Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Nov 15, 2013

The tenth installment of the long-running shooter franchise introduces a brand new storyline, where the United States is under threat from a coalition of South American nations, and must employ a special group of operatives known as "Ghosts" to survive.

Reviews are out!...Same Explosion Different year.

• 80 results
    jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jimmyfenix
    No Caption Provided

Another year....another Call of Duty game. Here are the reviews for this game.

Eurogamer – 7/10

Joystiq – 3.5/5

Videogamer – 7/10

CVG – 7/10

NowGamer – 7.5/10

Destructoid – 5/10

IGN – 8.8/10

DigitalSpy – 4/5

USGamer – 3/5

GameTrailers – 7/10

OPM – 8/10

GiantBomb – 3/5

Gamespot – 8/10

Kotaku – ‘Not Yet’

OXM – 8/10

Eurogamer.de – 8/10

Gamestar Hungary – 8.5/10

Polygon – 6.5/10

Lazygamer.net – 8.3/10

Games.ch – 90/100

Gamefront – 74/100

Push Square – 6/10

We all know as long as COD sells 20 million copies we will see the same game over and over again but what if this game does not sell well as Blops2 ? Will that finally convince Activison to change Call of Duty or put all of the time and resources in to Destiny to compete with Titanfall ?

It still amazes me how a franchise defined a Generation with COD 4 and has ended up like this.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

1) I can still see this selling well

2) Activision will run this shit into the ground because it's what they do. Call of Duty is still going to be around for the next couple of years at least.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By impartialgecko
    @jimmyfenix said:

It still amazes me how a franchise defined a Generation with COD 4 and has ended up like this.

Doesn't surprise me at all, look at what happened to Need For Speed or Tony Hawk. They didn't have as many imitators as Call of Duty, but they were the hot shit of their day and both got less and less interesting and creative as a result of the annualisation. Frankly Call of Duty has had the best of it. Black Ops 2 was pretty damn experimental for a sequel in a long-running annual franchise and I think the only game in the series I didn't really enjoy was Black Ops 1. We all saw this coming. Still, 7-8's are pretty good for the equivalent of Tony Hawk's American Wasteland.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramone said:

2) Activision will run this shit into the ground because it's what they do. Call of Duty is still going to be around for the next couple of years at least.

Conventional business best practices say you cut your cash cows once they stop making profits at the level they used to. Unless these games are getting cheaper and cheaper to make, I can't see them sticking with the franchise for much longer if it doesn't top the sales of the last game.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By IIGrayFoxII

@adam1808: Don't forget Guitar Hero as well.

The game is going to sell for sure. I don't think for one second that good (not great) reviews are going to put a chink in the Call of Duty armor anytime soon. Playing the new COD on the new consoles will be a must for a lot of people (and I will include admit myself too, if I make a last minute console purchase). They did throw the gauntlet at Grand Theft Auto 5 for breaking all those sales records, saying they "look forward to getting them back". We'll see if they do.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually a little bummed, for whatever reason I was actually thinking about picking it up this year (haven't really played since since BLOPS 1). But according to Jeff they took out Headquarters and Search and Destroy which are two of the like 4 modes that I actually played when I used to play. So I doubt I'll pick it up, especially because these games hardly even go on sale.

I just wish people still played COD4 on PS3, I'd just play this shit still. :(

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Ramone

@adam1808 said:

@ramone said:

Conventional business best practices say you cut your cash cows once they stop making profits at the level they used to. Unless these games are getting cheaper and cheaper to make, I can't see them sticking with the franchise for much longer if it doesn't top the sales of the last game.

No they don't. At all.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

But what do you mean exactly by "ended up like this" ? You mean ended up as a competent shooter?

These aren't 3/10's we're looking at. Call of Duty is still a good-to-great experience depending on who you ask. It may have not added or changed much of the formula but what is there still gets it right a lot more than the majority of it's contemporaries. Everyone moans and complains so much about this franchise continuing to deliver a solid title each year - and what is equally disturbing as it is depressing is that the internet seems to be ecstatic about the fact that a new game came out and it only got average scores. Instead of being bummed that we only got an average rather than awesome game, everyone is cheering as some weird inner demons are satiated through the failure, or rather minor shortcoming, of a popular franchise.

