Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

What'd you think of the story? ***SPOILERS***

• 104 results
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

Alright, so I've noticed a couple of people comment about the ending of the game, that it was a cliffhanger ending.  This makes me curious, as I beat it on Medium and...for all I know...Hard has an extended ending.

First of all, I want to point out the amount of parallels that this story holds alongside Bioshock.  You've got the relatively empty ship (compared to relatively empty Rapture).  You've got the nutzos (the doctors in both games come to mind).  You've got the people that you are led by and shouldn't trust (Andrew Ryan in Bioshock, the chick...can't remember her name...that is guiding you along in this one).  Even with sharing a ton of elements, the story is still super solid.  It really makes me want to pick up the comic books and the short movie on DVD to see the rest of the story surrounding this thing.

I was thoroughly pissed when I found out that the chick that's been leading me along the whole way had her own motives, especially because I was expecting HAMMOND to be the one that betrays me.  This is one of the first games that I didn't see the story twists coming, and it really pissed me off.  lol

Also, for the ending...the Nicole that was walking around with me at the end of the game and such...my buddy was sitting next to me, looking at her face, and kept saying "watch, dood, she's corrupted".  When the ending popped up, and she ends up being in the shuttle with you and jumps at you...

...I don't understand how you guys are saying that's a cliffhanger.  She killed Isaac.  No one survived.  End of story.  Bad guys win.  So where's the cliffhanger?  Is there something else AFTER that?
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

The thing is, we dont KNOW for sure if she killed Isaac...he survived worse surprise attacks than that, and we dont even know if it was really Nicole in the ship. Isaac obviously had dementia, and could have been his mind tearing itself apart.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo

The chick's name is Kendra. But as for Nicole, my theory is she is the real one controlling the monsters, not the Hive Mind. She's the only one that can retain her form, she obviously isn't a hallucination (she controls a couple physical objects during the story), and she's still going after Hive Mind is dead. And like GTAvaccine said, we don't know if he's dead. It's stupid to assume, in this day and age of cliffhangers, that someone can just die. Trust me, they always come up with ways around this bullshit. I'm trying to beat the game on Impossible, and will notify if I find any secret ending.

Edit: Kendra's acting was pretty awesome considering she was the traitor. If I were her, I would've played it safer.Then again I don't have a chest that big, or boobs at all.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jakob187
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "The thing is, we dont KNOW for sure if she killed Isaac...he survived worse surprise attacks than that, and we dont even know if it was really Nicole in the ship. Isaac obviously had dementia, and could have been his mind tearing itself apart."
    How's the digging going there?  Find Peng's treasure yet?  =  /
    Vinchenzo said:
    "The chick's name is Kendra. But as for Nicole, my theory is she is the real one controlling the monsters, not the Hive Mind. She's the only one that can retain her form, she obviously isn't a hallucination (she controls a couple physical objects during the story), and she's still going after Hive Mind is dead. And like GTAvaccine said, we don't know if he's dead. It's stupid to assume, in this day and age of cliffhangers, that someone can just die. Trust me, they always come up with ways around this bullshit. I'm trying to beat the game on Impossible, and will notify if I find any secret ending."
    The developers said that the ending was a definite ending and no form of cliffhanger, so my assumption still leads to saying that Isaac is dead and turned into a Necromorph.

And I'm hoping that's what happened as well.  I don't want a cliffhanger ending.  I don't want a sequel.  I just want Dead Space to be "that game".  I want it to be the next Beyond Good and Evil and Freedom Fighters and Vagrant Story.  One off...nothing else.
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Dude, it's just really hard for me to believe after fending off those bigass brutes that one silly surprise attack killed Isaac.

And I dont know about you, but I could play more a looot more Dead Space.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "Dude, it's just really hard for me to believe after fending off those bigass brutes that one silly surprise attack killed Isaac.

And I dont know about you, but I could play more a looot more Dead Space."
    Don't get me wrong, I would love having more Dead Space...but at the same time, I'm deathly afraid of a good thing getting franchised and ruined.  Now if they were to make a "spiritual successor" of some sort, the same way that you have with Bioshock or Shadow of the Colossus, I would TOTALLY be down for that.
    And I can easily understand the logic of what you are saying about all the attacks you fend off...with a helmet on...and not vulnerable as hell to finding out that the woman you loved killed herself.

But I don't think she killed herself.  I honestly think that the last video you saw of her was an injection of something that turns her into a Necromorph.

Maybe we should ask the developers.  Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny...think you guys could pull some strings and get us an answer to this all-important question?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vinchenzo
    jakob187 said:
    "TheGTAvaccine said:
    "Dude, it's just really hard for me to believe after fending off those bigass brutes that one silly surprise attack killed Isaac.

Don't get me wrong, I would love having more Dead Space...but at the same time, I'm deathly afraid of a good thing getting franchised and ruined.  Now if they were to make a "spiritual successor" of some sort, the same way that you have with Bioshock or Shadow of the Colossus, I would TOTALLY be down for that.
    And I can easily understand the logic of what you are saying about all the attacks you fend off...with a helmet on...and not vulnerable as hell to finding out that the woman you loved killed herself.

