Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Franchise »

The Dead Space franchise tells the story of the outbreak of the Necromorph infection on the space mining vessel, U.S.G Ishimura.

(For Dead Space fans out there) what do you think of this news?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

http://kotaku.com/5863657/ea-wants-to-make-a-dead-space-first+person+shooter-and-more

I don't know, but dammit, I want Dead Space 3, and I want it to be like the others, just improved like a sequel should be. An Uncharted-like Dead Space? Eh, why? Well, if they can make a great game out of all these new Dead Space games, then I'm in, but really, I have to worry about them messing something up for three, which this is the case of if it's not broken, don't fix it. I'm hoping they don't make Dead Space 3 into some Uncharted-like FPS, whatever the hell that would be (though I doubt it of course). What do you guys make of it? Excited about the rumors if true, or just don't care right now?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

How do you make an Uncharted-like FPS when Uncharted is a third-person shooter?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JasonR86

I don't think Dead Space as a brand is strong enough to warrant multiple styles of gameplay like a FPS and a Flight-Game. I think that they are assuming that the brand is more important and more diverse and expandable then it really is.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Hailinel said:

With QTE's. They solve everything.
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rattle618

A change is welcomed in this franchise, at least for me. I hope they take the time to get it right though.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RE_Player1

I thought Extraction was solid title,despite it not selling particularly well, and showed me that the universe can have multiple game types. First person shooter? Sure. As long as they can tell a great story and the game is polished like all the previous games in the franchise than I'm all for it. Also I understand I might be in the minority here, I've read the book and watched the movies so I'm a pretty big fan that will probably get anything Dead Space related :P

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Cloudenvy

I'm more worried about what would happen to the cool HUD stuff than the gameplay. : (

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UnrealDP

A big change in the Dead Space formula would be a nice change of pace compared to every other sequel I've seen this year. I don't mean to complain though, it's been a great year for video games and more of the same isn't all bad.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I have played both games fully near 5 times over. (Not extraction) This MIGHT work if they do not try to force in the jump scares. THey really need to make the person feel alone and well..ya just alone. And not have any of that super over powered one many army stuff. You are a weak frail human vs the army of undead creatures. From big to small they all want you dead.  

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Afroman269

Please don't make it an FPS. Please don't .

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

@msavo said:

I've read the book and watched the movies so I'm a pretty big fan that will probably get anything Dead Space related :P

No, same here. Books, comics, and seen the films (one of which multiple times). The only thing I really disliked when it comes to Dead Space though was Ignition, I still have yet to play the iPhone/iPad game, though I know what it's all about.

Avatar image for dancingpolkabear
    dancingpolkabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By dancingpolkabear

I'm fine with most of what they do, but the idea of playing Dead Space 3 co-operatively doesn't sound that great to me. Hopefully that's a separate mode and not the single-player

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RE_Player1

@NTM: Ignition was horrible but I don't consider that anything more than a pre-order bonus, although it was cool how the end of that is the start of 2 and they did do a good job with those special rooms. For the iPad/iPhone game I thought it was really neat and actually tells a nice short story. I got it for 99 cents though so it's pretty hard to be disappointed in something that cheap.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

@The_Laughing_Man: I've beaten the first about eight times on PS3 and once more on PC, though I guess I took it slow because I played it from its release to the seconds release on and off, and I've beaten Dead Space 2 about ten times now. I don't know, I think both work very well with what they do, I think they just need to mix what they have from both to get the right balance. To me though, they're almost perfect for my interests. I'm still playing Dead Space 2 on and off.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By lego_my_eggo

I already felt Dead Space 2 had a sort of Uncharted feel to it with some of the great set pieces, the pace of the story and the quality of the game overall, but if they add too much action/characters to the game then they risk losing the atmosphere that the previous games where good at. And a generic FPS or a flight game with the Dead Space name on it are definitely not what i am looking for, That just looks like EA trying to milk the franchise like Need For Speed with all those games.

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By moelarrycurly

Still waiting for that Dead Space / Mass Effect crossover.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I fucking loved DS1, but found DS2 to be a bit of a chore to play through near the end. It could use some changes to the formula, but probably not this.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

@moelarrycurly said:

Still waiting for that Dead Space / Mass Effect crossover.

Ha ha, yes, very much so. I can't believe they didn't have some sort of DLC. Maybe my Shepard could where one of Isaac's suits, or vice versa. Something as simple as that would make me happy-er.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

I already felt Dead Space 2 had a sort of Uncharted feel to it with some of the great set pieces, the pace of the story and the quality of the game overall, but if they add too much action/characters to the game then they risk losing the atmosphere that the previous games where good at. And a generic FPS or a flight game with the Dead Space name on it are definitely not what i am looking for, That just looks like EA trying to milk the franchise like Need For Speed with all those games.

I just hope anything that comes out of Dead Space, it's not like Alien 3 and Resurrection was to Alien and Aliens. I hope it's consistently as good as they have been.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the first Dead Space, but when they made the rail shooter and then started talking about how they were making Dead Space 2 more actiony, I lost interest in the series real fucking quick. Making the next one an FPS seems like the natural next step in the direction this series has been headed.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

@Soapy86: Have you played the second?

