Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Isaac Clarke, now aided by a soldier named John Carver, pursues the ominous threat of the Markers to the ice world Tau Volantis, now overrun with the terrifying Necromorphs, as well as the Human cultists who worship them.

"If you don't use X you're an idiot"

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Canteu

So, as of the bomcast, Patrick and Brad agreed that you have to use the shotgun or you're wrong.

Now since Patrick and Brad are wrong, as usual, what is your version of this statememt?

For me, I finished the game on impossible, first run, using nothing but the plasma cutter (and the ripper for when completely surrounded, but rarely)

"If you don't use a wide beam plasma cutter with suspended ripper, you're an idiot"

Elite compact, Plasma Core, Rip Core, The wide tip baby (can't remember the name), Default tip on the ripper, Stasis Support, Stasis Bullets, +2 Clip/Damage for all 8 slots.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

"If you don't have a dancer in your army, you're an idiot."

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, are they saying "you playing it wrong?"

Don't they call people out who does that?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By TheHT

If you don't use squad sight you're an idiot.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Canteu

@alexandersheen: The quote is in the title. They say you're an idiot if you don't use the shotgun, because they know how to play games better than us. On normal.

@theht said:

This is a factual statement.

But this thread was mostly a veiled, "what gun did you use", thread.

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@canteu said:

@alexandersheen: The quote is in the title. They say you're an idiot if you don't use the shotgun, because they know how to play games better than us. On normal.

@theht said:

This is a factual statement.

But this thread was mostly a veiled, "what gun did you use", thread.

I thought at least one of them went back on it and said that they saw on NeoGAF everyone in the thread was saying "if you didn't use X, you're doing it wrong" except X was different for everyone. The whole conversation seemed less than serious anyway, just them expressing that they found a weapon that worked extremely well and didn't need to/want to change it up.

My contribution is that if you aren't playing Adept, you're an idiot.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

"If you don't have a dancer in your army, you're an idiot."

A dancer? Only if I don't have enough quality characters for a full party. A heron prince or princess, on the other hand...

Am I talking about the right games?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@canteu said:

I got a huge laugh out of Patrick saying "but I play games on normal" in the most fucking entitled, whiny voice he could muster. If you want the Dead Space experience play on Hard or above. It's been that way since Dead Space 2.

On-Topic: I made a MK-V frame with the Super Duper Line Gun tip and added a rotating cuff. It made the most uber Plasma Cutter in the dead space series and I loved it. That shit tore necromorphs up.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

If you bought Dead Space 3 at full price, you're an...

...I'm not sure if I'm that mean or not.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

I was always creating new guns. Though for my first run in coop I mostly relied on my assault rifle w/ grenade launcher and shotgun w/ shockwave (or whatever the Contact Beam's alt fire is called). After some additional tinkering, my favourite gun that I've made is a force gun w/... that weird electrical projectile. With all of the circuits, the Force Gun in particular is pretty much a semi-automatic and can just go boom-boom-boom over and over. It's fucking beautiful.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

If you bought Dead Space 3 at full price, you're an...

...I'm not sure if I'm that mean or not.

About what I was coming in here to say...

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@oldirtybearon: since dead space 2? oh yes all those other games in between dead space 2 and 3 should have informed Patrick in the proper way to play them

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu said:

I got a huge laugh out of Patrick saying "but I play games on normal" in the most fucking entitled, whiny voice he could muster. If you want the Dead Space experience play on Hard or above. It's been that way since Dead Space 2.

Eh, I'd say that if you want the Dead Space experience, just play one of the other two again as Dead Space 3 is significantly easier than its predecessors. Though I admittedly haven't tried its Hardcore mode yet, but I don't think I want to because after only 2 playthroughs (in the middle of a third in Classic mode), I think I'll be spent. Even now just thinking about playing through all of the parts on the ice planet, or those crappy final 2 or so hours, or basically anything involving combat against the human enemies -- the mere prospect leaves me feeling exhausted.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

@pyromagnestir:

If I remember correctly, Tellius games don't have dancers, and the herons serve pretty much the same purpose. Besides, the ability to act twice can come in real handy in some tight situations.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mrsignerman44

Pulse rifle with a bouncing bolas 4 lyfe!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@oldirtybearon: since dead space 2? oh yes all those other games in between dead space 2 and 3 should have informed Patrick in the proper way to play them

Yeah it should have, since he boasted multiple playthroughs of the first two games.

