Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dante's Inferno

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Traverse the nine circles of hell in Visceral's action game named after the first cycle of Dante Alighieri's epic poem The Divine Comedy.

Anybody catch the Superbowl Ad?

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ImperiousRix

Ok, I am (and have been) pretty adamant in my distaste for this game.  Hell, I couldn't tell you why.  I like God of War, so if the game captures that mentality in its gameplay, why should anything else matter?  I just know it does.  But I digress. 
    Even I, one that doesn't care too much for this game, have to say that the ad played during the Superbowl was not only surprising, but pretty slick.  I guess I'm just a sucker for good musical choices.  Here's the ad for those who missed it. 

What did you think about it?  Might as well include your own feelings about the game, and whether you'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Heartagram

I thought it was neat that there was a game ad during the superbowl.  

That being said i think it told nothing about what the game is if you don't know already.  

Which is the problem with video game commercials

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @Heartagram:
    Hmm, that is true.  I guess I couldn't really take an objective eye at it knowing so much about the game already.  Still thought it was pretty slick, though, and might spark some interest in the game.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By CenturionCajun

I have to give Visceral props for going for something pretty classy instead of generic metal. As for getting the message across it showed him dropping into Hell and fighting some demons. That seems like a pretty good representation of the general idea.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By VisariLoyalist

yes and it was bad, didn't really convince people who know anything about video games and only confused people who don't know as much.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Ravenousrattler

I liked it. I wouldn't mind watching it over and over again, which is something i can't say about most videogame commercials.

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By FartyMcNarly

I like how they get the advertisements for this and dragon age backwards. Crazy shit happening to laid back and relaxing music always gets me pumped, I listen to classical/relaxing music while I murder people in various games.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Bigandtasty

I was watching this and the NFC playoffs with a family of non-gamers, and they were unanimously more wowed by the Mass Effect 2 commercial. Of course the ME2 commercial was 2 minutes long, but still.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @ImperiousRix said:
    "

Ok, I am (and have been) pretty adamant in my distaste for this game.  Hell, I couldn't tell you why.  I like God of War, so if the game captures that mentality in its gameplay, why should anything else matter?  I just know it does.  But I digress. 
    Even I, one that doesn't care too much for this game, have to say that the ad played during the Superbowl was not only surprising, but pretty slick.  I guess I'm just a sucker for good musical choices.  Here's the ad for those who missed it. 

What did you think about it?  Might as well include your own feelings about the game, and whether you'll be picking it up tomorrow.

"
    reminded me of that gay Mad World gears trailer.  
    and the CG is a joke.  
    That game has shitty graphics. 
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Bones8677

Woah..............

Totally creepy, I watch the OP's video and after it finished not ten seconds go by, and the exact same commercial plays in the next room from me. 

dude...

Also, I thought they had to change their tagline for the super bowl commercial?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By hatking
    @Bones8677:
    They did... they changed it to Hell Awaits.  This is the online version that is floating around... it says the original tag line.

I like the ad... and I don't get the hate for the game.  Seems to me the biggest argument is that it is a God of War rip off... thing is God of War is not on the 360 so there is a market for it there.  Not to mention it is no more a rip off than the 20 odd some GTA clones that come out a year or the cover based shooters which are "Gears clones".  It is dumb to say that it is a rip off... this is simply a new genre now.  Then again I'm one of the people who doesn't think God of War is as great as everybody claims so maybe I'm missing something.
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " reminded me of that gay Mad World gears trailer.  and the CG is a joke.  That game has shitty graphics.  "
    What is this I don't even...
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @OllyOxenFree:  
    Pretty much my reaction, too.  I personally liked the Mad World/Gears of War commercial.  The CG in the trailer, also, looks pretty damn good.  It's not the in-game graphics, no, but for the commercial at least, they did a good job. 

@HatKing:
    Very well put.  Not to mention, late last year X-Men Origins: Wolverine was released and, although many noted that the game was very similar to God of War, it seemed nobody held it against that game.  I think there's some kind of double standard, one that I'm not willing to dislike the game for.  I am, however, willing to dislike the game because... something about it... seems a little off.  I dunno. 

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I also felt it was very similar to the Gears of War trailer, but I have an instinctual aversion to that sort of advertising, the sort that posits intense, violent, gruesome imagery atop some stupidly and obviously ironic song choice. It just feels lazy, and I'm not even sure what the desired effect of the commercial is, what sort of response people are supposed to have to it.  

This game, for the record, and in my opinion, looks dumb as hell. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.