Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: World at War

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

The fifth installment of the Call of Duty series, bringing most of the gameplay and graphical improvements of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare back to World War II conflict. It is also the first Call of Duty game set in the Pacific Theater.

Wow... I hate Call of Duty: World At War

• 54 results
    jok3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By jok3r

I finally got my 360s disc drive to start working today so I put in CoD: W@W and although I'm pretty experienced with the games multiplayer (first prestige level 37), I've only completed a little less than half of the single player, and apparently for good reason. Now, by this point, most people know that the multiplayer side of World at War is decent, its fun to play but it copies nearly everything off of the previous game, so there isn't much new content. I've always played the game's multiplayer on and off whenever I had nothing else to play but I was never too interested in the single player but lately I've been wanting to start getting achievements again so I headed straight into single player, from where I had left off previously.

And let me say... this game sucks. I encountered a lot of issues with the hit detection when I was using a scoped rifle and the enemy AI was awful, some of the worst I've seen in recent months. And the fact that sometimes enemies could shoot you from incredible distances away and hit you but at other times be a few feet away and miss many...many times is just unreasonable. After seeing things like this in just the regular difficulty, I can only imagine that veteran will require no skill on outsmarting the AI but instead will be about, camping a spot and learning to throw back grenades with incredible dexterity.

No Caption Provided
    In the end, I completed one or maybe two missions so I'm a little bit over the half way mark, and then I got side tracked with AIM and decided to stop playing. I think I'll be playing it a considerable amount the next few days because I hope to beat the game in order to write a review about it. But be warned, this game is not good.
    jok3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jok3r

I finally got my 360s disc drive to start working today so I put in CoD: W@W and although I'm pretty experienced with the games multiplayer (first prestige level 37), I've only completed a little less than half of the single player, and apparently for good reason. Now, by this point, most people know that the multiplayer side of World at War is decent, its fun to play but it copies nearly everything off of the previous game, so there isn't much new content. I've always played the game's multiplayer on and off whenever I had nothing else to play but I was never too interested in the single player but lately I've been wanting to start getting achievements again so I headed straight into single player, from where I had left off previously.

And let me say... this game sucks. I encountered a lot of issues with the hit detection when I was using a scoped rifle and the enemy AI was awful, some of the worst I've seen in recent months. And the fact that sometimes enemies could shoot you from incredible distances away and hit you but at other times be a few feet away and miss many...many times is just unreasonable. After seeing things like this in just the regular difficulty, I can only imagine that veteran will require no skill on outsmarting the AI but instead will be about, camping a spot and learning to throw back grenades with incredible dexterity.

No Caption Provided
    In the end, I completed one or maybe two missions so I'm a little bit over the half way mark, and then I got side tracked with AIM and decided to stop playing. I think I'll be playing it a considerable amount the next few days because I hope to beat the game in order to write a review about it. But be warned, this game is not good.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

Let me tell you somin' about Veteran. I hope you like constant grenade spam...

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Baillie

You hate it because the ai isn't great at the easy difficulty? Try putting it on Hardened or better yet, go for Veteran.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Yeah, veteran is definitely more about dodging the grenades. I'm not sure what you mean by 'no new content' as every map in CODWAW is completely different then COD4, the levels go up to 65, the weapons are obviously much different, dogs... there's a lot of subtle differences- just enough to constitute a different game. It is very similar though, but in the end it's still very much different.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Baillie

The thing I like about it, is there is more variety in the weapons you'd want to use, no M16 RDS or Silenced MP5.

jok3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jok3r

Yeah I knew I phrased that incorrectly even when I wrote it, but I was too lazy to change it. When I said no new content, I meant that the multiplayer just feels like a stripped down version of CoD4 with map mods and gun mods. If you think about it, CoD4 had stuff the CoD:WaW is definetly lacking, like camos and the weapons seem  very unbalanced and there seem to be fewer weapons. Most people like to run around with MP40s or STGs, and too me that takes some of the fun out of the customization of your classes.

