Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

This game taught me not to give up on games you dont like

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Edited By AhmadMetallic

It's funny, for the last 2 years i tried several times to play Dead Space and each time i got fed up with the camera angle and heavy movement and slow plasma gun that i couldnt keep playing beyond the second chapter 

Last night, i was sitting in the dark thinking of a new game to play. something really different. and i looked at my game collection and saw Dead Space standing there with dust this thick covering it 
    I installed the game, told myself to give it a serious shot, and 3-4 hours later i was about to finish Chapter 4. 

It's really weird.. i guess i never felt the game's vibe and atmosphere, and how brilliant the movement and combat mechanics are.. I'm so glad i decided to give it a shot last night, im about to start chapter 7 and i cant be more psyched ! 

The vacuum areas, the zero gravity sequences, the variety of enemies and the weapons COOL AS SHIT.  
    And the crazy thing is, i really cant take horror games when im by myself.. i get scared. but with Dead Space i played it AT NIGHT and i felt like it was an action game :S 

I think im gonna go give Mass Effect and Fallout 3 another shot !

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

It's funny, for the last 2 years i tried several times to play Dead Space and each time i got fed up with the camera angle and heavy movement and slow plasma gun that i couldnt keep playing beyond the second chapter 

Last night, i was sitting in the dark thinking of a new game to play. something really different. and i looked at my game collection and saw Dead Space standing there with dust this thick covering it 
    I installed the game, told myself to give it a serious shot, and 3-4 hours later i was about to finish Chapter 4. 

It's really weird.. i guess i never felt the game's vibe and atmosphere, and how brilliant the movement and combat mechanics are.. I'm so glad i decided to give it a shot last night, im about to start chapter 7 and i cant be more psyched ! 

The vacuum areas, the zero gravity sequences, the variety of enemies and the weapons COOL AS SHIT.  
    And the crazy thing is, i really cant take horror games when im by myself.. i get scared. but with Dead Space i played it AT NIGHT and i felt like it was an action game :S 

I think im gonna go give Mass Effect and Fallout 3 another shot !

coreytn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By coreytn81

Oddly enough the same thing happened to me with both Dead Space and Mass Effect. They have a very deliberate pacing and sometimes, especially with games I just want to speed through the action with minimal interruptions. It's not to say I don't like story or plot, but I usually have a very limited amount of time to play games and want to get the most interactivity for my time spent. 

I forced myself to get through the first few sections of Mass Effect and then became hooked and its now one of my favorite games. I just now got around to Mass Effect 2 (cheap) and instantly bought all the DLC for it. Dead Space, while I liked it felt like the same jump scares towards the end and I began to just rush through it. 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mordukai
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Glad you gave it another chance. Dead Space is really a fun experience and that's why we play video games, right? 

PS - The game has a TON of hidden easter eggs.
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Djeffers03

I can't make it through this game, I really don't like to PLAY horror games because I feel really uncomfortable and makes the experience drag on forever (which In my books is not a good thing). Over the past few years i've slowly made my way to chapter 10.

Avatar image for thedukeofargyll
    TheDukeofArgyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheDukeofArgyll
    @Djeffers03: Its funny you mention that, because many fans of the genre like this game for that very reason.  Horror games have since drifted away from this to gain a wider audience and alienated there core fan base.  I personally loved never feeling safe, it keeps you on your toes.
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Djeffers03
    @TheDukeofArgyll: You sir are CRAZY!
    tumes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By tumes
    @coreytn81:  Enjoy ME2 man. That game is freaking brilliant on so many levels. It's like playing a season of a really good scifi show.
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By jozzy

Am I the only one that kept accidently using health boxes in the middle of combat because they were activated through the x button or somesuch. I stopped when I came to a hard part of the game and I had no more healthboxes while I didnt knowingly used them. Also the bit where you have to shoot asteroids out of space was really annoying. 

Still planning to play through it on easy difficulty just to experience all the chapters. It has a great atmosphere.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Djeffers03 said:
    " @TheDukeofArgyll: You sir are CRAZY! "
    funny thing is, i couldnt play Silent Hill 2,5, Condemned: Criminal Origins, F.E.A.R (first time around), Penumbra: Overture, Doom 3 or Amnesia: The Dark Descent without having to take several breaks because i cant play horror games when im by myself, it feels too uncomfortable 
    yet i played 4 chapters of Dead Space in my room around midnight without feeling any fear ! like i said, it felt like an action game with some disturbing moments..
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Afroman269

I thought the way the game felt and its controls were perfect for this type of game, but it's great you played it more. Definitely one of my top favorite games. 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11  Edited By Geno

Yeah some games are like that. It was the same with me and the Stalker games - I thought they were atrocious at first (the poor performance didn't help either). Now you will find no larger an advocate of them. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Geno said:
    " Yeah some games are like that. It was the same with me and the Stalker games - I thought they were atrocious at first (the poor performance didn't help either). Now you will find no larger an advocate of them.  "
    thanks for reminding me! STALKER is another highly praised game that i wanted to punch in the balls..  
    give me tips on how to break that wild game in and enjoy it, cuz i shall try it out again along with mass effect ! i mean it just felt so.. raw and tasteless ! the weird ass radiation areas that i had no way of detecting, the intolerant atmosphere!! pissed me off
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#13  Edited By jacksukeru

You're lucky, I played through the whole thing and still didn't enjoy it. 

