Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Playing Catherine with my girlfriend: a horrifying experience

• 130 results
    The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By The_Nubster
    @AzHP said:

So I was ahead of schedule at work and decided that in light of everyone saying that my girlfriend is a terribly controlling woman and that I am a dishonest man who doesn't deserve her, that I should write up something about why I love my girlfriend and how delightfully nerdy our relationship is. I don't know if anyone cares or will find it interesting, but here it is, just in case.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/turning-my-girlfriend-into-a-weeaboo-a-true-story/509420/#1

You don't have to prove to the internets how much you love your girlfriend. If you're letting people get to you about what they're saying, some of it must be true. Don't worry about what other people think; it's all just conjecture off of a single blog post.
    avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By avidwriter

Issues! Really though, its a game it has no bearing on your real relationship. However your girlfriend doesn't seem to think that. Asking to see your phone right after is like, really? She has trust issues?

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#103  Edited By avantegardener

A very entertaining read, well done. I intend to ask my own girlfriend to read it and see what see thinks, she has tendancy when she occassionally plays games or watches me, to go with the evil option(I'm the opposite) as it's not what she would normally do in real life. So no doubt she would have us slutting it up all over town! I think she finds it much easier to see it as fanstasy and compartmentalise it to 'just a video game'.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#104  Edited By musubi

Honestly, I never even thought about this but damn..... yeah this would be one game where playing with your girl would be a down right nightmare.    Great post though.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#105  Edited By Kazona

You know, when you feel that your girlfriend might get mad at you for things you say in text messages to other girls, you might as well be cheating. I know this blog post is about you playing Catherine with your gf, but if you are trying to hide your conversations with other girls, you are either heavily flirting with them, or your girlfriend gets jealous far too easily.

I apologise if I'm being offensive, but, from my personal experience, it's never healthy for a relationship if you feel the need to lie about (mundane) things.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#106  Edited By NMC2008

Ah, what a mess, I told myself that I am staying single for the rest of my life because women annoy me so much(not in general but once you are in a relationship they get really annoying over time but i'm sure I annoy them as well) and I am glad to see that I have made the right decision, thanks. Relationships are for masochists(IMO). Good luck. BTW, I need to buy Catherine & Shadows of the Damned.

Note: I have been in relationships, my last one ended seven years ago and i'm single and going strong, no desire to join that club again, it's funny though, it seems that women(the ones I talk to)think a man cannot be happy without a woman or companion, but I have been so for seven years now, so I dunno, when my female friend told her friend I never want to get married, her friend was like "WHAT?! WHY!?"(her friend is married with two kids) and I didn't feel like going into that conversation with two women, it would be a useless pain in my ass.

So, you need to grow some balls my dear boy and play your game like you want and not let her control the way you play, she's supposed to be your equal partner but you make her sound like a dictator.

Smell Ya Later.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#107  Edited By Nasar7

I was just playing through this game last night with my buddy and and at one we point we just turned to each other said, yeah this would be terrible to play with your girlfriend watching. Thanks for confirming! To myself and to all guys who have been in Vincent's shoes at some time or another, this game is alternately great yet painful to watch.

anzejk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By anzejk

Man, I feel sorry for you, I really do. I know I would most definitely NOT play this game with my GF, for the exact reasons you got fucked. We (Man and Women) are two completely different species, that's why we, the dudes, can't really trust them, the dudetes, and they can't really trust us.
    And there's this: "Bitches be crazy, you know that!!!"  ;D

benjamimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#109  Edited By benjamimmy

Haha, that's some funny stuff! Never thought of ever playing Catherine like that. I can imagine all the evil looks she gives you, as you hover over an option, until you see her in the corner of your eye, so you move it to the one she wants. :p

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#110  Edited By Kyle

Haha, that sounds pretty awful. And the worst part is, I'm sure there's no way to transition into playing the game by yourself once you start it with her.

