Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space Extraction

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 28, 2009

A prequel to Dead Space, Extraction tells the story of the original Necromorph outbreak on the USG Ishimura. The game trades the original's third-person action for a hectic on-rails shooter from a first-person perspective.

The boxart.. why?

• 65 results
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Meowayne

Explain this to me. Someone drew this and thought it was a good idea. Someone designed the box and thought it was a good idea. Someone looked at the final thing and thought it was a good idea to approve it. Someone must have had the power to review that decision and still thought it was a good idea.

My brain hurts.
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Not the best but I've seen far worse to complain about.  I still can't believe Left 4 Dead 1 and now 2 have that cover.  Couldn't be more boring for a crazy game.  And I get the simple thing they were going for but it was just ugly.  Dead Space hit that simple style but still had great box art.

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

tentacles.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By ahoodedfigure

What do you not like about the cover, specifically?

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By DCFGS3

I like subtle reference to tentacle grape.

lolwot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lolwot

deleted

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By PercyChuggs

Still better than The Conduit.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Player1
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    " Not the best but I've seen far worse to complain about.  I still can't believe Left 4 Dead 1 and now 2 have that cover.  Couldn't be more boring for a crazy game.  And I get the simple thing they were going for but it was just ugly.  Dead Space hit that simple style but still had great box art. "
    I have a friend at gamestop who claims that the L4D cover sold multiple copies just for being so gory. So I wouldn't be so quick to diss that one. 
    CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I think it looks fine

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By neoepoch
    @Player1 said:
    "
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    " Not the best but I've seen far worse to complain about.  I still can't believe Left 4 Dead 1 and now 2 have that cover.  Couldn't be more boring for a crazy game.  And I get the simple thing they were going for but it was just ugly.  Dead Space hit that simple style but still had great box art. "
    I have a friend at gamestop who claims that the L4D cover sold multiple copies just for being so gory. So I wouldn't be so quick to diss that one. 
    "
    Then why didn't Dead Space sell more copies? It has an ever gorier box cover.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By Icemael

You ask why? Well, since the game isn't going to be nearly as good as the original Dead Space, the boxart couldn't be as good as that of the original game either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that box art is pretty...not-dead space. Looks cartoony.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By luce
    @Icemael said:
    " You ask why? Well, since the game isn't going to be nearly as good as the original Dead Space, the boxart couldn't be as good as that of the original game either. "
    as much as i hate the wii and on-rails shooters i wouldn't pass judgment on the game just yet
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude

Do you get to play as a female character in the game?

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By clubsandwich

looks really gay

Scieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Scieran
    @Meowayne said:
    " Explain this to me. Someone drew this and thought it was a good idea. Someone designed the box and thought it was a good idea. Someone looked at the final thing and thought it was a good idea to approve it. Someone must have had the power to review that decision and still thought it was a good idea.My brain hurts. "
    Is that a rhetorical question?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By HandsomeDead

I know what you mean, Meowayne, I can't even see 'Party' anywhere on there.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fr0br0

I think it captures the horror aspect of the game pretty well. Chick about to be raped by tentacles. And it has that badass plasma cutter right in the center.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Icemael
    @luce said:
    "
    @Icemael said:
    " You ask why? Well, since the game isn't going to be nearly as good as the original Dead Space, the boxart couldn't be as good as that of the original game either. "
    as much as i hate the wii and on-rails shooters i wouldn't pass judgment on the game just yet "
    I think it's possible that the game could be good, or maybe even great. It's just that judging from everything we've seen and heard so far(and I'm pretty sure we've seen enough to make a fairly accurate approximation of the game's quality), the game won't even come close to the first one.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By agentboolen

Its due to the Wii's younger audience.  There was no way they were going to be able to get a much darker tone (like the 1st game) past parents so they went for this aggressive looking girl shooting like crazy at the aliens cover.  I'm still question how good this sequel will be compared to the 1st game, could go either way.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Icemael
    @agentboolen said:
    " Its due to the Wii's younger audience.  There was no way they were going to be able to get a much darker tone (like the 1st game) past parents so they went for this aggressive looking girl shooting like crazy at the aliens cover.  I'm still question how good this sequel will be compared to the 1st game, could go either way. "
    The game isn't targeted at a younger audience. Dismemberment and excessive amounts of blood... doesn't sound child-friendly to me.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Icemael said:
    "
    @agentboolen said:
    " Its due to the Wii's younger audience.  There was no way they were going to be able to get a much darker tone (like the 1st game) past parents so they went for this aggressive looking girl shooting like crazy at the aliens cover.  I'm still question how good this sequel will be compared to the 1st game, could go either way. "
    The game isn't targeted at a younger audience. Dismemberment and excessive amounts of blood... doesn't sound child-friendly to me.
    "
    It's still on the Wii though.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Remember this boys?
    Remember this boys?