Personally I haven't played Call of Duty since Black Ops which I thoroughly enjoyed. You know how much I was bothered by Black Ops 2 and Modern Warfare 3 being very similar to their predecessors? Not at all, because why would I be? Do people really think that the failure of CoD will magically burst open the floodgates and we'll suddenly drown in quality shooters the likes of which we've never seen? The entire situation is baffling. Nothing is stopping developers from creating an amazing new First Person Shooter experience. If it will be good then it will sell and be successful. It isn't CoD that is holding back the industry through it's success in iterative game design, it's the industries inability to do better than CoD that is holding everyone else back from enjoying something different.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TruthTellah

I may be disappointed, but I'm not surprised that it turned out to just be a stop-gap title as work is done on the real next Call of Duty game.

What -really- disappoints me though is word that the game apparently greatly under-utilizes the dog, and that's just awful. I can accept a lot of letdowns in the game, but CoD had a clear win with more dog. What a missed opportunity.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jimmyfenix

@humanity: Fair enough. We will see if Titanfall can move the FPS genre forward.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By AMyggen

@adam1808 said:

@ramone said:

That's not true at all. Even if the sales of the COD franchise stagnates, those games still make a SHIT TON of money. I mean, enormous amounts. There's a reason EA has been going after COD for so long, it's because it's the most profitable franchise in the industry bar none (maybe WOW has it beat? At least some years ago). Of course Activision would like it to sell better and better, but even if it doesn't it'll still make them a fuckton of money.

Activision will do as Activision does, they will milk this motherfucker dry. They've done it countless times before, and they'll do it again. Activision doesn't give a fuck about quality as long as the games are profitable, and COD will be profitable for a long, long time to come.

And I don't think worse reviews will do much to the sales. People who play COD MP will still buy COD. More of the same? No surprise there. Most of them won't complain about that at all. It's one of the most "review proof" franchises in the business.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Humanity

@humanity: Fair enough. We will see if Titanfall can move the FPS genre forward.

Honestly I doubt it but everyone in games media seems to be very stoked so maybe the press knows something we don't because the gameplay, apart from some light parkour action, doesn't seem all that different than what we've been playing for years.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all know as long as COD sells 20 million copies we will see the same game over and over again but what if this game does not sell well as Blops2 ? Will that finally convince Activison to change Call of Duty or put all of the time and resources in to Destiny to compete with Titanfall ?

This comment leaves me scratching my head because Destiny looks like a next gen Borderlands with a more serious setting and presentation and Titanfall looks like Halo Mark 2. Which is to say I have less than 0 interest in Titanfall but am pretty much a lock to buy Destiny.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

You know a game is bad when it receives an 8.8...

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Samaritan

It won't be this game, but the next Call of Duty game that you start to see sales drop, if consumers react to this game the same way critics did. So I still fully expect a stupid number of sales for this thing.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A game that is perfect doesn't need to change. Buying 3 copies (360, PS3, Xbox One)

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Darji

That is really the first time that a COD game gets called out because it is so similar to the one before. What happened here? Did Activision not pay this time?

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So all of the other times that it was basically the same game were fine because....?

Like whatever I'm sure that the multiplayer will still be the same CoD multiplayer that everyone wants.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You know a game is bad when it receives an 8.8...

but 8.7 and 8.9 still constitute "great"

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By billyhoush

My PS4 copy should be arriving in the mail today. I think I'm going to exchange it for Killzone.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billyhoush: a game which in contrast has changed it gameplay up dramatically in recent years.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do wonder if they skipped this year and released this game Fall 2014 instead it would get a point bump in its score.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Sooty

Call of Duty defined a generation of FPS and then sold itself down the river. At least Street Fighter IV, arguably among the top five of the most influential and important games this generation only came out with a few cheap upgrades. (4 as of 2014, 3 cheap, 1 free)

Mass Effect didn't flood the market with games either. I can't think of another game as being Call of Duty, Mass Effect and Street Fighter levels of influential, BioShock? I never thought BioShock was particularly influential, aside from audio logs being everywhere thereafter.

