Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Franchise »

Originally starting as a World War II-themed first-person shooter, the Call of Duty franchise now incorporates other time periods and conflicts and can be found on virtually every modern platform.

What was the most recent Call of Duty game you bought?

• 96 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Poll What was the most recent Call of Duty game you bought? (337 votes)

2003 - Call of Duty 1%
    2005 - Call of Duty 2 2%
    2006 - Call of Duty 3 1%
    2007 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 12%
    2008 - Call of Duty: World at War 2%
    2009 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 21%
    2010 - Call of Duty: Black Ops 17%
    2011 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 9%
    2012 - Call of Duty: Black Ops II 20%
    2013 - Call of Duty: Ghosts 14%
    2014 - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (pre-ordered or recently purchased) 8%
    2014 - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (not yet, but I plan to buy it soon) 2%
    I've never bought a Call of Duty game 10%

People are always talking about where the series peaked, and where it started to go downhill, so I thought this would make an interesting poll. Just when did you stop buying these games, anyhow? Or have you stopped?

Please note that I'm asking, chronologically speaking, what was the most recent Call of Duty game you bought. If you bought Ghosts when it was released, but just yesterday you bought a used copy of World at War for 2.99, you should vote for Ghosts.

• 
    evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've stopped playing after Black Ops 1, when I have encountered multiple issues with the multiplayer component of the game on the PC, although I've enjoyed the single player campaign.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

I bought CoD 4 about a year after it was released. That's pretty much the extent of my CoD exposure.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By thebunnyhunter

I bought Ghost but only beacuse my friend had an extra season pass and game code from when BestBuy had an error and was selling them for 1cent. My god even though i only paid $20 for them around launch it was a mistake. The only other COD i bought was Black Ops 2, which was really great. I played my roommates MW2 in college though. I think i might do the preorder on AW because it looks really fun and i want that preload.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I stopped at Black Ops 1. I thought it was a good game, but the way IW and Treyarch kept ignoring features the other was adding really put me off from the series for a while. That said, I played some Ghosts when they did a free weekend on PS4 a while ago and enjoyed my time with it, and I think Advanced Warfare looks super fun so I'll probably end up grabbing that in December when new releases wind down.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By Vonocourt

Bought Ghost for the PS4 because of that buy one get one deal Amazon had if you pre-ordered the PS4 last year.

Avatar image for rednorthernwind
    RedNorthernWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last cod I bought was MW2

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've bought every console Call of Duty game from 2 to Advanced Warfare (pre-ordered). I felt like I got my money's worth out of all of them but 3 and Ghosts were both major disappointments. My favourite was/still is Black Ops 2 it was just so complete. Nothing really felt like BS to me. Even though the smgs were considered the best guns they never really felt OP to me and almost every gun in the game seemed viable. Overall the maps were pretty great too and the map packs felt more worth the price than in any other game.

Ghosts was just terrible imo. Nothing felt improved at all. It felt like there were more "magic bullet" kills then in previous games and while in other games you have always been fragile, I was successfully able to run away from gun fights and take people by surprise in them, or if they got the drop on me and I had better aim I could use that to get headshots and get the kill even though they started shooting first. In Ghosts it just felt like you were dead way too fast, which is saying something.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black ops, didn't like it very much. My favorite is MW2 by far. Don't regret picking up black ops though since with a weird stack of promotions I exchanged it for a full priced LA noire copie without any extra charge.

Duluoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Duluoz

Black Ops 2. I skipped MW3 and Ghost but I've played all the others. Interestingly I bought a used french language version of BLOPS 2 without knowing it, (living in Ottawa so not too surprising actually), so that made the story somewhat harder to follow at times, though i feel like I got most of it.

I played COD2 recently and its a nice change of pace from the newer ones. Pretty big areas compared to the newer ones, often they will stick you in a little village area with like 10-15 buildings in it and multiple objectives, so you can work your way around and through buildings and flank groups. Plus the nature of WW2 combat made every encounter sort a little puzzle: a couple of MG42s with overlapping fire, a bunch of dudes with bolt guns, and some submachine gunners and/ assault rifles in later levels. Playing BLOPS2 every encounter was me assault rifling my way through a bunch of assault rifle dudes in a relentless forward march of nonstop automatic fire.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ZolRoyce

Call me silly but I actually really did like the characters/story of the Call of Duty games right up until after MW2, sure MW2 got crazy, but it was a fun crazy.
    After 2 the story seemed to just fall down to "So more war happened" and I just sort of lost interest.
    Advanced Warfare is peaking my interest, I would hope they didn't grab Kevin Spacey just to squander him, so perhaps with a really good actor and using the all too often morally grey/sketchy private guns for hire sort of people it'll actually go somewhere good. Fingers crossed.