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By VWGTI

I wonder what the American box art will look like.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Lies
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    "
    Remember this boys?
    Remember this boys?
    "
    I love Megaman boxart.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @HandsomeDead said:
    "
    @Icemael said:
    "
    @agentboolen said:
    "
    It's still on the Wii though. "
    So was MadWorld.
    What is your point?
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Lies said:
    "
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    "
    Remember this boys?
    Remember this boys?
    "
    I love Megaman boxart. "
    It has absolutely nothing to do with the game!
    1. Mega Man does not hold a gun.
    2. Mega Man's helmet has no visor.
    3. Meg Man is very clearly a boy.
    4. Is that Dr. Light hiding behind a Robot Master in the back? WTF
    Just a few things that are wrong with this picture.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    "
    @HandsomeDead said:
    "
    @Icemael said:
    "
    @agentboolen said:
    "
    So was MadWorld.What is your point? "
    MadWorld was 100% baditude that was clearly going for the 13 year old metalhead stereotype even though both that and Dead Space: Extraction have an 18 certificate and I imagine this is doing the same. Just look at the cover: Hot anime looking chick, cool lazer gun and some tentacles suggesting there's some badass grotesque monster. Put it this way, both Bad Boys II and Schindler's List are both rated 18 in the UK but one of them is clearly more mature than the other.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By toowalrus

Ha, I like it, man.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By agentboolen
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    "
    @HandsomeDead said:
    "
    @Icemael said:
    "
    @agentboolen said:
    "
    Wow and I thought no one would read my post!!!  Thanks I'm very happy to be noticed   =)

Now lets face it the Wii is a kids system, yes I'm 27 and I someone manage to buy a copy...  Haven't bought anything other then Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, House of the Dead 2&3, and Wii Fit (for the wife).  But basically the system is a kids toy, and by kids toy I mean an audience anywhere from 5 - 16.  Its for the kids that are too young to buy a Xbox 360 so they have to leave it up to there parents and guess what they buy them the family friendly Wii...  At least this is the reason my 16 year old cousin has the system. 

Now for Deadspace I just don't think it sold as well as EA wanted it too.  The fact is for the Xbox 360 1 player games are a dying breed, if it doesn't have online mulitplayer it doesn't sell.  Now I think EA still believes in this series and thats why there trying to sell it on the Wii, that systems online basically blows and they now 1 player games sell on it.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @agentboolen said:
    "
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    "
    @HandsomeDead said:
    "
    @Icemael said:
    "
    @agentboolen said:
    "
    Wow and I thought no one would read my post!!!  Thanks I'm very happy to be noticed   =)Now lets face it the Wii is a kids system, yes I'm 27 and I someone manage to buy a copy...  Haven't bought anything other then Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, House of the Dead 2&3, and Wii Fit (for the wife).  But basically the system is a kids toy, and by kids toy I mean an audience anywhere from 5 - 16.  Its for the kids that are too young to buy a Xbox 360 so they have to leave it up to there parents and guess what they buy them the family friendly Wii...  At least this is the reason my 16 year old cousin has the system.  Now for Deadspace I just don't think it sold as well as EA wanted it too.  The fact is for the Xbox 360 1 player games are a dying breed, if it doesn't have online mulitplayer it doesn't sell.  Now I think EA still believes in this series and thats why there trying to sell it on the Wii, that systems online basically blows and they now 1 player games sell on it. "
    if they wanted to release a kid's game they would have made Dead Space Totally Party or Dead Space Kart Racer. The M rating shows this is not marketed towards kids. Just because the system has a lot of children marketed games does not mean every game has to be kiddy bullshit. Any publisher can release any game they want for the Wii.
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By dsplayer1010

Wow

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Diamond
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    It has absolutely nothing to do with the game!1. Mega Man does not hold a gun.2. Mega Man's helmet has no visor.3. Meg Man is very clearly a boy.4. Is that Dr. Light hiding behind a Robot Master in the back? WTFJust a few things that are wrong with this picture. "
    I like it when boxart does that because it lets me imagine if the game was completely different.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By agentboolen
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    "
    @agentboolen said:
    "
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    "
    @HandsomeDead said:
    "
    @Icemael said:
    "
    @agentboolen said:
    "
    Wow and I thought no one would read my post!!!  Thanks I'm very happy to be noticed   =)Now lets face it the Wii is a kids system, yes I'm 27 and I someone manage to buy a copy...  Haven't bought anything other then Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, House of the Dead 2&3, and Wii Fit (for the wife).  But basically the system is a kids toy, and by kids toy I mean an audience anywhere from 5 - 16.  Its for the kids that are too young to buy a Xbox 360 so they have to leave it up to there parents and guess what they buy them the family friendly Wii...  At least this is the reason my 16 year old cousin has the system.  Now for Deadspace I just don't think it sold as well as EA wanted it too.  The fact is for the Xbox 360 1 player games are a dying breed, if it doesn't have online mulitplayer it doesn't sell.  Now I think EA still believes in this series and thats why there trying to sell it on the Wii, that systems online basically blows and they now 1 player games sell on it. "
    if they wanted to release a kid's game they would have made Dead Space Totally Party or Dead Space Kart Racer. The M rating shows this is not marketed towards kids. Just because the system has a lot of children marketed games does not mean every game has to be kiddy bullshit. Any publisher can release any game they want for the Wii. "
    Kiddy Bullshit has grown up is all I can say.  You play a copy of Halo 3 and guess how many 13 year olds are screaming at you.  I would say this is for anyone in the age of 13 & older.  There not aimed for younger kids but EA nows that there are parents that don't care what there kid plays.  For my cousin every X-mas I want to buy him Resident Evil 4 (since the gamecube) and his mom is definetly not allowing it, "a good parent".  He is 16 now and I know next X-mas when he is 17 It still wont fly because his sister is going to be 15.  For a parent that cares yes this game won't get sold, but for a lot of parents that don't pay attention 13 year olds will get it and EA like many other evil publishers are going to take advantage of it.  It might not be right, but it happens. 