Though it's happened to me sometimes too where I suddenly enjoyed a game I didn't before, I guess it depends what you're in the mood for but I think it can also come down to expectations. I remember trying one of the PS2 3D Castlevanias, expecting Devil May Cry, and being put off by the less agressive enemies. After I had played a few of the Metroidvania style 2D Castlevania games though, I went back and actually started enjoying the game.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By Geno
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Geno said:
    " Yeah some games are like that. It was the same with me and the Stalker games - I thought they were atrocious at first (the poor performance didn't help either). Now you will find no larger an advocate of them.  "
    thanks for reminding me! STALKER is another highly praised game that i wanted to punch in the balls..  give me tips on how to break that wild game in and enjoy it, cuz i shall try it out again along with mass effect ! i mean it just felt so.. raw and tasteless ! the weird ass radiation areas that i had no way of detecting, the intolerant atmosphere!! pissed me off "
    You just have to gain an appreciation of its rawness. It doesn't hold your hand, it doesn't give you freebies. There's no regenerating health, your AI partners aren't invincible, and you die in 2 shots on the easiest difficulty. The atmosphere is incredibly subtle and well done, and in addition you never feel like "I'm the main character and the world revolves around me!", everything just operates as normal - any interaction is instigated by the player, not the other way around. It's the definition of immersion. 

Download the Stalker Complete mods, give it a chance, and I think you might find something you'll like in it. Shadow of Chernobyl is probably the best one to start out with. 
    Avatar image for thedukeofargyll
    TheDukeofArgyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheDukeofArgyll
    @Djeffers03: In the context of a video game mind you ;)
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Geno said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Geno said:
    thanks for reminding me! STALKER is another highly praised game that i wanted to punch in the balls..  give me tips on how to break that wild game in and enjoy it, cuz i shall try it out again along with mass effect ! i mean it just felt so.. raw and tasteless ! the weird ass radiation areas that i had no way of detecting, the intolerant atmosphere!! pissed me off "
    You just have to gain an appreciation of its rawness. It doesn't hold your hand, it doesn't give you freebies. There's no regenerating health, your AI partners aren't invincible, and you die in 2 shots on the easiest difficulty. The atmosphere is incredibly subtle and well done, and in addition you never feel like "I'm the main character and the world revolves around me!", everything just operates as normal - any interaction is instigated by the player, not the other way around. It's the definition of immersion.  Download the Stalker Complete mods, give it a chance, and I think you might find something you'll like in it. Shadow of Chernobyl is probably the best one to start out with.  "
    that sounds beautiful. in theory, i want to try it out, because its really amazing. however, the execution isnt so easy. i just cant evolve into a gamer who can endure intolerant games with such a serious difficulty, i try, but i cant. i really wish i could, but anything more realistic and immerse than usual is just too difficult for me to handle and enjoy :( i do not know how to change this
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Jeust

It's curious, but I'm giving another shot at Persona 4, and I'm loving it. I still have small issues, but I'm having a blast with it. ^^ 

Have fun with Dead Space!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By NTM

Not that I had the same problems. But like the topic title says, it's the same exact thing for me as well. I got the game on release just because when it came out I had money from my first job I had got and just wanted to spend some money on a new highly rated game without any real knowledge of it, and I got about half way through and disliked it. But I said "-sigh- I bought it, I should go through it..." Went through the game all the way months later. LOVED it, not only is it one of my favorite games, it is my favorite game closely followed by Crysis if not the same. There were multiple games after, most notably Infamous. I went through it and though "Meh..." But went through it again, and it's one of the best PS3 games. As for Dead Space, I've already gotten all trophies, and usually after I achieve something like that I don't feel like going any further, but it's so good I want to. I've beaten over six times and I've bought everything there is to the Dead Space games, and Dead Space universe like the movies and comics. Or at least saw and read through them a couple of times. YES! Dead Space is more than just amazing. I'm about to make a Forum topic right now on it. I wish I could say I'm the number one fan of Dead Space, but I can't. Sorry if there's a handful of errors in this post, I'm a bit excited... :D By the way, play it on the hardest difficulty. It'll scare you the first few times you go through it more so than your first play through. You have to take it slow anyways. Yeahhhhhh :) Ok, done with the ultra long paragraph. Ha ha ha.

coreytn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By coreytn81
    @jozzy: The shooting asteroids out of space scenario is frustrating until you learn that you are going to almost fail as per the story. You can't win this scene at all, its for dramatic effect. Just as you become overwhelmed the automated system kicks in. Its just up to the player's skill level as to how long they last until they are conveniently saved by the system.
    KrazyIan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KrazyIan

I can understand where you're coming from, I just did the same thing with Fallout 3.  I played a few hours of it a year or so ago, and went "yeah this game is pretty cool", but ended up getting side-tracked and never coming back to it.  Fast forward to last month where I fired it up again and just went apeshit on that game (and all the DLC).   

I'm actually playing Dead Space right now, and its hooked me from the start, so I guess everyone has a different reaction to it.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Rayfield
    @Ahmad_Metallic: 

Dude yes. Dead Space is awesome. Just got done with my 2nd playthrough to get the achievement for only using the plasma cutter.  You won't be disappointed. 

I am super-excited to have the Dead Space 2 Collectors Edition on pre-order. LIFE-SIZE PLASMA CUTTER REPLICA. AWW YEAH.
    Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Clinkz

Its funny you say that and thats actually the definition of my play style now and has been for a few years. Its how I figured out I loved Chrono Cross by sticking with it till the end. On the contrary, it works the other way too. I came to the conclusion I loathed Mass Effect, Planescape, and Deus Ex by sticking with them till the end. Kudos to your newfound enthusiasm though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.