Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space Extraction

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 28, 2009

A prequel to Dead Space, Extraction tells the story of the original Necromorph outbreak on the USG Ishimura. The game trades the original's third-person action for a hectic on-rails shooter from a first-person perspective.

Dead Space: Extraction - Just over 9000 sold in five days.

• 65 results
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Claude

Here's what I've read. IGN, Joystiq, Gamasutra, and Gamestop

9,200 copies of Dead Space Extraction sold in its five days of September.

I don't see a big deal. The Wii has a history of games continuing to sell, actually I trade in a lot of games. The Wii games get the biggest return.

The observation of "not enough marketing" well, that's subjective. How much did this game cost to develop? Not as much as the original Dead Space, guaranteed. Low cost, not much marketing equals good for the Wii. I like my developers to keep their expectations low. 

It's still going to be a money maker. It's on my holiday list for sure... if not sooner, much like the original.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By sjschmidt93

The point is that hardcore third party games don't sell on the Wii. Pretty big deal.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai

Fucking OUCH!  

Wii games that are intended for hardcore crowd that donnot have the name Zelda or Mario on the cover are still struggling. 9000 copies in one week is bad. 

CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By CSXLoser

hope it will pull a Valkyria.

I dont think EA wants a 2nd underselling Dead Space game :\

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

Funny, all the people that would otherwise ridicule the game as casual rail shovelware will now call it uber hardcore to once again bash the Wii...

Anyway, maybe EA could like, advertise it? Most people don't even know it's out, and the cover isn't exactly enticing the average in store buyer...

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By citizenjp

Hahaha that sucks. Silly Wii.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Claude
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " The point is that hardcore third party games don't sell on the Wii. Pretty big deal. "
    You noticed that too. I think it has to do with the return, the money made. Sure, it's a test to see if the so called "hardcore first week buyers" get the game, but it's the long run with low investment that counts. That's the way I see it. Third parties are doing fine on the Wii.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mordukai
    @CSXLoser said:
    " hope it will pull a Valkyria.  I dont think EA wants a 2nd underselling Dead Space game :\ "
    Dead Space wasn't that of an underseller. Dead Space was a perfect example of bad timing. Just google it and see which game came out when Dead Space came out. Besides, Dead Space sold over a million unites. True it's not what EA have hoped but they still sold and made money off of it.  According to EA, Dead Space: Extraction is an experiment to see how EA are going to handle the Wii.   

Since when does selling over a million unites considered a failure or an under performer? I missed that meeting. 
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Black_Rose

Did anyone really expect this to sell well?

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By DanielJW

Sucky.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

You practically begged for it... 

Nappa: Vegeta, what does the Scouter say about how many copies 
    Dead Space Extraction sold? 
    Vegeta: It's Over 9000!!!! 
    Nappa: WHAT??? Only 9000??!!

But yeah, seriously, that game has pretty much no audience at all. 

CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CSXLoser
    @Mordukai said:
    " @CSXLoser said:
    " hope it will pull a Valkyria.  I dont think EA wants a 2nd underselling Dead Space game :\ "
    Dead Space wasn't that of an underseller. Dead Space was a perfect example of bad timing. Just google it and see which game came out when Dead Space came out. Besides, Dead Space sold over a million unites. True it's not what EA have hoped but they still sold and made money off of it.  According to EA, Dead Space: Extraction is an experiment to see how EA are going to handle the Wii.    Since when does selling over a million unites considered a failure or an under performer? I missed that meeting.  "
    sorry thats what i meant. Didnt sell to EA's expectations
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Jeust
    @Emandudeguyperson said:

" You practically begged for it... 

Nappa: Vegeta, what does the scouter say about how many copies Dead Space Extraction sold??   
    Nappa: Vegeta, what does the scouter say about how many copies Dead Space Extraction sold??   
    But yeah, seriously, that game has pretty much no audience at all. "
    "It's over nine thousand! Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!" XD
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By Willy105

First of all, every bit of that is EA's fault for completely failing to advertise it. IF YOU WANT YOUR GAME TO SELL, PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW IT EXIST. It's that simple. Always has been.

