Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead by Daylight

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jun 14, 2016

Four survivors try to escape a variety of haunted locales, but a supernatural being that feeds on their hope sends a serial murderer to hunt them down in this asymmetrical multiplayer survival-horror game.

The Best Slasher Movie Adaptation, yet!

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Giant_Gamer

If you are like me and grew up watching slasher movies like Halloween and "I Know What You Did Last Summer", then like me you have probably wondered how a video game adaptation will look like. Most video games in the past focused on the survival aspect of these movies and we got great games like Clock Tower.

However, Dead By Daylight did something different by making you play both parts the serial killer part and the survival part in an online competitive match, and they did a good job with it. The game is online only and has only one mode. Yet, the play style changes dramatically when playing from either side.

If you play with the survivors, then your objective is to escape by powering up 5 generators and escape through an electric powered gate. In case you are wondering that the objective is simple, it isn't. Because there is a serial killer running around the map and making sure that none of the generators is powered up. What makes the objective is even more difficult is that you can't kill the killer or even knock him down which i believe is a good decision made by the developer. However, you can blind him or her momentarily giving you a brief moment to escape .

Just like the survivors, the killer's objective is simple to explain which is to hunt down every one of them. However, the survivors skills will play a big part on how easy it is to catch them.

The game offers a great number of survivors and killers to choose from including Michael Mayers from Halloween, the Pig from SAW, Freddy Krueger from A Nightmare on Elm Street and Skin Face from Texas Chainsaw Massacre. However, they are locked behind paywalls which i believe is for licensing. Still, the developers did a great job with them and their maps.

I actually knew about the game only recently and i feel that just like me it is out of the radar here, so i thought that it is best to introduce you to it with as little words as i can.

breq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Friday the 13th the game (r.i.p.) was a lot more fun than this game. Each new slasher they add just feels shoehorned in and kinda...bad. And I'm a huge slasher fan too, so its doubly upsetting that it sucks and that the good game is dying a slow death via legal battle.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@breq: Agreed. I don't *hate* DBD, but F13 feels way more... well, slashery. Not that it doesn't have a whole plethora of issues and bugs, even before the lawsuit, but the core gameplay loop is fantastic.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone that has about 300 hours into DBD, I like it a lot...but it's got some severe balance problems. The higher rank you get, the more you start to realize how survivor sided the game is, with very few exceptions(the biggest being the Nurse, which is a really hard killer to use but if you get good with her you can nullify any of the cheesy survivor tactics like pallet looping).

m3talman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe this doesn't count as a direct movie to game adaptation, but Babysitter Bloodbath is horrifying and fun while also being short enough not to overstay its welcome. And it's cheap! I love the graphics and the throwback style of controls offered. Check it out if you haven't already.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breq:To be honest I knew about Friday the 13th even before it was released and when DbD was out (which i didn't knew about at the time). Begin a movie video game made me avoid it as soon as complaints about its bugs became wide spread.

I really wish that the team made the game they wanted instead of going through the licensing headache.

@panfoot: Exactly, when you play against a well coordinated team with their flashlights ready to blind you, then it's most likely them who will win. Which is understandable giving the nature of the game (4vs1) and balancing that is a tough challenge. However, i like to commend the team for making it almost unapparent!

btw, i have never played a game with the nurse since the last time i played as her. The survivors were too good that i was barely giving them a hit >_<

@m3talman: This game reminds me a lot about clock tower! I have just downloaded it and will give it a try :)

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panfoot: Exactly, when you play against a well coordinated team with their flashlights ready to blind you, then it's most likely them who will win. Which is understandable giving the nature of the game (4vs1) and balancing that is a tough challenge. However, i like to commend the team for making it almost unapparent!

btw, i have never played a game with the nurse since the last time i played as her. The survivors were too good that i was barely giving them a hit >_<

Nurse is just so hard to use, but whenever I go up against someone that's mastered her your pretty much dead once your spotted. Personally I like to play as the Doctor the most, but I still go back to Hillbilly and Micheal Myers every so often. More recently been messing with the Pig which has been pretty fun.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panfoot said:
    @giant_gamer said:

Nurse is just so hard to use, but whenever I go up against someone that's mastered her your pretty much dead once your spotted. Personally I like to play as the Doctor the most, but I still go back to Hillbilly and Micheal Myers every so often. More recently been messing with the Pig which has been pretty fun.

Whoever can make a hit after the small window they get after blink will be unstoppable. As they will have no obstructions between them and the survivors.

Unlike Michael Myres and the Doctor i believe that the Pig is more fun to play and making the survivors run around the map in search for a key is pretty hilarious, although it is not as much of fun if it is being done to you -_-

YuriyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone wants to play let me know. Just starting out (about 10 hrs in) and loving it. PSN is EkusuBokusu

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Love me some DBD. Just came back when they introduced the "Archive" and I love that it unlocks ingame stuff AND lore. Been hankering for more of the latter for awhile now (as my contributions to the wiki will show).

@shagge said:

@breq: Agreed. I don't *hate* DBD, but F13 feels way more... well, slashery. Not that it doesn't have a whole plethora of issues and bugs, even before the lawsuit, but the core gameplay loop is fantastic.

It feels more "slasher-y", and certainly has a more impressive budget, and I do love the multiple ways out of a given stage... but unfortunately it also hinges a lot more on the online players not being...complete and total tools and actually working co-operatively. DBD, at least, can be played solo and if your cohorts are idiots, you can still progress.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undeadpool: Yeah, I came to love DBD since posting that. I still don't play it often since multiplayer games that rely heavily on my personal performance give me anxiety like crazy, but between DBD binges I watch players like Monto and Puppers a lot.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I play Hitman 2 like a goddamn psychopath so for me that's my pick for best slasher adaptation.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

@undeadpool: Yeah, I came to love DBD since posting that. I still don't play it often since multiplayer games that rely heavily on my personal performance give me anxiety like crazy, but between DBD binges I watch players like Monto and Puppers a lot.

My experience with F13 trying to co-op with randos was nothing but utter trash and ragequits 2 minutes in after 5 minutes of waiting, so even people in DBD who don't know what they're doing rate above that. Also there's always the option to main killers if you don't feel comfortable in co-op, another thing I like about it over F13.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undeadpool: Killer is actually more stressful to me, since the killer is basically what makes the match. Add in SWF Squadettes and more teabags than the entirety of Europe and China, and I was one happy boy when my main man Freddy got patched and nobody had a meta defense against him yet. But yeah, at least on survivor if I get wrecked, I can just go "Welp" and move onto the next match instead of watching my beautiful plans crumble around me as everyone beelines the exit.

(not that I don't play killer, mind. There's NOTHING more satisfying than mindgaming a looper and moonwalking my charred ass down to the basement, haha.)

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Undeadpool

@shagge: Haw! Tell me about it, lately it's been feeling like I get matched against people rated WAY higher than me when I'm Killer, AND as a survivor (somehow I'm stuck with all 20s when I'm playing Survivor, and against 12s-14s, as an 18, when I'm Killer. Lost a lot of ranks on a break, but it still seems like I'm getting match made WAY higher).

But there's nothing sweeter than being Myers, watching some jackass teabag at the exit while I power up Evil Within, then 1 hit down them and drag them back to a hook. The sweetest plum...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.