Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 08, 2013

A direct sequel to the cult-classic Strategy RPG Disgaea: Hour of Darkness and the fifth game in the series. Laharl, Etna, and Flonne return in a new adventure with both classic and new monsters, classes, and features.

Supposed To Be The Best

chemystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

So reviews seem to be pretty positive about it. Supposedly it's the best in the series and they finally made monster summons worth it. I'm looking forward to it, even though I've only really played D4.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

As a huge fan of the original Disgaea, I'm really tempted to pick this one up. Thing is, I'm gonna be spending a lot of time with Pokemon and other stuff, so...

Forgive me Laharl/Etna/Flonne/Random Monster #666!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#3  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

The monster mount idea sounds terrific. I want to tinker with some of the new character stat advancement stuff, because I still haven't seen it properly described.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Unfortunately this is one of those games I couldnt get into really :( but Im still happy that they make good ones for the fans who like it :D

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original cast, gameplay systems and improvements from 4 and the old Weapon Mastery system, I'm so ready. As dumb as Disgaea is I thought Magichange was dumb, even though mounts serve a similar function I'm happy they changed it.

They might not have been the most efficient characters but I always used a mix of monsters and humanoids. Disgaea can be the epitome of min-maxing but it also gives you the tools do the weirdest stuff.

Waiting for my NISA limited edition, feels weird since it was released here two weeks ago.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a half an hour in or so, but already, I can tell you two things - the prologue/tutorial is much more user friendly than it has been before and the presentation feels just slightly worse than Disgaea 4. The text is slightly smaller and a bit of a pain in the ass to read (though the old blue/red color coding system for weapons and equipment is still easy enough to see), and the graphics and animation feel slightly less smooth and shiny than they did in the last one. That said, it definitely seems like a Disgaea-ass Disgaea game, and that's what I want.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've found monsters to be pretty useful for the last couple games, but especially Disgaea 4. Valvatorez + Desco destroys all.

It will probably be awhile until I get around to playing this, since I'm not quite ready to delve into Disgaea again, but I'll likely play it eventually.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By casper_

they say that about every new disgaea game but whatever i'll get it and probably waste shitloads of time on it again.

chemystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I have played so far things seem pretty good. The voices are not what I expected but I think I'll get used to it in time. The likeability feature is pretty cool. It's fun seeing what your different party members say to you in the castle. Also they have a random vending machine that gives out strange things like save icons so you have somewhere to dump all your excess money.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Have they by any chance added some kind of suspend save feature? I very rarely feel like powering through 10 item world floors in a row.

chemystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spunkyhepanda said:

Have they by any chance added some kind of suspend save feature? I very rarely feel like powering through 10 item world floors in a row.

Nope it doesn't look like they added anything like that. I don't mind that so much but I'm curious if they made Mr. Gency exits easier to get or not.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monsters have always been an iffy "class" except for if they were "story characters". They seemed to have extra limitations and not enough power compared to "humanoids". I like the Magi-change and Fusion stuff but it costs 2 characters on the map to execute.

And I too agree that a game like this really needs a "suspend". I'd take even a "suspend save" where you get only one that can be used anywhere and any time.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

While I love what they've streamlined, I feel like this one's the weakest Disgaea to date due to the uninteresting plot and new characters. It also doesn't add nearly enough nee character models or monsters, even by NIS's standards. Still, not having to deal with two inventories is a huge improvement, and the cheat menu is really handy - you don't have to go to the Assembly to adjust enemy difficulty. Finally.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I love what they've streamlined, I feel like this one's the weakest Disgaea to date due to the uninteresting plot and new characters. It also doesn't add nearly enough nee character models or monsters, even by NIS's standards. Still, not having to deal with two inventories is a huge improvement, and the cheat menu is really handy - you don't have to go to the Assembly to adjust enemy difficulty. Finally.

Story and characters worse than 3's? That sounds dire.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ervonymous: Not too dire - I've never been into these games for the story and characters. But I definitely feel like it's a bit lazy and lackluster. It sorta feels like the Disgaea version of, say, Gears of War Judgment or Final Fantasy X-2. Which, I suppose, isn't far from the mark.

chemystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chemystery

@ervonymous: The big thing they did was remove any serious undertones. There is no real moral of the story to this one. Everything is just zany and out there. It's not really detrimental to the game but it doesn't make it much better either.

Edit: Spelling

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure enough the first chapter was pretty cringeworthy but more disappointing is the weird bug I've seen reported elsewhere, Laharl's HP always drops down to 1 after beating a map. Not a huge deal with the hospital around but it makes him a liability in the item world.

I dig the small improvements here and there and the cheat shop is a great addition, gimme all the mana and weapon mastery points.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.