And two, Dead Space Extraction is a success story compared to other bombs this month, like Gran Turismo, Motorstorm PSP, and Spyborgs.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

@Willy105: Gran Turismo didn't sell???? HUH????
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dalai

Hey, at least it was no Spyborgs.  That sold only 500 copies according to NPD!  That's an accomplishment right there.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Godwind

I don't hate the genre but I don't feel like I need another "light gun on-rails game".  As it stands, I have House of the Dead: Overkill, House of the Dead 2 and 3 return, Ghost Squad, Link's Crossbow Training.  All of which I bought in a short amount of time between each other.  In addition, Dead Space: Extraction is intended to be more of a solitary experience (Yes, I know Dead Space Extraction has Co-Op).  I prefer playing Light Gun Games with a buddy.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By oldschool
    @Godwind said:
    " I don't hate the genre but I don't feel like I need another "light gun on-rails game".  As it stands, I have House of the Dead: Overkill, House of the Dead 2 and 3 return, Ghost Squad, Link's Crossbow Training.  All of which I bought in a short amount of time between each other.  In addition, Dead Space: Extraction is intended to be more of a solitary experience (Yes, I know Dead Space Extraction has Co-Op).  I prefer playing Light Gun Games with a buddy. "
    The co-op mode sounds awesome from what I read.  I am certainly in the market for it, but being a budget buyer, I I am waiting for abetter price than $90.  I am having fun with on-rails shooters and I can't see the argument of too many, the 360 is full of literally tons of FPS and what does that mean?  Nothing.  I agree with anyone who calls this a failure of marketing.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

As someone that bought the game a few days after its release (yes, I'm one of those 9,000) and having played through the story and some of challenge mode, I can attest that it's a fun game.  It's also a decent length, has some good visuals and an interesting (if predictable) story.  There were also some parts of the game that legitimately gave me a scare.  It's actually one of the better games in the genre and does some really cool things.

And I really don't see any reason for criticizing EA for putting the game out on the Wii.  It certainly appeals more to me than the myriad MySims games that they've been shitting out.  The sales are disappointing, but I really only say that because other games in the genre including House of the Dead 2&3 and Umbrella Chronicles were both million sellers.  Not something you see too often for rail shooters on any platform.  Even HotD:  Overkill managed to sell to fair expectations.  Given the history of this genre on the Wii, EA had no reason to believe that this game would fail to sell big numbers based on its genre alone.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldschool
    @Hailinel said:
    " As someone that bought the game a few days after its release (yes, I'm one of those 9,000) and having played through the story and some of challenge mode, I can attest that it's a fun game.  It's also a decent length, has some good visuals and an interesting (if predictable) story.  There were also some parts of the game that legitimately gave me a scare.  It's actually one of the better games in the genre and does some really cool things.  "
    How is the co-op?
    insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By insanejedi
    Gamespot
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hailinel
    @oldschool said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " As someone that bought the game a few days after its release (yes, I'm one of those 9,000) and having played through the story and some of challenge mode, I can attest that it's a fun game.  It's also a decent length, has some good visuals and an interesting (if predictable) story.  There were also some parts of the game that legitimately gave me a scare.  It's actually one of the better games in the genre and does some really cool things.  "
    How is the co-op? "
    I don't know.  I've only played the single-player.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Diamond

Did House of the Dead 2 & 3 get a lot of advertising?  Because I never saw an ad for that.  The difference between several million and 9 thousand seems crazy to me, ads or not.  HOTD 2 & 3 was just 2 ports as well...

