Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Civilization

Franchise »

A celebrated series of civilization-building turn-based strategy games created and produced by Sid Meier.

Civ III, Civ IV ?

Demmetje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Demmetje

I'm trying to decide whether I want to buy Civ III or Civ IV from the Steam Summer Sale.

III is dirt cheap, but I've read some negative things about it, especially in comparison to IV. I tried the demo of IV and it seemed to run on my laptop (it specs are kinda low: 4 gigs of RAM and a Intel GMA 4500M card). Will my laptop be able to run the latter game when the game gets more complex? Or am I better of trying the extremely cheap Civ III?

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MudMan

Any Civ is a good Civ, but IV is probably the best of them. It *does* get a bit hardware-intensive in the late game if you are playing a large game with all the graphical bells and whistles, though, so keep that in mind.

Then again, if you're curious about the series, it's kind of hard to go back to the old ones if you start on IV. You may want to go play 3 first, then dig up Alpha Centauri from Good Old Games or something, then get around to 4 and 5. But if the question is 3 or 4? I'd say 4.

Demmetje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Demmetje

And a badly running Civ IV (In the regular vision framerate was quite low in the beginning of a game) or a great running Civ III?

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By impartialgecko

All the calculating going on under the hood will probably tax your laptop regardless of which of them you pick. I'd recommend Civ IV just because it's nicer on the eyes and is comparatively more intuitive. It took Civ Rev and V to get me to go back and make sense of both III and IV.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.