Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 19, 2008

Widely considered a spiritual successor to the studio's Guilty Gear series, BlazBlue is a fighting game with highly-detailed hand-drawn character graphics and a story involving sorcery and science.

Japan > North America when it comes to playing fighting games.

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By Ouroboros
    Blazblue, what a game - and like any game it's sucess really hinges on the multiplayer.  Clearly the best time to play this or any other fighting game online is right now, past midnight in North America.  Right now its still pretty early in the Land of the Rising Sun.  I've have had a ton of excellent fights against Taokakas, Arakunes, Litchies...man one really amazing LItchie I fought 3 times in an hour, it was embaressing, she won every single fight.

I find fights during 'the day' or when North America is playing is still good but Japanese people > Canadians/Americans playing this game.  They know how to play Jin and not be cheap about it, they can destroy you with NU and they can make Taokaka incredible.  Specifically they have honour - they dont drop any matches, they always have their voices set to Japanese, they always let the full intro and outro go even when the fight is over and you happen to win.  I have not found any of them to use Tager but that might be just me.

Even in Street Fighter 4 - while you'd get the Ken spams of North America, a player from Japan took the character seriously and I never had maybe only one total fierce shuryuken total per match with them.  I always looked for Japanese prefered rooms in Street Fighter 4 just because of this, the fights were a lot more mature and interesting.

What do you guys think about this, am I just nuts or do we just suck at playing fighting games?  Or games in general?

On a side note, is this just me but does it seem like both the rage quitter and the rage quit-e are both punished in Blazblue?  I noticed my incomplete games now is at 2 - one from earlier in the day when it said "lost connection" during the fight, which I only could assume he dropped/quit from the fight.  The second happened when I quit the fight when I for some reason challenged a dude whos name was all in red.  Not knowing what this means (this means guy is prone to rage quitting) he, I assume, quit during the match and then my screen froze but the game was still going, the music in the background.  I had control of the guide and I sat there for about a minute until I quit to the dashboard.  So now I'm at 2 but I definently never quit ever boys and girls, dont worry.
    Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ouroboros
    Blazblue, what a game - and like any game it's sucess really hinges on the multiplayer.  Clearly the best time to play this or any other fighting game online is right now, past midnight in North America.  Right now its still pretty early in the Land of the Rising Sun.  I've have had a ton of excellent fights against Taokakas, Arakunes, Litchies...man one really amazing LItchie I fought 3 times in an hour, it was embaressing, she won every single fight.

I find fights during 'the day' or when North America is playing is still good but Japanese people > Canadians/Americans playing this game.  They know how to play Jin and not be cheap about it, they can destroy you with NU and they can make Taokaka incredible.  Specifically they have honour - they dont drop any matches, they always have their voices set to Japanese, they always let the full intro and outro go even when the fight is over and you happen to win.  I have not found any of them to use Tager but that might be just me.

Even in Street Fighter 4 - while you'd get the Ken spams of North America, a player from Japan took the character seriously and I never had maybe only one total fierce shuryuken total per match with them.  I always looked for Japanese prefered rooms in Street Fighter 4 just because of this, the fights were a lot more mature and interesting.

What do you guys think about this, am I just nuts or do we just suck at playing fighting games?  Or games in general?

On a side note, is this just me but does it seem like both the rage quitter and the rage quit-e are both punished in Blazblue?  I noticed my incomplete games now is at 2 - one from earlier in the day when it said "lost connection" during the fight, which I only could assume he dropped/quit from the fight.  The second happened when I quit the fight when I for some reason challenged a dude whos name was all in red.  Not knowing what this means (this means guy is prone to rage quitting) he, I assume, quit during the match and then my screen froze but the game was still going, the music in the background.  I had control of the guide and I sat there for about a minute until I quit to the dashboard.  So now I'm at 2 but I definently never quit ever boys and girls, dont worry.
    Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Sabata

If you love Japan so much why don't you just marry it. >:[

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RsistncE

Yeah they are better at fighting games but I really couldn't give less of a fuck since for me fighting games = meh.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Wolverine
    @Ouroboros: Well of course Japanese people tend to be better at fighting games. Fighting games are made by Japanese developers and are more popular in Japan. It is the exact opposite when it comes down to first person shooters.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By animateria

We don't suck... Japan has a strong arcade culture, and quite frankly they fight so many different players that are seriously dedicated in the game.

Online is a more casual space for fighting game fans, and they prefer arcades even in America,

A lot of high ranking American players are indeed from arcades, and that isn't a coincidence.

Only problem is, the land mass of the US is too big for the big name players to meet up often. For example, There's a strong SF4 presence in California and New York, with a lot of tournaments happening every year. It's not easy for anyone living far away from these concentrated areas to get good at the game. But even these players lament the fact that they just don't have a diverse range of advanced players to play with.

Since Japan is smaller than California, imagine the concentration of players in the nation. Japanese players know a lot of different match-ups and play styles than American players just for that reason alone.

And yes, "Online is Casual". Advanced players do play it, but you get maybe 1 out of 10 on a good day as your opponent.  You don't get the coin-op arcade filter that removes the casuals while leaving only the dedicated.

Also, Blazblue has been out for quite a while in the Arcades in Japan, I'm sure most of the arcade players bought a console copy as well.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

Daigo anyone?

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By animateria
    @JJOR64: That's been shown a billion times.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

North America > Japan when it comes to FPS games.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Europe >>>>>>>>> North America for driving games, in Europe there are things called corners.

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By Serker

I'm a Taokaka player so you know, and I think I'm pretty ahright. I don't seem to play NEARLY as many Jins and Noels as I used to, and the Jins that are left are actually pretty damn good. Noels I can never tell if their good because all of her combos look like button mashy nonsense. I seem to find a mixed bag of fights at pretty much any time of day. I've actually seen a huge Jin backlash since people think having him on your Drive Code Card is the lamest thing since Kens came to SFIV.

Even in SFIV all the Ken's just stayed in Ranked Match and Championship Mode is pretty diverse all day long.

is there a country that is stereotypically better at sandbox games?

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Qorious

They're better at fighting games, but we're usually better in FPS and racing games. =]

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Whisperkill

Tournanment players in America are better

Seriously people love to say how awesome Asian gamers are, and they might be better, but only in an average-per player type ratio

Pros from the West are generally better than pros from the East, in fighters, in shooters, and yes, even in Starcraft.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

North America > Japan when it comes to nuclear warheads.

>.>    <.<    WHAT, IT'S FUCKING TRUE!!!  O_O

Anyways, the Japanese are fucking SICK at fighting games.  I don't know why.  I guess they've got extra ligaments in their thumbs like black people have extra ligaments in their legs...which is why they're good at basketball.  -_-

Fuck, I'm just gonna exit thread left.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iamjohn

Weeaboos vs. Xenophobes... FIGHT!!!

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lemon360

N Americans > japan at fps

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJOR64

Even though this match is NA vs NA, I thought I would show it anyways.  This is Megaman (Honda) vs Justin Wong (Sagat).  Even though Justin Wong is awesome at SF, he can't beat everyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.