The only thing I can figure is more people were willing to try something new when HOTD2&3 came out, but over time the rail shooter market on Wii has gotten over saturated.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By jakob187

Well, they did better than my personal expectations.  =  /

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By oldschool
    @Hailinel said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    How is the co-op? "
    I don't know.  I've only played the single-player. "
    Got no friends huh  xD 

Sadly, without my daughters I have no-one to play against either.  I may have to kidnap someone and make a games basement when they leave  ^_^ 
    House of Dead: Overkill has been an absolute revelation when it comes to shooting fun with a 2nd player.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hailinel
    @Diamond said:
    " Did House of the Dead 2 & 3 get a lot of advertising?  Because I never saw an ad for that.  The difference between several million and 9 thousand seems crazy to me, ads or not.  HOTD 2 & 3 was just 2 ports as well...  The only thing I can figure is more people were willing to try something new when HOTD2&3 came out, but over time the rail shooter market on Wii has gotten over saturated. "
    House of the Dead is also an established name dating back to the arcades.  Dead Space as a franchise consisted of exactly one game prior to Extraction, and that game was a completely different genre.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r

Thanks for that last post Mordukai because it contradicts your first considering House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return, another lightgun shooter on Wii, sold a million copies. I guess "hardcore" (since that's what you called this, same genre) games that aren't Mario or Zelda can sell on Wii eh? Clearly there are other factors to consider about this game's lack of sales than the sub standard generic and ignorant "it's the Wii" response.

@oldschool said:

I may have to kidnap someone and make a games basement when they leave  ^_^"

Pick me pick me.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel
    @oldschool said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    How is the co-op? "
    I don't know.  I've only played the single-player. "
    Got no friends huh  xD  Sadly, without my daughters I have no-one to play against either.  I may have to kidnap someone and make a games basement when they leave  ^_^ House of Dead: Overkill has been an absolute revelation when it comes to shooting fun with a 2nd player. "
    I live in a tiny shoebox of an apartment.  I rarely have guests over because it's too small.  Hopefully I'll be able to drag more people into co-op after I move next month. :P
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By oldschool
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @oldschool said:
    I may have to kidnap someone and make a games basement when they leave  ^_^"
    Pick me pick me. "
    I am a bit worried about the Greek thing  ^_^ 

Maybe I should kidnap Brad or Jeff and recreate Misery  xD
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By Cornman89

I'm not surprised it didn't fly off the shelves, but... 9000 sounds even lower than what I had imagined the sales figures would be. Being a Wii owner who didn't buy it, I can't speak as to its quality, but yeah, considering the light gun rail-shooter's history on the Wii, I expected bigger numbers than this.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel

To be fair, five days is not really a good indicator of how a game is going to sell unless its something like Smash Bros. or Halo.  Sales may very well have picked up since then.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cornman89

Good point. Especially with December coming up.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Claude
    @Hailinel said:
    " As someone that bought the game a few days after its release (yes, I'm one of those 9,000) and having played through the story and some of challenge mode, I can attest that it's a fun game.  It's also a decent length, has some good visuals and an interesting (if predictable) story.  There were also some parts of the game that legitimately gave me a scare.  It's actually one of the better games in the genre and does some really cool things.  And I really don't see any reason for criticizing EA for putting the game out on the Wii.  It certainly appeals more to me than the myriad MySims games that they've been shitting out.  The sales are disappointing, but I really only say that because other games in the genre including House of the Dead 2&3 and Umbrella Chronicles were both million sellers.  Not something you see too often for rail shooters on any platform.  Even HotD:  Overkill managed to sell to fair expectations.  Given the history of this genre on the Wii, EA had no reason to believe that this game would fail to sell big numbers based on its genre alone. "
    MySims Agents looks pretty cool. It's moved up on my holiday "just get it list"... cost effective gameplay if you will.

Dead Space seems like a cool universe to play in. I enjoyed my Dead Space experience on my Xbox 360, so Dead Space Extraction is a must buy for my holiday buys.

You have to remember though, I'm still playing Tiger Woods 10, Dawn of Discovery "1401", not counting Majora's Mask which has finally found its way onto my Wii. 
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Meowayne

1. A promising looking Wii game is announced
    2. There is no advertising, no marketing whatsoever
    3. The games gets very positive reviews, but also very little reviews, and they get completely ignored
    4. There is no advertising, no marketing whatsoever 
    5. Some tens of thousands of those who actually read reviews and stuff pirate the game
    6. The game sells poorly
    7. Fanboys and publishers blame it on the Wii's audience
    8. repeat.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Guys, by the way, the original Dead Space is selling for $20 new on amazon right now. I'd totally recommend it.

