Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead or Alive 5

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 25, 2012

Dead or Alive 5 is the seventh entry in the Dead or Alive fighting game franchise, introducing a new visual style, new game mechanics, and highly interactive stages.

I'm pretty impressed with character model improvements.

• 117 results
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#101  Edited By musubi

Seems that the floodgates have been released. Leaks came out showing Mila the other "new" fighter this time around and also confirming Gen-Fu as playble (not a huge surprise) as well as showing off many of the costumes in-game .http://imgur.com/a/qthhZ#0

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
    deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wow that actually makes me want to rent the game at least. DOA4 was one of the first 360 games I played.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#103  Edited By aleryn

Well look at that, for the first time their faces don't look up-rezzed from the Dreamcast version of DoA2. Good to see.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Tyrrael

Helena was actually my favorite character in DOA4, and I think her new character model looks fantastic. It actually looks pretty realistic and not just overly Japanese-ified like in DOA4. It didn't look bad, but the anime inspiration of many of the characters was pretty obvious. Now if only Team Ninja would take out that damn counter system. I will probably get some flac for this, but I get so tired of every match (in DOA4 anyway) just being a trial in who can spam counters the fastest and get lucky most often. They do way too much damage and give the computer a huge advantage too. I've died just from being countered to death without landing a single hit on a computer before. It doesn't matter how much you "change up" your attacks either. When the computer wants to counter, the computer gets to counter. It's the one reason that I just can't bring myself to play DOA4 anymore. I start to have fun and then it just becomes a counter-fest. I probably won't get DOA5, at least not right away, but I'm still curious to see how it turns out.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#105  Edited By onan

@Tyrrael said:

Helena was actually my favorite character in DOA4, and I think her new character model looks fantastic. It actually looks pretty realistic and not just overly Japanese-ified like in DOA4. It didn't look bad, but the anime inspiration of many of the characters was pretty obvious. Now if only Team Ninja would take out that damn counter system. I will probably get some flac for this, but I get so tired of every match (in DOA4 anyway) just being a trial in who can spam counters the fastest and get lucky most often. They do way too much damage and give the computer a huge advantage too. I've died just from being countered to death without landing a single hit on a computer before. It doesn't matter how much you "change up" your attacks either. When the computer wants to counter, the computer gets to counter. It's the one reason that I just can't bring myself to play DOA4 anymore. I start to have fun and then it just becomes a counter-fest. I probably won't get DOA5, at least not right away, but I'm still curious to see how it turns out.

They can't get rid of the counter system, that's a defining aspect of the game. It plays more or less like fast-paced rock, paper, scissors, with throws beating counters, counters beating attacks, and attacks beating throws. Granted, earlier iterations were weighted heavily toward countering because of the massive size of the counter window, but now it's much, much smaller, making it much harder to counter. Now I feel like it's shifted from maintaining the rock, paper, scissors gameplay to just existing to punish people who spam predictable attacks and isn't super-viable, especially with the further neutering of the counter by splitting mid-punches and mid-kicks into <-H and ->H, respectively (Although I'm pretty sure that was introduced in DOA4). Counters also don't do nearly as much damage as they used to.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#106  Edited By striderno9

@Demoskinos: @Demoskinos said:

@adam1808 said:

@Demoskinos said:

@ajamafalous said:

@adam1808 said:

@Demoskinos said:

@adam1808: Because they are fun and thats kind of the point of videogames?

Can they be fun in a way that won't make me hide the box when real people are visiting?

I lol'd, because, yeah, that's so true.

I guess that might be the case if you are really insecure.

I have boundless admiration for anyone who can explain why they like Dead or Alive to someone who doesn't play games and not be given a strange look.

I've never been ashamed of enjoying videogames, but there's a limit and DOA is it. If it's still a fun game then put those mechanics in a wrapper that isn't so pandering.

Dude, if you care about what other people think of you then you are insecure.

Agreed, what's the big deal. Hide this from people? I'm not 12.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By mrfluke

@StriderNo9 said:

@adam1808 said:

@Demoskinos said:

@ajamafalous said:

@adam1808 said:

@Demoskinos said:

Can they be fun in a way that won't make me hide the box when real people are visiting?

I have boundless admiration for anyone who can explain why they like Dead or Alive to someone who doesn't play games and not be given a strange look.

I've never been ashamed of enjoying videogames, but there's a limit and DOA is it. If it's still a fun game then put those mechanics in a wrapper that isn't so pandering.

Agreed, like seriously people like this, and the sensationalist press outlets that make such a big issue over these stupid things.........

"UHHHH. THE GIRLS HAVE BIG TITIES", ok, for the most part (with probably the exception of tina) most of the chicks pretty much have realistic proportions, they are not common everyday proportions but they are realistic, heck my brother once dated a girl that was the splitting image of Lisa.

