Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Braid

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 06, 2008

Manipulate time to complete puzzles in this 2D platform game made by indie developer Jonathan Blow.

Braid PC requirements are pathetic.

• 58 results
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Meowayne

You would think that a 2D low-res game like Braid would run on  current Netbooks or desktops that are a couple of years old. But no.
    Who could have guessed that the game runs like crap on an EEE PC with 1.6 ghz, 2GB ram and 128 megs of video memory? A netbook that, to put things into perspective, runs World of Goo with constant max FPS, and even runs HL2 at aceptable speeds?

Yes, that's right. Half-Life 2 runs smoother than Braid on low-spec machines.

And there I was, counting on the quality of a 2D XBLA game port, hoping to be able to play it. Too bad.

This is just sad.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb

Do you have a XB360? =/

Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Superchris129

I'm sure there's all sorts of weird things with the time bending stuff that requires lots of power.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Meowayne
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Do you have a XB360? =/"
    Yes. But I wanted to have it on the netbook. You know, portable. For the university.

The game runs at about 50% speed with 5-10 fps.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Endogene
    Meowayne said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    Yes. But I wanted to have it on the netbook. You know, portable. For the university.The game runs at about 50% speed with 5-10 fps."
    My laptop specs are somewhat worse that your and i am also having quite some slowdown, most bothersome is the input lag. You would assume that a 2D game that does not try to do do any crazy layer effects would run fine on older laptops.

Luckily it was the demo i was playing.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Meowayne

Well, I just tried the game on a desktop PC with better specs. It runs very fluidly..

... but the entire game is one big graphical glitchy mess and you can't see anything.

Great job on that port.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

Low res? As I recall, all Braid assets are made at 1080p resolution. Factor in everything it does regarding physics and their effect on time travel, and the tons and tons of animation every sprite in the game has. A lot of work went in to developing Braid's art style and it goes beyond simple 2D graphics and simple 2D gameplay. I'm not saying the PC port is spectacular or anything but maybe you aren't giving it enough credit. There's a lot of layers and a lot of shaders and effects going on in the background to make Braid look the way it looks.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Meowayne
    Low res? As I recall, all Braid assets are made at 1080p resolution

Oh, interesting that you mention this. The PC version of the game actually requires that your graphics card and monitor can display at least 1080px horizontally- if you don't, the right side of the game is cut off. Wow. Sad³

And I'm not complaining about the artstyle and craft of Braid in any way. The game looks spectacular. But it's still a sprite-based 2D platformer, and a sprite-based 2D platformer can not require a high-end graphics card. There's nothing in this game that justifies it not running properly with a 128mb hardware graphics accelerator, a GHz processor and 2GB of ram.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By mracoon

Every time I start it up it crashes and I can't understand why. If my computer can run Left 4 Dead on normal settings then surely this should run very smoothly. I don't if the crashing is related to the system requirements but the game seems to be running badly on other peoples PCs too.

Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Slunks

Played through the entire game last night and only had issues with the screen, which I fixed via the settings. I believe that the requirements are not low because the entire level is happening at once -- from the weather effects, enemies, time effects, puzzles, cannons, Tim -- I'm sure if the code could be seen, it would be flipping out all of the time. I'm not solely blaming this for a bad set of requirements, but I'm sure it's part of it. Braid is a pretty heavy set of graphics for a 2D game, as well!

Also, I didn't experience any in-game graphical glitches, and I even was alt-tabbing throughout the game. Little weird, but I know this varies from PC to PC.

Do you have more trouble on certain levels than others? For instance, the first Hunt level compared to something bigger?

bathurstt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bathurstt

I had the same issue, it's really confusing. However, I managed to get the game to run somewhat decent after reading the readme.txt that comes with the game.

I purchased the game through steam, so I changed the launch options and added the following: -no_vsync -no_post

I think you can do the same by right clicking on the desktop icon and changing the "Target" field.

Give it a try...

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By myke_tuna

Yeah, I don't have the game, but I figure it is a lot more complex than it really is. Otherwise, I'm sure Braid would've came out on something like the PS2 and/or Wii. However, it DOES seem like the port is all kinds of fucked up from these anecdotes.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Meowayne said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    The game runs at about 50% speed with 5-10 fps."
    That's terrible...
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Snail

Well, that is a surprise.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Braid is only fully unleashed with the power of the Xbox 360.

PC...LOL.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Drebin_893

Hmm, I know I'll get hate but....

This is why PC gaming is becoming increasingly niche.

**Runs**

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

PC gaming is becoming increasingly niche because someone made a shitty port? Mind. Blown. Also, Braid is a niche game. And there are far more (and more worthy) indie games on PC if that's what you're into. Just saying. You can't run from your ignorance.

Anyway, my PC can most certainly run this, but I won't support that attitude. Nothing justifies a shoddy port like this.

MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MC_Izawa

Braid scans your Steam list to see how many indie games you own.  If you have none, the game runs at very slow speeds because it assumes you couldn't handle its subtle, mature, and artistic nature.  Nick Suttner can run this game on his iPhone because he 'gets' it.

shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By shulinchung

I don't know if it's proper to say that PC gaming is becoming niche, but it seems to me that nowadays, when developers port a PC-rooted franchise onto a console(especially 360 and PS3), they'll retune the level, balance, difficulty, control, and even some core game mechanics to make the game work and not like a poor port. However when they port a console-rooted franchise onto PC, most of them don't bother all the fine tuning, and when they start a cross-platform franchise, they usually seem to make 360/PS3 version thier primary version in terms of game design(graphically, most developers still respect what a PC can do, though)
    With all due respect , I am not bashing any platform though, since I was a PC gamer back in the good old PC PFS/RPG golden age. The above is just my own opinion because I feel that the genre I loved on PC(FPS and RPG) is especially becoming increasingly console-oriented in terms of game design. Even id shift their primary platform(according to Todd Hollenshead), I still remember back in the old days, the xbox version of doom 3 is completely a butchered version from PC. Sigh......

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Diamond

I think it's kind of funny when everyone brings up 'shitty port' when their shitty PC can't run an Xbox 360 game well.  Look, the 360 is a lot more powerful than you obviously think it is.  Braid does some crazy stuff that no other 2D game does.  Why should it run well on ancient crap hardware?  The port probably isn't completely optimal, but it's far far from a 'simple low res 2d game'...

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Fail.

Well, at least World of Goo runs good.
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ZeroCast

Maybe you need to learn how to use some command-line options, it really helps these days you know.

The game has been running well on my 5 years old PC and your claims that it has pathetic system requirements is invalid.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Drebin_893 said:
    "Hmm, I know I'll get hate but....This is why PC gaming is becoming increasingly niche.**Runs**"

You've gotten it backwards. The PC has always been niche, so we get shit ports.

I haven't played Braid, but I bet you'll find that Braid does not take full advantage of the GPU and relies heavily on multicore processors. Same old shitty port story.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

damn, braid seems like it could run in a flash browser.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Al3xand3r
    ZeroCast said:
    "Maybe you need to learn how to use some command-line options, it really helps these days you know.

The game has been running well on my 5 years old PC and your claims that it has pathetic system requirements is invalid."
    So, why don't you tell him exactly what command line options you used, as well as your compy's specs, rather than insult him? Not that having command line options solve issues should be accepted, as if an option is so important it should be in the options of the game, but anyway, maybe he can at least play it if you help instead of be an asshole to him.
    bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bwooduhs

Braid runs fine on my laptop which is mid-range.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crunchUK

computowned

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Cirdain

PC works but I get some serious tearing in the game I use the xbox controller.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Diamond
    Bellum said:
    You've gotten it backwards. The PC has always been niche, so we get shit ports. I haven't played Braid, but I bet you'll find that Braid does not take full advantage of the GPU and relies heavily on multicore processors. Same old shitty port story.
    And your advice on how they should offload Braid's non-graphical workload to the GPU?  Should it require a Nvidia 8x00 card or better and use CUDA?
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Presumably, if the game were properly optimized it wouldn't be a problem. You act as if real-time 2d games are novel.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ZeroCast
    Al3xand3r said:
    "ZeroCast said:
    "Maybe you need to learn how to use some command-line options, it really helps these days you know.

The game has been running well on my 5 years old PC and your claims that it has pathetic system requirements is invalid."
    So, why don't you tell him exactly what command line options you used, as well as your compy's specs, rather than insult him? Not that having command line options solve issues should be accepted, as if an option is so important it should be in the options of the game, but anyway, maybe he can at least play it if you help instead of be an asshole to him."
    Relax , i wasn't trying to insult him or anything, he keeps saying stuff unaccounted for, Braid doesn't need a high-end graphics card to run properly and if i were him i wouldn't run it on a EEE PC in the first place.

Here is what you need to do Meowayne: put the following arguments in the "Target" section of a Shortcut's properties, or run Braid from a command prompt.
    Example:
    braid.exe -60fps -windowed -no_post
    (Run Braid with the frame rate forced to 60 frames per second, in a window, without postprocessing).

-no_vsync : The game will not synch to the vertical refresh. This may allow the game to run a little faster, but you will see tearing in the image.

You can change the 60fps down to 10 if you like, the game might run  much smother for you that way.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Al3xand3r

I suppose -no_post will be the actually helpful command here, how much does it change the game's look?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Meowayne
    Diamond said:
    Braid does some crazy stuff that no other 2D game does.
    No.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Diamond
    Meowayne said:
    "Diamond said:
    No. "
    Yes.
    Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By Slunks
    Meowayne said:
    "Diamond said:
    No. "
    Very elaborate!