But I don't think she killed herself.  I honestly think that the last video you saw of her was an injection of something that turns her into a Necromorph.

Maybe we should ask the developers.  Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny...think you guys could pull some strings and get us an answer to this all-important question?

"
    The injection was probably liquid death, similar to what they do to inmates on death row. I doubt she would turn herself into a Necromorph voluntarily especially if she loves Issac so much. Also, EA has stated they are wanting to make a franchise out of Dead Space, so it's still a cliffhanger, we'll just find out what happened to Issac later. (Issac? Isaac?)

Peng's treasure is where you crash into Ishimura in chapter 1. When you go back during chapter 11, act as if you're walking to where the crew go demolished. Halfway between the ship and door distance, on the left in a "gutter" (a small indent between the two railings) is a shiney, golden object you have to grab with Kinesis. It is Peng's treasure, sells for 30,000 credits.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187
    Vinchenzo said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "TheGTAvaccine said:

"
    The injection was probably liquid death, similar to what they do to inmates on death row. I doubt she would turn herself into a Necromorph voluntarily especially if she loves Issac so much. Also, EA has stated they are wanting to make a franchise out of Dead Space, so it's still a cliffhanger, we'll just find out what happened to Issac later. (Issac? Isaac?)

Peng's treasure is where you crash into Ishimura in chapter 1. When you go back during chapter 11, act as if you're walking to where the crew go demolished. Halfway between the ship and door distance, on the left in a "gutter" (a small indent between the two railings) is a shiney, golden object you have to grab with Kinesis. It is Peng's treasure, sells for 30,000 credits."
    Thanks for the tip on finally getting the achievement.  I wanted to enjoy the game first without worrying too hard on unlocking them...and I ended up getting 640 or so on the first playthrough on Medium.  lol
    As for the theory of the injection, chances are she DIDN'T inject herself.  That was just me diggin'.  lol  Like I said, though...I REALLY don't see the ending as a cliffhanger.  I see it strictly as a finished ending of "Isaac is dead".

And on the Issac/Isaac thing...fuck knows, I don't know how to spell the damn word any better than I can spell Michael...or Micheal...or however it's spelled.  lol

WE DON'T KNOW EITHER!!!
    WE DON'T KNOW EITHER!!!

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Wolswor

I just beat the game on hard myself.  Watching the credits roll at the moment...one question, how the eff would  Nicole's corpse(necromorphed body) be on the ship anyways?  When she was on the ship she seemed pretty alive and didn't want to attack Issac, but now that he is leaving he doesn't notice that a necromorph is RIGHT beside him.. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
    Wolswor said:
    "I just beat the game on hard myself.  Watching the credits roll at the moment...one question, how the eff would  Nicole's corpse(necromorphed body) be on the ship anyways?  When she was on the ship she seemed pretty alive and didn't want to attack Issac, but now that he is leaving he doesn't notice that a necromorph is RIGHT beside him.. "
    I'm still really trying to figure that one out completely.  I'm gonna go look up about the comics and the Downfall movie and such, see if I can find out something else.
    *EDIT*  Alright, so apparently, the comics don't feature any of the cast in this game...so no background there.  The Downfall movie doesn't come out until Oct. 31st, so there's not really any info on that either...but it looks to be a prequel as well.

I started thinking a little harder about the story in this, and particularly why Nicole's corpse would be on the ship.

Are we SURE that it's Nicole?  It wasn't the chick that was trying to steal the shuttle from you in the first place?  I mean, she got bitch-slapped pretty hardcore before that boss fight, and ya never know what happens after that.  =  /
    Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wolswor

You can still see Kendras decapited and de-limbed body beside you after the fight ends.
    On an unrelated note:  The biggest let-down story wise was how often I just said  "....are you effing kidding me??"  at moments when you would get a vid transimmison.."Nice job Issac!  You just restored the power....buuuuuut.....I left my drink down in the dark crew quarters, could you get it for me?"
    Another un-related ntoe:  Can anyone tell me what was up in the begginning when you first get onto the Isshimura and they tell Issac to look at the monitor...and there is blood all over the floor but no one says anything?  How does no one notice and why doesn't Issac say anything?  Mute protaginists piss me off sometimes..

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
    Wolswor said:
    "You can still see Kendras decapited and de-limbed body beside you after the fight ends.
    On an unrelated note:  The biggest let-down story wise was how often I just said  "....are you effing kidding me??"  at moments when you would get a vid transimmison.."Nice job Issac!  You just restored the power....buuuuuut.....I left my drink down in the dark crew quarters, could you get it for me?"
    Another un-related ntoe:  Can anyone tell me what was up in the begginning when you first get onto the Isshimura and they tell Issac to look at the monitor...and there is blood all over the floor but no one says anything?  How does no one notice and why doesn't Issac say anything?  Mute protaginists piss me off sometimes.."
    Funny...even I didn't notice all the blood on the floor!  lol  Maybe I just didn't care at that point.  =  /
    As for the letdown of it all...I can't lie...I actually ENJOYED the constant "power restored, but shit, something else is wrong now".  It was almost like the ship was fighting against them at any given time.