But, like so many others have said, I suppose that's what you get for playing a game about infidelity with your girlfriend in the room. xD

AzHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By AzHP

Well, Lindsey just told me she wants to cosplay Catherine with me now, so I guess she found the game fun. =P

Miryam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Miryam

I don't think anyone acted strange or out of sorts.  I'm a nerdy girl and trusting towards my bf's, you don't want to think that guys are afraid to be committed, but it's true for both sexes even women.  It's just you want to think that no one will feel that way towards you which is unrealistic.  I've met both parties in the blog and I think that this is something that will happen in every relationship and they are lucky to have a healthy one that can take playing this game together. :)

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#113  Edited By RVonE

What's with all these comments obsessing over phones? I can't relate to that at all.

Also, the idea that all men are afraid of commitment is a myth (just like the idea that all women want a ring around their finger and start a family).

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#114  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Good blog, I was actually curious about how people might have experiences like this. Seems like there are a lot of situations when this game doesn't want to be played by people who want to have it. In fact, it seems like people only are willing to play it alone away from people they actually know. Me and some buddies are actually going to play through it ER style on Wednesday this week, so I'm curious to see how it goes. Luckily none of us are boning each other at the moment so at least THAT won't be an issue.

I thought your feelings toward ignoring Catherine was interesting too. I hadn't thought anyone would react that way, I figured people would just go for the one of the two obvious extremes, interesting.

You know, if your afraid of what your partner will think of what they see in your text inbox, you should stop fucking talking about those things, or you have an overbearing crazy person of a girlfriend. Either way, you are doing it wrong.

And no, not all men in committed relationships think like Vincent. And I would totally play with my girlfriend, because even IF I were to reveal something she wasn't exactly super happy about, she still trusts me enough to know that it's a fairly harmless thing. And things like my texting isn't an issue because I don't text things that would bother her, and honestly that's because I got her, I don't need anything more. Not really sure what it is you are afraid of your girl seeing, but damn. Trust is kinda important in a relationship, ya know? I mean, I'm not saying your a deviant or a pig or anything, but you should really be a little more trusting. Or at least not do things that would piss off your significant other.

roughplague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By roughplague

I really don't have anything to hide from my boyfriend, so playing Catherine with him wouldn't be bad at all, even the intimate questions and what you would choose over what and such wouldn't bother me. As far as your "all guys in a relationship think like Vincent" or "all girls in a relationship think like Katherine" I think is really condescending and generalizing, it's probably the majority, like the average Joe or Joline's thought process and desires, but lumping everyone in that category in my opinion is kinda offending =/
    so yes, I do disagree, and yes I WOULD play Catherine with my boyfriend if I ever had the slightest interest in playing it in the first place.
    (also no I'm not a woman before you call me out for being misunderstanding over guys or whatever)

chet_rippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By chet_rippo

Yeah, I wanted to show the game to my girlfriend so she watched me play through one of the nights. I found some of the questions too personal to answer seriously with her there so I just purposely acted like a dick in the game.

I beat it a couple days ago, but I don't remember ever getting a question as ridiculous as that cell phone inbox one.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By Klei

@AzHP :

I play Catherine in front of my girlfriend all the time, and we both have a good time with it. Seing from your pictures, it's crystal clear that you guys are still pretty young, if not just barely over 18.  I'm really not trying to insult you at all, but obviously, you guys have trust issues and, i'm not trying to speak lowon your girl, but she's not very mature to overreact that way.

UncleClassy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By UncleClassy

Sounds like you need to drop that bitch fast and find someone's who's actually, you know, emotionally stable.

AzHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By AzHP

@Klei said:

@AzHP : I play Catherine in front of my girlfriend all the time, and we both have a good time with it. Seing from your pictures, it's crystal clear that you guys are still pretty young, if not just barely over 18. I'm really not trying to insult you at all, but obviously, you guys have trust issues and, i'm not trying to speak lowon your girl, but she's not very mature to overreact that way.