Now it just seems as if you posted this thread to bash the game. Points to you, sir.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Meowayne
    Slunks said:
    Very elaborate!Now it just seems as if you posted this thread to bash the game. Points to you, sir."
    I love the game. It's awesome.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38  Edited By jakob187
    BlazeHedgehog said:
    "Low res? As I recall, all Braid assets are made at 1080p resolution. Factor in everything it does regarding physics and their effect on time travel, and the tons and tons of animation every sprite in the game has. A lot of work went in to developing Braid's art style and it goes beyond simple 2D graphics and simple 2D gameplay. I'm not saying the PC port is spectacular or anything but maybe you aren't giving it enough credit. There's a lot of layers and a lot of shaders and effects going on in the background to make Braid look the way it looks. "
    Alright then.  How about we factor everything that Crysis takes to run it...

Why does a game like BRAID need the requirements of running Crysis on MINIMUM settings?
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Linkyshinks

My PC will piss on those specs. I've got already anyway.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By thiago
    BlazeHedgehog said:
    "Low res? As I recall, all Braid assets are made at 1080p resolution. Factor in everything it does regarding physics and their effect on time travel, and the tons and tons of animation every sprite in the game has. A lot of work went in to developing Braid's art style and it goes beyond simple 2D graphics and simple 2D gameplay. I'm not saying the PC port is spectacular or anything but maybe you aren't giving it enough credit. There's a lot of layers and a lot of shaders and effects going on in the background to make Braid look the way it looks. "

So what? That's nothing close to what an actual 3D FPS requires. The bigger sprites would only require more memory and maybe longer loading times, but it wouldn't affect the actual game speed. It is impossible that a 2D game has more physics and an AAA title.

This is a crappy port. Period.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Diamond
    jakob187 said:
    Why does a game like BRAID need the requirements of running Crysis on MINIMUM settings?
    My computer can run Crysis on minimum easily, but probably can't run Braid.  Crysis on min isn't impressive.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

The problem is likely that like most PC games its gotta be optimized for a wide range of systems though this is usually accomplished by general optimization, where as the console version is optimzed specifically.
    I'm sure a patch will be released that fixes most things as i understand it the pc version still had the barest of development team size.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Diamond

OK, I just decided to try out the PC version demo because of this thread.  Game runs FLAWLESSLY on my PC.  60FPS, no drops.  The requirements are fine, maybe there's some bug, but if your PC is worse than mine, it's really fucking time to upgrade.

edit - I'm pretty sure the game disabled the post processing effects now that I played more, I didn't see any of the VCR-style effects when rewinding time that happen in the 360 version.  My PC is technically weaker than a 360 except in RAM, so I actually didn't expect this good performance.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By weltal

Figured I'd give the game a try on my PC what with this thread being here and all. Download it and go to launch and I get a TODO error. Nice. Blow's solution doesn't really work, either.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jakob187
    Diamond said:
    "jakob187 said:
    My computer can run Crysis on minimum easily, but probably can't run Braid.  Crysis on min isn't impressive."
    Right, but even at minimum...I can guarantee that there is more work going on than there is in Braid.

Hence...I ask why the FUCK Braid seems to need such high requirements when something like Crysis could run on what Braid requires...
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Diamond
    jakob187 said:
    "Diamond said:
    "jakob187 said:
    My computer can run Crysis on minimum easily, but probably can't run Braid.  Crysis on min isn't impressive."
    Right, but even at minimum...I can guarantee that there is more work going on than there is in Braid.

Hence...I ask why the FUCK Braid seems to need such high requirements when something like Crysis could run on what Braid requires...
    "
    Read above, Braid runs great on my PC.  Post processing seems off, but still looks pretty close to the full Braid experience.  60fps with no drops, which is more than I can say about Crysis at minimum, which looks almost like a Wii game anyways.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By RHCPfan24

That sucks. Sorry to hear about that and no I am definitely not going to buy it....again. That is why the 360 version is so awesome! *don't hit me*

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jakob187
    Diamond said:
    "Read above, Braid runs great on my PC.  Post processing seems off, but still looks pretty close to the full Braid experience.  60fps with no drops, which is more than I can say about Crysis at minimum, which looks almost like a Wii game anyways."
    Hadn't read it because you were typing while I was typing probably.  lol  I read it, and that's just weird that yours is performing fine but everyone else is having such a huge issue with it.

Regardless, it's still kind of ridiculous to ask of a 2D game...despite all the physics stuff and whatnot.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HandsomeDead

The Braid PC requirements should just be to have an Xbox 360, a broadband subscription and a screen to play it on.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Absurd

System Requirements

• Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP / Vista / 7
      • Processor: 1.4GHz or faster
      • Memory: 768 MB or more
      • Hard Disk Space: 200 MB or more
      • Video Card: tbd
      • DirectX® Version: DirectX® 9.0c
      • Controller Support: Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

It looks like it should run easily on your laptop?

Edit: Runs perfect on my computer ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.