Edit: Also I just want to say, this was a pretty cool idea for a poll, good job, the results are pretty cool and just about expected MW2/Black Ops in the lead.

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Ops 2 after skipping the previous two. Lets just say I'm glad I have Gamefly. I get to play this one a bit before I say "Yep, same old shit" and send it back.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Black Ops 2. Have zero interest in getting another iteration. The series peaked with World at War.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Ghosts and it sucked. Hard. Every year I say I'm not going to buy the new CoD then I end buying it. There is only so much TF2/CS/Destiny multiplayer I can handle and the only way to get into a decent sized lobby of low latency Australians is to play the new hot shit (popular) and that is usually CoD or Halo, but that's not on PC.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Ghosts. I picked the wrong year to take a break. After MW3 I decided I was going to take a year off meaning I missed Blops 2 which people seemed to be quite fond of.

I think the last one I really liked was Black Ops. I'm probably going to get Advanced Warfare, I'd like a good co-op game for my PS4, and their horde with progression seems cool.

I still actually like the core of these games, I've always liked the way they play, but something about the story and the mp in Ghosts felt off.

Riley was fuckin rad!

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked Ghosts to take a break. Looking back, all the 360 launch titles I bought seem like crap, and I knew that I'd feel that way if I picked up Ghosts. It also screamed cross-gen in a big way, which was certainly understandable. This game will at least benefit from being fully developed for current consoles, while another dev team entirely is working on the last-gen ports.

That fact alone might not have sealed the deal for me, but I loved Mass Effect 3 multiplayer with its random loot system, and the supply drop system seems like it's going to have a lot in common. Collecting slight variations for each weapon sounds like a lot of fun. The character customization also looks pretty cool.

Loading Video...

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#66  Edited By Slag

No Caption Provided

When it comes to First Person shooters, CoD has never been my thing.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

black ops 2 because of jeff, was done with cod but he said some good things about it so i ended up buying it. i might buy advanced warfare... maybe

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ThunderSlash

The only one I've bought was Modern Warfare 2 to play the Spec Ops mode with a friend. It was pretty good. I've never been fond of deathmatch in these types of games though.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Modern Warfare 2 was the last COD game for me. I had been getting them pretty regularly up until then. I finished the campaign in MW2 in one sitting and I suck. That's when I knew they didn't care about the single player part anymore and so I moved on to other games. I am very interested in Advanced Warfare, but I want to know a lot more before I am willing to pay full price again. I don't play the multiplayer too much because, again, I suck and don't enjoy dying 50 times a round.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#70  Edited By Trilogy

Black Ops 1, even though I was kind of done after MW2 (terrible balance). I did enjoy Black ops1 a lot more than MW2, but the whole formula was really starting to grate on me at that point.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

First one on the PC. Was not a fan, haven't really played any of them since.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@spaceinsomniac said:

That fact alone might not have sealed the deal for me, but I loved Mass Effect 3 multiplayer with its random loot system, and the supply drop system seems like it's going to have a lot in common. Collecting slight variations for each weapon sounds like a lot of fun. The character customization also looks pretty cool.

This is just about the only reason why I'm interested in Advanced Warfare's multiplayer.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#73 riostarwind  Moderator

I bought the first 4 Call of Duty games and pretty much stopped picking them up since I didn't think the campaign was long enough to make me want to pay 60$ for it. But I did rent a assortment of the later CoD games that came out.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#74  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Ghosts, and I'll try and get Advanced Warfare for Black Friday. Dat Zombies mode.

Confirmed Zombies mode, with shitty quality. Looks fucking dope.

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

Modern Warfare 2 was the last one for me. All of the Activision-Infinity Ward bs that went down turned me off of the series. I might check out Advanced Warfare, if only for Kevin Spacey.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Manachild

Call of Duty 4 is the last one that I bought. However, I did play a little modern warfare 2 spec ops mode with a friend on xbox and a little bit of black ops zombies. Besides that except for loose bits of public opinion that has found its way into my perception I've had very little actual exposure to call of duty since CoD4. I also until recently didn't play many multiplayer shooters.

