Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead or Alive 5

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 25, 2012

Dead or Alive 5 is the seventh entry in the Dead or Alive fighting game franchise, introducing a new visual style, new game mechanics, and highly interactive stages.

1080i possible?

RedBullRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By RedBullRacer

I have a capture device which records gameplay in realtime at 720P and 1080i, but if I set the PS3 to 1080i only and disable the other resolutions (forcing the PS3 into 1080i only), when I start up DOA5 it will put the game into SD mode? Does DOA5 not support 1080i? I've searched online but I can't find out about this anywhere. It's not the end of the world as 720P is fine for me, but if I can record in 1080i I would much rather do this. Hope someone can confirm if 1080i is possible and if I'm doing something wrong.

RedBullRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RedBullRacer

Thinking about it, can someone do me a massive favour. Does 360 DOA5 support 1080i? Cos if it does I'll go buy it on 360 and it will solve my problems!

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ravelle

According to the back of my PS3 DOA5 case it says the game only supports 720p, It's still really weird that most game still don't support 1080i or 1080p.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By kindgineer

I thought most, if not nearly all, console games support 720p. The frame-rate drop switch between 720-1080 would break many games. I think the 1080i/p option for the ps3 is merely a blu-ray option. I don't know though. Never checked.

RedBullRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RedBullRacer

I ended up buying it on 360 as well and it does support 1080i on 360, but not on PS3. Very odd.

BR00KSIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By BR00KSIE

All Xbox 360 games run at 720p regardless. The 1080i/p option only upscales the 720p signal a bit like when a DVD (480p) is upscaled to 1080p on PS3.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By irrelevantjohn

@BR00KSIE said:

All Xbox 360 games run at 720p regardless. The 1080i/p option only upscales the 720p signal a bit like when a DVD (480p) is upscaled to 1080p on PS3.

Exactly this. Also should mention that PS3 does not do any game up-scaling at all.

BR00KSIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By BR00KSIE

@IrrelevantJohn: Actually it does but it's a bit all over the place rather than a standard as it is on the 360. For example some games run at 720p (like the Uncharted games), some run at 1080p (like Wipeout HD and Ridge Racer 7) and some run at 720p but are up scaled depending on which resolution your PS3 is setup to (Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2). GTA IV also did this but only if you turned off all resolutions apart from 1080i/p, but it ran horribly.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By irrelevantjohn

@BR00KSIE: How can I forget that? That's so true! I remember Assassin's creed 2 "supporting" 1080i but it was just up-scaled and ran horribly.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

Why would you ever want to record at 1080i? That's basically the same resolution as 720p but with gross interlacing.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Vonocourt

All games support upscaling on 360 because it has a dedicated upscaler chip. The PS3 upscales purely by software (same with DVD playback), so it's dependent on the developers putting it in, most don't bother upscaling past 720p(if said game it running below that of course).

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By azteris

@MikkaQ said:

Why would you ever want to record at 1080i? That's basically the same resolution as 720p but with gross interlacing.

This is what I was wondering.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.