Man, was I pissed about Hammond not being the bad guy.  I thought I had seen that one SOOOOO well!!!  Grrr.
    Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wolswor

haha...I kinda figured it out when Hammond actually started to provide information and Kendra was just saying he was crazy and dis-regarding his information...at first I thought Hammond was evil too, then I just wondered "why is Kendra such a bitch all of a sudden?"  I never thought she would work for the unis.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vinchenzo
    jakob187 said:
    "Wolswor said:
    "You can still see Kendras decapited and de-limbed body beside you after the fight ends.
    Another un-related ntoe:  Can anyone tell me what was up in the begginning when you first get onto the Isshimura and they tell Issac to look at the monitor...and there is blood all over the floor but no one says anything?  How does no one notice and why doesn't Issac say anything?  Mute protaginists piss me off sometimes.."
    Funny...even I didn't notice all the blood on the floor!  lol  Maybe I just didn't care at that point.  =  /
    As for the letdown of it all...I can't lie...I actually ENJOYED the constant "power restored, but shit, something else is wrong now".  It was almost like the ship was fighting against them at any given time.

Man, was I pissed about Hammond not being the bad guy.  I thought I had seen that one SOOOOO well!!!  Grrr.
    "
    Well you knew Hammond had to die whether he was a traitor or not. The black guy always dies.
    Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wolswor

His death made me angry...as soon as he walked in I thought "if you lead anything into this room you are an asshole hammond"  I then fought the brute with no stasis in that small cramped room. Not fun.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16  Edited By neoepoch

To be a little off topic, jakob, it seems like you said that Beyond Good and Evil was only going to be stand alone game from your earlier post, but there is going to be a sequel.

Anywho, I could really go for more Dead Space and to see a definite resolution to what happened to Issac.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187
    neoepoch said:
    "To be a little off topic, jakob, it seems like you said that Beyond Good and Evil was only going to be stand alone game from your earlier post, but there is going to be a sequel.

Anywho, I could really go for more Dead Space and to see a definite resolution to what happened to Issac."
    I've had a couple of questions about this come in.  The fact is that Beyond Good & Evil has remained solo for so long without the idea of a sequel even being considered until recently that I still consider it to be a special kind of game.  I understand that a sequel has been rumored, and a trailer has been shown with no gameplay footage, and a lot of talk has gone on.  Nonetheless, once I see actual gameplay, I will fully believe a sequel exists and is in the works.  The reason for this belief is simple:  Freedom Fighters had a sequel in development supposedly, with concept art and talks about gameplay mechanics going around, all kinds of nifty stuff...and the game has never been heard from again.
    Therefore, I'm not getting my hopes up.  =  /
    PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By PenguinNerd

What I'm kind of wondering is Kendra said that they had found the real marker on Earth some hundreds of years ago.  And unless I missed something the marker was what was behind most of this.  So is Earth basically screwed?  Or at least I'm thinking the sequel will have us return to Earth and destroy the marker and such...also what if Nicole really wasn't a hallucination at all?  I mean Kendra has lied to us before why wouldn't she now just to make us think Nicole has been dead for a long time.  I know the video makes it seems like she kills herself but why the heck wouldn't Isaac have noticed this the other times he had watched it?  Also in the end of Chapter 12 Nicole was standing next to the marker...and then she was just gone.  Maybe that's how she was on the ship at the end?(As in she just went to the ship and let you take care of things)  I don't know and I'm really unsure what to think of what all happened in the end.  Also I'm really interested in what the animated movie will reveal to us.  I know it's a prequel and the comics have revealed a good bit of back story but I'm wondering just what the movie is going to show.  Will it be a animated version of the comics or more of the events on the Ishimura rather than just the colony?

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I think it was pretty clear that Nicole was a hallucination when she stepped out from behind the Marker...because ya know, that would be kind of impossible. Well not impossible, but very unlikely.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jakob187

Downfall supposedly links the comics and the game, and the movie ends at the point where we start on the game.  Therefore, they will be focusing on the events that happened on the Ishimura.  Specifically, I think it's going to be all of the video logs linked together, as I found this article at Variety that happens to have a familiar looking picture:

Needle through the eye anyone?

Given this information, I'm REALLY looking forward to the animated movie, as I'm praying it will answer a lot of our questions.  With it releasing after the game, I'm betting they were hoping for this kind of rabid wandering.  lol

*EDIT*  Guys, I would suggest reading the review, as I especially found THIS part to be intriguing as hell:

"All it takes is one sting from these manta ray-looking creatues (deliver THROUGH THE SKULL for maximum gross-out potential) and the target human instantly transforms".  (emphasis added)

All those needles and such going through human skulls...they instantly transform when the manta-ray ones do it?  HRMMMM!!!!  AND THERE WAS A WHOLE FUCKING ROOM OF PEOPLE WITH HOLES IN THEIR HEADS AND BAGS COVERING THEIR FACES?!

