levels repeatedly just to have them not die as easily.

I don't have any motive to grind because I feel like I'm not working towards anything concrete other than higher levels. 
    I know that there's new spells/skills once I level my guys but I can't preview what these new spells/classes are. In other words, there's no proverbial carrot for me to chase. 
    And I'm not a GameFAQs kind of guy.

I'm on the 6 hr mark and just finished making my first lvl10+ item to access the newest dungeon.  
    Does it get better from here or is this game just not right for me?

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By kingzetta

don't use the new guys

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

In a series where weapons and characters can have up to 9999 levels....well, you get the point. The carrot in this case is an invisible carrot that may end up being a pointy stick, and you have to taste it to try it out. 

Good luck!

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Sagalla

You don't need new recruits to get through the game, and you don't really need to grind much either.  That said, there is one simple trick to level up dudes.  Simply make sure they are next to a more powerful character when he/she performs a killing blow on an enemy, so the new recruit can share xp in a team up attack. 

yyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#5  Edited By yyninja

Thanks guys, I'm now using the new recruits mostly as extra throwing units or meatshields for my main guys and it's been working out better. 

@Sagalla

said:

You don't need new recruits to get through the game, and you don't really need to grind much either.  That said, there is one simple trick to level up dudes.  Simply make sure they are next to a more powerful character when he/she performs a killing blow on an enemy, so the new recruit can share xp in a team up attack. 

I've been putting them near my main guys, then after the team attack I cancel all their moves and make them retreat. Leveling them up is still slow because my new recruits are mostly mages and they deal like 0-5 dmg in team attacks. 

Short Update:  
    I'm at the 8 hr mark and starting to have a whiff of the proverbial carrot.  
    I think the draw is how ridiculously powerful you can make your characters. It's pretty awesome having an item that adds 125hp to a character doubling his hp. 

2nd Update: 
    Okay, I've reached the 20 hr mark and I finally get this game now. I was frustrated before because I was trained to think in traditional ways of leveling. I'm hooked to this game now. 

Last Update: 
    Finished the game. I think this game is overrated. I was having positive vibes throughout the game, until the last few missions... I'll write a review up shortly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.