I'm not a Dead Space 3 apologist. I like the game and I don't think it's as good as its predecessors, but listening to someone whine about difficulty being too easy when there are two (three if you count Hardcore) higher difficulties to choose from makes you sound like an entitled dick bag.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#17  Edited By pyromagnestir

@video_game_king:

Dancers can only reinvigorate one character per turn, herons can do up to 4. And herons are a bit more mobile as they can fly. If only you could slap a demi band on Reyson and keep him transformed at all times... When I bring a dancer more often than not they're falling behind the front lines and not really swaying affecting the battle all that much, which is why I don't bring them unless I'm rolling deep. Although maybe there are some games where the dancers can wake up more than one character?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@animasta said:

Yeah it should have, since he boasted multiple playthroughs of the first two games.

I'm not a Dead Space 3 apologist. I like the game and I don't think it's as good as its predecessors, but listening to someone whine about difficulty being too easy when there are two (three if you count Hardcore) higher difficulties to choose from makes you sound like an entitled dick bag.

maybe he assumed the game would be good enough to make him want to play through the harder difficulties?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King

@pyromagnestir:

No, they're always a one-person limit. I think Plum in Tear Ring Saga may have added some stat boosts to her dances, but I may be mixing her up with the far-less-useful singer in that game whose only trait I can remember being "eight year old girl with visible cleavage".

I keep my dancers near the action a lot of the time so that doesn't happen. Risky, but it pays off with an extra hit or heal or whatever.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@animasta said:

maybe he assumed the game would be good enough to make him want to play through the harder difficulties?

Except that's not what he said, at all. Don't try and re-frame the argument because you made an irrelevant point. It's unbecoming.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Space 3 sucks, that's the gist of this thread, can't think of anything clever.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@theht said:

If you use Snap Shot, which gives you a -20%aim penalty, you're an idiot.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Space 3 sucks, that's the gist of this thread, can't think of anything clever.

It doesn't suck, it's just highly flawed. The first... 6 or so hours are pretty good in fact.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

If you don't use buttons and analog sticks--or a mouse and keyboard, if that's your thing--you're an idiot.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By psylah

If you don't use intelligence you're an idiot.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@canteu: You do realize that Brad never said that right? In fact, he said that the developers did a great job with the crafting system because he's heard so many different variations of this statement....just saying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found it hysterical that Patrick says that "in DS3 there's no reason to use anything but the shotgun, whereas in the first two there were tactical reasons to use the other weapons". Either you are lying, or you're uninformed. Every encounter in the first two are close quarters in corridors; the Force Gun wrecks every enemy in those games. And is WAY more powerful than the shotguns in 3. If you're going to make the claim that 3 favors the shotgun too much, and that 1 and 2 didn't, you're not playing the same game as everyone else.

Anyways, I used a number of guns, but I kept going with the javelin mixed with the force gun. The force gun doesn't do much damage anymore, but it does trip just about everything, leaving them open to javelin shots.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spartyon: Well, he did, in fact, actually say that. Those words came out of his mouth. Just saying.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, come on. He wasn't saying that using a shotgun is the only right way to play. He was saying that it's overpowered.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're still playing mainstream console games on Normal, even though you know from experience that difficulty level is designed for people who can barely hold a controller, you're an idiot.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I never played the third one but in Dead Space one there was no reason to use anything but the plasma cutter. The line gun and ripper were alright too.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@notdavid said:

Oh, come on. He wasn't saying that using a shotgun is the only right way to play. He was saying that it's overpowered.

Well what Patrick did was generalize the entirety of the crafting system to a single correct solution based purely on his own gaming experience. Making these broad, sweeping statements, usually accented with a harsh bite at the end in the likes of "Metal Gear Solids mythos is complete shit" (I'm paraphrasing here) is something Patrick does quite often and should really get under control. Everyone is privy to their own opinions, but the way he phrases HIS often makes it sound like he's stating undeniable fact rather than his own personal outlook on the matter.