"THE CHARACTERZ BOOBZ BOUNCE WEIRD" im gonna guess this was just a layover from past games and they just keep on doing it cause its part of Doa, cause like it or not, this stupid little thing to the very least contributed to the games success, and cmon take a step back and realize that its fake videogame chicks boobs bouncing, FAKE, NOT REAL, DIGITAL, IMAGINARY, anyone thats held a real chicks breast knows that they don't go all crazy like that.

if these reasons are seriously bothering you from playing the game then you are insecure and you need to leave the internet and experience life a bit more.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By mrfluke

with the way how reactionary this new team ninja is to fan feedback, i wouldnt be surprised if they removed the stupid bounce, or to the very least go full on weird and get truly "hands on" and get some Japanese AV chicks and put mo cap stuff on their chests and just come out and say "fuck you all we love boobs" XD

personally i dont care, im more glad that they cleared up the whole "hayate!, hayate!"  thing kasumi and ayane kept spouting in the previous games story modes cause that in the past games did come off creepy, (hence in this game ayane address hayate as "master hayate" and

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#109  Edited By JazGalaxy

@mrfluke said:

@StriderNo9 said:

@adam1808 said:

@Demoskinos said:

@ajamafalous said:

@adam1808 said:

@Demoskinos said:

Agreed, like seriously people like this, and the sensationalist press outlets that make such a big issue over these stupid things.........

"UHHHH. THE GIRLS HAVE BIG TITIES", ok, for the most part (with probably the exception of tina) most of the chicks pretty much have realistic proportions, they are not common everyday proportions but they are realistic, heck my brother once dated a girl that was the splitting image of Lisa.

"THE CHARACTERZ BOOBZ BOUNCE WEIRD" im gonna guess this was just a layover from past games and they just keep on doing it cause its part of Doa, cause like it or not, this stupid little thing to the very least contributed to the games success, and cmon take a step back and realize that its fake videogame chicks boobs bouncing, FAKE, NOT REAL, DIGITAL, IMAGINARY, anyone thats held a real chicks breast knows that they don't go all crazy like that.

if these reasons are seriously bothering you from playing the game then you are insecure and you need to leave the internet and experience life a bit more.

I think the breast bouncing is fascinating becuase in the next generation I would hope to see that kind of technology applied to whole bodies, in most games. The problem with DOA5 is that isntead of a momentary jiggle, it's like the surface of the ocean. It just keeps going and rarely ever stops.

I still think it adds quite a bit to the characters, though.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By mrfluke
    @JazGalaxy said:

@mrfluke said:

@StriderNo9 said:

@adam1808 said:

@Demoskinos said:

@ajamafalous said:

@adam1808 said:

@Demoskinos said:

I think the breast bouncing is fascinating becuase in the next generation I would hope to see that kind of technology applied to whole bodies, in most games. The problem with DOA5 is that isntead of a momentary jiggle, it's like the surface of the ocean. It just keeps going and rarely ever stops.

I still think it adds quite a bit to the characters, though.

eh i dont think i can agree with you fully on that point on that it adds quite a bit to the characters., but i do at least see where you are coming from in that its fascinating that its even a thing. 

Personally i think if they so want to get "the physics" right, then they need to go truly "hands on",  cause as much as they had said they went hands on for this game, they sure as hell didnt

hire some Japanese AV women (id imagine those would be the only women that would be willing to do their hands on tests and the quickest way to find chicks with doa proportions)  and specifically do performance capture on their chests. and if the US Press bothers them once Doa 6 rolls around,  then just come out clean and essentially say something along the sorts of " fuck you guys we love boobs, if you have a problem with it, then dont buy it, we're gonna do our thing"
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#111  Edited By LiquidPrince

Yeah, me too. The boobs don't jiggle enough for me though. They're too tame... I want them to just flop all over. At least I want a mode for that XD

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#112  Edited By Dagbiker

In the next generation there will be a whole processor dedicated to breast bounce.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#113  Edited By Zekhariah

The fighting system in DOA seems really intersting to me (not into the 2D or steet fighter style). But the boob thing makes me think it would be awkward if I have the box out while anyone drops by.

I do hope there is a eventual next gen fighting game that trys to nail realistic physics on everything about the characters though, it would add a lot to the feeling of impact in the presentation.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#114  Edited By striderno9

I would say the most rediculous thing about DOA is how their tits bounce when they are laying on the floor panting, but that can be ignored because this is a quality game.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By mrfluke
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#116  Edited By musubi

@mrfluke: DAT SUIT.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By mrfluke

@Demoskinos: DAT EVERYTHING :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.