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By audiosnow

They won't actually do it. Nearly every unique aspect in Dead Space requires the current player perspective.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that. They won't do that for DS3. They very well may for any bastard sequels.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NTM: Nope.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Faint

One of the series' strengths for me is the over the shoulder perspective. I'm very fond of it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By toowalrus

@MikeGosot said:

@Hailinel said:

Hopefully not- maybe it would be kind of mirrors-edgey.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NTM

@Soapy86: Awww, that's too bad. It's a fantastic game.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By captain_clayman

noooooooo, if they do that it'll just turn into boring shooter!  dead space 2 was already too much about action to be as awesome as dead space 1 was for me.  they should try and make DS3 legitimately scary instead of just intense.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By phish09

I actually thought Dead Space 2 was pretty Uncharted-like. I don't know if I think that Dead Space 3 should be a First Person game, but I also think that first person horror games are way scarier than third person ones.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By Sooperspy

Need to see some gameplay before I decide if I hate or love this idea.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bybeach

I got a sinking feeling when a bunch of, I'll say it, suits, deliberated in a boardroom room and nearly killed Deep Space 3. As for the FPS mode I'm sure it can be done, but an FPS just doesn't seem right. Personal opinion.

But mostly, it's having EA either determining to monetize it or kill it that really makes me so sad. Sure money can lead to some good (ie good dev personnel, capital investment), but even more that is bad. Because nothing will be as important as to beat the last buck out of a 'Brand'. Not the Story, not the experience of a given individual, Issac in a unique Sci fi Horror survivor setting. Or even other individuals in other modes and such. But rather how many different ways can EA can make a fucking buck . I really enjoyed both Deep Space games, I felt there was focus on the franchise. Now I feel thats been put aside for the Brand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NTM: I'm sure it's great, but what that game is, isn't really what I want out of a horror game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Guys, Dead Space 1 was an action game.

Also, action games aren't bad.

The FPS and 'action-adventure' (so like... they're adding jumping and a hookshot?) seem like it would take advantage of dead space stuff (which is to say, horrible monsters and aiming at limbs). The flight game? I want a great space action flight game... but Dead Space's ships were never the cool part. Give me that space action flight game in Mass Effect. Let me play Joker's Quest!

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By JTB123

Terrible idea, keep it third person, that's really all I have to say. Dead Space has some of the cleanest gameplay ever, why they would even consider altering that is crazy to me.

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

im sick of spin offs and sequels

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By spankingaddict

As a big Dead Space fan , I'd be excited to see what direction they'd take with it being a FPS .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Brodehouse said:

Guys, Dead Space 1 was an action game.

Indeed it was. I personally felt it was too actiony for a horror game, but I loved it in spite of that.

Also, action games aren't bad.

Did anyone say they were?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Soapy86 the clear implication in this topic is more action = less quality. It's kind of been going around here lately that action games are for dummies.

Also, this strange idea also going around that horror is a gameplay genre and not just a thematic element like scifi or fantasy. Action is a genre, horror is a theme.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NTM

Has anyone read the stuff in the link? Dead Space 3 isn't going to be FPS, or like Uncharted, those are the other rumored to be Dead Space games, not Dead Space 3.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AngriGhandi

Read the article. Not super thrilled. A Dead Space game without zero gravity and vacuum segments sounds like throwing out half the goddamn premise to me.

And I already feel like Dead Space 2 went too far in the set-piece, roller-coaster-y direction. Fun to play, but less evocative. Less interesting. Certainly less scary. It didn't even feel like you were in space half the time. They should not be going further in that direction.

I would much rather they take the original game's concept of exploring and surviving in a single cohesive, well-realized location, and do more with that. Make it the Arkham Asylum of survival horror, or something. More open-endedness. More gameplay systems. More vacuum.

Granted, they could still do that on an ice planet, make it kind of like The Thing-- which certainly would fit in with the aesthetic. But god dammit, space.

I want more space.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Brodehouse said:

@Soapy86 the clear implication in this topic is more action = less quality.

Well, I'm not going to speak for anyone but myself, but for me it's not about "more action = less quality", but more of "more action in a horror game = a horror game Soapy doesn't want to play"

It's kind of been going around here lately that action games are for dummies.

That's a common opinion, but I don't think it's one without some merit. Action games aren't inherently bad or dumb, but you would be blind if you didn't notice that publishers pander to... "a broader audience" with promises of lots of action and combat. See the promotion and marketing of nearly every AAA game. Action games aren't necessarily for dummies, but they certainly have a way of attracting them.

Having said that, I haven't noticed that attitude here on Giant Bomb very much.

Also, this strange idea also going around that horror is a gameplay genre and not just a thematic element like scifi or fantasy. Action is a genre, horror is a theme.

You're right that horror isn't a genre, but I think as a theme it suits other genres much, much better than action games. The problem with action horror games is that most of them aren't scary, and it's like they don't even try to be. They're all just third person shooters with dark lighting and extra gore.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By DarkShaper

The only way I would play a Dead Space flight game would be if I fought Voltron like monsters and had to cut off their robot limbs. The other stuff has me at a wait and see feeling.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bybeach

Another thing, the snow world. I objected to that in a proposed sequel for another game, because to me covering everything in snow and making the world view obscure is actually kind of lazy. Sure you can't see whats coming if everything is smooth white mounds and you can't see 3 ft in front of you. You can have weird shit pop out all night, long but it is not really very creative.

Have to admit though, I haven't actually seen Dead Space 3...

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MikeGosot
    @TooWalrus said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Hailinel said:

Hopefully not- maybe it would be kind of mirrors-edgey.

Well, if they are trying to kill the series, QTE's would be the weapon of choice.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I'm not big on this idea. Just stick with what works EA. Turning Dead Space into a FPS will not take down Call of Duty.

Sawboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sawboss

I don't like EA's ideas but I'm not sure what else to do with franchise after 3. I definitely don't think changing genres is the right choice though. If anything maybe going more open is the right choice, perhaps keep perspective the same, but not a linear.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.