Can we say, "holyshitit'sabouttogodownonOctober28th"?!
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vinchenzo
    nerdboy said:
    "What I'm kind of wondering is Kendra said that they had found the real marker on Earth some hundreds of years ago.  And unless I missed something the marker was what was behind most of this.  So is Earth basically screwed?  Or at least I'm thinking the sequel will have us return to Earth and destroy the marker and such...also what if Nicole really wasn't a hallucination at all?  I mean Kendra has lied to us before why wouldn't she now just to make us think Nicole has been dead for a long time.  I know the video makes it seems like she kills herself but why the heck wouldn't Isaac have noticed this the other times he had watched it?  Also in the end of Chapter 12 Nicole was standing next to the marker...and then she was just gone.  Maybe that's how she was on the ship at the end?(As in she just went to the ship and let you take care of things)  I don't know and I'm really unsure what to think of what all happened in the end.  Also I'm really interested in what the animated movie will reveal to us.  I know it's a prequel and the comics have revealed a good bit of back story but I'm wondering just what the movie is going to show.  Will it be a animated version of the comics or more of the events on the Ishimura rather than just the colony?"
    But the Government created the monsters, I believe Kendra said. To also be a bit off-topic the Government always creates the things that fuck our humanity. Can we overrun them yet?
    PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PenguinNerd
    Vinchenzo said:
    "nerdboy said:
    "What I'm kind of wondering is Kendra said that they had found the real marker on Earth some hundreds of years ago.  And unless I missed something the marker was what was behind most of this.  So is Earth basically screwed?  Or at least I'm thinking the sequel will have us return to Earth and destroy the marker and such...also what if Nicole really wasn't a hallucination at all?  I mean Kendra has lied to us before why wouldn't she now just to make us think Nicole has been dead for a long time.  I know the video makes it seems like she kills herself but why the heck wouldn't Isaac have noticed this the other times he had watched it?  Also in the end of Chapter 12 Nicole was standing next to the marker...and then she was just gone.  Maybe that's how she was on the ship at the end?(As in she just went to the ship and let you take care of things)  I don't know and I'm really unsure what to think of what all happened in the end.  Also I'm really interested in what the animated movie will reveal to us.  I know it's a prequel and the comics have revealed a good bit of back story but I'm wondering just what the movie is going to show.  Will it be a animated version of the comics or more of the events on the Ishimura rather than just the colony?"
    But the Government created the monsters, I believe Kendra said. To also be a bit off-topic the Government always creates the things that fuck our humanity. Can we overrun them yet?"
    Yeah, so then the sequel we get to take down the government! w00t!!....but no I'm going to play through a few more times to see if I missed anything and of course might try to rent the movie when it comes out.
    Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

i feel so left out =(
    i dont have the game yet  =(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(=(

Avatar image for seanisstillathreat
    SeanIsStillAThreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont feel the ending was a cliffhanger at all, it really seemed more like the game creators wanted to add once last shock. But I feel that even if there was a sequel, then the whole nicole attacking isaac thing wouldnt hold much significance.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jakob187

So I hit Chapter 11 for my second time today and really tried to focus on the story more.  I still need to go back and read all the text logs and such, but Ch. 11 is the one where Kendra betrays you.  Here's a few of the things that I got from being able to really listen and not be shocked as all Hell by what I was hearing:

The marker that was found on Aegis 7 (the planet you are around) was man-made by the government after they tried to replicate the marker that was found on Earth (which apparently holds no powers like this marker does).  In fooling with the alien technology and trying to make their own, they ended up fucking up and making something that turns people into blood-thirsty fucking monsters.  Therefore, they sent this marker to Aegis 7 and sealed off the area around it that was housing it in order to use it as an experiment for...well...we aren't exactly told what the experiment is.  If I had to guess...probably some way to create super soldiers or some shit like that.  Whatever.

However, the CEC decided to take the Unitologists, which Unitology is a religion that has been around (at this point in the story) for a pretty long time (I think I had seen something that said, like, 200 years), in order to get the marker.  Apparently, they consider the marker to be some form of holy relic.  However, they were unaware of the previous marker that had been found, and instead they go for the man-made one.  In turn, you have the current debacle you are placed in.

Kendra is a government agent that was sent along with Isaac and Hammond to retrieve this marker and put it back where it was, then seal off the system around the planet once again to continue the experiment.  Meanwhile, she continuously blocked Hammond's signals in order to lead you where she wanted you so she could get the marker back and put it where she wanted it, because otherwise, Hammond would've done the same thing that Kime wanted:  to destroy the marker.

Another thing I noticed was in Chapter 11, at the end when you are in the flight room with "Nicole", you'll notice that any of the monitors you walk by activate and start scrolling an alien language across them.  Her face is also far more deeply shadowed and you can see some form of mutation on it.  Therefore, I'm under the belief after my second playthrough that the "Nicole" might actually be an infected Nicole that has been warding off turning somehow.  By the time that you reach Aegis 7 to put the marker back, she has disappeared somewhere, which can lead you to believe that Kendra is right in you being demented.  However, when you get back on the ship, it seems that the thing that attacks you happens to be a mutated form of Nicole, which could easily explain why she ended up getting the hell away...in fear that she could eventually infect you.

