Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Cthulhu

Character » appears in 35 games

Originating in the horror tales of H.P. Lovecraft, Cthulhu is an extremely ancient, powerful, and evil being, worshipped by a deranged cult for millennia as they await his re-emergence from the depths of the sea. He has appeared in many games, in forms both serious and comical.

Games with Cthulhu-like monster(s) with deep backstory?

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By RainVillain

Anyone know of a game with a heavy emphasis on the mystery of some huge creature? I mention Cthulhu because I always found the overall mythos and lore of cthulhu super interesting.

Shadow of thr Colossus comes to mind, though most of the backstory on that games colossi is inferred. Very cool, any others? Not asking for "name me games with big monsters", but rather, name me a game that puts emphasis on the mystery of such a creature..

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

The first game that comes to mind for me is Eternal Darkness:  Sanity's Requiem.  It's deeply inspired by the Cthulhu mythos and has a rather intricate plot and history.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By mazik765

I've never played it but Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners has got to be down that road...right?

pizzapranks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By pizzapranks
    @mazik765 said:

" I've never played it but Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners has got to be down that road...right? "

From what I've told by a friend who's into Lovecraft (as well as Wikipedia) this game is kind of like Shadow Over Innsmouth: The Game. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ryanwho

Zeno Clash?

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By floodiastus
    @bigmuffpi said:

" Anyone know of a game with a heavy emphasis on the mystery of some huge creature? I mention Cthulhu because I always found the overall mythos and lore of cthulhu super interesting. Shadow of thr Colossus comes to mind, though most of the backstory on that games colossi is inferred. Very cool, any others? Not asking for "name me games with big monsters", but rather, name me a game that puts emphasis on the mystery of such a creature.. "

Well the original 80s/90s PC game Alone in the Dark had a heavy emphasis on lovecraftian stuff if I remember correctly. 

Games dont really tend to be that great with this setting though, ive played both computer games and PnP RPGs in this setting and both kind of fail. The lovecraftian theme is awesome from a philosophical standpoint but the hugeness of the dreaming destroyer and the surrounding mythos just does not work very well for gaming.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Undeadpool
    @bigmuffpi said:
    " Anyone know of a game with a heavy emphasis on the mystery of some huge creature? I mention Cthulhu because I always found the overall mythos and lore of cthulhu super interesting. Shadow of thr Colossus comes to mind, though most of the backstory on that games colossi is inferred. Very cool, any others? Not asking for "name me games with big monsters", but rather, name me a game that puts emphasis on the mystery of such a creature.. "
    Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem both take heavy cues from the Cthulhu mythos.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ryanwho

But honestly I don't think our tentacle rendering technology is up to the task of a proper Cthulu game yet. And also the stories aren't structured at all in a way to play into a story. And no one Old God is really developed enough unless you include non-Lovecraft Cthulu universe lore (which you aught to, cus he approved of it). I mean, where do you even set it? Are you the mad Arab or what?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.