Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Devil May Cry 4

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 31, 2008

The fourth game in the popular Capcom action franchise, Devil May Cry. Take on the role of new playable character Nero, as he uses his swanky demon arm to beat the hell out of a demon invasion in the castle town of Fortuna.

Fans, a little help please?

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By trulyalive

I've never played Devil May Cry 1-3. But I have bought Devil May Cry 4 thanks to a friend who would not shut up about how great it is. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the stroy from DMC 1-3.
    I don't particularly want to play them because I already have a que of games to be played, so I was wondering if someone could give me a brief backstory of the franchise, up until the beginning of DMC 4?
    Thanks to anyone who responds (except for that inevitable arrogant guy who's gonna tell me to play DMC 1-3...he can go die in a napalm related fire...*)

*=Just kidding, arrogant guy, I love ya really ^_^

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Riddler

"Dante is a Cunt and Nero is a Pussy, its up to you to tell them a part"  - Yahtzee, Zero punctuation.

This is the best way to describe this game,

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By trulyalive

Seen it, many a time. Not really after a review of this game, just the general backstory of the last 3 games in the franchise.

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Riddler
    Bo17 said:
    "Seen it, many a time. Not really after a review of this game, just the general backstory of the last 3 games in the franchise."
    dante the cocky spoiled demon kid of sparda opens a shop/service called "devil may cry". demons attack his shop when he's eating a pizza, and stabs him through the heart. he gets up, drags the demon dude that stabbed him with him to the slice of pizza he dropped. he picks it up and pulls the scythe out of his body. MONTAGE TIME, he punches the juke box to start a metal riff that he can "Rock" to and starts jumping sliding all over the place with a slice of pizza in his mouth to kill the baddies. 

Half naked chick shows up tells him his brother is gonna open the portal to the demon world, he goes to stop him. .....GETS HIS ASS BEAT by his brother Virgil. and realizes his demon powers while getting resurected and EATEN BY A FISH (DONT ASK ME......) he kills the fish..............................finds another chick takes her gun, kills a demon bat lady that turns into a guitar that throws BATS FROM HELL at enemies. kills his brother, brings him back to life and fights a evil CLOWN that transforms into a demon...................

That is Basically DMC3, the prequel to 1,2 and 4....................

NO, i did not make anything up, thats HOW BAT SHIT INSANE / STUPID / CRAZY Devil May Cry is............here ill post the cut scene to prove it.

enjoy.

BTW, dont play DMC for the story.......its that stupid ..........or awesome how ever you look at it
    trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By trulyalive

...wtf...how could i go through so many games without seeing how awesome that was?!

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Riddler
    Bo17 said:
    "...wtf...how could i go through so many games without seeing how awesome that was?!"
    go play 1 and 3.
    but not 2, its horrible. 6/10 horrible
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By brukaoru

Four is disappointing. Skip two, the gameplay sucks and the story has no relevance yet. The first one is fantastic and the third one is good. The third one takes place before the first one, but you may want to play the first one before playing the third one, because for some people the controls for the first one are hard to get used to after playing three.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Demilich

Like it's been said, play 1 or 3.

popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By popmasterruler
    @Riddler said:
    " Bo17 said:
    "...wtf...how could i go through so many games without seeing how awesome that was?!"
    go play 1 and 3.
    "
    A 6/10 is average,not terrible.DMC 2 is not the worst piece of shit that people have said that it is.That's just hyperbole.DMC 2 is a fairly average,decent game.The main problem with DMC 2 is that it's BORING.In some ways that's worse than it being "shitty"
    JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By JTB123
    @popmasterruler said:
    " @Riddler said:
    " Bo17 said:
    go play 1 and 3.
    "
    A 6/10 is average,not terrible.DMC 2 is not the worst piece of shit that people have said that it is.That's just hyperbole.DMC 2 is a fairly average,decent game.The main problem with DMC 2 is that it's BORING.In some ways that's worse than it being "shitty" "
    I agree that DMC2 is boring, but i think the main reason it got so much hate was because (for better or worse) it is the sequel to DMC1. And considering what that game did way back in 2001, DMC2 took so many steps backwards.
    popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By popmasterruler
    @JTB123 said:
    " @popmasterruler said:
    " @Riddler said:
    " Bo17 said:
    go play 1 and 3.
    "
    A 6/10 is average,not terrible.DMC 2 is not the worst piece of shit that people have said that it is.That's just hyperbole.DMC 2 is a fairly average,decent game.The main problem with DMC 2 is that it's BORING.In some ways that's worse than it being "shitty" "
    I agree that DMC2 is boring, but i think the main reason it got so much hate was because (for better or worse) it is the sequel to DMC1. And considering what that game did way back in 2001, DMC2 took so many steps backwards. "

Aside from the setting what steps did it take backwards?The combat for the most part was the same,in fact they even added to it.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By JTB123

The gameplay just wasn't as smooth as in in the original, the boss fights were shockingly bland and easy compared to the original. Weapons weren't as diverese, enemies were very boring to fight and the overall level design just wasn't as good. 

They did add some good ideas into DMC2 combat wise, but the enemy design completely negated those additions, if they had kept the enemy design how it was in the original it could have been so much more. DMC3 was the game that took those ideas to the next level, DMC2 had the amulet system, DMC3 had the style system. DMC2 had real time weapon switching for firearms only, but there was never a reason to use anything but the rocket launcher. DMC3 made every weapon unique, and so choosing which pairs you wanted became very important.  The combo system was also completely different in DMC2, there was less room for freedom than in the original.

When you look at DMC2 and then 3, the similarities between the two are numerous. It's just that DMC3 took the new ideas from DMC2 and made them so much better by fixing all the issues no.2 had. I still don't think the original DMC gets the credit it deserves, it's overshadowed by the shortcomings in DMC2 and then once again by the improvements in DMC3. 

I have rambled a little... sorry :)

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#13  Edited By Jazz

Play 3. 
    It's a prequel to the original, it plays the best out of all of them and it's the most fun. 
    Or you could sell DMC4, buy Bayonetta and forget anything else. 

Cause..I'd go with Bayonetta. It makes DMC3 look like trash, and I love DMC3. 

edit: WTF, necroposting. People, please.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.