Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dan Ryckert

Person » credited in 4 games

Senior Editor at Giant Bomb from 2014 to 2020. Formerly of Game Informer. Author, Guinness World Record holder, lifelong wrestling mark, and failed musician. After a brief stint as Podcast Producer at WWE Ryckert returned to help guide the next generation of Giant Bomb.

Who should replace Dan? Fantasy draft list

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pearsonpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Who should replace Dan? Fantasy draft list (1915 votes)

Danny O'Dwyer 8%
    Mary Kish 31%
    Mike Drucker 0%
    Vinny Caravella (surprise twist!) 9%
    Peter Brown 2%
    Paul Ryckert 16%
    Tina Amini 1%
    Dave Lang 4%
    Alex Zandra Van Chestein 2%
    Will Smith 3%
    Rob Handlery 0%
    Cara Ellison 6%
    Jim Crawford 1%
    Soha Kareem 1%
    None of the above! 18%
     • 
    MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#201  Edited By MOAB

My nostalgia vote goes to Carrie Gouskos. It's too bad she doesn't visit more.

Danny or Mary would be my choice, but they are doing their own thing. I trust Jeff and the gang to hire someone chill.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bernie Sanders

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Stone Cold Steve Austin.

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People who are saying the new member HAS to be female are completely missing the point of gender equality. Completely.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Me.

CanadianMath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A woman would be nice.

Avatar image for rocketblast0063
    rocketblast0063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have probably written this before, but still: M. Kessler and/or D. Snider.
    Kessler is a fun dude and Snider has been in some of the best GB videos. FMV, Flight Club, random old PC games and what not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Since we're all nominating people that have a snowball's chance in Hell of getting hired (mostly because none of them need a job), fuck it, I nominate goddamn Snoop Dogg. Why not?

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can they hire a clone of Vinny?

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

Mary Kish or someone unknown like Austin. Always liked Mary's Gamespot content and she seemed to work well in the GB videos she's been in.

Suspect it'll be someone new.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A new face, all of the GB family are nice and all but I know what they're about. I would love to meet someone new and fresh. Austin was a complete unknown to me and quickly became of my favorite dudes.

Avatar image for theheroofhyrule
    TheHeroOfHyrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By TheHeroOfHyrule

I mean, if we're talking fantasy here, I'll shoot out some ideas. Here's my pie in the sky, top 5.

1. Justin Davis - IGN

Sure, there are more flamboyant IGNers like Brian Altano (Whom I love) and Max Scoville (Whom I love on the Comedy Button but not so much in other things), but Justin always comes off as a very smart and witty guy, who knows a lot about the industry and is pretty funny, but in a way that isn't "try-hard" like some of the other guys. I think his laid back personality would mesh well with Brad, and him and Jeff could have some pretty deep retro game discussions. He's also a father and could bring a different perspective to the crew. Only worry is that he might be a little too laid back, but I think in an upbeat environment he would thrive. I think he's a pretty high-up guy over there, so it would probably take a lot to coax him away, but hey this is a fantasy draft.

2. Adam Sessler - Formerly of X-Play, Rev3Games, TheoryHead

Sure, he's still got some stuff going on, but he's not the name that he once was. A move back into the mainstream gaming industry for an established site built on persona, would surely create a lot of buzz and bring some excitement. He's a smart guy, who can be a bit cynical at times, but definitely has a goofy dan-esque side. Listen to his guest episodes on the Comedy Button if you don't believe me. I would love to see him on UPF and on the Bombcast even if his time was delegated solely to those purposes. Friend of the site, friend of the guys, so this isn't completely unrealistic either.

3. Matthew Patrick - "MatPat" from GameTheory

Here's a wildcard. Jeff has mentioned multiple times that they need someone with video experience, and is known for their personality. A popular Twitch or YouTuber could easily fill this spot. And the GameTheory channel has recently added a new guy to the cast, taking a lot of the workload off of MatPat. I was going back and forth between MatPat and Markiplier, but ultimately MatPat seems far more knowledgeable about games in general and seems much more of the type to fit in and mesh with a bunch of guys in the gaming industry. He's young, only 30, and could bring a fresh attitude that some of the other older people on this list might not. It may even create a partnership between Giant Bomb and the GameTheory channel which would just be fantastic. Plus the dude is crazy smart.

4. Morgan Webb - Formerly of X-Play

Who would see this coming? Morgan used to be one of the faces of the gaming industry and since has scarcely been seen. Jeff has been on X-play before so they already are acquainted with each other and she would bring a fresh perspective to the crew. Plus, the return of Morgan Webb would surely make some buzz around the internet and bring traffic to the site.

5. Greg Miller - KindaFunny, formerly of IGN

Ok, before you snicker, this obviously would never happen. This is just a dream pick. Aside from Jeff, Greg is likely the most well known and established gaming journalist alive at the moment, and his larger than life persona should easily fill the void left by Dan. He's a friend of the site, friend of the guys, rival of Dr. TrackSuit, and another seat for the PowerBombcast. This is a dream pairing in almost every way. So, why isn't it higher on the list? Well, I honestly think Greg might be TOO charismatic, and he could clash with Jeff at times. I'm not sure how they would mesh in the long term.