Hell man I remember when I was buying GTA3 on the PS2 what 5 years ago there was a parent with there 13 year old actually buying him the game.  Did she care what the rating was?  Should I have told her?  Was it my business?  Did the cashier not sell her the game? Well the kid got the game and was noticably happy about it.  Another example I was a 13 year old that grew up on R rated slasher movies.  Some parents just don't care, some parents believe there kids are mature enought to get it.
    papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By papercut

Worst first date EVER

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By buzz_clik
    @JeffGoldblum: That's not even the worst Mega Man boxart - not by a long chalk. THIS IS.

As for this Dead Space art, I certainly don't think it does anything particularly heinous at all. The big problem I have with it (and this may just be my own problem to get past) is that it's too reminiscent of the Alien Syndrome artwork for the same system...
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buzz_clik said:
    " @JeffGoldblum: That's not even the worst Mega Man boxart - not by a long chalk. THIS IS.

As for this Dead Space art, I certainly don't think it does anything particularly heinous at all. The big problem I have with it (and this may just be my own problem to get past) is that it's too reminiscent of the Alien Syndrome artwork for the same system... "
    That Mega Man box art always makes me laugh.  Looks like it was drawn by a kid in elementary school.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Akeldama
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    "
    Remember this boys?
    Remember this boys?
    "
    Exactly. Stop your complaining. 
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud: I know, it's like its the raddest piece of art ever to grace the front of a fridge.
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buzz_clik said:
    " @Stephen_Von_Cloud: I know, it's like its the raddest piece of art ever to grace the front of a fridge. "
    or a notebook, haha.  It really always reminds me of some stuff I used to draw back in the day before I understood perspective and depth and.. well how to fucking draw.  His bow legs and jacked up gun aim are the worst examples on that image (nevermind the fact that megaman doesn't even have a handgun).  Holy crap.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By agentboolen
    @Icemael said:
    "
    @agentboolen said:
    "
    Yes you have a point Dismemberment and excessive amounts of blood aren't for kids, but there also not on the box art.  Sneaky how EA plays huh   =)
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By CL60

I don't see whats so bad about it.

Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By Win
    Here you go EA/Nintendo, I just did the hard part for you.

Now make it happen.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Black_Rose

Looks like someone's about to get raped.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#45  Edited By AgentJ
    @HandsomeDead said:
    "
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    "
    @HandsomeDead said:
    "
    @Icemael said:
    "
    @agentboolen said:
    "
    MadWorld was 100% baditude that was clearly going for the 13 year old metalhead stereotype even though both that and Dead Space: Extraction have an 18 certificate and I imagine this is doing the same. Just look at the cover: Hot anime looking chick, cool lazer gun and some tentacles suggesting there's some badass grotesque monster. Put it this way, both Bad Boys II and Schindler's List are both rated 18 in the UK but one of them is clearly more mature than the other. "
    So in this example, what game would be the schindler's list? Only ones i can think of are the team ico games and psychonauts
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By Claude
    @Win said:
    "

Now make it happen.
    "
    Win
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    @HandsomeDead said:
    "
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    "
    @HandsomeDead said:
    "
    @Icemael said:
    "
    @agentboolen said:
    "
    MadWorld was 100% baditude that was clearly going for the 13 year old metalhead stereotype even though both that and Dead Space: Extraction have an 18 certificate and I imagine this is doing the same. Just look at the cover: Hot anime looking chick, cool lazer gun and some tentacles suggesting there's some badass grotesque monster. Put it this way, both Bad Boys II and Schindler's List are both rated 18 in the UK but one of them is clearly more mature than the other. "
    So in this example, what game would be the schindler's list? Only ones i can think of are the team ico games and psychonauts
    "
    I don't know, it wasn't a direct comparison I was making. I was just saying that just because things are rated 18, it doesn't mean they are just for adults. GTA IV is the only one I can think of that has some kind of actual maturity to it, so I suppose that could be a good example of genuine maturity in a game.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By get2sammyb

Yeah. That's some pretty downright horrible boxart there.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KillaMaStA
    @Claude said:
    "
    @Win said:
    "

Now make it happen.
    "
    Win "
    YES!

Now fit "party" in there somewhere and you have a proper Wii cover..
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Endogene
    @KillaMaStA said:
    "
    @Claude said:
    "
    @Win said:
    ""
    Win "
    YES! Now fit "party" in there somewhere and you have a proper Wii cover.. "
    Eh?

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.