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mhkjtha

It's a lightgun game. What do people expect?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Linkyshinks

Another woeful effort, from a company that claims they're serious about the Wii, and providing games for it's hardcore user-base. Such claims from EA are a load of bullshit of course, it's shitty sales speak from idiots at the highest level. If EA were truly serious in such statements, they would have backed this game up with a very solid advertising package, one akin to the one they offered the sport Activ range targeted at casual gamers. 

EA themselves are shit, definitely not this game, which is great lightgun game that offers much that's new and interesting in the genre.

@Meowayne said:

5. Some tens of thousands of those who actually read reviews and stuff pirate the game 

Make yourself feel better about constantly pirating games why don't you. 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Meowayne

mhkjtha: Read the thread. Other arcade shooters have performed very well on the console. This is a thing of marketing, not audience. "EA sports active" performed extremely well, not because of the consoles audience, or because of the game's quality, but because they gave a huge buckload of money to the marketing people and had a gigantic advertisement campaign.

linky: EA decided to push back the german release date so they have more time to censor the shit out of the game. I feel very comfortable with not paying them.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By Scooper

It's 9000 more copies then I'll ever buy.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By Slippy
    @Willy105 said:

"First of all, every bit of that is EA's fault for completely failing to advertise it. IF YOU WANT YOUR GAME TO SELL, PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW IT EXIST. It's that simple. Always has been.  And two, Dead Space Extraction is a success story compared to other bombs this month, like Gran Turismo, Motorstorm PSP, and Spyborgs. "

Except Gran Turismo and MotorStorm had another source of sales - PlayStation Network. NPD don't include download numbers in their totals.

I think at this point, third parties just need to give up on hardcore games for Wii. They simply don't sell. No ifs, no buts, no phoenix rising from the ashes crap.  It's casual or bust from here on out, i'm afraid, unless Sega, Capcom and EA want to continue sinking money into these so-called 'experiments'.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By natetodamax

That's pretty bad.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Teoball

I picked it up just to see what brad was talking about in the podcast. I even got a free zapper when I got it! :) 

I played until the end of chapter 9, said "ah, that's what he meant" and turned it off. Haven't touched the Wii since. 
    I did kinda enjoy it though, just had other games to play.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By Whisperkill

People say that mature games can sell on the wii, I have yet to see evidence of that...
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Willy105
    @Emandudeguyperson said:
    " @Willy105: Gran Turismo didn't sell???? HUH???? "
    Unfortunately, it didn't. In fact, most PSP software generally bombed this month, and the PSP Go did not have a very good premiere. The analysts are debating whteher this was due to it releasing late in the month, or just that the PSP Go is not pushing software, but either way, games with less time in the month have sold a lot more. Remember GTA4?

However, the NPD only reflect North American sales, in Japan, the games were great successes, so I wouldn't worry too much.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KamasamaK

This game is still being advertised the hell out of on Hulu. It's actually gotten annoying. I think I've seen it in a few other sites' videos as well. That's the only way I'd notice it, though, since I have Adblock Plus enabled on most sites.

Even though I didn't expect the game to be a big hit, this is much lower than I thought.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Willy105
    @Whisperkill said:
    " People say that mature games can sell on the wii, I have yet to see evidence of that... "
    They can. Just ones with proper advertising, and as little gore and violence as possible. You have no idea how much that turns off people who don't play games.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By Griddler

That doesn't surprise me.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HandsomeDead

Hilariously owned.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kohe321

Isn't this kinda similar to what happened to china town wars on the DS? More mature games doesn't sell well on Nintendo's systems. Developers know this, just look at the Wii and DS's game catalogue and see if you can spot a trend.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By Evilsbane

Wow that is shitty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.