I don't know...that last paragraph is stretching it a bit, as it's basically just speculation and my own opinion on how everything ends up.  However, the other stuff is all compiled and confirmed from both in-game as well as outside information sources.

So hopefully that helps everyone a little bit.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Shadow

I remember sitting there and thinking "oh god, something's going to come up behind him and right when you see it, the credits will roll."   Although I was wrong about the "behind" part, it was a pretty cliche horror ending that was extremely predictable.  I liked the story besides that point.  It was also pretty dumb that he didn't bother to take the marker back to its little pedistle, because that chick SOMEHOW got it from there to the ship in under a minute.

thesolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thesolution

Did anyone else get the text log that labels the marker "3A"? The first marker was found on Earth, where is the other one?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jakob187
    TheSolution said:
    "Did anyone else get the text log that labels the marker "3A"? The first marker was found on Earth, where is the other one?"
    It could just be a numbering system that they've got for random artifacts that they find.  However, it's worth digging around for info on to find out for sure.
    October 28th isn't coming quick enough.  I'm ready to knock over a Best Buy store's back room and grab a copy of Downfall!!!
    Avatar image for cleverloginname
    CleverLoginName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#29  Edited By CleverLoginName

Always wear your helmet!

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By DukeTogo

Maybe if you didn't run through the God damned game so fast you wouldn't be left at the end wondering what happened.

I also posted in another topic that this game directly parallels the story of System Shock 2, even more so than Bioshock (that games successor).  From the setting, to the hive mind, to creature design, even the areas of the ship are the same.

This is basically the remake of SS2 EA was working on when they squashed that fan mod a year or so ago.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jakob187
    DukeTogo said:
    "Maybe if you didn't run through the God damned game so fast you wouldn't be left at the end wondering what happened.

I also posted in another topic that this game directly parallels the story of System Shock 2, even more so than Bioshock (that games successor).  From the setting, to the hive mind, to creature design, even the areas of the ship are the same.

This is basically the remake of SS2 EA was working on when they squashed that fan mod a year or so ago."
    *EDIT*
    Five times you've posted this on the forums, it seems.  And one time is all anyone needs.
    igpx407

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By igpx407

My favorite theory about the markers comes from the Penny Arcade forum thread. Someone basically said that the original marker on Earth created human life, and our reverse engineered marker got screwed up when we made it and made the necromorphs. I really have no idea about Nicole at the end though. My best guess is that she was a hallucination brought on by everything that Isaac just went through.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jakob187
    igpx407 said:
    "My favorite theory about the markers comes from the Penny Arcade forum thread. Someone basically said that the original marker on Earth created human life, and our reverse engineered marker got screwed up when we made it and made the necromorphs. I really have no idea about Nicole at the end though. My best guess is that she was a hallucination brought on by everything that Isaac just went through."
    I haven't heard that theory...but man, that's an interesting and damn fine theory.

I finished my second playthrough last night, and here's what I have come to realize:
    Isaac wasn't crazy.  He did get attacked, and my strong guess is that he's more than likely dead.  It was definitely a necromorphed version of Nicole that attacked him at the end.  Whenever you hit chapter 12, she is out by the marker...and even before that, you can tell that she's infected with something.  Once you go inside the little building there to get the power supply that you need, there's a playback log where she says to get the marker to the Hive Mind, blah blah blah.  When you step back out, she's not anywhere to be found...meaning she probably went back into the shuttle.

Here's a theory that I've got about Nicole's "infection"...and man, it's really stretching shit...but here goes:

Mercer infected her.  He was doing all this research on folks and shit, working on making that regenerating monster he had...and there's one audio log that has Mercer talking about how he's doing God's work and all this shit, and there's a woman that keeps begging for him to not do whatever he is going to do to her in the background.  The voice sounds almost dead-on with Nicole's, and a name is never actually given in the audio log of who she is.

My guess would be that Mercer infected her with some kind of concoction that allowed her to have a slow releasing version of the necromorph infection.  The only real question is why he would pick her, but it may have just been a very random thing.  However, Mercer does seem to take a pretty hard interest in Isaac throughout the game, showing up and delivering speeches to him at least four or five times.

So...that's my guess.  Like I said, it's stretching pretty thin...but at the same time, it's crazy enough to be right...I think.
    Arcadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Arcadius

ok...sooo...i finished my first play through earlier today...and im currently about to enter ch 3...(btw military suit is badass)...and ive noticed a couple things...like i was very sketchy about nicole from the very beginning...and i thought that the events that occured between nicole and issac(ch 12 text logs) were exasorbated by the events happening on the ishimura probabally have led to his dimensia...thou there "were" mechanics that seemed to state otherwise...like her letting you progress in the mining area (kinda fuzzy on it) but you defend her while she tries to open the door on your side...that proves to her being alive...BUT...there are many more points against  her existance...