To be honest if it wasn't for Call of Duty 4 we may have all been better off, the surge of XP systems in multiplayer and generic shoot guys gameplay might have been less overwhelming.

It's unbelievable they are still using that fucking Quake III engine. Jesus Christ.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Poppduder

Jim Sterling using "bourgeois" to describe graphical fidelity. Groan.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

So the dog didn't help it, huh?

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like 106 people had early access to a PS4. Lucky dogs!
    Looks like 106 people had early access to a PS4. Lucky dogs!

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Wow, I am quite surprised at the Gametrailers review. Those people seem to love Call of Duty.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo, you play as a dog. That's instantly worth 7/10 at least.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel

Straight from Jeff's review:

"The game actually rewards you for teabagging."

Whoever thought this was good idea needs to be taken into a dark room and "interrogated" under the light of a single, bare lightbulb.

Interrogator: "The numbers. WHAT DO THEY MEAN?!"

Developer: "I, what? No, I was just--"

*Brutally silenced via real-life teabagging*

In all seriousness, this isn't 2000. Who thought this was a good idea?

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Whoever thought this was good idea needs to be taken into a dark room and "interrogated" under the light of a single, bare lightbulb.

I am eagerly waiting for the Bombcast tonight.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@hailinel said:

Reminds me of Shadowrun. There was a viral achievement for teabagging people.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By chiablo

@ramone said:

At least there's no plastic peripherals to clog up our living room this time.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oddly enough, no one ever forced you to buy a bundle with an RC car or cheap night vision goggles.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By ArtisanBreads

This game will sell, yes, but will it sell as much is the question. Activision definitely doesn't want their metacritic average dipping below 80 I'll tell you that much.

@shivermetimbers said:

Wow, I am quite surprised at the Gametrailers review. Those people seem to love Call of Duty.

I think it's pretty hard to look at Battlefield 4 and then this game and not be pretty disappointing. BF4 is probably the best looking game I have ever seen. Plus it has 64 players and all the rest. From their review, they really loved BF 4.

@jdh5153 said:

A game that is perfect doesn't need to change. Buying 3 copies (360, PS3, Xbox One)

hahaha

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Humanity

Oddly enough, no one ever forced you to buy a bundle with an RC car or cheap night vision goggles.

As opposed to all those other games where people were forced to buy those special limited editions?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EXTomar

Lets be clear that this game will probably sell fine if not well but I also feel that players are bored with it.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153: This is the funniest thing I've read on this site in weeks.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would you go so far as to say Same Giant Bomb?

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's finally happening...the review scores are falling...

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This is the first CoD I'm skipping since I bought Call of Duty 4. It'll still sell like fucking crazy because of the casual crowd, but I'm hoping there's some kind of decline.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The wheels coming off CoD would be the best possible start to the new gen.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By colourful_hippie

Hey, the review scores are finally in line with what that stale, repetitive franchise really is...well except for IGN's score but they always over inflate their scores even when the text review sounds like something that should be rated lower

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jimbo said:

The wheels coming off CoD would be the best possible start to the new gen.

It's a brave new world.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By circlenine

@humanity: One time I went into a GameStop to look at the used GBA games as they were clearing them out to see if there were any that I'd like and the clerk told me that he had hired a hitman to murder my entire family unless I preorded 3 games, at least 2 of which had to be the most expensive packages of preorder, bought a disc cleaning kit for each system I own, and subscribed to Game Informer for 2 years.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Aegon

@jdh5153 said:

Out of all your posts that have made people scratch their head and wonder if you're serious, I think this is the best one yet. Hilarious stuff.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Humanity
    Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the Simpsons of video games. It's so LCD and awful but still rakes in dumptrucks full of cash. The best you can do is be bitter about it and go play COD2.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stockholders: I don't want the fun, creative free running game. I want the fun, creative money making game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.