Honorable Mentions

Markiplier- YouTube Personality

I don't think he would be a full time fit at giant bomb, more of just like an "Indie Trending" section of the site where he shows off new weird indie or horror games. Plus, Giant Bomb has basically zero affection for the horror genre aside from Jason, so I'd love someone who is right in the middle of the scene. His voice is perfect for podcasting and he may overtake Brad as the sultriest voice. He seems to be a smart guy with some cool outlook at the industry. Another one that would never happen, but just a fun thought.

Kevin Perreira - G4, Attack of the Show, various shows and sites

This dude has a ton of shit going on and is always busy, but I love this idea. Jeff hosted AOTS for a week, so hey, at least a connection is there. The guy is always a fascinating watch, seems to really love games, and is no stranger to the industry.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canadian Dan

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

My absolute fantasy picks would probably be someone from GiantBomb UK aka VideoGamer.com. So many great personalities came from that site - off the top of my head, Matt Lees, Chris Bratt, Jim Trinca and Simon Miller are all wonderful.

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will Smith is gonna need a job when that sweet, sweet, VC money fails to come through.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I voted Mary Kish. I would like them to hire a female.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call Zobek

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#218  Edited By Captain_Insano
    Loading Video...

PLEASE NOTE: THE ABOVE VIDEO CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS - Only in the sense that Paul's descriptions are spoilers.

Once again, I will reiterate that Paul Ryckert is the #1 pick!

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By berniesbc

You know who I would like? Bob Mackey. Ex-1up, ex-USGamer, long time co-host of Retronauts. He's a funny guy, who knows his stuff, and would bring with him an interest in a lot of games that the current crew doesn't cover (ie. JRPGs and the like).

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I really don't think Mary will fit mostly because her core strength seems to be in video production of which the West office has two people already. And if she is on screen it seems like she's more interested in more mainstream production. Not trying to discount the hard work that all the Giant Bomb people put in but I feel like GameSpot tries to have higher production values than Giant Bomb. I still like that minimalist approach with GB and I think it fits their image more. But that's just my two cents.

Danny O'Dweyer is not going to give up what he has going on.

A lot of these other people I think have themselves established in stuff they want to be doing enough to not jump ship onto Giant Bomb. I'd rather them find some up-and-comer and let them do their thing. Some of those people might be like that on that list but I just don't recognize all the names.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tupac or 2pac. Don't mind which.

Stryfeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aoife Wilson from Eurogamer.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I heard that Dann Rickert from Gamebomb.ru recently relocated and is looking for a job.

homelessviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know who I would like? Bob Mackey. Ex-1up, ex-USGamer, long time co-host of Retronauts. He's a funny guy, who knows his stuff, and would bring with him an interest in a lot of games that the current crew doesn't cover (ie. JRPGs and the like).

"Woooow, Bob Mackey!"

Y'know, he'd be a good pick. He's got that kinda sardonic snark that fits well with Brad or Jeff, but like you mentioned he's got a passion for a segment of the gaming spectrum not covered on the site much. Plus, he and Jason would likely bond over their love of weird Japanese games.

However, given the options above, I chose Mary. I don't think she'd make the move, but she's my favorite on that list.

Another suggestion: one of the Brothers McElroy.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aoife Wilson from Eurogamer.

She's funny on camera and a very solid writer.

plato84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

ME!

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Barack Obama, I hear he's looking for work nowadays

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Charles Barkley

Avatar image for bored_and_agitated
    bored_and_agitated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My fantasy draft pick is with Carrie Gouskos, my more attainable fantasy draft pick is Gita Jackson, she's funny on podcasts and I like her point of view on stuff.

Nycalexdunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

why is ron fulches not on this list!!!!!!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nycalexdunk: Because this is a list from 3 years ago when Dan moved from the West to the East and Ron wasn't at friend of the site status.

Nycalexdunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@jesus_phish: No kidding, i just realized that as I posted this. How ever I do feel like Ron would be a hysterical addition.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nycalexdunk: It's kind of funny that this post has come back up, not just here but screencapped on Twitter, right after Jeff specifically asked people to stop fantasy booking.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xavier Woods. If wrestling wants Dan, then we should get a wrester. An eye for an eye, I say.

Alternatively, they could just do the late-era At the Movies thing and have a rotating set of "guests" who pop in on a periodic basis.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#235  Edited By Slag

Didn't Jeff just specifically ask that people don't do this kind of speculation in the Mario party chat the other day? (screenshot from reddit)

No Caption Provided

I totally get the appeal of speculating. It's fun, I do it too in private with friends. But I think we should respect the wishes of the staff. If it helps them get who they think is best, it helps us as fans too

The site's old enough and we've seen enough new hires now over the years, that I have full confidence they'll get somebody good next time they make a hire.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#237 sgtsphynx  Moderator

We have locked this topic to be in line with Jeff's wishes. Furthermore, speculation and fantasy booking ultimately leads to disappointment and resentment if/when your pick is not the new hire.

Please respect the crew's ability to pick a good fit and be welcoming when a new hire is announced.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

The sadness and excitement that ensures whenever Giant Bomb has an opening is to a certain extent understandable. Regardless, the staff have repeatedly expressed that any sort of "fantasy booking," which admittedly was not the original purpose of this thread, about potential staff members is both awkward and not appreciated. Please keep this in mind in all future discussion threads.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.