INPORTANT NOTE...everyone thats beaten the game...read all the text logs from ch 12...very inciteful...and will tie up SOME loose ends...

when you think about it logically...you "could" indefinantly barricade yourself against the necromorphs...but there are problems...the necromorphs can wait much longer than you...they are dead...can survive in an envirnment compleatly devoid of oxygen or any other elements for that matter...seem to require no food source of any kind...and have the persistance to "propagate" their species...the cut and dried odds against this enemy in that enviroment (large/spacious air ducts to crawl about)...are about 99.9 to 0.1...this is also parallel to the people alive onboard the ishimura at the time...klein (good doctor), mercer (bad doctor), nicole (if real at all), and the 3-7 that off themselves right infront of you (like the chick with the bone saw in medlab right before the morgue)...out of a crew of 1024...the only way to combat an enemy as such was to burn and purge...no survivors are worth possible infestation of the whole human race...needs of the many out-weigh the needs of the few

another good point was stated a couple posts back about how the black marker might be the birth of life on our planet...makes sense...that humanity would fuck it up in a recreation...but the interesting thing about the red marker is that...it bled off radiation from all over the scale...sound...light...radio...brain waves...the list goes on...also that in the governments recreation...that the marker had a redish glow...like the color of blood...but far weirder...was that after you came into close contact with it...you heard...chanting...and other unhuman sounds...on top of that...the hanger controll room was freaky...and i noticed it the first time...like i WAS the marker...seeing images on screen that resembeled it...and the charecters scrawled on it...i also noticed the diffrence between nicole at this point and the before...seemed...less alive...btw...you'd think that the necromorphs wouldnt bother you in your attempt to return the marker...but nope...

did anybody else take the time to notice the decryption of the "code" on the marker...that was scrawled on a backlit board in hydroponics...in the first freezer area?...my reasoning is that...right at the end of the game...theres that code...and it quite clearly spells something...but i didnt pay any real attention to the decryption...so i wouldnt know what it said...but...much like portal...im pretty sure that the scrawlings of delusional religious fanatics might be an interesting read...it seemed that the further you progressed through the game...the more of it you saw...ch 12 was much like a sidewalk that was basically attacked by small children with chalk...or a jail cell in a funny farm...practically every surface had something written on it...im pretty sure that alot of it is just repeated gibberish...but!...the crew at ea have been real thurogh so far...so mabye there is a higher level of depth in the game's back story...right infront of our own eyes...we just never gave it any thought...

i've been trying to find all the logs...and i got about...5-7 left...you know...little things...none the less...the game minus the paranoia, is quite fun...the second play through is much easier...at first i had a hard time ajusting...but now i have the ropes...and 4 fully upgraded weapons...(plasma cutter, line gun, pulse rifle, contact beam)...the last boss was too easy with the contact beam...literally only shot him 5 times with it (the chest orbs with the pulse rifle)...and every other tentacle with the yellow orb...one shot kills... : ) ...

im running out of things to say...so im going to shut up now...but i hope i've added a little to this forum...

badwhodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By badwhodo

I think the story could end up being Church vs. Government.

I think USG is Unitarian Science/Space Group and that Kendra was put on that mission as a government operative to try and  keep the government's screw up away from them.
    I think she fucked over Isaac because she didn't know what he would do after she told him the truth.  I think Hammond had ties to the church that weren't explained, yet.  I think
    Nicole might be some form of evolution of the species, but i dunno.

its all my own speculation.

I do have to ask though; Did anyone else notice how Hammond made sure to point out that the ship wasn't just the "Ishimura", but the "USG Ishimura".  I might be reading too much into it, but I found that interesting.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jakob187

Wow...I won't lie:  either all of those last two posts were crazy babbling or I'm just getting super tired right now.  lol

Yeah, Hammond does make a point of saying "the USG Ishimura"...but I think that's just because he was trying to make a point that it was the biggest planet cracker in her class.

She fucked over Isaac because she was using Isaac the whole time to do her dirty work.  Basically, she was already planning on all of them being dead by the time she got the marker back.

Hammond, with the church?  Really?  I don't know, man.  Maybe.  =  /  I mean, in the backstory of this whole thing, Unitology has been around for a while and it's the most widely accepted religion in the universe, apparently.  It's highly possible that he was.

I think I'm finally to the point that I agree with Nicole being a Necromorph and not just dementia.  On my last playthrough, I was trying to listen to the logs far more closely to see if Kendra or Hammond was ever asking what I was shooting at or who I was talking to or anything, and there was never really anything.  Hammond and Kendra both even acknowledged Nicole speaking through on the live audio feeds from her own RIG.  Then again...that begs the question of how she was able to communicate through the RIG to Isaac, Kendra, and Hammond without syncing up the RIGs like Kendra did at the beginning.

*ugh*  Plot holes, grrr...

