Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

Dead Space is a solid experience.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

So far I am roughly nine hours in (about to activate the executive shuttle) and I can, without hesitation, say that this game is truly awesome. This game brings back memories of when I played System Shock 2 (derelict ship, alone in deep space with unknown enemy), Resident Evil 4 (control scheme + runaway tactics), as well as Doom 3 (freaky occurrences, jump scares). I can already tell this is certainly going to be a game that people remember for a while to come.

Alright, so being about nine hours in, I've focused most of my power nodes on my Plasma Cutter and Pulse Rifle, and so far it's done me justice. At some point though, I needed to get a weapon that acted more as a room broom, and could help me clear out a bunch of necromorphs in my immediate vicinity, so I went with the Force Gun to help me knock back enemies and give me some breathing room. It's done me good so far, especially getting ride of those annoying crawling things that jump all over you.

My favorite idea of Dead Space though, is this game has a total old school quality to it. It focuses on telling you the story through logs, and simply going through this ship, eradicating these enemies while trying to get shit done so you can get the hell off the ship. It doesn't try to overcomplicate things in any way. Even the puzzles may stump me for a couple seconds before I say, "oh, okay, so I gotta do this and then that."

Dead Space has its heart and its story in the right places, and I can commend the game for this.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By dudacles

It's a great game.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JokerSmilez

Played a couple hours of it when it was released, then got my own apartment and had to leave my roommates big screen and surround sound system behind. I've been waiting until I can afford my own setup (have the big screen, but waiting for the surround). From the couple hours I spent with it, it's way better with a surround system (ie, we both jumped and looked behind us at the same moment, etc)

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't have the time to start another game, but I've been dancing around buying this from Games on Demand for about two months now. Very tantalizing. 

Glad it's good.

Moztacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Moztacular

My favorite game from 2008 for sure, though I would say that audio/video log part of the game is more a direct rip from Bioshock rather than a throwback to old style storytelling. I still loved all the audio logs and stuff of course, fun story, great to play with both a huge sound system and tv or just bottle up and use headphones and really shit yourself!

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Rhaknar

Dead Space was fucking awesome

BackupPanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BackupPanic

The gameplay mechanics were there, but the story certainly wasn't motivating. Fix this or grab that, get on tram, repeat for the remainder of the game.

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By blackbeard

I am glad to hear of more people who like Dead Space, especially since it didn't sell as well as it should have. 

I absolutely love everything about Dead Space.... it was the first game I platinumed on my PS3. Its a game I will certainly go back and play again. 

If you have the luxury of a surround sound system... do yourself a favor. Turn the lights off, turn up the surround sound and enjoy the ride. 

This is the only game I have ever played that actually made me jump a few times.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By napalm
    @moztacular: It's not really a rip from BioShock. Audio logs originally came from System Shock > System Shock 2 > BioShock. The same developer (under different names) made all of these games. Considering how high of an influence System Shock 2 had at the time of its release, even more so afterward, it is no surprise we see science fiction/space-driven games taking cues from System Shock 2. Audio logs, wall-mounted/replaceable electricity units, even upgrading your suit is reminiscent of the Quantum Bio-Reconstruction Machine from SS2.

Of course, I'm not saying Dead Space is a total rip off of the aforementioned in any way. It takes cues and draws inspiration from that game, as well as Doom 3 and Resident Evil 4 to create a really unique experience. 

@BackupPanic: I agree to a certain extent. I wouldn't say that it gets entirely tiresome, but this is what happens when you have a silent protagonist. Unfortunately he can't really figure out what he needs to do next, because he doesn't TALK, so he's constantly being told by people what the next objective is.
    MonkeyGekko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MonkeyGekko

Dead space is a really good game. I think I have beat it like 4 times now, actually got my S rank just yesterday.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive

it was my goty.    
    it is excellent.   
    its like Uncharted in that its not all that unique since it doesn't bring a ton of ideas to the table, but overall, it has a spit shine polish and works better than most of the games it borrows from.  
    Besides, 
    it's way better than Resident Evil 5, thats for sure. 

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By lead_farmer
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " Besides, it's way better than Resident Evil 5, thats for sure.  "
    Indeed it is.  Played through it once so far. 
     @Napalm said:
    " Alright, so being about nine hours in, I've focused most of my power nodes on my Plasma Cutter and Pulse Rifle, and so far it's done me justice. "
    Want to try beating it with only the plasma cutter.  When that thing is upgraded, I think it's the best weapon in the game.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By sixghost

Dead Space got robbed in GB's 2008 GOTY.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By RobotHamster

I love that game, got 1000g for it too, hurray S rank!!!!  Can't wait for 2!!!!!!!!

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @lead_farmer said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
     @Napalm said:
    " Alright, so being about nine hours in, I've focused most of my power nodes on my Plasma Cutter and Pulse Rifle, and so far it's done me justice. "
    Want to try beating it with only the plasma cutter.  When that thing is upgraded, I think it's the best weapon in the game. "
    i thought about doing that before actually. it is the best gun in the game. the automatic rifle blows donkey dick. 
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sixghost
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @lead_farmer said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
     @Napalm said:
    Want to try beating it with only the plasma cutter.  When that thing is upgraded, I think it's the best weapon in the game. "
    i thought about doing that before actually. it is the best gun in the game. the automatic rifle blows donkey dick.  "

You'll probably run into some problems with the babies and those flood looking tiny things if you just use the plasma cutter, but yeah, the plasma cutter fucking destroys. Also, the plasma rifle isn't so bad if you get the damage upgraded 2-3 times.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Geno
    @sixghost said:
    "Dead Space got robbed in GB's 2008 GOTY. "
    goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By goodwood

ya im seeing this at best buy right now for 17.99 im pretty sure im going to have to pick it up. I would be a bad person if I didnt.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.