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By T0mF5
    @Baillie said:
    " The thing I like about it, is there is more variety in the weapons you'd want to use, no M16 RDS or Silenced MP5. "
    Did you ever hear of something called the MP40?
    marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By marlow83

All those problems you mentioned- COD4 had 'em all. And try the game on Hardened and Veteran. Don't just assume if you're going to write a review.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

Isn't the AI simply as "bad" as in COD4? COD games never really were about AI, they were just about a lone soldier (ok, you often times had a squad too, but it was you who had control of the situation and if you didn't advance nothing did) taking on swarms of incompetent (and often times respawning) enemies and seeing spectacular set piece after set piece. Only Modern Warfare 2 will deviate from that and add actual AI and give the player some freedom in how to approach situations, be it with stealth or otherwise, which is probably another reason they don't call it COD.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Baillie
    @T0mF5: Yeah, obviously the MP40 is a good weapon, but it's nowhere near as overpowered to the rest of the arsenal like the M16 was.
    jok3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jok3r

In my opinion, there was just something much more 'epic' about CoD4s campaign that is just lacking here. The missions aren't really that fun to me, I simply enjoyed certain moments in  CoD4 more which made me not notice the bad AI as much, if that makes sense. hahah.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Baillie

Yeah, I think everyone agrees that the campaign was much more enjoyable in 4 than it was in WaW.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By toowalrus

I've really only played the first level, and it seemed alright. I really enjoy the multilayer component, though. I'm almost ready to prestige. Even if it does borrow everything from COD4, It's COD4 in WWII, and if you don't share Jeff's random hatred of WWII, it's a great game.

aceedkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By aceedkins

The soundtrack to the game is ridiculous. It's almost disrespectful given the subject matter. Take a look at this trailer

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By VWGTI

I rather enjoyed it. I don't quite understand the hate, especially from people who hate it simply because Treyarch put it out. It's a solid game and worth a play. There are too many shitty FPS on the market to call this game bad.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Baillie
    @aceedkins said:
    " The soundtrack to the game is ridiculous. It's almost disrespectful given the subject matter. Take a look at this trailer "
    That song isn't in the game though, is it?
    jok3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jok3r

It's not even as though I want to dislike this game. I'm really trying to enjoy it a lot. It's just not making it easy because its really not good.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pause422

Yes, CoD WaW is pretty terrible and an embarassment of a game. Most of us know this.

MrTpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrTpants
    @Baillie said:
    "@aceedkins said:
    " The soundtrack to the game is ridiculous. It's almost disrespectful given the subject matter. Take a look at this trailer "
    That song isn't in the game though, is it?"
    no its fan made though badass
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kmdrkul

All CoD games have had the worst fucking AI on the planet.  I haven't the slightest doubt in my mind that MW2 will as well.  Luckily these games have several redeemable qualities about them...

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Optiow

I did not mind World at War, although I still think the best Call of Duty is Finest Hour.

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By T0mF5
    @Baillie said:
    "@T0mF5: Yeah, obviously the MP40 is a good weapon, but it's nowhere near as overpowered to the rest of the arsenal like the M16 was. "

If anything  it is more overpowered then the M16.
    jok3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jok3r
    @T0mF5 said:
    " @Baillie said:
    "@T0mF5: Yeah, obviously the MP40 is a good weapon, but it's nowhere near as overpowered to the rest of the arsenal like the M16 was. "
    If anything  it is more overpowered then the M16. "
    i agree
    aceedkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By aceedkins
    @MrTpants: No. That isn't fanmade.
    teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By teh_destroyer

For SP, COD4 was much better but I had a hard time getting into the multiplayer. COD5 SP is pretty weak, but the MP keeps it together and makes it fantastic.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheMustacheHero

You should hate Cod:WaW, Commissioner Gordon is in it!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Pie

All i know is that the last mission has a very "epic" moment and that although im quite good at Online id much rather play a different FPS online

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By T0mF5

@Pie said:

"All i know is that the last mission has a very "epic" moment and that although im quite good at Online id much rather play a different FPS online"

I did not encounter any "epic" moment when I played the last mission.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CoverlessTech

IMHO all the single player campaigns in all the CoD games have sucks. CoD4 had the privilege of a different setting so it felt fresh but it was really just a coat of paint on the same crappy linear gameplay that is featured in all the games. CoD is about multiplayer plain and simple.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hairydutchman
    @T0mF5 said:
    "

@Pie said:

"All i know is that the last mission has a very "epic" moment and that although im quite good at Online id much rather play a different FPS online"

"
    I thought the ending was pretty cool.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for szayelaporrogranz
    SzayelAporroGranz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hairydutchman said:
    " @T0mF5 said:
    "

@Pie said:

"

No Caption Provided
    "
    Yea same here and honestly I think it was more epic than the ending in COD4.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pie
    @SzayelAporroGranz said:
    " @Hairydutchman said:
    " @T0mF5 said:
    "

@Pie said:

"

No Caption Provided
    "
    Yea same here and honestly I think it was more epic than the ending in COD4. "
    Thanks for agreeing with me guys
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Baillie

HUGS.

grawly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By grawly

I didn't have any of those problems with the single player portion of the game, it was very forgettable though. As for the multiplayer I hated it, the levels with vehicles were just unplayable and grenade launchers must be the stupidest weapon to ever be implemented into a multiplayer fps.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Pie
    @grawly said:
    " I didn't have any of those problems with the single player portion of the game, it was very forgettable though. As for the multiplayer I hated it, the levels with vehicles were just unplayable and grenade launchers must be the stupidest weapon to ever be implemented into a multiplayer fps. "
    Grenade launchers were in Moder warfare
    grawly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By grawly
    @Pie: True, but it was made pretty vocal that they were disliked and Treyarch didn't remove them.
    giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By giyanks22

Veteran is not full of bad AI Veteran is like the real fucking war.

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By T0mF5
    @PeasForFees said:
    "@SzayelAporroGranz said:
    " @Hairydutchman said:
    " @T0mF5 said:
    "

@Pie said:

"

No Caption Provided
    "
    I'm sorry but you are wrong"
    I honestly don't see how putting down a flag can be more epic then CoD4's ending
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pie
    @T0mF5 said:
    " @PeasForFees said:
    "@SzayelAporroGranz said:
    " @Hairydutchman said:
    " @T0mF5 said:
    "

@Pie said:

"

No Caption Provided
    "
    I'm sorry but you are wrong"
    I honestly don't see how putting down a flag can be more epic then CoD4's ending "
    It just evoked more of a feeling from me then shooting that fool.
    T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By T0mF5
    @Pie:
    Did you even realize that your entire team died?
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pie
    @T0mF5 said:
    " @Pie: Did you even realize that your entire team died? "
    Yes I did. Good stuff
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pie
    @T0mF5:
    Did you even realize that i dont care what your opionion is?
    Ottosmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ottosmann

Go play CoD4.  Its far superior.
    boko52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By boko52

In my opinion They both had pretty good Sp and the multiplayer was great on cod 4 but on Waw the multiplayer is awful, guns seem to be nearly as unconstant as the gears of war 2 weapons, Hey look i shot you 6 times and your still not dead, wait what you shot me once and i died ? what ?, Juggernaught seems to have gotten even worse, i swear its twice as powerful as it was on cod 4 : /

I just dont like this game, theo nly thing decent about it is the zombies mode, great fun and great story, i even wasted money to treyarch buying two zombies maps : /

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By calidan777

LOL hit detection,maybe you just missed.I played through the game on normal and I'm about halfway through it on veteran and can tell you that on veteran the ai doesn't just sit there in front of you,lol.And WaW's campaign was just as good as Modern Warfare's (even better at times).Sorry if I'm coming across as a dick,I'm just sick of people hating on this game for no good reason other than it's not CoD4.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By asurastrike

W@W felt like loosely associated missions rather than a progressive story (like what was in COD4). Even in coop I didn't feel that compelled to finish the game. Oh and...wtf was with the way it did splitscreen? Instead of cutting the screen in half it had 2 smaller screens set diagonal to eachother so 40% of my TV wasnt even being used.

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually liked the single player and hated the online. The online is full of gliches (which have now been fixed I know, but there still shouldn't have been any in the first place). People throwing random frags across the map and killing you as soon as you spawn, dogs that spawn kill you constantly, all of the later guns are over powered and there isn't that many good guns at lower ranks, The fact that snipers are all around quick scoping and no scoping and if you zoom in for more than a second your a noob. All of these and probobly many more I can't think of right now is why I don't like W@W's online.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.