Anyways, going back to the comment before this:

I didn't notice the decryption code in hydroponics.  I'm on ch4 right now on my third playthrough, so I'll have to check that out when I get there.  = D
    Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Wolswor
    Arcadius said:
    "ok...sooo...i finished my first play through earlier today...and im currently about to enter ch 3...(btw military suit is badass)...and ive noticed a couple things...like i was very sketchy about nicole from the very beginning...and i thought that the events that occured between nicole and issac(ch 12 text logs) were exasorbated by the events happening on the ishimura probabally have led to his dimensia...thou there "were" mechanics that seemed to state otherwise...like her letting you progress in the mining area (kinda fuzzy on it) but you defend her while she tries to open the door on your side...that proves to her being alive...BUT...there are many more points against  her existance...

INPORTANT NOTE...everyone thats beaten the game...read all the text logs from ch 12...very inciteful...and will tie up SOME loose ends...

when you think about it logically...you "could" indefinantly barricade yourself against the necromorphs...but there are problems...the necromorphs can wait much longer than you...they are dead...can survive in an envirnment compleatly devoid of oxygen or any other elements for that matter...seem to require no food source of any kind...and have the persistance to "propagate" their species...the cut and dried odds against this enemy in that enviroment (large/spacious air ducts to crawl about)...are about 99.9 to 0.1...this is also parallel to the people alive onboard the ishimura at the time...klein (good doctor), mercer (bad doctor), nicole (if real at all), and the 3-7 that off themselves right infront of you (like the chick with the bone saw in medlab right before the morgue)...out of a crew of 1024...the only way to combat an enemy as such was to burn and purge...no survivors are worth possible infestation of the whole human race...needs of the many out-weigh the needs of the few

another good point was stated a couple posts back about how the black marker might be the birth of life on our planet...makes sense...that humanity would fuck it up in a recreation...but the interesting thing about the red marker is that...it bled off radiation from all over the scale...sound...light...radio...brain waves...the list goes on...also that in the governments recreation...that the marker had a redish glow...like the color of blood...but far weirder...was that after you came into close contact with it...you heard...chanting...and other unhuman sounds...on top of that...the hanger controll room was freaky...and i noticed it the first time...like i WAS the marker...seeing images on screen that resembeled it...and the charecters scrawled on it...i also noticed the diffrence between nicole at this point and the before...seemed...less alive...btw...you'd think that the necromorphs wouldnt bother you in your attempt to return the marker...but nope...

did anybody else take the time to notice the decryption of the "code" on the marker...that was scrawled on a backlit board in hydroponics...in the first freezer area?...my reasoning is that...right at the end of the game...theres that code...and it quite clearly spells something...but i didnt pay any real attention to the decryption...so i wouldnt know what it said...but...much like portal...im pretty sure that the scrawlings of delusional religious fanatics might be an interesting read...it seemed that the further you progressed through the game...the more of it you saw...ch 12 was much like a sidewalk that was basically attacked by small children with chalk...or a jail cell in a funny farm...practically every surface had something written on it...im pretty sure that alot of it is just repeated gibberish...but!...the crew at ea have been real thurogh so far...so mabye there is a higher level of depth in the game's back story...right infront of our own eyes...we just never gave it any thought...

i've been trying to find all the logs...and i got about...5-7 left...you know...little things...none the less...the game minus the paranoia, is quite fun...the second play through is much easier...at first i had a hard time ajusting...but now i have the ropes...and 4 fully upgraded weapons...(plasma cutter, line gun, pulse rifle, contact beam)...the last boss was too easy with the contact beam...literally only shot him 5 times with it (the chest orbs with the pulse rifle)...and every other tentacle with the yellow orb...one shot kills... : ) ...

im running out of things to say...so im going to shut up now...but i hope i've added a little to this forum..."
    Klein is not the good doctor, he is crazy, maybe even more-so than Mercer.  He is the one who killed the captain, he held a miner hostage and demanded the processing codes to get the Marker in cargo.  Yeah, he wanted to put the marker back into the ground, but he was killing all kinds of people to do it.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jakob187
    Wolswor said:
    "Klein is not the good doctor, he is crazy, maybe even more-so than Mercer.  He is the one who killed the captain, he held a miner hostage and demanded the processing codes to get the Marker in cargo.  Yeah, he wanted to put the marker back into the ground, but he was killing all kinds of people to do it."
    I must've missed that part...
    Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Wolswor
    jakob187 said:
    "Wolswor said:
    "Klein is not the good doctor, he is crazy, maybe even more-so than Mercer.  He is the one who killed the captain, he held a miner hostage and demanded the processing codes to get the Marker in cargo.  Yeah, he wanted to put the marker back into the ground, but he was killing all kinds of people to do it."
    I must've missed that part..."
    The vid log on the elevator has the captain mention Klein's name before he stabs the flashlight into his eye.  On the minning deck there is an audio log where you hear Temple get held hostage by Klein, Klein demands the codes and someone else says "this is processing how the hell would I know the codes" and then Temple says "Klein, is this what you did to the captain?  Go ahead and shoot me if you have the balls." and it cuts off there.
    Arcadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Arcadius

good as in...he doesnt openly try to kill you...or end the human race...thats good for me in my book...just remember...cause of perspective...good and evil are relatively loose terms...based on the perception of the veiwer...so...yea...

but further on...the code bothers me...i wish i took a picture of the decryption...