I wonder if this puts me in a unique position to go into advanced warfare, which i've preordered, with less jaded perceptions? I wonder...

Will be interesting to see how things play out.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Ops 2 was it for me. I was way on board for the whole ride until then. Not that it was a bad game, I really liked it, but that was the breaking point for me. I don't want to play FPS's for a while now. Black Ops 1 was far and away my favorite game, and the series just diverged too far from the feel of that game.

I may never come back, but it was fun while it lasted.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Black Ops, which I really enjoyed. Haven't played mp since Modern Warfare 1.

I borrowed my buddy's MW3 and thought the campaign was alright. Never got around to finishing, so anytime I think of buying a new CoD I think "well, I should finish that other one first."

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#79  Edited By Colonel_Pockets

The last one I bought was black ops 2. I'm really hoping Advanced Warfare is great. I'm not sure if the mobility changes will be actually be fun to play with.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oops, I voted Black Ops 2, but I meant to vote Black Ops 1.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought CoD: Ghosts, I know I'm a bad man. I haven't bought every CoD that's come out but the one's that I did buy I had always enjoyed. I always thought people exaggerated their hatred against CoD but, damn, Ghosts was actually a straight up bad game.

osuzoo08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By osuzoo08

world at war was the last one I bought

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call of Duty 2, on PC. Wanted to play a game set in WWII, and that was the most well-regarded one at the time so I got it. Probably not the best timing to play through the whole campaign during finals week of my first semester in college but I made it work.

Kind of wanted to try World at War but never got around to it. I'm kind of sad the series left WWII behind to be more modern/futuristic like every other FPS.

autumn_thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got Black Ops I as part of a PS3 bundle (I think that counts). I enjoyed it and will on occasion play some multi (even though I'm terrible at shooters) but not enough to justify getting another one, especially with how long Activision takes to mark down the MSRP on those games.

For some reason I find myself intrigued by Titanfall, though I don't know why (no Xbox and again, I suck at shooters).

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I bought and thoroughly enjoyed CoD 4. After that, I ended up buying Call of Duty Classic, or whatever it was called (the HD release of the first game), I think because I was really into trophies at that time and that seemed an okay game with accessible bunch of them, at an accessible price. I didn't enjoy that one so much. Those were the only two CoD games I ever bought.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Ops 2 from a sale, 'twas okay after not having played one in almost three years.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

For anyone wondering if cross-gen might be limiting the new Call of Duty, I recently found some video of the previous gen version, and the difference is MASSIVE. At this point, I really don't see the concept of cross-gen being an issue when it comes to graphic quality anymore.

Both are videos of the same map, and both will run at 60fps in Chrome when the option is selected. Quite a difference, here.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#88  Edited By impartialgecko

Black Ops 2 was super interesting from a narrative design perspective. It was flawed in all sorts of ways but most of them were interesting. I don't play the games for the multiplayer, but I've played every single one bar Ghosts for the campaigns. Sometimes you just need a dumb thrill ride.

Enuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's MW2. Played the coop missions with my brother, then I lost interest

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Modern Warfare 1 and 2 are the only ones I've ever bought, and if I could go back in time I might not have bought two. I played a good amount of it, but nowhere near the amount I did MW1. Now I just rent them and send them back after I play the campaign and a few online matches.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Sinusoidal

I've never bought one, but I played one. I think I remember it starting in Pearl Harbour.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the absolute bejeezus out of Modern Warfare 2 on the PS3 even though I was turrrrrible at the multiplayer (I even enjoyed the Campaign and Spec Ops modes a lot). But then the multiplayer got full of cheaters and all manner of nonsense and I never felt the need to buy another CoD.

I am curious about Advanced Warfare though.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It turns out that 43 percent of Giant Bomb members who voted in this poll admit to either buying one of the two most recent Call of Duty games, or pre-ordering / planning to buy Advanced Warfare. I have to admit, I honestly didn't expect the numbers to be that high. This has been a pretty interesting poll.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gave up after Modern Warfare. I kinda don't get how people could buy these games every single year.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've pre-loaded Avanced Warfare, and I've been thinking of getting next-year's probably.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually had to look cause I was thinking it was black ops but 4 years ago seemed like a long time. I will not be buying this game any time soon. I like to multiplayer from time to time, but for now I'll stick with destiny. I don't play enough pvp to care that much, or to ever get really good. At some point I will probably want some COD game on my ps4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.