On topic: what he was saying is that there is no reason to use anything but the shotgun, which isn't really the case but it's really a matter of personal taste. The force gun has since the dawn of Dead Space time been largely overpowered and despite taking a ht on the damage rating, it still acts as the automatic "back off" button in DS3. I went through many different iterations of weapons during my playthrough, mainly because with so many options I can't imagine people really sticking to just one setup for the entirety of the game. The force gun was usually always on one of my guns though, much more than the shotgun. I personally enjoyed the electrified, bouncing, bola and force gun attachment coupled with a narrow beam plasma cutter and revolver combo.

Anywho, there is plenty of reason to use other weapons - if only to not be stuck with the same boring gun the entire game. Patrick phrased something very poorly and people rightfully got upset. It's not a big deal but until he learns to calm down a bit when speaking, and maybe leave a little wiggle room in his statements for other people to have their own opinions, then we'll just continue seeing these sort of threads over and over again.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

The "limited edition" weapons kind of broke the game for me. Super powerful shotgun for most things, assault rifle for cleanup or smaller things. I slapped upgrades and damage type mods as I went, but beyond that I used it from start to finish. Everything else I crafted was fun for a bit but overall inferior. The shotgun did so much damage that most things went down in one or two shots, and they throw so many enemies that move super quickly at you that careful dismemberment doesn't seem to really have a place anymore.

I suppose I could have not used them, but the game didn't seem to deserve that much extra effort in making it harder on myself. Really don't know why they keep wrecking the difficulty curve with pre-order bonuses. Though I think regardless the game is pretty easy unless you bump up the difficulty. I was selling off ammo and health nearly every bench I came to.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By EVO

Shotgun is way too slow.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dagbiker

Are we done talking about patrick? or would you like to continue to make general statements about how much you hate how patrick makes general statments? On topic; I used a combo of fast shooting guns for crowed control, and powerful slow weapons for damage.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NTM

I discovered the shotgun wasn't the best gun after a short while. That was the first 'powerful' gun I used, then I moved on to the rifle without a scope, and now I just use a rocket launcher weapon and a rifle. They're not the most powerful weapons in the game, but it gets the job done better than most.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Barrock

Anyone have any tips for making guns? I'm kind of overwhelmed and seemingly never have anything to craft. I've been doing all the side missions.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock: I'd suggest having the force gun attachment on at least one gun as a good keep away. Also carry some form of plasma cutter or fast firing weapon as a lot of boss encounters boil down to jiggly tentacles with weak spots that are difficult to hit with slow moving projectiles. Apart from that experiment and find the perfect fit for yourself. I found the bouncing bola's quite effective, especially in indoor areas.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

False, if you use X its a problem. Its a very serious drug.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@barrock: I'd suggest having the force gun attachment on at least one gun as a good keep away. Also carry some form of plasma cutter or fast firing weapon as a lot of boss encounters boil down to jiggly tentacles with weak spots that are difficult to hit with slow moving projectiles. Apart from that experiment and find the perfect fit for yourself. I found the bouncing bola's quite effective, especially in indoor areas.

I've been using a Planet Cracker and another that I thought was pre-built with a rifle on top and shotgun attachment. Are the force guns pretty easy to make?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:
    @humanity said:

I've been using a Planet Cracker and another that I thought was pre-built with a rifle on top and shotgun attachment. Are the force guns pretty easy to make?

Everything is easy to make really, you just have to play around with the different parts. As for the actual way to build it I can't recall exactly as I haven't played DS3 since beating it a while back. I believe it's a plasma core with a wide cone on a heavy frame, although I could be completely off. The diagram should show a wide area effect and the attachment itself won't deal almost any damage but it's great for knocking enemies back. You can put it on either top or bottom it makes no difference.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you don't have a dual flame thrower, you're an idiot.

fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Pulse rifle with the rocket launcher attachment (can't remember the name. Direct Expulsion something?) and "Safety Guard" attachment. It's so good that it's practically game-breaking.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.