Haha, well I'm Asian, so people tend to guess low on my age. I'm actually 23, and my girlfriend is 21 (I know, still young). The funny thing is that she is really much more mature and understanding than most women I know, but I guess playing such an emotional game about trust and betrayal really brought out the womanly instincts in her.

Kapalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Kapalaka

My boyfriend and I play Catherine together, and like any other gaming situation, we mutually understand that side-seat gaming is VERY annoying. There is nothing worse than figuring out a timed puzzle with a side-seat gamer. So in order to combat this and get through the endings faster, we play our own games together but respectfully watch each other unlock endings. It's just something you have to talk about, some girls are more touchy about the nature of what this game is about than others. Trufax, this game is about CHEATING. As obvious as it should sound that just because your boyfriend is cheating in a game doesn't mean he will be in real life, but some girls need to be reassured of this. 

One of our friends however is also playing Catherine with his girlfriend... ugh. It was painful to watch. She didn't want him to play it without her, but the first ending he wanted to unlock was the cheater ending and she was being a total baby all along the way.

ScreamingFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By ScreamingFist

Awesome article dude and thanks for the warning O_O

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#122  Edited By xpgamer7

It's a game about choosing and cheating. There's no way I'd play it with my girlfriend, although at the same time I wouldn't expect her to try and control my decisions.

AzHP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By AzHP

@ScreamingFist said:

Awesome article dude and thanks for the warning O_O

Thanks! I'm quite blown away by the response to this to be honest, I'm glad that a game like this was made, it stirred up quite a bit of discussion.

glanesb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#124  Edited By glanesb
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    On a more positive note, if she's that pissed off, it only means she cares dude. I mean fuck, if i had a girl that would be willing to sit through and watch me play an entire game, well, that would be awesome. In fact you know what, you need to go and apologize to her, than pressure her into marrying you. 
    Talk about being right on!!!
    Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

I don't know if the statement at the end about all girls thinking the way Katherine does is quite the right thing to say. I know you likely didn't mean to say it like that or anything though. My current relationship is great. I have no real hangups about commitment, and she isn't controlling in the least. She lets me hang out with my friends and do stupid stuff, and I let her do whatever she wants, too. Neither of us would ever cheat, or do things that would harm the other person, and because we trust each other with that, we can respect each other's privacy and personal space without worry. I don't think all girls think like Katherine. Some do, and in some cases, it's worth it to deal with that. To me, trusting each other is key to giving each other the privacy we need. Becuase we know nothing bad s going to happen, we don't have to worry. It's really nice. 
    JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#126  Edited By JackiJinx

I would not play this game with my boyfriend. He tried out the demo at my place two weeks ago and seemed to find it interesting, but I could tell he felt a little anxiety while playing in front of me. However, I do plan to purchase and play the crap out of this some time myself because I'm interested in the story unfolding.

In your situation, placing humor in the context of gameplay probably would have softened and eased the tension you were feeling while playing. For instance, pick the most obviously inappropriate choices and laugh about it.

Hi_Voltg3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Hi_Voltg3

This was a good read. I have played a bunch of Catherine in front of my girlfriend but no arguments have come up as she knows it's just fiction. I did play it honestly though, staying true to Katherine and getting the True Lovers ending. She actually wants to see what happens if I cheat her on though and where the story goes from there haha.
    otoboke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#128  Edited By otoboke

Lucky for me my girlfriend knew prior to watching me play Catherine that I'm a bit of an insensitive dick with commitment issues. Honestly, playing Rayman Origins together put more stress on our relationship that Catherine even came close to. And for the record, I got the bad cheater ending.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#129  Edited By Sooty

I'd play it with mine because I'm a boy scout anyway. I chose all the 'good' choices for the questions. 

It's going to be a while before I feel like playing through that ice world again.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Hunkulese

@azhp: Just wondering if you found out that your girlfriend was a crazy person yet?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.