Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Commodore

Company »

Commodore was a company which developed several home computers including the very popular Commodore 64 and Commodore Amiga 500

SOASC: The kind of insanity I can relate to

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By EvilDingo

While surfing for some retro game-music due to a recent thread on this board, I stumbled over this madness.

No Caption Provided
    So what is it?

It's a rig consisting of 4 PC's and 2 Commodore 64's... and it's basically a project designed to automatically record every SID ever made.

The rig is automated and records the audio output of 2 C64's in real-time, and uploads the resulting mp3's to be available for download on SOASC.
    The final result will require over 400 Gb of storage - which is a fair bit more than the 40-50 Mb of storage the entire collection of SID-files takes up.

The reason there is 2 C64's connected has not actually anything to do with speeding up the process, but is actually because that through the production of the C64, it was fitted with 2 different versions of the SID-soundchip. While the older version actually was buggy, it's generally considered to have a *warmer* sound. For this reason SIDS are generally programmed to sound "correct" on either the older or the newer soundchip.

Considering how small storage-wise the entire SID-collection is and how good current emulation technology for SID-playback is (win / osx), the insanity of this project becomes even more apparent. This is for purists who NEED the authentic sound.
    I don't know who these people might be.

However I can't do anything but love the effort and the project.
    EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By EvilDingo

While surfing for some retro game-music due to a recent thread on this board, I stumbled over this madness.

No Caption Provided
    So what is it?

It's a rig consisting of 4 PC's and 2 Commodore 64's... and it's basically a project designed to automatically record every SID ever made.

The rig is automated and records the audio output of 2 C64's in real-time, and uploads the resulting mp3's to be available for download on SOASC.
    The final result will require over 400 Gb of storage - which is a fair bit more than the 40-50 Mb of storage the entire collection of SID-files takes up.

The reason there is 2 C64's connected has not actually anything to do with speeding up the process, but is actually because that through the production of the C64, it was fitted with 2 different versions of the SID-soundchip. While the older version actually was buggy, it's generally considered to have a *warmer* sound. For this reason SIDS are generally programmed to sound "correct" on either the older or the newer soundchip.

Considering how small storage-wise the entire SID-collection is and how good current emulation technology for SID-playback is (win / osx), the insanity of this project becomes even more apparent. This is for purists who NEED the authentic sound.
    I don't know who these people might be.

However I can't do anything but love the effort and the project.
    Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bullet_Jr

It's very impressive. I've always been fascinated with taking things apart (which eventually got me in the IT field). I too can appreciate the effort involved in a project.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.