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheGTAvaccine
    Wolswor said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Wolswor said:
    The vid log on the elevator has the captain mention Klein's name before he stabs the flashlight into his eye.  On the minning deck there is an audio log where you hear Temple get held hostage by Klein, Klein demands the codes and someone else says "this is processing how the hell would I know the codes" and then Temple says "Klein, is this what you did to the captain?  Go ahead and shoot me if you have the balls." and it cuts off there."
    Damn, I didnt even really pick up on what that was all about - good on ya for mentioning that.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jakob187
    Wolswor said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Wolswor said:
    The vid log on the elevator has the captain mention Klein's name before he stabs the flashlight into his eye.  On the minning deck there is an audio log where you hear Temple get held hostage by Klein, Klein demands the codes and someone else says "this is processing how the hell would I know the codes" and then Temple says "Klein, is this what you did to the captain?  Go ahead and shoot me if you have the balls." and it cuts off there."
    Ah, see, I had through that was Mercer.
    And that was a flashlight in the eye on the vid log?  I thought that was a needle.  At least, it was a needle in the animated still from Downfall.  =  /

Nonetheless, good to know.
    Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Wolswor

I don't know if it is a needle or a flashlight, I am assuming it was a light because it looked like he was examining the captains eyes(to me)  If it is a needle in downfall it is probably a needle then.

Arcadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Arcadius

syringe...thats what i saw...like he was givin him a shot

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By PufferFiz

i just beat it and i really hope issac is not dead. i mean he just went through hell and he cant beat off one guy. cuse if they make a second one i dont want some other guy i want the bad ass issac! honestly i really hope EA goes halo on this one (a trilliogy with one guy, but with out the 2nd one not being good). Ea really need some good new fresh IP's and i think this could work.

as for the rest of the story i thought it was very good and i didnt expect most of the twists that they throw at you. but i did notice that was similar to Bioshock.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jakob187
    PufferFiz said:
    "i just beat it and i really hope issac is not dead. i mean he just went through hell and he cant beat off one guy. cuse if they make a second one i dont want some other guy i want the bad ass issac! honestly i really hope EA goes halo on this one (a trilliogy with one guy, but with out the 2nd one not being good). Ea really need some good new fresh IP's and i think this could work.

as for the rest of the story i thought it was very good and i didnt expect most of the twists that they throw at you. but i did notice that was similar to Bioshock."
    I hope that Isaac IS dead.  I don't want a "franchise" of this, persay.  I would rather they pull a Ico/Shadow of the Colossus kind of thing.  A spiritual successor type of thing would be far cooler than just playing the same game over again, because with all the games this borrows from, I just don't think it could hold up as a franchise.  =  /
    Arcadius said:
    "syringe...thats what i saw...like he was givin him a shot"
    YOU HAVE 1 POST TOO!!!  WE'RE GLITCH BUDDIES!!!  YAY!!!

Now stop it, because I'm the only one allowed to be glitched on this site.  -_-
    Arcadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Arcadius

lol...jakob...

ok...but remember how i made this big whoop about a decryption...i got pictures...btw...its the refrigerator in the east grow wing...right before you walk into the zero g part...on a flickering, back lit board...in white letters...(ok...so i was a little off...but w/e)

[IMG]http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/CarpeNecris/1022081305.jpg[/IMG]

srry bout the low quality...all i have is my phone...and i have other pictures...just ask...

and i agree with jakob...this would have even less replay value as a franchise...literally sucking the life out of the concept...remember...this game was pitched by programers...so the concept is pure...its much like a ceo/money whore to push a concept into a franchise...and kill it...if there was a sequel...i wouldnt play it...

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Arcadius said:
    "lol...jakob...

ok...but remember how i made this big whoop about a decryption...i got pictures...btw...its the refrigerator in the east grow wing...right before you walk into the zero g part...on a flickering, back lit board...in white letters...(ok...so i was a little off...but w/e)

[IMG]http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/CarpeNecris/1022081305.jpg[/IMG]

srry bout the low quality...all i have is my phone...

and i agree with jakob...this would have even less replay value as a franchise...literally sucking the life out of the concept...remember...this game was pitched by programers...so the concept is pure...its much like a ceo/money whore to push a concept into a franchise...and kill it...if there was a sequel...i wouldnt play it..."
    Integrating your image below.

caption
    caption
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jakob187

All I can read on that is "Don't believe the lies....(word) what (word) really (word).  Then you have all the craft decryption shit.

I'll have to play through and find that in game.  What chapter is that again?

*EDIT*  Man, with that decryption setup, it makes me want to go through the whole game and read ALL of the alien language shit around the place.  lol
    Arcadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Arcadius

yay...im at 70 percent on trophies...i wish it were 100 thou...i'd love to have my first platinium...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.